As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oracle buys Sun...

Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with ragefrom a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
...and all it's stuff to the tune of 7.4 beeeeelion dollars. *pinky-smirk*

Biggest conjecture out of the deal so far is that Oracle will quietly kill MySQL.

Here is a link to a recored conference call talking about the deal. (I got the link from Groklaw.) You have to register to listen to the recording.

Over in the newspicks section, there is good news to balance out the bad for MySQL users: If Oracle does kill off MySQL there is already an established fork named MariaDB.

Any thoughts from you folks managing the 'big iron'?

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
Just_Bri_Thanks on

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    At least they weren't bought by IBM as some suspected. I hate IBM.

jackal on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Can you tell us why?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    All they would have to do to kill MySQL would be to move all the documentation onto MetaLink...

I swear, I hate every single person involved with that ungodly "support" monstrosity.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MySQL is GPL, so they can't kill it. Someone else will pick up the source and continue maintaining it (which they already have I believe, some of the original MySQL guys left Sun and started their own project). There might be some turmoil in the meantime, but MySQL will live on.

Now whether it deserves to or not, that's another debate. Postgres is a very good database these days, and MySQL uncertainty may be the best thing to have ever happened to Postgres.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    MySQL is GPL, so they can't kill it. Someone else will pick up the source and continue maintaining it (which they already have I believe, some of the original MySQL guys left Sun and started their own project).

I put a link in the OP.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MySQL is GPL, so they can't kill it. Someone else will pick up the source and continue maintaining it (which they already have I believe, some of the original MySQL guys left Sun and started their own project). There might be some turmoil in the meantime, but MySQL will live on.

Now whether it deserves to or not, that's another debate. Postgres is a very good database these days, and MySQL uncertainty may be the best thing to have ever happened to Postgres.

I used PostreSQL for an electronic inventory tracking system, and was very pleasantly surprised by it. :^:

Kris on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can you tell us why?

Because every CTO seems to think they shit gold, and leave grunts to use their shitty apps, or deal with their shitty BPO, or their shitty contractors.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    jackal wrote: »
    Can you tell us why?

Because every CTO seems to think they shit gold, and leave grunts to use their shitty apps, or deal with their shitty BPO, or their shitty contractors.
    This is true for every company.

xzzy on
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Huh. I have used both Oracle and MySQL a lot, and both are equally unimpressive. Maybe this will help push more web servers to something a little more full-featured.

LoneIgadzra on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Huh? Unimpressive?

What features could you possibly want that neither Oracle or MySQL have? They're like the dumping ground for database features.

xzzy on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Huh? Unimpressive?

What features could you possibly want that neither Oracle or MySQL have? They're like the dumping ground for database features.

Seconded, particularly with all the extra plug-in support you have for each to Java, etc.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    Huh? Unimpressive?

Seconded, particularly with all the extra plug-in support you have for each to Java, etc.

Man, Oracle's problem is that it has so many included and optional features that it's a bitch to properly configure and maintain.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can you tell us why?

Case in point: Peoplesoft

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh god I hate peoplesoft. I have been with two companies that used it: one for tracking help desk tickets and troubleshooting database and the second used it for tracking ordering and purchasing.

Peoplesoft is not fit for human use.

Edit: The concept behind Peoplesoft is sound, but the UI is about as retarded a box of incontinent monkeys.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The only direct exposure I've had to Oracle software was when I tried to install/use their identity management BS (OID, OVD, OAM, etc.). Sweet zombie jesus was that shit way more confusing than it needed to be.

Epyon9283 on
  • Options
    VulpineVulpine Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I wonder if Oracle will start selling Sparc servers as dedicated database machines? Niagara and Niagara 2 support an obscene amount of threads per CPU, and a nicely-tuned massively-multithreaded Oracle or MySQL DB box would be a pretty easy sell, I'd imagine.

Vulpine on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have been pretty happy so far with my use of both Oracle and MySQL. Although, I deeply believe that Oracle is only a pain in the ass to maintain so that DBAs can still have high-paying jobs.

Honestly, I'm not sure which company I'd be happier with out of IBM or Oracle (not that it matters now). As someone who deals with products from all 3 companies on a daily basis (Oracle, Websphere, Java), this has been pretty interesting to watch.

Also, I just realized I might be the most boring person I know.

Halibut on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    FF wrote: »
    Can you tell us why?

Case in point: Peoplesoft

I'm almost completely limited to user-case in Peoplesoft...but is this a flaw on Oracle/SQL, or just Peoplesoft shittiness?

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't think they will kill MySQL. Oracle mostly competes with Microsoft SQL Server, which also competes with MySQL, but out of the three or four times in my career that we've been debating which SQL server to use, Oracle and MySQL were never really competitors.

In any case, they can't kill MySQL outright, since it's open source. All they would do by halting support for it is cutting off a source of revenue.

