As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheaper Xbox

Sharpie90210Sharpie90210 Registered User new member
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
I read somewhere that they were making a new, cheaper Xbox, with a 60gb hard drive, that was coming out in April. I have been wondering if that's true.

--
Sharpie

siggieqd5.png
Sharpie90210 on

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hi, welcome to the forums. Please read the rules before you post. Signing your posts is frowned upon and 1337 speak is not tolerated either.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pretty sure "they" quit making Xboxes a while ago.

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    GertBeefGertBeef Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    To answer your question.

I don't think there has been any official word on a new version of the 360 as of right now.

GertBeef on
    gertsig.jpg
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is the first I've heard of it being cheaper.

Some gaming news sites have info on the new 360 model that supposedly might come out... Last I read, it is going to be black... eh?

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Personally, I was hoping we'd see one more price drop of the original XBox before it just simply faded away, but sadly that didn't happen.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is the first I've heard of it being cheaper.

Some gaming news sites have info on the new 360 model that supposedly might come out... Last I read, it is going to be black... eh?

The cheaper part was people's speculation... I think it was more lowered cost to produce than cheaper for consumers.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, any "cheaper" thing to come out of it would be for Microsoft's wallet, not ours.

don't expect a price drop for any of the 3 systems for the next year, at least.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Yeah, any "cheaper" thing to come out of it would be for Microsoft's wallet, not ours.

People keep saying this, but I really think 360 will drop in price by the end of the year. Analysts have said recently that Microsoft are making money now (~$80) on every 360 sold, and Halo 3 + $300 Premium + cheapest way to play GTA4 = 360 owns the holiday season. In North America, at least.

bruin on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »

People keep saying this, but I really think 360 will drop in price by the end of the year. Analysts have said recently that Microsoft are making money now (~$80) on every 360 sold, and Halo 3 + $300 Premium + cheapest way to play GTA4 = 360 owns the holiday season. In North America, at least.

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft do that just to ruin Sony's next Christmas too. Coupled with a massive ad campaign maybe. I think any price cuts depend more on what Sony does than any other factors.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Wait wait, GTA4 isn't 360 exclusive anymore? I coulda sworn whats-his-face got it tatooed on his arm to announce it.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    I think it is more likely we'd see a better bundle for Christmas than a price drop now. Although, if the premium dropped to $379 or $349, that would seriously put a dent in Sony's PS3 sales, which would put it anywhere between $120 to $150 cheaper than a 20GB PS3.

Jesus Christ, if they aso dropped the price of the Core to $279 or $249, and dropped the greedy as fuck price of the 20GB HDD down to something remotely reasonable (Like, say $19.99 as opposed to $99.99 you greedy cunts) and released a larger hard drive standalone... that would pretty much demolish The PS3 Christmas.

Even moreso if Halo 3 launches anytime around then.

Imagine a 360 premium bundle with a 60GB HDD, a copy of Halo 3, a custom faceplate, and a pricetag somewhere around $449, and MS could pretty much own Q4 '07.

Einhander on
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Wezoin wrote: »

Wait wait, GTA4 isn't 360 exclusive anymore? I coulda sworn whats-his-face got it tatooed on his arm to announce it.

He got it tattooed on his arm to announce that it was coming out for both on the same day.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Einhander wrote: »
    I think it is more likely we'd see a better bundle for Christmas than a price drop now. Although, if the premium dropped to $379 or $349, that would seriously put a dent in Sony's PS3 sales, which would put it anywhere between $120 to $150 cheaper than a 20GB PS3.

Jesus Christ, if they aso dropped the price of the Core to $279 or $249, and dropped the greedy as fuck price of the 20GB HDD down to something remotely reasonable (Like, say $19.99 as opposed to $99.99 you greedy cunts) and released a larger hard drive standalone... that would pretty much demolish The PS3 Christmas.

Even moreso if Halo 3 launches anytime around then.

Imagine a 360 premium bundle with a 60GB HDD, a copy of Halo 3, a custom faceplate, and a pricetag somewhere around $449, and MS could pretty much own Q4 '07.

Don't expect the hard drive to go below $50, although we might see a bump in capacity. Microsoft likes to make money on peripherals, not lose it. Hard drives are expensive, or rather, there's a certain price floor that they really can't drop beneath, even as capacity keeps going up.

That's why Nintendo used flash memory instead. Flash just gets cheaper and cheaper, but hard drives are always going to have some significant cost.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    The thing that bothers me the most is that they are slapping a standard laptop 20GB hard drive into a proprietary plastic casing and overcharging the consumer by around $80.

But, I guess the average gamer who plays exclusively console games might not know that $100 buys you a pretty decent amount of space in the PC world, even if you're shopping retail.

I see that they can stretch the 20GB drives out for a while longer, but eventually people are going to be frustrated when they are continually running out of space on the 13GB they are allotted. How does Microsoft plan to sell all of the digital movies and other content when a game can clock in at hundreds of megs, and a movie several gigs? Even high definition TV shows have hefty data requirements. People won't want to delete and redownload all of this stuff on a regular basis.

Good point on flash though. THe only problem is, it wouldn't make sense to have more than a couple of gigs of flash memory, because I thik after theat the price advantage disappears.

Einhander on