As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Macbook thing?

Penguin_OtakuPenguin_Otaku Registered User regular
edited March 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Are these things legit or are they scams? I don't want to get charged for this shit at any time but am willing to do the trial stuff...

sig-1.jpg
Penguin_Otaku on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If it's one of the several that ask you to sign up for a bunch of shit and eventually you earn enough points to get a free whatever, they are for the most part legit. A reporter for the paper did one a while back and wrote about his experience. His conclusion was that it's very important to follow all instructions very carefully and stay organized as many of the trial offers and whatnot he had to sign up for start billing if you don't cancel by a certain date. He also concluded that he spent so much time satisfying all the requirements and keeping track of things that it is far from free, even if you don't pay money. He said it was worthwhile if you're short on cash but have plenty of time to waste, though.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Lots of them, if not most, are scams. Best not to get involved and save up for your own MacBook.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited March 2009
    Are you talking about the thing where you sign up for a couple offers, and then get a few friends to sign up for a couple offers and they'll send you a __________?

edit: Runningman has the gist of it. It does work, but if you don't dot every I and cross every T you're gonna pay for it.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2009
    Just as long as you realize that it's not actually free, and whatever it is you give them is worth more than a Macbook.

Echo on