As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I must have THE INTERNETS!

pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I live in the UK, Coventry to be precise and next year i'm moving out of my poxy studio apartment with my girlfriend and we're moving into a large house and sharing it with some friends. It's me and 4 girls and none of them use the internet for anything more than facebook and msn.

I however require a lot of internet for my various vice's of WoW, L4D and just general internet based funs that require me not to have lag.

They were going to get cheap internet, but sharing it with 4 other people is bad enough, so i've opted to sort out the BEST possible internet going that will let us whore out our net supply on a whim.

They're going to pay a small sum each as if they where paying for the cheap net they wanted, and i said i would pay for the remaining larger portion of the bill.

I need to know the best internet i can get for a house with 5 people, I'm not sure if i'll be living in one of those special areas where you can get a suped up virgin connection etc so lets say that i won't.

tl;dr find me the best internet in england for a house of 5

what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
pogo mudder on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    http://www.accessplace.com/internet-services/west-midlands/coventry.htm#

That's the best I could do for ya. Sorry man.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am looking for this, also, but I will highly recommend against Virgin in every case. I have used their broadband service in two different locations and they are unequivocally terrible. You only get the speed you pay for in the early morning, and you're throttled at almost every other point. There is no reason that I should lag out of games online with a 10Mb connection, but I do often. I've never had a speed test run higher than seven meg.

BT's deal with Sky was fairly good when I had it, but I have no idea about cost or anything. BT's customer service is also notoriously bad - once it's set up after a month of yelling at them you should be set, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As a contrary point of view to Willeth's, I've had a reasonably good experience with Virgin's 10Mbit cable connection in my student house this year. On the other hand, if you go the DSL route, I implore you to avoid Tiscali: not only is their service and support awful, they're on the brink of collapse as a business.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We initially got Virgin 10 meg. Four months later, after much arguing with them, they actually added the zero on. We'd been paying for 10 meg and receiving 1 meg for four months and haven't seen any compensation yet. Take from that what you will. This is Sheffield.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Get a router that has QoS built in. Prioritize your L4D/WoW/other gaming UDP ports at the top of the stack, lump the FTP/torrents/etc at the bottom, and let everything else sit in the middle.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    pogo mudderpogo mudder Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't know you could prioritise a router like that but i'll ask which whatever internet company about it, sounds like a good idea. On the virgin front, I'm probably gonna steer clear of them, the number of people who've had bad expiriences seems to outway the number who've had mediocre ones.
    But ty, keep the information coming :)

pogo mudder on
    what a work of art is man, and the most boring choice you can make
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only reason to go with virgin is if you get their TV and phone services as well, since its worked out cheaper, at least for me. However if you need to get hold of them for anything they are shit, and they will lie to you if they think they can get more money out of you. My mum's house has BT homehub broadband and freeview etc, which is an excellent service as far as I can tell, and can't come recommended highly enough from me

Quirk on