As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ill take a stab at this....

ignotuscaligoignotuscaligo Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Artist's Corner
Random_Sketches_by_ignotus_caligo.jpg
8ad15ff557e2bfd6f6ad3f5e3a6f1170.jpg
Tree_of_Yarn_by_ignotus_caligo.jpg
Crystalline_Augmentation_by_ignotus_caligo.jpg
Garrys_Mod_Train_Vector_by_ignotus_caligo.jpg
Female_Android___Head_Detail_by_ignotus_caligo.jpg
Female_Android___Side_by_ignotus_caligo.jpg

soo yeah. mah stuffs.

1) just some random sketches
2) photo i took at school (not my best, but its something i have thats online)
3) a random tree i made with some yarn
4) A model i made and rendered in C4D
5) vectorization of a gmod contraption i made :D
6) model of a female android, concept from tutorial, work done by me
7) same model from afar

i hope these arent too big....

Epic fails: 1

Epic wins: 0

D:
ignotuscaligo on

• Options
    ignotuscaligoignotuscaligo Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    AH! too big >.<!!!

update: fixed

ignotuscaligo on
    Epic fails: 1

Epic wins: 0

D:
  • Options
    falconirefalconire Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The model looks like your best work, but then again I'm not going to pretend to be an expert in that type of art/design.

falconire on
  • Options
    crawdaddiocrawdaddio Tacoma, WARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2009
    I think I can understand you wanting to cover all your bases with the breadth of your work, but without detail in any area, it's tough to offer anything too constructive--a single sketch page (or a single photo admittedly not your best) is hard to critique. Anyway, I won't touch the 3D stuff, since I don't think I have enough experience to be that helpful with it.

The lines on the sketches seem too unsure, too unsteady in places where it oughtn't be; I'm looking specifically at the mannequin, and in the legs of the crab thing. The shading in the mannequin also looks a bit too soft, and lacking in tonal range, and though I can't say for sure what your reference (if you used one) looks like, the calves look too wide, at least in relation to the thighs.

I don't know if you lost the black levels in the development, the print (if there was one), or the digitization, but even if you were to correct the levels there, the tones don't really work; it looks washed out, possibly because of what seems like really harsh sunlight. The composition also doesn't work, because the focus (the ferns?) is too busy to hold my interest, and there's too little to bring it out from the rest of the picture (the noisy background/foreground don't help). On a technical level, it seems like it could stand to be a lot sharper, and as I mentioned before, the exposure settings could have used some tweaking to give the thing some better-defined midtones; right now, it's kind of just a mess of grey and white.

Sorry if it sounds a bit harsh; I'm sure it makes this next suggestion appealing, but if you have other photos, do what you can to get them on here. Or sketches. Or 3D work. Just more.

crawdaddio on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the fern could have made for a more interesting photo if taken from another angle with a shallower DOF.

And, as crawdaddio points out in much more helpful detail, with a better exposure.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    spellchromespellchrome Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I like the train thing. The flat colours are working for me. I'd add some extra rail cars and continue with a similar camera angle.

And good job with the female android, following tutorials can be long and tedious.

spellchrome on