As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Building a hookah?

CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having difficulty finding websites on how to build a hookah that isn't tiny or made from essentially garbage. Anyone have any experience or links on how to build a full sized hookah from stuff available at a hardware store?

Cheezy on

• Options
    AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    lets all build hookahs

Awk on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cheezy wrote: »
    I'm having difficulty finding websites on how to build a hookah that isn't tiny or made from essentially garbage. Anyone have any experience or links on how to build a full sized hookah from stuff available at a hardware store?

I found this URL http://www.southsmoke.com/files/hookah-supplies.html - might help you out.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    EverywhereasignEverywhereasign Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Do you want to build you're own so that you have a unique hookah that is personalized? Or because you don't want to buy one off the shelf? Or because you just want to try it before investing the money?

I've never tried making my own before, but looking at the prices on the web site, it seems easier and significantly cheaper to buy one pre-assembled. Although I don't see why you couldn't put one together with stuff from the hardware store. It's going to be tricky to get it sealed, you'd be much happier with even a cheap "starter hookah" bought online.

Everywhereasign on
    "What are you dense? Are you retarded or something? Who the hell do you think I am? I'm the goddamn Batman!"
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    What exactly are you trying to build? A legitimate, eastern-style, three-tube hookah with a metallic body and everything?

Because that is a lot harder then making what is essentially a gargantuan bong. You can make a hookah out of pretty much anything, it's a question of exactly what level of quality you're pursuing.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I feel like a nice vase or flowerpot, with hardware from the above site, would be a pretty simple project. Just use the ideas from the garbage hookahs, but with higher quality materials.

Also, you should prolly have a good drill. Good drills (well drillbits) are essential for projects of this nature.

I'd really say step one, is understand the physics and structure of a hookah. and Step two would be find the base unit (vase, coconut, human skull) that you would like to use. Once you've got some of the basic design hammered out, I'm sure we can help with the details.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    or just buy one for like 75 bucks online and not worry about it.

Limp moose on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Limp moose wrote: »

this isn't really advise on how to build a hookah is it.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Yeah do you want to use this to smoke sheesha (not sure if I spelled that correctly) or other substances which are of questionable legality?

I ask not out of a sense of approval or disapproval, but because if you want to smoke sheesha out of it you should actually make sure you build it properly and with a proper design. If its for other things, you could cut more corners and just make it more bong-ish.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Yeah do you want to use this to smoke sheesha (not sure if I spelled that correctly) or other substances which are of questionable legality?

I ask not out of a sense of approval or disapproval, but because if you want to smoke sheesha out of it you should actually make sure you build it properly and with a proper design. If its for other things, you could cut more corners and just make it more bong-ish.

I say build it right. That way he could use it for whatever he wants! Being a dirty-nogood-commie-hippy-scumbag is no excuse for poor design.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just from personal experience smoking weed out of hookahs is shitty.

I've tried smoking sheesha mixed with weed, mixed with hash/kief, or just weed alone. Never really works properly.

There's no better way to smoke just pure sheesha though.

This is why I asked what your intent is. I want to make sure you have the best smoking experience possible :P

Al_wat on
  • Options
    RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hookah's aren't meant for smoking weed. It wouldn't work too well. Although hash, maybe?

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I've tried smoking sheesha mixed with weed, mixed with hash/kief, or just weed alone. Never really works properly.

This is why I asked what your intent is. I want to make sure you have the best smoking experience possible :P

I'm not picking a fight here, but /my friend/ had a totally different experience. On several different occasions. Using all the combinations you mention. But that's /my friend/.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Honestly, a hookah is going to be something that if you enjoy it alot, and plan on using it alot, you'd be better off dropping a couple of bucks off and buying a nice one in a shop downtown. I say this not to dissuade you in your McGuyverness, but only to point out that if you really enjoy Hookah that it's soooo much more enjoyable just to be able to plop down on the couch and take a puff without worrying why you've got a leak somewhere. It's just a pain in the ass really.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Limp moose wrote: »

this isn't really advise on how to build a hookah is it.

