Options

360 recommendations

SyzygySyzygy Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Games and Technology
This sunday I will be finally able to swap out my Wii for a 360, thanks to my IRS rebate.

And then I suddenly realized that all I've known for the past 1.5 year(s) is shovelware party games and wrist waggling.
I have no freakin' clue what any of the "good" games are for 360 and as i can only afford to purchase ONE(1) at this time, I need to make it count.

I'm looking for the game SO good that it epitomizes the word "Xbox 360". If it can also send the room into hushed reverance, that's just a bonus. (note: don't bother suggesting Halo 3, I've had my fill of prepubescents who don't know what sex is and racist guys from Texas from my halo 2 days)

I don't have a particular taste as far as genre is concerned, I'm just looking for something that's either both very long and/or with tons of replay value. The most rewarding experience possible, basically, for as long as possible. Yes, I most likely will have multiplayer. (Another note: I have played Mass Effect already, on the PC)

Thanks, I appreciate the opinions of what must be the best gamers community to date.

Syzygy on

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you only have enough money for 1 game, why not make it several cheap games? For example, you could download a few of the best XBLA downloadable games (Geometry Wars 2 + Castle Crashers + N+ + Pac-Man:Championship Edition for $45 total for example) and then round it off with a good cheap, under $20 retail 360 game like Crackdown, Earth Defense Force 2017, Dead Rising, or Burnout: Revenge. That ought to keep you covered with quality gaming for quite some time.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, there are plenty of older 360 titles going for cheap. Bioshock is under $20, and Crackdown too. I don't know if there is a 'definitive' 360 title, but there are tons of good games for relatively cheap. Just wait for Slash...

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Going for several cheap ones for the cost of one full-price game is a good idea. I'd stay away from any vaguely-popular first person shooters, as they tend to share online play as a common element of replay value, and they will either have the same problem you experienced in Halo 2 OR, and this is also possible, they will not be popular and no one will play them online (see: TimeShift). Of course, party chat does effectively fix the problem entirely (or you could just turn off the headset).

I wouldn't personally spend all of it on XBLA games because while they're are some awesome ones (Metal Slug 3, Doom, etc.--JUST MY OPINION), with some searching you can get some 'full' games for the same price (digital distribution doesn't really drop in price, ever, outside of sales).

I don't really know what to say beyond that, since you didn't specify a genre.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Get Dead Rising and bash zombies with guitars.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I think the 360 (and all the consoles this gen for that matter) doesn't have a defining game, but has a lot of solid games. Gears of War and Dead Rising must be part of your library at some point. Check out Bioshock and the Orange Box if you haven't already.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Orange Box and Dead Rising can be had for under $30 with a bit of hunting, and cover the two things that sold me a 360 (arguably the best zombie game ever and Portal) while giving you a ton of value for the money (Orange Box will last you forever and has Team Fortress for online, and Dead Rising you can play for a long time). Which still leaves you a chunk of change to scope up some of the best XBLA stuff.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Blue mapBlue map Hello darkness, my old friend. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and bolts sounds pretty close to the game you're looking for. It's tons of fun, it's pretty long at about 15-20 hours for a straight play through and probably another 10-15 for a full run, it's almost totally single player and it's cheap to boot.

Blue map on
    My Steam profile thing: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Blue_map/ Battlenet: BlueMap#1493
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you'd like a handy reference of great X360 games, I recommend you check out This Site, which is my compilation of X360 recommendations generally made by this board.

Now then
    I don't have a particular taste as far as genre is concerned, I'm just looking for something that's either both very long and/or with tons of replay value. The most rewarding experience possible, basically, for as long as possible. Yes, I most likely will have multiplayer. (Another note: I have played Mass Effect already, on the PC)

Since you have no preference besides Length, Replay, and a rewarding experience, I can suggest several games that should last you a good long while and are very rewarding to play and/or have good replay value:

There's Fallout 3, Oblivion, Grand Theft Auto IV, Orange Box, and Tales of Vesperia.

Summary:
    Fallout 3 - the newest western RPG developed by Bethesda (Oblivion), Fallout 3 continues the series' excellent tradition of an expansive world, combined unique combat, shockingly realistic visuals, tons of player choice, and an incredible cast of dynamic characters. Fallout 3 is a lot like Oblivion (with guns!), but it's a superior game in nearly every way, as it features a more engaging storyline, impeccable presentation, and hundreds of hours of addictive gameplay. While the jury is still out on whether or not hardcore Fallout enthusiasts will accept the game as part of the storied franchise, Fallout 3 is a must-have title for most RPG fans, as well as one of the finest games of this generation. A vast landscape that is almost relentlessly bleak in its hopelessness. It's absorbing, immersive, paradoxically beautiful, and kind of depressing to play over long periods of time.

Oblivion - The painstaking attention to detail, outstanding worldcrafting, and inspired AI make it a huge improvement over previous first person western RPGs. Incredibly open ended, huge RPG world to explore, incredibly detailed and deep roleplaying mechanics. Another excellent western RPG.

Grand Theft Auto IV -
    the story of Niko Belic, arriving at Liberty City to pursue the American Dream, only to face a harsh reality. Beautiful, wide open, and extremely detailed, living city on a scale never conceived of in gaming before, combined with fun and satisfying combat, fast paced vehicle driving mechanics, sandbox gameplay, tons to see and do, online multiplayer, and optional DLC to top if off.

Orange Box -
    a triple pack of 3 of Valve's best games; including the innovative Portal, wherein you control a portal transportation technology to solve puzzles; Half Life 2 and expansions, one of the best action and story-driven FPS games ever; and Team Fortress 2, the newest iteration of the classic multiplayer team-based FPS game

Tales of Vesperia
    - Set in a world reliant on a mysterious ancient technology known as "blastia," the game follows former knight Yuri as he delves into a shadowy plot to use these magical devices to control civilization, or destroy it. Tales of Vesperia is a strong anime-style Japanese RPG with a wide-ranging story, compelling characters and an intense real-time battle system that keeps you on your toes.If gads of dialog, characters that ooze personality and freer form combat sounds like an RPG delight to you, then order up Tales of Vesperia pronto.

slash000 on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    GTA IV might be a good option. It's quite long at ~40 hours to beat the story if you don't rush, and even longer if you decide to go for 100%. It's also one of the best games on the system, and shows off the power of the 360. You can even buy the 360-exclusive DLC, which is really, really good. The only weak point is the multiplayer, which isn't all that great (but you can still have a couple hours of fun with it).

Personally, I love the game, so between the main game+replays+DLC, I've spent well over 100 hours playing it.

Brym on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Shucks, forgot to mention I've played Bioshock and oblivion on PC too, my bad. This "GTA 4" some of you mentioned
    sounds intriguing. After some careful study of several of mentioned titles, I've narrowed my list to three (3) possibilities: Fallout 3, Fable 2, and GTA 4.

I would prefer whichever one has multiplayer since that usually can artificailly extend the time value, but I said the same thing about Oblivion and it's been 2 years and just as many expansions that I've invested in that.

i hear GTA 4 has some sort of online mode now, if anyone can personally comment on that, I'd like to know how that works out.

Once again, I leave my ultimate decision in the hands of those more knowledgable and/or more exerienced than myself, thank you.

Syzygy on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I should also mention that both Fallout 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV have expansions out already. So should you buy either, and play either to their fullest (which would take forever for either one of them), both games also have additional (paid) add-on content that would further extend replay value (for the price of course).

slash000 on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Fallout 3

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    I should also mention that both Fallout 3 and Grand Theft Auto IV have expansions out already. So should you buy either, and play either to their fullest (which would take forever for either one of them), both games also have additional (paid) add-on content that would further extend replay value (for the price of course).

Hmmm, well, in that case, I suppose I'm leaning towards Fallout 3, but GTA 4 has multiplayer... Before I lock my decision in, I'll need someone to comment on how good the multiplayer in GTA 4 is. The way I figure it right now, so long as GTA 4's multiplay is good, I'd be getting an expansion + online competition. But only if it's GOOD multiplay.

Syzygy on
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm gonna say The Force: Unleashed. I had so much fun with that and I couldn't care less about Star Wars. Which I think helped, maybe? Also Skate 2, if you're even just mildly interested in it and like a challenge.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ikaruga, if you love shooters but hate yourself.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Get Catan on XBL. A really well done adaptation of one of the great board games. DO IT!

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Antihippy wrote: »
    He could have been playing that on his Wii he's about to get rid of.

Crackdown is a lot of fun.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    anoffday wrote: »

I rented the Wii version, it was just.... terrible. It's like in Watchmen when Rorschach is in the same room as Dr. Manhattan, he seems cool until you realize that only one of them has any real super powers, instantly making the non-super powered one really lame by comparison (Tortured inner monologues are NOT a super power)

Crackdown's been out for awhile, and aren't they about to release the sequel soon?

Syzygy on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Syzygy wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »

Hmmm, well, in that case, I suppose I'm leaning towards Fallout 3, but GTA 4 has multiplayer... Before I lock my decision in, I'll need someone to comment on how good the multiplayer in GTA 4 is. The way I figure it right now, so long as GTA 4's multiplay is good, I'd be getting an expansion + online competition. But only if it's GOOD multiplay.

The multiplayer on GTA isn't very good at all. It's fun for the novelty value of running people over and having big explosions, but it grows tiresome very quickly.

If you're leaning towards Fallout 3, I say go for it. It's fantastic, and if you liked Oblivion you're sure to love it.

Brym on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    BURNOUT FUCKING PARADISE

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Of all the big-name titles I've played on my 360, the ones I really keep coming back to are Earth Defense Force and Castle Crashers. They're both games that seem short on an initial playthrough, but I find myself going through them over and over again for the sheer joy of it.

Not coincidentally, they also feature some of the best co-op experiences on the system (ignoring CC's broken online play, which I hear has been fixed anyway).

