Options

I'm Having Trouble Digesting Food of Any Type

a Deadstara Deadstar Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
This has been going on for about two months now, but I think I've finally pinpointed it. Originally I thought I was lactose-intolerant, and I might still be, but for now I may as well have some other problem. I have also tried taking an element of my diet out of the picture each and every day, and it's now clear that any food will give me problems. Those problems include bloating (small pain from the bloating) and nauseous gas that is unpreventable. This comes after I eat anything, and I tend to eat 4-5x a day with my biggest meals being in the morning and at dinner. I eat healthy and am at a little bit lower weight for my height and age than normal (143 @ 5'10" and 20). Also, I have never had any problems with eating or my stomach so far in my life.

I went to see my doctor recently, but I didn't tell him that it occurred after every meal because I didn't know it at the time, I was just in discomfort from about noon on. Also let me point out that these symptoms only occur after lunch, not-so-much in the morning. He recommended that I have a Gas-X after every meal and take 2 Citrucel a day.

When I was buying these items I saw something called Bean-O and was wondering if I should try that. I think, although I am not a doctor, that I can alleviate these issues if I just take something to help me digest food, would Bean-O do it? Is there anything anyone can recommend? I can really use some help and any is appreciated.

a Deadstar on

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hi,

You are probably suffering of something called IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). A Gastroenterologist should evaluate your problem though.

This is not a life threatening condition, but I am hoping I am wrong regarding the possibility of you having IBS.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    TheDragonTheDragon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Fantasma wrote: »
    This is not a life threatening condition, but I am hoping I am wrong

You're a nice guy.

TheDragon on
  • Options
    LerageLerage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The problem with IBS is that the more you worry about it, the worse it'll get, because one of the main triggers is stress. If it IS IBS, make sure to exercise (for general good feelings, help with digestion, and reducing stress), eat plenty of fibre (though for people with a tendency towards diarrhoea, that may not be a good suggestion), and avoid large meals.

Also, how old/what gender are you? Because usual onset is females in their early 20s, though it affects about 20% of the population, so I wouldn't worry too much - there's loads of advice on the internet for it.

Lerage on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TheDragon wrote: »
    Fantasma wrote: »
    This is not a life threatening condition, but I am hoping I am wrong

You're a nice guy.

I am sorry, what I was trying to say is that I am hoping I am wrong regarding the possibility of the OP having IBS.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    No idea at all if this applies to you, but maybe you have some symptoms of Celiac disease?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    No idea at all if this applies to you, but maybe you have some symptoms of Celiac disease?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coeliac_disease

I was just thinking this same exact thing. What he's describing is exactly where I was 3 years ago minus the 20 years old thing. It's a pretty easy thing to test for by yourself. Essentially just don't eat anything breaded, beer or anything made with soy sauce for a week or so. If it really is Celiac's then you'll start feeling better pretty quickly.

wmelon on
  • Options
    a Deadstara Deadstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All of this is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I won't be able to test the bread thing until after thanksgiving - but can Celiac's and IBS be treated through medication?

a Deadstar on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I know some people with Celiac and they just have to alter their diet to avoid certain foods and they are back to normal. There currently isn't any medication available.

You should probably keep a record of the foods you eat and take that with you when you go to the doctor. I think a blood test is all you need for a diagnosis.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In order to rule out the possibility of IBS, you need to be examined by a Gastroenterologist. This condition can be triggered by several factors, such as long periods of stress, overgrows of intestinal bacteria or genetic predisposition.

IBS can be treated with medication, after the cause has been isolated, to obtain periods of remission.

Fantasma on
  • Options
    JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All of this is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I won't be able to test the bread thing until after thanksgiving - but can Celiac's and IBS be treated through medication?

Sadly us with Celiac's have no medicine that we can currently take. The best thing you can do is start cutting glutten out of your diet. It's tough at first, god I struggled... but it can be done. One of your big challenges (should you be a celiac) would be finding a grocery store that is Celiac's friendly.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i had something similar, had been looking out for what it was for a really long long time. looked at celiac, looked at IBS.... i decided that i didn't want to end like a googling hypochondriac, so i focussed on" curing" it):

After working in Turkey (a radical diet change), i found out what it helped:
    Solved it by eating more descent yoghurt (practically daily at breakfast), staying away from white bread and hotdog-bun-like spongy bread, and avoiding overly heavy (warm) meals at lunch. Switching to more fibre-rich cornflakes (don't eat them too much though).

Also: Enterol or, preferably, a cheaper generic variety, helped a lot. OTC (not even listed as a medicin, just a food supplement.. yeast or something like that). use preventively, then stop using slowly and see what happens. I hardly ever take it nowadays.

anyway, i'm not suggesting going overboard on any of these tips, it could be something totally different from your affliction. But your post sounded a bit familiar, and if it works for me, it could work for you... if it works and or you have more questions, you can always PM.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    A friend of mine was having alot of stomach pains every time she ate, and it turned out she wasnt making enough stomach acid to digest things properly. So you might want to try and eat more acidy foods like tomatoes (or V8) and just about anything with citrus in it.

Im not saying this will fix your problem but it might help. I know when I was having some stomach pains myself I gave it a shot and felt a whole lot better.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You should really go see a consultant ASAP. I had sort of similar symptoms, alongside stomach pains about when I was 21 or so, which turned out to be the onset of Crohn's Disease. I'm not saying you have it, but the symptoms do point to it, or IBS, or one of the related stomach diseases. I take medication for my condition but I've also had to have surgery as well as the reason I started rejecting food was related to restrictions developing in the lower stomach over time. Only solution as of 04 was to cut or loosen those bits of the stomach. Hopefully it isn't the same for you

TL;DR - see a consultant. It can take a while to diagnose succesfully as well (took me a year or so), so be patient. Most GP (general practioners) are not that good with this kind of thing (in my experience), so cut out the middleman I say.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could be a gluten allergy

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just t say, if it is a gluten allergy Glutenada has some really really really tasty gluten free mixes. I've heard it's hard to find good ones in stores and the creator of these recipes suffers the same problems.

A family friend swears by them.

I use them for their spoonfudge.

That might be jumping the gun but if it should turn out that is the case there's an option.

radroadkill on