This is good advice, though.

I had a discussion about this with someone else, here is what I have to tell you.

Most home made hookas are made out of various plastics and metals that you can purchase from hardware stores.

Most of which release toxic chemicals when heated.

My only advice is, if you want to build a hookah, avoid using metals like copper and brass, especially if you plan to solder them yourself. Brass is toxic. It contains Zinc, which is released into a nasty fume when heated. It would also imagine, when the tobacco smoke is filtered through the water, the acidic mixture WILL begin to etch the brass/copper as well. Particulates of both metals are not good to inhale.

If you plan to use any metal, despite this advice, and need to solder it together, do not use lead based plumbers solder, or even 'lead free solder' used for electronics. Lead free is still toxic in its own right. Use a silver based jewelers' solder.

Seriously, I don't want to be a dick, and buidling your own hookah seems pretty cool. But purchasing one online will probably be cheaper, quicker, safer, and give you a better product.

EDIT:

Also, build the piece primarily out of glass/stainless steel if you have the ability to work with these materials.
    Please, also, purchase a ceramic dish online, don't cheap out on this.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm not picking a fight here, but /my friend/ had a totally different experience. On several different occasions. Using all the combinations you mention. But that's /my friend/.

True enough, people will have different experiences. I think the main point of advice we can take from both our points of view however, is that if you want to specifically make a hookah, you should be doing it for smoking sheesha and not cause you want a weed smoking device (make a slightly different device for that).

We didn't get feedback from the OP yet regarding his intentions with it, I'm going to wait for that before offering furthur advice on how to design his contraption.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

True enough, people will have different experiences. I think the main point of advice we can take from both our points of view however, is that if you want to specifically make a hookah, you should be doing it for smoking sheesha and not cause you want a weed smoking device (make a slightly different device for that).

We didn't get feedback from the OP yet regarding his intentions with it, I'm going to wait for that before offering furthur advice on how to design his contraption.

Agreed. Congratulations everyone, very good advise so far.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The reason I'm building this is for shisha only. I'm planning to make it fit into a table on our smoke deck so we can hookah while playing poker. The problem is the inexpensive premade hookahs are tiny and prone to falling over and the larger ones won't fit into the table. I figured I could make one that would fit and be relatively inexpensive compared to the premade ones.

Cheezy on
  • Options
    Mojo the AvengerMojo the Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My friend built an excellent hookah out of chem lab grade glassware and tubing. Works like a charm.

Mojo the Avenger on
  • Options
    pinenut_canarypinenut_canary Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I hung out with my cousin's friend at a party, and he brought over his home-made hookah. I was pretty drunk at the time so I don't remember the exact specifics, but this is what I observed:

-He used an empty Patron tequila bottle as the glass vase (I thought this was very clever)
    -Some of the more complex parts he just bought from a hookah store (such as the ceramic part where the hookah sits)
    -He used a tin ash tray as the ash tray for the burnt hash
    -He made the pipes himself out of plastic tubing used for fish tanks. He said he was going to buy real pipes because he's pretty sure he's poisoning himself

I can't recall more, and he lives far away from here so I can't really contact him. Wikipedia has a nice diagram of how hookahs work, so I suggest looking that up and seeing what parts you can make, and what parts you can't.

pinenut_canary on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cheezy wrote: »
    The reason I'm building this is for shisha only. I'm planning to make it fit into a table on our smoke deck so we can hookah while playing poker. The problem is the inexpensive premade hookahs are tiny and prone to falling over and the larger ones won't fit into the table. I figured I could make one that would fit and be relatively inexpensive compared to the premade ones.

Go to a headshop\smokeshop\whatever and look around. I promise you you'll find something to suit your needs. Maybe go for a small rotator?

Jokerman on