As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Slow transfer rate with USB devices

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
I noticed when I started trying to use my Sony Ericsson w810i cellphone as an mp3 player. A single mp3 would take about 5 minutes to transfer. Albums would take like half an hour. The transfer rate was showing like 150k/s.

I tried my girlfriend's shuffle... and since itunes doesn't show the transfer rate (that I know of) it seemed fine. Maybe it was.

I just went out and picked up a really cheap mp3 player: Coby MP300 (2gb flash mp3). The transfer on this one goes about 300k/s. This is still painfully slow.

I know my ports are properly reading as USB 2.0, and when I transfer to a microSD using a reader it goes lightning fast (a gig in a minute or so).

Any ideas what could be happening here? Is the pro duo in the phone just shit and the Coby MP300 a piece of junk and it's giving me slow speeds?

I'm running Vista 32.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The w810 is unfortunately a pretty slow device in transfer rates (whether in HD mode or using the file explorer or syncing), and I'm guessing that if your girlfriend's ipod works fine, then chances are the cheap mp3 player is just slow. A lot of cheaper USB sticks have horrible write speeds, and cheap mp3 players are literally just usb sticks with mp3 decoding code added to the firmware.

When I used the w810, I picked up a cheap memory card reader and used that to copy files to/from the card instead of transferring through USB (this is extremely fast.) I can't remember if bluetooth was a faster or slower way to transfer music than USB, but if I can't remember it couldn't have been much better or worse.

Buying the bluetooth dongle definitely wasn't as good as buying the cheapo memory card reader.

However, it's worth ensuring your motherboard / chipset drivers are up to date (go to your motherboard manufacturer's website and check the drivers for your specific model) as they influence USB speeds too.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Thanks for the info. After some more digging, I'm more convinced that the thing just stinks.

Ah well. It's 20 bucks and I won't be changing songs on it that often.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment