As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

More matlab

DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey ya'll. I was wondering if there is a built-in matlab function or tool I can use to implicitly solve a non linear equation with just one variable.

It is this function (the fully integrated part):

d7734773ac014eb81173cec29b37fa5e.png

I tried using the solve function in matlab, but this blew it up. I know everything but M.

Anybody have an idea?

edit: I guess what I'm looking for is a built-in function that matlab has that can approximate this M value for me. The scope of the project i am working on is well beyond just solving for M, so I would rather like to avoid writing my own numerical solver.

y6GGs3o.gif
Demerdar on

• Options
    CycloneRangerCycloneRanger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Demerdar wrote: »
    Hey ya'll. I was wondering if there is a built-in matlab function or tool I can use to implicitly solve a non linear equation with just one variable.

I tried using the solve function in matlab, but this blew it up. I know everything but M.

Anybody have an idea?

edit: I guess what I'm looking for is a built-in function that matlab has that can approximate this M value for me. The scope of the project i am working on is well beyond just solving for M, so I would rather like to avoid writing my own numerical solver.
    Ah, compressible flow, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking for the fzero command.

CycloneRanger on
  • Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Demerdar wrote: »

Anybody have an idea?

Ah, compressible flow, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways...

Anyway, it sounds like you're looking for the fzero command.

Method of characteristics ftw.

Anyway, found a good quadratic approximation ..

http://www.pdas.com/pm.pdf

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif