a

PojacoPojaco Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Help / Advice Forum
a

Pojaco on

• Options
    edited February 2007
    No one else is running Vista and using an ATI card?

Pojaco on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Not yet. Probably not for two machines from now. At the moment, the only reason for me to switch to Vista is DX10, and the only cards I know of that are DX10 compliant are nVidias. Any machine I build in the near future will likely carry one of those 8800s.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    That's been one of my thoughts, that I would wait until ATI released their DX10 cards

Pojaco on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    They recommend you have 2 gigs of ram for running Vista.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yes. At least I've seen that with Home Premium. Any configurations I've put together online with Home Basic seem to stick with a 1GB standard.

IRT Pojaco: So far, ATI hasn't announced a DX10 counter to nVidia, which is unfortunate. The most powerful cards in their stock right now seem to be the Radeon x1950 for desktops and the Mobility x2300 for laptops. Both are DX9. Kinda strange that there hasn't been a response since the 8800's release.

When I do go DX10, that'll be be first nVidia GFX card I've ever owned.

Doronron on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Yeah, put another gig or two in your box, and it will run much better.

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    This is why you shouldn't be an early adopter for software that you don't really need yet. There is 0 reason to convert from Windows XP to Vista right now. Wait until some of the heavy Direct X10 games come out and 4 gbs of RAM has become the standard.

Remember 2 gigs of RAM is recommended amount. The real recommendation is to always have at least double of whatever is specified on the box.

That said, the jump from XP will leave a lot of machines obsolete for desktop use.

Obs on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ATI did make some experimental Vista Drivers, which I used during the Beta, but CS:S still ran craptacular.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    there have been TWO ati releases for drivers ... one on vista release day, 7.1 and 7.2 which was released last week.

Both run like a champ on my vista 64bit box. I run hl2 / cs:source very nicely. I have no comparison to xp, beacuse my xp box was SLOW

E4200 @ 2.99 ghz
    2gb mem 4-4-4
    Radeon x1950 Pro

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    You're having a severe performance drop because Vista itself takes 512 Megs of RAM. That is half of your current computer's memory used up by the OS. Don't use Vista until you've gotten a computer with multiple gigs of RAM.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I just remembered that my first computer had 2x 8mb SIMMs of EDO-RAM.

Now I feel old.

And I also feel like I want to play C&C.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    redimpulseredimpulse Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Old?

My first computer had 640k base RAM with 1024k extended memory. No HDD, just two 5.25" floppy drives. Cost about $3000.

But back to the issue of liking Vista, why do you want to? It's bloated and not built for todays technologies. If I were you I'd go back to XP and wait a while before returning to Vista. DX10 is nice, but few things support it at this time. Wait until it is adopted and is ready to become a standard before you upgrade just to have it.

redimpulse on
    rbsig.jpg
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    I just remembered that my first computer had 2x 8mb SIMMs of EDO-RAM.

Now I feel old.

And I also feel like I want to play C&C.
    Don't feel too bad, my first computer didn't even have a Hard Drive :(

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!