As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Growlanser PSP(and series discussion): A return to the origins

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
275Growlanser_Coverart.png

So after playing Growlanser Generations on the PS2, Growlanser rapidly became one of my favorite strategy RPGs.

Growlanser 2 & 3, included in Generations, utilize a unique line-based form of strategic combat, with multiple story paths and mission objectives.

There was also the fourth game that we never got and the fifth game that we did get, which wasn't really a strategy RPG at all, but that's another story.

Supposedly there had been plans to bring the original Growlanser, a PS1 game, to the US, but it never got the opportunity.

Here's what might be our second chance.

Growlanser 1 is being remade for the PSP, and should be released in Japan in the next few months.

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/1221811_1407.html
-There will be "extensive" expansion to the existing game scenarios and plot
-A brand new story path is being added, with a new ending to accompany it
-Entirely new story events are being added, both for new and old characters
-New characters include a new heroine named Ameria, and Featherian named Melfy.
-UI tweaking along with a sped up and slightly modernized version of the battle system
-A slew of other smaller technical tweaks

Has it be announced for a US release? Not yet, so I'm hoping to ensure we don't miss a second chance at the original by drumming up as much support as I can. It might not make a difference. Maybe Atlus USA have already made up their minds.

It sure couldn't hurt, though. Persona's PSP remake is already confirmed for a US release, so I see little reason to believe that this doesn't have a chance to follow it.

There's certainly enough new content to get around SCEA's traditional hatred for Growlanser, if nothing else.

Details?
C/O Zeonsilt & Lucethira from the Atlus MB
Zeonsilt wrote: »
~STORY~

The boy who was adopted by Rolandia's imperial court sorceress Sandra received two contradictory predictions: "To become a source to destroy the world" and "To become a light to save the world". Uneasy about his future, Sandra did not show him outside the capital or let him have contact with the outside world. Then, on the morning he turned seventeen years old, she told him the day has come for him to set off.
~Character Design by Satoshi Urushihara~
Wih this popular illustrator's beautifully drawn characters, the drama of the battle is vividly depicted. The kinds of events incorporated in intervals of the story are extensive. Events also occur in the middle of battle and in field movement.
Characters are slightly redrawn. Here is a side-by-side comparison:
TuDA8q8di1.jpgATsmNQiXRE.jpg

~Additional new routes introduce new characters~

The scenarios of this work, which is said to be of the series' peak in success, is further increased in volume. Other than new episodes added which relate to the popular characters, new heroines introduced with new routes will be able to be enjoyed. Also, event visuals are newly illustrated.
Amelia
Voice: Yukari Tamura
Heroine from a new route. She is researching the space-time distortion. She has merit but often commits mistakes on crucial situations.
liVv1HUsmS.jpg

Melfie
Voice: Maho Tomita
A girl of the race of people with wings on their backs, the Featherians. While she is among the Featherians, which highly regard cooperation, for some reason she is acting independently.
rYM0jpNP6U.jpg

~Realtime Mission Clear Battle System~

This system is the series' traditional battle system, which smoothly breaks into combat from event parts and completely changes the scene. The situation of the surroundings prior to battle greatly influence the combat tactics, and battle with full presence can be enjoyed. While making the best of the surrounding's circumstances, give precise instructions to your comrades amidst the progress of battle changing moment by moment and guide your team to victory.

~Battle tempo is further speed up~

In comparison to the original edition on PlayStation, the battle's tempo is elevated. In the battlefield's vicinity, third party persons such as town dwellers may also participate in the protagonists' fight.

~Deepen friendships with comrades~

According to the feelings held toward the hero by his company, there are factors which alter the development of the story. When special duties are cleared, a holiday can be taken. Thus, during the holidays, events occur when you speak to your comrades. Their feelings toward the hero may change.

Original translation © by Lucethira

This wouldn't be a proper marketing blitz without images, so:

090206grow01.jpg

090206grow04.jpg
^One of the new characters, Amelia.

