As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DnD4 & Vent? (and a few questions..)

MercadorMercador Registered User regular
edited January 2009 in Critical Failures
Hey guys,

Because of PA, I bought myself the 4ed gift set during the holidays (!). I was a player in the 1ed, more a GM in the 2ed and never played since, hmmm, let say 1992 or so. So I have a lot to learn back.

Since I never played 4ed, before returning to the GM place, I would like to play a bit as a player. Is there a lot of people here playing with Ventrilo ? Is it working ? good great not that much ?

Also, it seems that using miniatures are almost mandatory in 4ed. Is that true ? I'm not sure I want to buy a lot of miniatures if I don't even know I'll get a constant group...

Well, if you can help, thanks :)

Mercador on

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I would imagine that ventrilo would have to be supplemented by a program with chat, dice and maps. Playing 4ed without a grid or miniatures is indeed pretty hard.

Vic on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I am, however, now envisioning having a game where a player or more were participating by ventrillo and watching the board with a webcam on the action.

But I too am currently waiting for the D&D online tabletop. With most of my group spread across the province, it'd be a damned fine way to try to get a weekly game going again.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I haven't tried it myself, but I think you'll be needing MapTool.

Darian on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Mercador wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Because of PA, I bought myself the 4ed gift set during the holidays (!). I was a player in the 1ed, more a GM in the 2ed and never played since, hmmm, let say 1992 or so. So I have a lot to learn back.

Since I never played 4ed, before returning to the GM place, I would like to play a bit as a player. Is there a lot of people here playing with Ventrilo ? Is it working ? good great not that much ?

Also, it seems that using miniatures are almost mandatory in 4ed. Is that true ? I'm not sure I want to buy a lot of miniatures if I don't even know I'll get a constant group...

Well, if you can help, thanks :)
    I don't know about Ventrilo or such. I've got a couple online groups, but we play via IM and gametable rather than voice chat.

As for minis; they're extremely useful, but you don't necessarily have to spend a lot of money on them. Cardboard counters, coins for non-PCs, etc. I have one GM (the game's Saga, but it would work here as well) that uses a foam mat and colored pins, with the maps just printed off and pinned down for us.

Anyway, welcome back to the fold. Good to see folks getting back into the game. :)

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    D&D online tabletop ?

Enlight me :)

Mercador on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    D&D online tabletop ?

Enlight me :)
    It's one of the things Wizards is planning to integrate into D&DInsider, their online gaming stuff. It's also slated to include a character creator, all the PC crunch from the books that come out and a "character visualizer."

The tabletop and visualizer have yet to materialize in usable form, however.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok

I've just checked Forgotten Realms books (I used that in 2ed) and the comments aren't that good.

Anyone tried this campaign setting?

Mercador on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pardon my barely enlightened commentary for the possible hate speach that it may be, but as I understand it, Forgotten Realms seems to be something of a magical powerhouse setting, high fantasy with exotic locales and incredibly powerful allies and enemies.

This may have changed recently, as it has been years since I even glanced at the setting, but back when I used to run 3.0 games, if something seemed overpowered and wasn't coming from one of the class books, it seemed to usually be coming from the FR setting book.

YMMV, of course. A lot of people love it, but it's not quite my cup of tea.

Mmmm, tea.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Prester JohnPrester John Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    If you're looking for an interesting setting to run a game, the new FR books are really good. Great flavor, well thought-out settings, tons of adventure hooks. And, personally, I think that the revamped FR lore makes the setting a lot more interesting -- the old FR setting was, IMO, pretty vanilla.

A lot of the negative comments on the WotC forum seem to have been written by pissy neckbeards who're allergic to change.

Forar: Nothing in the new books seems overpowered to me, but I also just got back into D&D myself, after a ten-year hiatus, and I haven't had a chance to do much more than look stuff over.

Prester John on
  • Options
    beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Maybe you could use the D&D Miniatures vassal module. I'm sure someone will write a 4e D&D module soon.

http://vassalengine.org

beta.lyrae on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ok

I've just checked Forgotten Realms books (I used that in 2ed) and the comments aren't that good.

Anyone tried this campaign setting?
    There's a lot of negativity being thrown at the 4E version of the Realms. It's a pretty dramatic shift from the 3E Realms, and there are some (extremely vocal) people who aren't taking that very well.

FR in 4E works just fine as a campaign setting. It's not the same FR that came before, though, so be warned. The Player's Guide is worth picking up just for the extra mechanical stuff even if you're not going to run a game there.

And remember, you can always run a 4E game in your 2E Realms, if you find that more to your liking.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2009
    Good, well, since I know a bit of lore of this campaign setting, I'll probably continue on this. I don't mind if it's one century later. I remember reading Drow trilogy and stuff.

