Options

My breath smells of the nasty.

ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
It doesent seem to matter how much i brush, floss or use mouthwash - my breath stinks. help?

I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
ApexMirage on

• Options
    oncelingonceling Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What's your diet like? How about dentist visits? Are you up to date, etc?

Could be diet related or could be a nasty cavity or even some kind of infection or bacterial condition. A dentist can help with the latter 2 of course. The former not so much. If you are on a diet and burning a lot of fat or the opposite, eat badly, this can cause a problem.

There's also a number of medical issues that cause this but I wouldn't look towards those before ruling other things out.

onceling on
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Obligatory wikipedia article, get!

Halitosis

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do you experience frequent or occasional acid reflux? It may be that your lower esophageal sphincter is not closing properly, allowing wafts of digesting matter within your stomach to escape (plus the burning acidic content of course).

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I've not been to a dentist in some time, so that's undoubtedly it. I cant quite afford it right now, but i'll put it on my priorities list right after housing and food >_>

Any advice for freshening up until then?

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Do you brush your tongue as well?

Al_wat on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Brush all over, gums, roof of your mouth, all over your tongue, sides of your mouth, way back behind your last teeth, everywhere.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you haven't been to the dentist in a while there's a chance that something is building up where regular flossing/brushing can't reach, and only a dental hygenist "deep cleaning" session can get rid of it. At any rate, it's a good idea to go to the dentist, just because.

Brushing the roof and sides of your mouth is actually a bad idea. Don't do that. But do brush your teeth, where your teeth meet your gums, and your tongue. Those places are fine.

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Al_wat wrote: »

I try, but my gag reflex goes crazy. Fear of cock or something.
    All kidding aside, I'll see to brushing 'better', but I was thinking of something along the lines of superman-grade mints or something >_>

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    CruixCruix Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I had a problem similar to this, mints worked okay but it would only take about 10-15 minutes after having a mint or brushing my teeth before the bad smell would come back. I went to the dentist about it and it turned out that it was a cavity in one of my teeth -- I got it filled and haven't had a problem since.

If this is what it is, no amount of brushing or mouth rinsing or taking mints will help it, really, you just have to get yourself to a dentist as soon as you can and take care of it before it turns into something even worse.

Edit: Get one of those toothbrushes where the back of the brush is designed to be used on your tongue. They also make floss-picks that have little tongue scrapers on them. These are both really handy if it isn't any type of cavity. As far as the gag reflex, you just have to keep doing it -- the more you do it the less your gag reflex will bother you.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cruix wrote: »
    As far as the gag reflex, you just have to keep doing it -- the more you do it the less your gag reflex will bother you.

That's what she said!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    before it turns into something even worse.

I'm afraid to even ask. What exactly can it turn into?

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    before it turns into something even worse.

I'm afraid to even ask. What exactly can it turn into?

If you let a cavity get really bad, it'll keep getting deeper and eventually effect the nerve of the tooth. If that happens, you'll end up needing a root canal or the tooth will die and it'll have to be extracted.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    How much does your average cleaning cost?

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    In my small town in Canada it can cost around 80-100 dollars. You could try talking to them about a payment plan deal, but I don't know if there is such a thing, I've always had insurance.

Also, if they find a cavity, it will cost $ to fix that as well.

Phil G. on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    They take x-rays for filling cavities, too. If you don't have a lot of money to spend and suspect you know where the smell is coming from or where the cavity might be, you can tell them and have them only x-ray a portion of your mouth so it's less expensive.

Cruix on
    housesig2.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Phil G. wrote: »
    Also, if they find a cavity, it will cost $ to fix that as well.

Yeah and those can be costly >_<
    I figure I'll see if i can afford a cleaning at a very least and see if at at least helps, and go from there based on their advice although I'd want everything fixed in due time

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A majority of bad breath generates from your tongue (deeper in your mouth). Brush it with toothpaste, THEN use mouthwash. Your breath doesn't need to be minty all day long, just not offensive. You don't need spring fresh breath all the time depending on your job / likelihood of surprise sex.

As long as you keep pressure on your tongue, your gag reflex shouldn't kick in as hard. Unless... like... you gag when ever you eat or drink.

Rye on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Rye wrote: »
    Your breath doesn't need to be minty all day long, just not offensive. You don't need spring fresh breath all the time depending on your job / likelihood of surprise sex.

There's this girl actually >_>

v_v

ApexMirage on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you'd still like to have it checked out by a professional, consider a dental hygienist which might be cheaper than a 'proper' dentist.

There's also the option of free checkups at dental colleges, if there's one in your general area. Personally I'd rather pay for it, but it's a possibility.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Al_wat wrote: »

I try, but my gag reflex goes crazy. Fear of cock or something.
    You'll have to get past that gag reflex. The tongue--specifically the back of the tongue, near where the soft palate is--is where a lot of bad breath starts. If you really cannot get past it, get a tongue cleaner.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Gerbil2309Gerbil2309 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    With regards to your gag reflex, try breathing through your nose while you're doing it. It can help.

Gerbil2309 on
  • Options
    RyeRye Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rye wrote: »
    Your breath doesn't need to be minty all day long, just not offensive. You don't need spring fresh breath all the time depending on your job / likelihood of surprise sex.

There's this girl actually >_>

v_v

When you hang out with this girl, carry some mint gum. Casually ask if she'd like a piece before chewing one yourself. It's unassuming and benign. It's better than asking to wait while you use some mouth wash.

Carrying gum can let you have fresh breath when you need it or when you think you might need it :winky:

However, you should probably still look into it, medically.

Rye on
  • Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Also drink water often to make sure your saliva prodution isn't slow due to dehydration. Dry mouth makes it easier for bacteria to flourish

Siska on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gum and mints do nothing but mask the problem. You might get some temporary results from downing Certs all day (despite the adverse effect of the increased sugar that goes with it), but as the old says goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    ReitenReiten Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It can be your stomach as well. Just an FYI.

Reiten on