090206grow06.jpg

090206grow07.jpg

090206grow08.jpg

And, supposed cover art:

ZN2l96VOFz51SQegyg286h4KggRJI3xP.jpg

Being able to play the first Growlanser in English also offers a plus to us Generations vets: the cast of the first game all appeared in the second. Growlanser II included a few short stories that offered a glimpse at the original story, but not a whole lot.

If I didn't already own a PSP, this would be my main inspiration to get on the ball, so hopefully this inspires some other on-the-go tacticians.

Lastly, it certainly couldn't hurt for you to show your support for this game to Atlus themselves.

And since there's some desire for this to be a general Growlanser thread, some history!

Growlanser_Generations_Coverart.png

The first Growlanser released in the US. Generations included two games in one:

Growlanser II: The Sense of Justice

G2.jpg

(Protagonist: Wein Cruz)

wein.jpg

And

Growlanser III: The Dual Darkness

G3.jpg

(Protagonist: Slayn Wilder)

slayn.jpg

Growlanser II is a sequel to the first in every way, since it includes the cast of the original as cameos, and occasionally, playable characters.

Growlanser III is a prequel, taking place at the dawn of the events which form the Growlanser world.

Each are easily lengthy enough games to be worth a $50 price tag on their own, but Working Designs were forced to sell them together because of SCEA's infamously dense policies restricting 2d games to being released as a compilation.

Hence, Generations was one heck of a deal. Sadly, it was also one that wound up putting Working Designs out of business.

The other game that was never released in the US uses the same gameplay in II and III, and another new cast:

Growlanser IV: Wayfarer of (the) Time

G4.jpg

I really don't know much about the story, except that Clevaniel(spelling may vary) has the best design of all five series protagonists.

clayvaniel.jpg

It's more of the same goodness as II and III, so if you really need a strategic fix, it can be imported on the cheap. There's a FAQ on it at GameFAQs, but it's not very helpful for story, just gameplay.

The next, and most recent that was released in the US, thanks to Atlus USA finally taking the reins from Working Designs:

Growlanser: Heritage of War
(aka Growlanser V: Generations)

aseembly_medium.jpgG5.jpg

The best thing about the localization is the artbook which came with it. It contains art from all five Growlanser games, and is almost worth the price of admission alone.

(Protagonist: Haschen)

G5c1.jpg

Growlanser V is the game that made a strategy RPG into an action RPG. Most of the gameplay fundamentals are otherwise the same. There's a new grid system for learning spells, and the characters are controlled directly rather than with predetermined strategies, but the rest is basically similar.

The story is passably interesting, but not quite up to the standards of the predecessors.

And last and not least, the one that we haven't gotten any word on:

Growlanser VI: Precarious World

256px-Growlanser_VI_Precarious_World.jpg

(Protagonist: Merklich)

merklich.jpg

Since it's a 2007 PS2 game that came out before Atlus' recently announced Devil Summoner 2 localization, odds are bleak that this'll get a US release.

Still, it's a direct sequel to V, so it could still be worth checking out, especially since it supposedly improves on V.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    That's cool. Isn't the main guy a character in the second?

I actually have the fifth one, but I have yet to play it. So many games.
    Isn't the character artist a hentai artist? It's weird, because his male designs are fancy as hell, and his female designs are kind of bland by comparison.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2009
    Jurg wrote: »

Isn't the character artist a hentai artist? It's weird, because his male designs are fancy as hell, and his female designs are kind of bland by comparison.
    The artist is Satoshi Urushihara, and yeah, he does a fair bit of hentai.

I've been looking to pick up a new game for my PSP, and between this and the possibility of the dungeon crawler there's at least some choice on the horizon.

A duck! on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

Yes, he is. It makes playing the game quite awkward at times when you see characters like the fairy in the latest game. Because you know. You know.

Anyway, I would play this. I'm betting Atlus will bring it over. They're still showing PSP support and since we never got this game before I don't think the X% new content rule that Sony has will apply.

Gilder on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009

It's good, but not quite excellent like Generations(especially II) was. I thought the actiony gameplay made it almost too easy. Still has moments.

Sadly, I think he's more known for that than he is for Growlanser, and all his best art comes from this. (A friend of mine is a fan of his anime/manga projects, and they all seem pretty dull to me.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Oh, and yeah, Carmaine is in Growlanser II. So is almost everyone else from the game. Some of them join you, and some are just hanging out in random areas.

And, some art lingering in my photobucket I should put to use here:

carmaine.jpg
    wein.jpg
    slayn.jpg
    charlone.jpg
    clive.jpg
    arieta.jpg
    annette.jpg

And Growlanser IV's Protagonist, just because:

clayvaniel.jpg

He has my favorite design of all five.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Ok.

Listen.

Guy.

Either wear a jacket or don't wear a jacket.

(Also <3 Growlanser. I've got my supremo edition of Generations sitting behind me.)

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So the game looks pretty and all, but hows the game play. I've been in the mood for a new SRPG ala FFT.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I've always wondered, why is this series named "Growlancer?"

... Is it a euphemism for penis?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    greeble wrote: »
    So the game looks pretty and all, but hows the game play. I've been in the mood for a new SRPG ala FFT.

Basically, everything happens in real time. Before a battle starts, you set each character's actions up. Whatever path you want them to move in, who they'll attack, what spells they'll cast, etc.

Once you start the battle, everyone moves as directed.

Growlanser V took out the strategic stuff, and made it into more of an action RPG.

Might make more sense if I post an example of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dC7jawJzR8

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Sweet, a new SRPG. Looks pretty interesting.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I just opened Growlanser V. The included things are very cool. Reminds me of Working Designs.

The actual game doesn't feel as strategic as II and III, which were both awesome, but it's still fun. It also reminds me of one of the coolest things about Growlanser: the scenarios and battle conditions have a lot of variation.

The character models are low-tech, but I love the sort of CLAMP-esque character proportions they all have.

EDIT- I guess this can be a general Growlanser thread?

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It's good, but not quite excellent like Generations(especially II) was. I thought the actiony gameplay made it almost too easy. Still has moments.

Sadly, I think he's more known for that than he is for Growlanser, and all his best art comes from this. (A friend of mine is a fan of his anime/manga projects, and they all seem pretty dull to me.)

I first found out about him back in the days of Langrisser, which was a much better series than Growlanser, but sadly never hit the US.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Is the Growlanser subtitled 'Heritage Of War' the fifth one?

Also: Huhuh, he said Growlanser.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    So I've always wondered, why is this series named "Growlancer?"

... Is it a euphemism for penis?

You're reading it wrong. It's a misspelling of 'Growl answer'. The main character of the first one wasn't very fond of answering questions. The name just kind of stuck.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I first found out about him back in the days of Langrisser, which was a much better series than Growlanser, but sadly never hit the US.

It did if you count Warsong. Not a perfect localization, but not that bad either.

Langrisser II was recently fan-translated, so anyone who likes Growlanser should definitely check it out.

It's a lot more like FFT, but on a much, much grander scale, since each character can command up to eight individual squads.

I wouldn't put it above Growlanser, since the two play completely different. Still a shame it didn't get more love in the US.
    Grislo wrote:
    Is the Growlanser subtitled 'Heritage Of War' the fifth one?

Yes.

And I'm perfectly fine with this being a general Growlanser thread. We had one for V when it came out, but since roughly three people on this board were playing it, it was sort of low profile.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Okay. On that note, I preferred Growlanser III to Growlanser II, because of the smaller party. It was hard to care about all 8 characters when Hans alone could have finished the battle. That boy was an engine of destruction.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I liked II more than III, because

-Wein was awesome. Protagonist with a backbone > Silent protagonist >>> generic protagonist
    -Charlone > Annette
    -Wolfgang
    -Arieta

But it's like choosing between Persona 3 and 4. Both are fun games with lots of depth and a solid cast, just each has specific traits the other doesn't.

I did go back and get a better ending in Growlanser II, but I never got Growlanser III's good ending, since it requires all sorts of loopholes that I never would've known about without consulting a FAQ.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, they were both very good.