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really enjoyed Ninja Gaiden II despite the camera issues. Not quite as good as Black, which I suggest getting first if you can find a used copy cheap (or get it off of XBL). It's a solid action game without as much of the annoying platforming of the first one. The storylines in both are dumb, but I don't know why anyone would play NG for the story.

The Darkness is a solid FPS that has some unique elements to it for the FPS genre. The powers are A LOT of fun (and upgradeable, thus tossing in an RPG element), and the levels in Hell are both breath taking and actually quite creepy. It's somewhat of an open-world FPS in that you can take sidequests and run around parts of NYC. The storyline is great as well. It's cheap as hell these days; you shouldn't have a hard time finding a used copy for around $10 somewhere. I think my first playthrough was around 20 hours or so. It's a lengthy game for an FPS.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BubbahotepIBubbahotepI Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you want something 360 and something Multi player with replay value

Left 4 Dead, Plus it has DLC coming out on April 21st and its Free!

Its a great game

But, going with a bunch of cheap titles isn't a bad idea either, I wouldn't recommend Gears of war. I'm prob the only 360 owner who will say that, Unless of course enjoy playing a badass war game where your the Medic, and while your trying to kill shit your squad dies all the time and you must revive them

But you cant go wrong with the orange box, an EA game maybe madden, NBA live, or tiger woods, and a few arcade games should be around 60$.

Don't forget a play and charge kit, I'm sure you already know that.

Almost forgot, Don't get L4D unless you plan on having Live, or some friends who are down to kill Zeds 24/7

BubbahotepI on
    The Dude Abides
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Syzygy wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »

I rented the Wii version, it was just.... terrible. It's like in Watchmen when Rorschach is in the same room as Dr. Manhattan, he seems cool until you realize that only one of them has any real super powers, instantly making the non-super powered one really lame by comparison (Tortured inner monologues are NOT a super power)

Crackdown's been out for awhile, and aren't they about to release the sequel soon?
    Yeah. I didn't think it'd be anything that great. I heard they removed the camera? I'm sorry, but he's a photo journalist. If you remove the camera from the game, then why would he even be there? The first one had so many little things that were suppose to make the game challenging, but instead just made it frustrating and annoying.

As far as a Crackdown sequel, I don't think anything's been announced? If it has been then that's awesome. I loved that game. Too many people blew it off assuming it sucked, and needed the halo 3 beta to sell it, which was completely wrong.

anoffday on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I dunno. I thought Dead Rising was a bit of let down. The idea is cool and actual zombies are great, but the execution is so damn flawed. I understand and am fine with replaying the game multiple times, but why do I have to listen to Otis's bullshit every time. (can't even hang up on him he calls back and chastizes you). Also have to skip past all the tutorial crap. Also the save system sucks. They say find bathrooms, just look on your map, what they don't tell you is half of them are inaccessible. Its not a bad game, I just don't think its for everyone.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    I dunno. I thought Dead Rising was a bit of let down. The idea is cool and actual zombies are great, but the execution is so damn flawed. I understand and am fine with replaying the game multiple times, but why do I have to listen to Otis's bullshit every time. (can't even hang up on him he calls back and chastizes you). Also have to skip past all the tutorial crap. Also the save system sucks. They say find bathrooms, just look on your map, what they don't tell you is half of them are inaccessible. Its not a bad game, I just don't think its for everyone.
    I agree with all of this. A lot of times I just wanted to run around and kill zombies. But the game wouldn't let you do that. Even when you beat the freaking game, there was no mode unlocked where I could just kill freaking zombies. I had to keep finding food to keep my ever diminishing health bar up. I had more fun with the freaking demo.

anoffday on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Personally I would stay away from Fallout 3 for the 360. Obviously this is just my opinion, but I think you would be better off getting it for PC. Aside from being a bit cheaper you also have tons of mods to add replayability. Oblivion for that matter too.

GTA IV is fucking awesome.

Dead Rising is great if you are in the mood for a more mindless (hehehe) action game.

Forza 2 is a Gran Turismo style racer and is a ton of fun plus you can probably get it on the cheap.

Gears of War 1 or 2. I have yet to play the second one, but if it is half as good as the first it would still be pretty awesome.

Fable II I would also heartily recommend.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was very good and the multiplayer is some of the best on the 360 IMHO.

Skate I thought was a great skateboarding game, very fun and being able to pull off some badass tricks was incredibly satisfying. I have yet to play the sequel.

Madden 09 is great if you like football at all.

Lost Odyssey if you are in the mood for a JRPG.

Heh, not sure if any of these games "captures" the spirit of the 360, but I own them all and think each one was totally worth it. Well I did get Dead Rising used for $20, I doubt I would have paid full price for it.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Dead Rising and crackdown are 2 fun games that can be found cheap nowadays. Marvel Ultimate Alliance fits this also. If you like it, UA2 is coming out this fall. Fight Night 3 is a great game thats also older.

Geomotry Wars 2 is a great XBLA purchase. As is Castle Crashers. If you've never played Castlevania SoTN, its on there too.

Tommatt on