As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I the only person still playing wii sports?

cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
As a slightly vague way to get fit(ter), I've taken up playing wii sports (specifically boxing) every night, and just finally got my pro status, now I've worked out how to place punches a bit better.
The gx may suck, but I'm still liking this game, despite having it practically since release. There's something cool about playing a game and knowing it's *good* for you in a way.
Plus I enjoy watching my other half do the hula hoop bit :D
Am I the only one still playing this? or are there people still enjoying wii sports and wii fit?

cliffski on

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I got the "Pro" status in boxing within an hour of owning my Wii. There is very little strategy involved. Move left and right until they miss then counter. Repeat.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I was done with Wii Sports after about an hour or two of having opened my Wii's box, but every now and then I'll play some of it with friends. For about fifteen minutes, then we switch to Halo or something, but still. Not terrible for a free little mini-game collection.

Darlan on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My wife, daughter, and I still crack open Wii Sports periodically. I have a bucket load of other games I play on the Wii, plus other multi-player games that I pull out when people come over, so it's not played as much as other stuff.

But yea, it's still a fantastic pick up and play sports game that is still a blast when people come over, or just with your own family.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Wii Bowling never gets old. It's the best game on the disc by a lot.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I still play quite often boxing and tennis with a bunch of friends. Boxing is especially fun. We usually set up some "tournaments" in it. Boxing is great fun, though sometimes a bit too sweaty.

[OT] Hopefully Punch Out will be the first truely awesome, full lenght boxing game.

Zuor on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Still play it occasionally while in a group every now and then. Tennis is still the favorite around here.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ForkesForkes Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wii Bowling never gets old. It's the best game on the disc by a lot.

Wii Bowling usually starts as a drinking game, and ends in a fist fight...

We play the power throws training, the person with the lowest scores is the beer bitch...have to drop whatever they are doing and get someone a beer whenever they ask. Said beer bitch can lose their status by beating the next highest score. Also, in the rules, the beer bitch controls the Wii from then on, being able to play as many times in a row as they want in order to beat the next lowest score.

The best part is when someone else is the beer bitch, slamming your beer because you know they are going to be doing something the don't want to interupt, just so that they have to go get you a new one.

But yeah, we play Wii Bowling a lot...

Forkes on
    siggy-1.jpg
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I play it from time to time, Tennis and Bowling are the most popular.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    2 player boxing is way underrated in my opinion. Most people on the internet seemed to hate it, but I think they just didn't understand it.

People are used to pushing a button repeatedly, having their character not do the 2nd action, and realizing it's because the character is still performing the first action. But as soon as you take away the button and replace it with motion controls, they can't get over the fact that the character they are playing has a set speed.

Differing your punches into hooks and uppercuts were not that responsive, but if you accepted that fact and just worried about the high low game, it was a very fun and balanced multiplayer game. I used to dominate in boxing :).

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been spoiled by the prospect of 1:1 input via whatever dongle ends up bringing it. I also lost interest in boxing when my friend beat the computer by tucking the chuck under her dog's collar and throwing bacon treats around the living room.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Post Blue wrote: »
    I've been spoiled by the prospect of 1:1 input via whatever dongle ends up bringing it. I also lost interest in boxing when my friend beat the computer by tucking the chuck under her dog's collar and throwing bacon treats around the living room.

And yet that was the AI. 2P is always best for a game like that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

And yet that was the AI. 2P is always best for a game like that.
    She doesn't have any other animals.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You could probably charge to see that.

Tal on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh my god now I really want to see Dog Wii Boxing.

Khavall on
  • Options
    SvevinSvevin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Khavall wrote: »

Say hello to your cellmate, Michael Vick.

Svevin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hell no. I still rock this at least once a week.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think the only time I tried boxing after the initial I HAS A WII period, I started laughing so hard at the unresponsive controls that I fell over and just started flailing around.

I beat my mate, and we never tried it again.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Svevin wrote: »

Photoshop needed. Vick, Dogz, bacon, chucks, motes. Anything.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My Dad is still playing Wii Sports.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Working up a sweat drumming in Rock Band > working up a sweat in Wii Sports.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No; I lost all my Miis and now the alley is empty. :(

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    Working up a sweat drumming in Rock Band > working up a sweat in Wii Sports.

I'm not sure what that had to do with anything, but I still have people come over to play Wii Sports. I don't play it myself, though.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    As long as you do the basic move, it's all down to luck with Wii Sports, imo.

I'm waiting for the more accurate Motion Plus add-on so that the game can actually respond to what you are doing, instead of bloody guessing.

So, err.... yeah, I don't play it either (my girlfriend wins all the time).

Noticed it was 90+ days since me and my girlfriend played Wii Fit too, and we only fired it up because we had friends over (I only play the skiing, but since the balance board is actually more accurate than the wii remote, I do have top scores in all of the balance games).

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I still play it.

Also MotionPlus is only another gyroscope

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Svevin wrote: »

Photoshop needed. Vick, Dogz, bacon, chucks, motes. Anything.
    No I demand a youtube video of the dog doing this!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i've played quite a few wii games here and there, but wii sports is the only one i'll happily, continually go back to. admittedly i've never owned a wii, but my mum does and my best mate does, so i've spent a lot of time with the game - from long golf sessions trying to beat that 6 under par, to nights of endless beer and bowling

i think it's the best game on the system, the only game with really satisfying motion controls, and almost certainly the root of nintendo's success this generation. it's easy to underestimate how refined the game is, with its simplistic aesthetic and relatively sparse feature-set, but what it does it does perfectly.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You're not the only one; that's the only game on my Wii I still play.

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm also an occasional fan of doing the jogging on wii fit. Its just a really handy way to keep track of how fit I am (or not). Plus the downhill skiiing is pretty l33t :D.

cliffski on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wii Fit is a pretty decent workout for people who aren't in great shape, like myself. It's surprisingly fun, too.

I doubt Motion Plus is going to change the way Wii Sports is played, though. The game wasn't programmed to respond to 1:1 control.

Of course, Wii Sports 2 is on the way in the new year. Wii Summer Sports or something? It comes with Wii Motion Plus. Can't wait.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    From what I understand, looking at hardware sales compared to software sales, there's a lot of people who buy the Wii and only have Wii Sports. They might pick up Wii Play, but many of them are content with what comes in the box.

My friend who works at an EB has encountered a few of these types. Although I doubt there's anyone like that on this board.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Played a bit when my brother got his Wii. I don't think I've ever played my copy - I still only have one Wiimote.
    I have a friend who's dying to play with me as soon as I get another one though.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png