Options

PSU Question

ParticleManParticleMan Registered User new member
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm upgrading my computer soon. I'll be getting a new mobo, CPU, Ram, and reusing my video card, sound card, and i hope my PSU.

These are the specs of my new comp:
Mobo: BIOSTAR TForce965PT
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz
Ram: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2
Video Card: GeForce 7950 GT
Sound Card: X-Fi XtremeGamer
HardDrive: 130 Gig

The PSU in my old computer is a Thermaltake 430W. Would this be still be fine if I put into my new computer?

ParticleMan on

• Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited February 2007
    How old and what model is it? If it hasn't got a PCIe power out I think you're out of luck.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    It's a 2 year old model Xp550 NP

ParticleMan on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DaySleeper wrote: »
    How old and what model is it? If it hasn't got a PCIe power out I think you're out of luck.

What the hell are you talking about? He's currently using that power supply with that video card. CPU/Mobo/RAM changes mean jack shit regarding his PSU and video card.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    if its not a 24 pin connector to the MB youll have to upgrade, which it may not be since its older. ive heard of 20 pin to 24 pin adapters but i dont know about those.

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited February 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »
    DaySleeper wrote: »

What the hell are you talking about? He's currently using that power supply with that video card. CPU/Mobo/RAM changes mean jack shit regarding his PSU and video card.

Oh, sorry. Reading comprehension++. Sorry Particle. I thought you were also getting a new video card.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I'll live :)
    I checked the quick guide from my old motherboard and it looks like it does have a 24-pin power connector. Would it be a good idea to stay with this PSU and see how things work out? I really don't want to spend much more money on my computer if I can help it...

ParticleMan on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Aside from the fact that it's a Thermaltake brand PSU, it'll be fine. 430W is plenty for just about any system short of an overclocked SLI rig. With that system, I doubt you'll draw 300W.

JWFokker on