Options

Recover Deleted Files from HDD

swiftswift Registered User regular
Hi, i was wondering if anyone could me. I've accidentally deleted some photos from my HDD and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good free programme that may enable me to recover them? Thanks.

nexx360.png
swift on

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mac or PC? If you're on a Mac, Data Rescue II is a good standby.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://www.win-freeware.com/REST2514.htm

Try that, the program's worked well for me.

Note that in Vista you will need to run the program from Administrator (or from another user, right click and 'run as administrator'.)

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For PC, I hear this works well:
    http://www.recuva.com/

My work Mac is running 10.5, so Time Machine saves me from those hassles. (so far)

Shens on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a question somewhat similar in that I want to recover some data(my 1000+ photos) from a Hard Drive that has a burnt logic board, is it possible or is it something that is going to cost a lot?

M.D. on
  • Options
    1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have a question somewhat similar in that I want to recover some data(my 1000+ photos) from a Hard Drive that has a burnt logic board, is it possible or is it something that is going to cost a lot?
    If you can find a place that will replace the board, cheaper than transplanting platters in a clean room.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    1ddqd wrote: »
    If you can find a place that will replace the board, cheaper than transplanting platters in a clean room.

Or find one that is the exact same model and revision as the broken one and try to do it yourself.

corky842 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    corky842 wrote: »
    1ddqd wrote: »

Or find one that is the exact same model and revision as the broken one and try to do it yourself.
    Gooooooooood luck [/starfox]

GetDataBack has always worked for me, pretty well, but if the drive has mechanical issues, a program, even one as good as that one, will have issues. You can get a quote from Geek Squad for $50 or so - covers shipping and analysis at a data backup facility - careful, you may have to pay more if they need to do more than a "Level 1" diagnostic on the drive.

1ddqd on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd dig around on google, there must be some open source solutions for data recovery.

Here is an article on infoweek.

And here is a command line program called Scrounge NTFS.

My other advice is to not use the computer you accidentally deleted the files on, at all. Because the more you use the more likely your deleted data is going to be overwritten, by temporary files, expanding page files etc.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'd dig around on google, there must be some open source solutions for data recovery.

Here is an article on infoweek.

And here is a command line program called Scrounge NTFS.

My other advice is to not use the computer you accidentally deleted the files on, at all. Because the more you use the more likely your deleted data is going to be overwritten, by temporary files, expanding page files etc.

Agreed. Any overwrite into deleted space is one more bit/byte gone.

1ddqd on