As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Age difference, need opinions (girl thread)

JaiyeJaiye Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So i met this girl at a party this past weekend, and during the party we really hit it off, made out for a bit before it was interrupted, and then ended up snuggling with sleeping. Pretty much the chemistry was just right.

Now for some reason, not that she told be but i just assumed she was 19/20 or near that age. I'm just a month away from 21, so that would be fine. But a few days later i checked her myspace (she was a friend of a friend) and i find out that she's 17 and still in high school. So she's the same age as my little brother.

I didn't really know if i should pursue this, not wanting people to think I was creepy going for a girl 3 1/2 years younger then me, so I was just going to not do anything and let it sit, just wait until another girl came along and try to forget it. That was until today, when she messages me.

So now i'm not sure what to do, and I want your opinions. At this age, is the difference to big, or would it seem acceptable? My friends poke fun at me occasionally for *almost* hooking up with underage girls before (at the time i thought they were older, never went furthur then making out though), and while typing this out I'm starting to think this might just all be coming from a subconscious need for everybody to approve of what I do.

Ok, advice/opinions.... go.

Jaiye on

• Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    don't see it as a make or break issue - hang out, have some fun.

if it works then great, if not then you had some good times

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I made out with a girl who turned out to be my little brother's date THE NEXT NIGHT to his Junior Prom (that makes me 20 at the time, her 16 or 17) I felt dirty, but do I regret it? Not at all, she could come over right now if she wanted.

Pojaco on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well...is it just weirding you out that she's 17 and still in HS and same age as your brother? Would it make a difference if she was 18 and you were 21, both in college?

It shouldn't be a big deal what others think about what you do. If it makes you happy, then go for it. You might be passing up something great. I'm 26 and my gf is 22 and we've been going out for 2 years this May. I've never been happier.

Just gotta ask yourself, does the acceptance of what others think about what you do dictate your choices?

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    No big deal, go for it!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's not a huge issue, I think. You didn't approach this girl with the knowledge or intent of deflowering an underage high school student. If the two of you are cool with it, give her a year and then get into a relationship when she's 18. 3 1/2 years between adults is much less of an issue than 3 1/2 years for kids.

She's almost old enough and the age difference is not so great as to be a real problem -- no generation gap -- if the two of you are serious and willing to wait twelve months (or less) before committing to a full relationship.

Doronron on
  • Options
    PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Let's think about her dad though. If I were him, I'd have beaten your ass already. I assume she still lives at home?

Pojaco on
  • Options
    AlgrunAlgrun Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Well, speaking from personal experience, a 3-4 year difference at this age is nothing but trouble. I'd be worried less about what everyone thinks of you and more about maturity levels. 17 year old girls have an ability to project an image of maturity, but get at little bit past that act and you'll find that they are still teenagers. Very much so. I had great chemistry with a girl 4 years my junior in my senior year of college, but good GOD you would not believe the amount of extra shit you have to deal with when in a relationship with a teenager. She was twice as mature as I was at that age and looked twice as good, but dating her was like going to a theme park, except instead of roller coasters there were just tons of mind games and eating disorders.

Seriously, don't worry about what everyone thinks. Worry more about why you think you could have a better relationship with a 17 year old than someone a little closer to your age. I made the jump from a relationship with an 18 year old freshman to a girl a year older than me and its like going from an all inclusive beach resort during high school spring break to touring Europe with Margaret Thatcher.

Algrun on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    well, I'll see what happens then and just not put so much pressure on the age gap, because that really shouldn't be the deciding factor in any of this. Thanks for the advice.

And Algrun, I've had my share of both good and very bad relationships with girls older then I, so i think it really comes down to the people more then the age. This one girl who was 22, after 2 months of getting to know her I would swear she was still a junior in HS.

Jaiye on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, the main concern would be the maturity difference.

Well, that, and the fact that I think you'd be committing a felony (at least a misdemeanor) in California if you were to have sex with her.

