Options

WMA's to something Itunes can USE on an imac.

The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, is there any free software out there on the internet that'll let me convert WMA's into something Itunes can actually use? It has to be on Itunes, as Garage band can't see them unless they're on there, and my Itunes refuses to open WMA's.

The Last Gent on

• Options
    dodosdodos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Use Quicktime to export the file as an AIFF, which will be lossless. Then convert that in iTunes (or use Max) to convert that into whatever format you'd like.

dodos on
  • Options
    The Last GentThe Last Gent Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Erm, I don't have Quicktime PRo, so there's no way for me to export files that have been opened on quicktime.

The Last Gent on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ...a quick visit to Download.com shows that there are a ton of applications that can perform audio file format conversions. Of these many choices, the most popular appear to be Smart Audio Converter, dBpowerAmp Music Converter, Power MP3 WMA Converter, and Media Monkey.

Hope that helps some

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm hoping and assuming that your WMA's are not DRM'd.

iTunes has had the ability to convert WMA's to anything else for quite some time. That is unless the files have DRM. It should be as simple as drag and drop and iTunes does the rest.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    iTunes can only convert from WMA on the PC version, not the mac version. You might want to try something related to flip4mac, that'll at least let you play the files in quicktime...

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    proXimity wrote: »
    iTunes can only convert from WMA on the PC version, not the mac version. You might want to try something related to flip4mac, that'll at least let you play the files in quicktime...

Sure enough... huh, my OS X copy of iTunes claims to do the same in the help file, but Google supports you 100%.

Download.com does seem to be the best option. Even with flip4mac you seem to need quicktime pro.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"