Doc on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    Can you tell us why?

It's a running joke at my work.

Doc on
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh god I hate peoplesoft. I have been with two companies that used it: one for tracking help desk tickets and troubleshooting database and the second used it for tracking ordering and purchasing.

Peoplesoft is not fit for human use.

Edit: The concept behind Peoplesoft is sound, but the UI is about as retarded a box of incontinent monkeys.

I am going to print off that last sentence and put it up in my office. The university I work for uses PS for their student database, financials, HR and (o god) our portal. We'd have been better off making the entire portal in Word 07 and saving it to HTML.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    jdarksun wrote: »
    The acquisition bothers me because I'm worried that Oracle will fuck with Java.

I haven't followed the conquests of Oracle well. Do they have a history of fucking shit up? I know PeopleSoft sucked before they got it and it hasn't stopped sucking or changed the way it sucks . . . yet.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And fucking up java? Is it possible for it to be any more fucked up than it is?

I understand it's got a tall order to fill, with the whole cross-platform bytecode thing, but Java has always felt like it's being held back by Sun. Wacky versioning under Linux causes a heap of confusion for the users I support, and their updater under Windows drives me nuts.

No, I do not want to install openoffice you jackasses. Stop prompting me for it.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Last Java update, I had to opt out of microsoft's web tool bar.

How much sense does that make?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And fucking up java? Is it possible for it to be any more fucked up than it is?

I understand it's got a tall order to fill, with the whole cross-platform bytecode thing, but Java has always felt like it's being held back by Sun. Wacky versioning under Linux causes a heap of confusion for the users I support, and their updater under Windows drives me nuts.

No, I do not want to install openoffice you jackasses. Stop prompting me for it.

Java as a language is fine. It is one of the best languages for building enterprise software if you have developers with a wide range of skills/experience. As a language, it is simple and powerful, and for the most part prevents you from doing weird things that can make your life (and other people's lives) a living hell. There is a reason why it is so prevalent in business.

However, because of these features, the language spec has become difficult to change, and it's starting to show its old age. You can't change it too much because it will get more complex (and all your low-mid-level programmers will need to be trained again). Meanwhile, newer languages with powerful features are passing it by. Some of these are languages that run on Java's own JVM.

Which brings me to an important point. The JVM is a work of art. You mean I can compile my code once and have it run on almost any platform known to man? Yes. It will handle memory management, threading, native file access all in a consistent way? Yes. That same JVM will automatically compile my code to native code without me needing to change anything? Fuck yes. There are probably over a hundred new languages that run on the JVM, and they all share these benefits. More than that, a lot of them have full interoperability with Java libraries. The JVM might (unintentionally?) be the single greatest thing that Sun has ever made.

Anyway, enough rambling. I agree with your point about the Java updater though. Annoying as hell.

Halibut on
  • Options
    desdinovadesdinova Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    They're not going to mess with java or mysql, Ellison might be an egomaniac but he's not stupid. I'm positive that the buyout was solely for vertical integration. Oracle being able to sell you a turnkey system is a lot better for them in the long run then the piecemeal affair they've got now.
    The only thing I could see dying a slow death is SPARC support but, who knows, it's way too early to tell anything at this point.

desdinova on
    wat
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I agree java and mysql will be fine. Oracle is still such a better database than mysql even though it's the most expensive god damned thing you ever done saw.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    mastman wrote: »
    I agree java and mysql will be fine. Oracle is still such a better database than mysql even though it's the most expensive god damned thing you ever done saw.

PostrgreSQL is what you want to compare with Oracle, not MySQL.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    mastman wrote: »

PostrgreSQL is what you want to compare with Oracle, not MySQL.

Yeah, but PostgreSQL doesn't fit into the whole Oracle/Sun thing. MySQL does.

Halibut on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It would amuse me no end if after 4 years of having to study the utter SHIT that is Java Oracle erased it from existence...

:|

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have a friend that works at Oracle (not that that means much) and even he doesn't know exactly what will happen. He pointed out though that Oracle is for banks, not websites, so they aren't competing products.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    edited May 2009
    Mblackwell wrote: »
    I have a friend that works at Oracle (not that that means much) and even he doesn't know exactly what will happen. He pointed out though that Oracle is for banks, not websites, so they aren't competing products.

I've lived through two acquisitions, and in those experiences, the bigger company never notices any changes.

The smaller company gets absolutely raped up the ass though. First thing that happens is you get a visit from your new CEO promising that it will be "business as usual" and "nothing will change". Then the execs who got huge payouts for the merger disappear, and management starts getting moved around. New management from the parent company shows up and starts evaluating how to integrate services.

Then a round of layoffs gets announced, and half your co-workers are gone. Anyone left gets absorbed into the parent company in new roles.

Most acquisitions are to acquire a brand or customer base.. it is very rarely about actually trying to save the company being purchased.

xzzy on