So don't do that.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Algrun wrote: »
    I made the jump from a relationship with an 18 year old freshman to a girl a year older than me and its like going from an all inclusive beach resort during high school spring break to touring Europe with Margaret Thatcher.

Great. Now I'm thinking of Margaret Thatcher, topless in a spaghetti thong, on a beach in Cannes. Thank you Algrun. Thank you so very much.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Well, that, and the fact that I think you'd be committing a felony (at least a misdemeanor) in California if you were to have sex with her.

So don't do that.

yeah, that would be a big no-no, until september. i don't want to be registered as a sexual predator or whatever o.0

Jaiye on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm a big fan of the "half your age plus seven" rule. I was in almost your exact situation (she had just turned 18) a little over a year ago and I went ahead with it. As others have mentioned, she had a core of molten insanity beneath her collected exterior and things ended pretty quickly. Still, I can tell you that I would have regretted not trying a whole lot more than I ever regretted the relationship. Besides, they can't all be crazy.

Right?

Bama on
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd say feel it out and see where things go. I've certainly hooked up with girls at around that age when I was around your age, and while it didn't end up going anywhere, it was still fun.

Hell, one of my best friends is marrying his girlfriend of seven years or so, and they started dating when she was 14, and he was 18.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Doronron wrote: »
    I made the jump from a relationship with an 18 year old freshman to a girl a year older than me and its like going from an all inclusive beach resort during high school spring break to touring Europe with Margaret Thatcher.

Great. Now I'm thinking of Margaret Thatcher, topless in a spaghetti thong, on a beach in Cannes. Thank you Algrun. Thank you so very much.

You best believe me when I tell you that Margaret has elegant taste in beach wear.

Algrun on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

You best believe me when I tell you that Margaret has elegant taste in beach wear.

Banana yellow satin thong. White old school rollerskates. Ankle high socks. Red, white, and blue umbrella. June Cleaver pearls. And nothing else.

Just rolling down the boardwalk.

Doronron on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd definitely say A) make sure this doesn't go against the laws of consent in your state and B) not pursue any kind of relationship. The maturity difference in 17-20 is pretty massive.

Other than that, hey, have fun and be safe.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    HazzelhoffHazzelhoff Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd say feel it out and see where things go. I've certainly hooked up with girls at around that age when I was around your age, and while it didn't end up going anywhere, it was still fun.

Hell, one of my best friends is marrying his girlfriend of seven years or so, and they started dating when she was 14, and he was 18.

that's not right. really

i'm getting outa this thread before I hear more to the likes of this

Hazzelhoff on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Banana yellow satin thong. White old school rollerskates. Ankle high socks. Red, white, and blue umbrella. June Cleaver pearls. And nothing else.

Hey did you look up "elegant beachwear" in the dictionary and just copy+paste it on the boards? Because what you wrote is exactly what my dictionary says.

Algrun on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Jaiye wrote: »
    and while typing this out I'm starting to think this might just all be coming from a subconscious need for everybody to approve of what I do.

Bingo!

Fact of the matter is, if you like her and she likes you, almost nothing else matters. Just make sure there is no sex until she is legally allowed to.

I'm in the same situation as you. Met a girl who is 18 (I'm almost 22). She's funny, attractive, and we have great banter. I don't give a damn if my friends make fun of me for it because I don't need their, or anyone else's, approval.

ege02 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ege02 wrote: »
    and while typing this out I'm starting to think this might just all be coming from a subconscious need for everybody to approve of what I do.

Bingo!

Fact of the matter is, if you like her and she likes you, almost nothing else matters. Just make sure there is no sex until she is legally allowed to.

I'm in the same situation as you. Met a girl who is 18 (I'm almost 22). She's funny, attractive, and we have great banter. I don't give a damn if my friends make fun of me for it because I don't need their, or anyone else's, approval.

Wait until she invites you to a party in NYC and you show up and its just a bunch of 16 year old kids in an empty apartment with no furniture doing cocaine and throwing candy at each other, then say that.

OK, maybe my personal experiences don't lend well to the formulation of universal maxims regarding 17 year old girls.

