As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

First HDTV? What to do with it

Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
So assuming I can motivate myself to wake up at 3 AM tomorrow knowing I have to then work from 7 to 9, I might get a 26" Westinghouse HDTV. Along with a 360. And maybe a camera.

I don't have cable, because I generally just watch everything on my computer, so I was thinking I might as well get an antenna or something so I can get some basic HD channels, as well as whatever cord I'll need to connect the monitor to my laptop.

Reviews say that it comes with a USB cable to upgrade the firmware. That's only for data-transfer, right? I won't be able to use it as a second monitor just by doing that? What kind of cable connects a Dell Vostro 1500 laptop to a TV? Is it just some sort of monitor-input-to-HDMI thing?

As for the antenna, should I just check Radioshack and expect to pay like $10?

Mai-Kero on

• Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The laptop will probably be either DVI or VGA (I can't be bothered to look it up for you). Either is just a £5 bit of wire.

As for what to do with it - 360, some decent games and a weekend off :)

ben0207 on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It should have a VGA port. Check for that.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    AfroJAfroJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If your house is cable ready then you don't need to bother with getting an antenna. Even when cable service is not on the cable line still carries the broadcast channels.

This may not be true for all areas but I'm pretty sure it is.

AfroJ on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Get a blu-ray player or DVD upscan converter-

Find a High Def antenna

Get a DVI to HDMI cable.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're buying an HDTV and a 360 tomorrow, I'm guessing a Blu-Ray player isn't in the budget. No worry. Somewhere out there is a homeless guy who will sell you the 360 HD-DVD attachment for the price of a 40oz, and there are a number of fine films out there on the benighted format, most important of which is Children of Men.

Sure, eventually you'll probably want to go the BD route. But you can still watch some great movies in HD before then.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam