As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 Boot up problems

HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok I was wondering if I could get some help, basically I was playing PS3 when my power went out (My dad was screwing around with some stuff and the fuse dropped), I figured nothing major cause I wasn't in the middle of saving or anything so I should be fine.

The problem is, whenever I turn on my PS3 now it does the initial Gong bit and the "Sony Playstation bla bla presents" bit then it just hangs on that black background with the white picture (Looks like the dashboard bit) and just sits there.

I can turn the PS3 off with the power button, it beeps a couple of times then takes a few minutes to actually shut down. So I'm just wondering exactly how borked is it? Hopefully in a way where I won't lose my saved data (I'm guessing it's a problem with the harddrive) is there a way to format the PS3 drive or am I going to have to connect it to a PC and format it?

Got my replacement back yesterday so it's all good now

Hitsuraptor on

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Have you tried holding the Power button down until you get the two-beeps?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If it's the drive, like you're assuming, the only way I know how to format it is when the console has been booted up. Though I don't even have a PS3 so I have no clue.

You could try hooking the HDD up to a computer and pulling your save files off it and then using somebody elses PS3 to reformat your drive and go from there.

Or before all that putting your drive in another PS3 to see if that's even the problem at all.
    Something could have borked internally on your PS3.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If your firmware is up to date, you should be able to get to the recovery menu.

Details here

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    If you can borrow a hard drive from somewhere else, perhaps you can swap it and make sure it's a hard drive problem?

At this rate, I'm going to start having nightmares about the used PS3 I bought...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Posted on the official playstation forum and they told me to call Sony
    After a chat with the guy on the phone he told me to send it in, so I'm getting another PS3 in about 2-3weeks
    The good thing though is that Sony pays for all the postage, just had to print out a form that they e-mailed me and take it to the post office. I lose all my save games though, but I didn't lose anything major so I'm not too fussed.

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I lose all my save games though, but I didn't lose anything major so I'm not too fussed.

Umm, why? just stick in any usb drive and back them up. This isnt 360.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Well it doesn't boot up past the initial opening splash (before any menus) so unless it automatically copies to USB when you put something in there's no way for me to get it back, plus I've already sent it off so either way its too late now (I have learnt for next time though to back up my saves :| )

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh jeez, I feel like a dick lol D=

Yeah so no harm then. Would a surge protector help at all against power failures?

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Not sure, but I'm definately getting one when I get the PS3 back
    Plus I realised I can probably just get saved games off the net to save myself the hassle of having to unlock stuff again :D

Hitsuraptor on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Oh jeez, I feel like a dick lol D=

Yeah so no harm then. Would a surge protector help at all against power failures?

Power failures, no. The only thing a surge protector does is protect against electrical surges, and it generally does it in a way that's similar to a bulletproof vest. Once they've been hit badly, most are not useful anymore.

A UPS is what you want to look at. Protects against surges, brownouts, blackouts, and electrical noise.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?