Algrun on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Hey did you look up "elegant beachwear" in the dictionary and just copy+paste it on the boards? Because what you wrote is exactly what my dictionary says.

I just have a vivid imagination, which unfortunately includes the former Prime Minister's tits in HD resolution.

Doronron on
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    ege02 wrote: »

Bingo!

Wait until she invites you to a party in NYC and you show up and its just a bunch of 16 year old kids in an empty apartment with no furniture doing cocaine and throwing candy at each other, then say that.

OK, maybe my personal experiences don't lend well to the formulation of universal maxims regarding 17 year old girls.

Reminded me of that one episode of Friends.

ege02 on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

So don't do that.

yeah, that would be a big no-no, until september. i don't want to be registered as a sexual predator or whatever o.0

Also, while I have little knowledge on the subject, I think that there are laws concerning lewd conduct and what not that they might be able to hit you with even if you don't have intercourse. Just something to think about, and make sure you're covered. And September is a long time away....

Aside from that, maturity level. I've met a few pretty mature 17/18 year olds (including some that seemed more mature than a lot of the 18/19 college freshman I run into...it's as though people regress when they start college)...but at that age maturity is still changing at an exponential rate. The difference in maturity between 17/28 and 21 is a whole lot larger, in general, than the difference between 30 and 27.

But hey, if you like her and she likes you I say see what happens. The age difference doesn't fit my definition of "creepy," just "unwise." But I've made unwise decisions in the past that ended up leading to positive outcomes, so I can't talk.

Just seriously, make sure you stay within the law...otherwise you're just a pissed off father (or a pissed off suddenly-ex-girlfriend) from the sex offender registry.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Screw maturity, people's personalities change drastically once they're out of HS and "cut loose." The person you fell for could be entirely different once she's out of HS and the real world slaps her on her ass.

Personally, I find that the "whoacrapi'manadult" smack that hits people once they have to go to college or figure out what to do with the entire rest of their life is a good thing, and people who end up with no job just staying with their parents tend to just lack something in their personalities.

But maybe that's just me. Still, no sex until she's 18, but if she's cool, she's cool. Don't get obsessive and don't get weepy if she goes off to college somewhere and doesn't like you anymore.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    EggyToast wrote: »
    Screw maturity, people's personalities change drastically once they're out of HS and "cut loose." The person you fell for will be entirely different once she's out of HS and the real world slaps her on her ass.

Fixed.

But I don't think you're at the age where you need to consider every girlfriend as auditioning for the role of future wife. Enjoy it while it lasts.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It just depends on the girl, I guess. I met my girlfriend when she was 16 and I was 22, although we didn't even start dating until she was 18 and in college. We've been together over 5 years and just got engaged earlier this month.

The age difference really bothered me at first, and I think it bothered her parents too, but I managed to win them over. I don't think it would hurt to pursue this as long as you are careful.

SteevL on
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, totally. I'm a big fan of dating people and not getting too serious about it. The OP should take that same approach, though, which makes the age difference itself less important (and makes the fact that she has some major life events coming up very soon, most likely, more important).

When I was in college, 17 and 18 year olds are still very attractive, and the age difference really isn't a factor. And there are plenty of people who seem "mature." But the whole "no longer living at home," "able to do what you want at night," heck, even "watching TV all day in your PJs with no parents telling you to do the dishes" are all major life changing events. Some people who are really cool turn into total slobs. Slobs turn into really neat people who are only minorly gross. Hot people become just a face in the crowd, and you aren't confronted by cliques -- both of people you dislike, as well as a useful way to categorize "other" people.

So yeah, the OP shouldn't really have any moral problems with dating the girl, just having sex with her. if she's like any other HS girl I know, sex is some "major thing" and "dating is almost like being married" so there may be too much drama there for him to even attempt sex. I was finding most 17 and 18 yr olds incredibly boring despite being 18 and then 19 myself, simply due to the college thing. When someone's conversation consists entirely of what some teacher you'll never meet does, it doesn't lead to worthwhile relationships :D

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast