Options

DAoC: Labrynth & Me

Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Not too many people play Dark Age of Camelot anymore but recently I did get the Labrynth of the Minotaur expansion pack and well, I have some issues. The labrynth is laggy as frickin hell. Possible reasons:

Graphics: The resolutions on the textures are very high and there are a lot of monsters and player models that have fairly high poly counts. No dynamic shadows, btw.

Zone Lag: More on the server side, nothing really I can do about this one.

CPU Lag: Lots of people running around, throwing spells effects going off, etc. I can see how this can add up.

The real issue is Im getting a little under 20 fps in action in the Labrynth but I do have a custom Built PC featuring a C2D E6400 processor, a gig of DDR2 ram, and a 7600GT which is pretty damn good. Any possible areas I can improve upon to make the frames steady as can be or is this sort of a closed end problem.

Also, I may have mispelt Labrynth several times.

Lucky Cynic on

• Options
    robaalrobaal Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Can't you check the ping somehow in-game?

Obviously you can lower the video settings to see if it's the video card at fault.
    Looking around in the driver settings might also reveal some system-wide settings that might be causing this.

I doubt it's caused by the CPU, unless you have a lot of crap running in the background or something, and even idle programs/services can eat up memory (though I guess low physical memory would mean the more noticeable swapping/short freezes rather than overall lower performance).

I use this Services Guide to see what's safe to disable.

There might also be some other causes specific to your hardware (eg. IIRC some games had problems with dual-core CPUs and required manual assigning to only one of the cores or some on-board sound hardware acceleration issues) which you should find mentioned on the game's support forums.

robaal on
    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra when suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
    At night, the ice weasels come."

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Aye, 2 cores can somtimes be the problem, but from what I have experienced, it really isn't that. The game runs fine as it is. I doubt it's the processor as well because in other areas of the game, well, it works fine, except for the areas that have recently been redone and feature an assload of higher resolution graphics. I guess it probably is just the graphics, which a shame because my 7600gt sure seemed like it could handle anything that was thrown at it. :(

Lucky Cynic on