Options

Unhappy iPod of death: Lookin' for alts

chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
My iPod died on me, and I really don't wanna have to go through the trouble of getting another one just to have it crap out on me like this one (for the record, this is my second iPod. First one I replaced after buying the 1 year service plan for 50 bucks. THis is the replacement one that died)

Considering I'm kinda sick of having to replace my iPod like car oil, I'm looking for alternative MP3 players. I've heard good things about the Toshiba Gigabeat brand, but I also want to see what else out there is good before making a definite decision on what to spend my upcoming refund check on.

stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
chaossoldier on

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    sandisk sansa e200 series.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zune?

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    mrotsmrots Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've had a Zen Vision M for a year now and it's done me right so far.

mrots on
    mrots.png
  • Options
    Non-Existent FreezerNon-Existent Freezer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Seems like a lot of people have been having trouble with iPods. Maybe it's a good thing I stick to shuffles.

As someone else mentioned, I've been hearing a lot of good things about Zune.

If that's not your thing, I've also seen a lot of positive feedback on Creative's players. I don't really have any personal experience with any other than my iPod shuffles, my Rio (that broke when it fell out of my pocket onto a hardwood floor), and one other type that was decent but chewed through batteries like a fiend.

Non-Existent Freezer on
    g2kc7.png
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've had my Creative Nomad Zen Xtra for about 2-3 years now, and it's still treating me a-ok. I've even dropped it onto concrete a few times, and accidentally left it out in the cold car during really bad winter days.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Welcome to the social.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'd been thinking about the Zune, but it seems like a bit much. Just too many extras that I probably won't use. Still might consider it though.

The Zen series doesn't look too bad either..The voice recorder thing from the Vision would come in handy for classes.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've had an iPod mini for ages now, and I've dropped it several times. The thing still works like new.

If I were sick of iPods, I'd probably go for a Zune.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Just get another iPod, dude. Third time is a charm.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've got a Gigabeat F40 and I've had fairly good luck with it. I had a scare where it looked like everything on it was gone, but it was my own fault for disconnecting it when it was doing stuff and I managed to fix it in about three minutes. Other than that, my only complaint is the cross on mine doesn't light up so it can be difficult sometimes to navigate in the dark and that there is a bit of dust under my screen that I can't really do anything about. The software is fairly intuitive, but I had to do a little searching to find version 3.0 of it. There are definitely some pros and cons to it, but I like how it's all metal and feel nice and solid and I don't have to worry about scratching the metal case or the glass screen. Another plus is that it came with a dock so I didn't have to shell out any extra money for it.

Trevor on
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Get a Zune, cause you know Microsoft needs the money.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Dublo7 wrote:
    I've had an iPod mini for ages now, and I've dropped it several times. The thing still works like new.

Yeah, the minis last forever. Mine is one of the first batch of the original minis, and it is still going strong.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

Yeah, the minis last forever. Mine is one of the first batch of the original minis, and it is still going strong.

Unfortunately mine was one of those archaic 20 gigs. LED colorless screen and such. The mini does look pretty cool, but they don't seem to make them in the size I need

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Glad to see more people pushing for the Zune.

It's a really good mp3 player, with good value (250 for 30 gigs), easy navigation (even without a scroll wheel) and a nice screen to watch your videos in.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Kyougu wrote:

More people? This is the most Zune-friendly, non-Microsoft site around save for Gizmodo.
    It's a really good mp3 player

So are most name-brand players in the hard drive bracket - see also: Creative, iAudio, iRiver, Toshiba, SanDisk, etc.
    with good value (250 for 30 gigs)

If you price that per gigabyte, the 80GB iPod destroys it in terms of value.
    easy navigation (even without a scroll wheel)

It's the same as any other non-clickwheel, non-touchstrip device - a directional pad. Resounding meh.
    and a nice screen to watch your videos in.

The screen is not that nice and the resolution is the same as an iPod or Zen Vision - QVGA.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Kyougu wrote:

More people? This is the most Zune-friendly, non-Microsoft site around save for Gizmodo.
    It's a really good mp3 player

So are most name-brand players in the hard drive bracket - see also: Creative, iAudio, iRiver, Toshiba, SanDisk, etc.
    with good value (250 for 30 gigs)

If you price that per gigabyte, the 80GB iPod destroys it in terms of value.
    easy navigation (even without a scroll wheel)

It's the same as any other non-clickwheel, non-touchstrip device - a directional pad. Resounding meh.
    and a nice screen to watch your videos in.

The screen is not that nice and the resolution is the same as an iPod or Zen Vision - QVGA.
    I thought you were told to stop shitting on the Zune?

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ignoring the usual irrational ravings from Terrorbyte...

How well is the Zune interface when it comes with transferring music from the PC to said device?

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    ChaosandQuietChaosandQuiet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey, my Ipod is broken as well and I was wondering how that plan works. If it is already broken, can I buy the plan (I've had it less than a year) and replace it right away? I need a new MP3 player, and I would actually prefer to get a brand new one that is not an Ipod, but I don't have the money. If I can buy the warranty and just replace my old broken one, I would rather do that.

ChaosandQuiet on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0772-1797
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hey, my Ipod is broken as well and I was wondering how that plan works. If it is already broken, can I buy the plan (I've had it less than a year) and replace it right away? I need a new MP3 player, and I would actually prefer to get a brand new one that is not an Ipod, but I don't have the money. If I can buy the warranty and just replace my old broken one, I would rather do that.

I'm not sure if they still let you do that since that was a while back, but I found out about it through their customer service line the first time.

chaossoldier on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

How well is the Zune interface when it comes with transferring music from the PC to said device?

It's pretty good. Zune devices come configured to automatically sync everything, but just like iPods you can configure them to be manually managed. I suppose the biggest difference would be that as opposed to iPod/iTunes, you don't drag and drop so much as you add to a sync list and hit the sync button.

Also, the Zune software has built-in support for reverse sync (device -> pc).

ihd on
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I got the Nano when it first came out over a year ago, and I've never had any problems with it. I've had tons of problems with regular iPods though.

Jebu on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ihd wrote:

It's pretty good. Zune devices come configured to automatically sync everything, but just like iPods you can configure them to be manually managed. I suppose the biggest difference would be that as opposed to iPod/iTunes, you don't drag and drop so much as you add to a sync list and hit the sync button.

Also, the Zune software has built-in support for reverse sync (device -> pc).

Honestly my only complaint with the Zune is the fact that I can't access it like a HD and just drag and drop all my music onto it. But I'm sure someone will eventually find a way. Other than that though I love it, I use it a lot while I'm at work.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    Welcome to the social.

?

japan on
  • Options
    IAmSoKawaiiIAmSoKawaii Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is it me or is the Zune not out in Canada yet? I haven't seen it in any Future Shop or Best Buy.

IAmSoKawaii on
    Shaskster.png

"If I ever woke up with a dead hooker in my hotel room, Matt would be the first person I'd call."

www.PatriceOneal.com
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is it me or is the Zune not out in Canada yet? I haven't seen it in any Future Shop or Best Buy.

I'm pretty sure it's not out in canada

Rook on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rook wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's not out in canada

It's not out anywhere but the United States for now.

ihd on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Morkath wrote:
    sandisk sansa e200 series.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.