My biggest problem with II is that it had so many segments that seemed like the end of the game, but weren't. It got tiring after a while.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2009

My biggest problem with II is that it had so many segments that seemed like the end of the game, but weren't. It got tiring after a while.

And then the end really did arrive but it was out of nowhere. Oh hey, I'm the real villain. What's that, there's only one mission left? Whatever.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Gilder wrote: »

And then the end really did arrive but it was out of nowhere. Oh hey, I'm the real villain. What's that, there's only one mission left? Whatever.

Yeah, it's not every RPG that has an epic demonic creature of darkness boss fight at the middle of the game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CoreCore Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    You know I played II and III and loved both of those, but remember really disliking Heritage of War, I can't remember why at the moment, I think maybe the battle system was a lot different than II and III? Anyway hopefully this new one is a lot like II and III.

Core on
    core_pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, the original Growlanser plays like II & III, which is why I hope Atlus'll give it a proper chance.

Heritage of War isn't a bad game, it's just very far removed from the strategy origins. If you take it as an action RPG, it's passable. I just hope Atlus USA didn't take its (supposed) lack of success as a sign that no one cares about Growlanser in the states; just that no one cared about V. :P

It's highly unlikely we'll get the sixth game in the states, but I'm okay with that, as long as we get the original's remake.

OP updated with some history.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I loved Growlanser 2. Growlanser 3, not so much. I mean, 3 was still a pretty good game, but it was a step back in many ways (2 had a diverging branching storyline along with much more interesting mission requirements and larger party sizes).

Seeing as how I'm going to have to buy a PSP for the Persona remake anyway, I'd be all for a localization of the Growlanser remake.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And the first video finally surfaces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXBZTcs0x90

Atlus can't let us miss out on this.

That music gives off a Shoji Meguro vibe.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I played the working designs release of Growlanser II & III. They were both decent games, but II was way too short. Since I'm in a position to play them, which games would you recommend? I've always heard great things about Langrisser, but Growlanswer always seems to get lousy review scores.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's not for everyone, I guess. II is my favorite.

I like what I've played of IV, but the only available FAQ isn't much help, so hopefully it'll get fan-translated one day.

The first female I encountered seemed a bit trashy, even by Urushihara standards.

1758.jpg

Unless you mean Langrisser, then definitely the first one. A fan patch was released for it to play it with the original portraits.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wasn't the first Langrisser game for Genesis and released in English as Warsong?

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Okay, actual boxart:

I like the PS1 art more, myself. But it works.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I feel like a terrible person for owning the super-ultra-special edition of Growlanser and never playing it. :|

Same with the Arc the Lad collection, actually. Should I really start them both? :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm with you on the ATL collection. I haven't played it yet either.

But Growlanser takes priority, so yes, get to it. :P

I also have the collector's version. The watch is crap, but the rest is good.

Wait, you're talking about Generations, right?

Because Heritage of War is mediocre at best in comparison.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, Generations. Its sitting on the shelf, with the seal broken, but never having been played. I don't know why... I think it got lost because of a few other games that came out at the same time, but they really are the the only games I own that I've never played.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    You should get on Arc the Lad collection. Arc the Lad 2 is really cool.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Once you start Growlanser II, you'll be hooked. The very first event lures you in, since your answers to the quiz determine the main character's stats and even available responses to certain dialogue options.

The gameplay(especially the mission requirements) can get very frustrating, but it's rewarding when you get the hang of it.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The thing that sucks about the quiz at the start is if you answer "wrong" you have no way of getting Charlone. It just cannot be done because her default affection level for you is so low that even all the right choices can't raise it high enough.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I relied on a FAQ to get Charlone's ending on my second run. The developers must have figured she'd be the most popular, because she requires a three ring circus to get with.

I don't recall the quiz playing a factor, though.

Growlanser III, that's a different story.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think the lucky color/stone or whatever in the quiz is the most important. I remember I picked at random on a playthrough where I was going for someone else and Charlone started out with like 2 lines of affection and they just did not want to raise.

Gilder on