As I said to Gabe, maybe it's the fact to have children that put me back to D&D.

Btw, what do you mean by "pissy neckbeards", it's look like a funny description of fanboys ;) I'm not an English speaker as you see.

Mercador on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Btw, what do you mean by "pissy neckbeards", it's look like a funny description of fanboys ;) I'm not an English speaker as you see.
    "Neckbeard" (along with "grognard" and a few other terms) is kind of a catchall for players who don't like the way D&D has changed over the years, or who think that everyone who plays the game in a way that isn't the "right" way is doing it wrong.

It's basically D&D's "get off my lawn" equivalent.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited January 2009

Alors, vous parlez Anglais meilleur que je parle Français.

But yeah, exactly. From Urban Dictionary: "1. (n) Facial hair that does not exist on the face, but instead on the neck. Almost never well groomed.

2. (n) Derogatory term for slovenly nerdy people who have no sense of hygene or grooming. Often related to hobbies such as card gaming, video gaming, anime, et. al. "

Prester John on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Thanks, well, it's some angry geeks I guess

I'll try to find a game in my vicinity because I really think I should look at a 4ed game on the player side before starting DMing.

You guys are quite helpful, thanks :D

Mercador on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Also, with apologies to the OP, I'll hijack his thread:

As I mentioned above, I recently got back into D&D myself, and I'd love to actually start playing again. On the main D&D4e thread, I saw a couple of mentions of a recruitment thread, but I haven't been able to find it through searching. Could anyone be so kind as to point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Prester John on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    That's totally unacceptable !

;)

No worries

Mercador on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Recruiting thread is right here, though it's a bit old.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=47534

EDIT: Also the last post in it was about locking it and someone making a new one, though I don' think that ever happened.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    I haven't tried it myself, but I think you'll be needing MapTool.

Seriously, get Maptool. Its fantastic, free, constantly updating, free, powerful, and did i mention it was free?

Use vent, use maptool. If you're DMing its going to be a good amount of work. If you're not your DM might be putting in a good amount of work. But its generally worth it.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    The Recruiting thread is right here, though it's a bit old.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=47534

EDIT: Also the last post in it was about locking it and someone making a new one, though I don' think that ever happened.

Ah, thank you kindly. I apparently missed it earlier 'cause my search terms were retarded.

Prester John on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    We've been using MapTool + Ventrilo for over a year now, and it's worked far better than all of the other online RPG solutions that we've used before (and I've been playing Pen and Paper RPGs online for several years, with a variety of tools).

Sure, later on when WotC finally releases the online campaign thing for DnD 4th edition, it'll probably be the bee's knees and rock all over. But until then? Use MapTool.

For a preview of what the DnD4E online interface would look like, here's a BBC article on it:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7729189.stm

The video has one advertisement before it plays, and the reporters act like idiots (comical ones, though), but there is actual footage of the online campaign thing in the video.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Still, I would prefer to have a real table game with friends.

But until then, I'll try to find a game to suit my needs :)

Mercador on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Where can you find texture and token packs for maptools?

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    Where can you find texture and token packs for maptools?
    You make your own tokens, either with TokenTool, or simply drag and drop any picture that you want in the game. Seriously. Just drag and drop the picture. Google something for the images, drag it onto the map... instant token. Easy peesy.

With TokenTool, you can make it a bit more presentable, with screen capture or drag and drop and reframing an image. It takes maybe 30 seconds, tops. Then you can drag and drop the token directly into play on Map Tools.

I'm not sure why you'd really need a texture pack for MapTools, as you can easily use any image as a New Map. Building maps from scratch is a terrible and time consuming thing, especially when there are a ton of resources online for maps. Drivethrurpg.com has several free map packs for dungeon crawls, Wizards of the Coast has years worth of maps [url=http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4arch/ag
    ]on their website[/url], and there are other sources for dungeon tiles like Dungeons Unlimited. If you can get a copy of Dungeonforge or something similar, you can make your own maps. Heck, I've made maps before by screen capping something I whipped up in the NWN editor before.

Don't get into the mess that is custom macros and text elements and such, unless you are dedicated GM who wants to spend a lot of campaign prep time.

There is a large online content pack out there somewhere... I'll see if I can conjure up the name for it.

EDIT: Wizards of the Coast also have a really cool dungeon tile mapping program here:
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20061121t

EDIT2: Another online resource:
    http://rpgmapshare.com/

EDIT3: Yet more resources from the RPTools.net site:
    http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=806

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'd love to play, but I just have no idea where to look for a good group of players. Any PA games that get started are usually on times that are difficult for me or get filled up before I notice them.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I would like to play, I guess it's iNet games ?

Mercador on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Someone PM about that; in fact, it's PbP game right ?

Could a bunch a newbie could play ?

Mercador on