Options

[Helldivers II] Enjoy A Nice Cup of Liber-Tea, Citizen!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    I got on this morning and did some 7+ for the super samples plus the daily and after every single mission the host quit. Is that a thing again? Are people just doing one mission and then quitting? Frustrating.

I mean missions are up to 40 minutes. When you have kids, that's a nice contained experience when you have a moment.

That's true but a heads up would be appreciated.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Speaking of kids: Walked in on my son standing next to a mortar on the ridge of a large nest his team was clearing.

"Wait, is that your mortar?"

"Yeah, why?" He replied, seconds before a guy with a flame thrower crested the ridge and roasted him.

I felt bad, because he genuinely thought he was helping, and had been cheerfully narrating out loud, but I also lol'd pretty hard because the timing was perfect.

(I explained why that's frowned upon, so hopefully he will no longer visit that particular shame upon our house)

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Speaking of mortars if you drop an ems and regular flavor next to each other will they shoot the same targets?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Shield back certainly isn't overrated against bots. There are too many different sources of ragdolling and hit stun.

There's a lot of folks who think it's a sign of a crappy player.

But... I enjoy having the ability to move between cover without getting ragdolled for 45 seconds.

Had a game a couple weeks ago which had a good 60-90 seconds demonstrating how stupid some of the tuning is on bots. I was stuck with a fuckawful pub team who refused to resolve any fight, with the ultimate result that it was impossible to finish mission because they caused a massive number of bots to spawn, ran away every time, and resulted in everybody getting obliterated with nowhere to run.

Anyway, I got killed by random crit bullshit. Respawned and went to grab my gun, which was on the side of large slope. Got the gun, then proceeded to get ragdolled for a looooong time because I had explosion-resistant armor. The rocket blasts could all splash me because of the hill, the blasts would push me up the hill, I would slide back down, stand up, and then just get ragdolled again. But if you've got more than a couple rocket Devs firing at you on a hillside and they stagger their fire, forget it, your day is fucked. I did actually manage to get out of their by using all of my stims, but I had nothing to do with the escape. The rockets simply ragdolled me so far up the hill that I finally fell over some rocky cover and could run off. There was also at least a couple dozen regular bots shooting at me at the same time but they didn't really factor in because the rockets were too violently throwing me around.

The pub teammates did nothing, of course. Between the three of them, they were already split in two completely different directions and failing at whatever they were attempting.

Back in the first few weeks, one of the pug games I played we churned through 17 reinforcements because the others couldn't figure out how to deal with the canon towers. It was maddening. I had to pick up the dude's autocanon and destroy the fucking thing myself. We weren't able to recover the samples when the host was carrying when he charged into the middle of that heavy automaton base, we only had like 4 minutes left and the extract was across the map.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Speaking of mortars if you drop an ems and regular flavor next to each other will they shoot the same targets?

Typically yes. Mortars are great for defense missions.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    They seem to have more or less the same range and and AI, so they tend to. Obviously you can't place them in the exact same spot, so they won't acquire targets at the exact same time, so you an imagine scenarios where they might become unsynced and target different groups for extended periods. But on the whole yeah, EMS and grenade mortars wombo comboing things is pretty reliable and effective.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I got on this morning and did some 7+ for the super samples plus the daily and after every single mission the host quit. Is that a thing again? Are people just doing one mission and then quitting? Frustrating.

tbh I kinda hate that there are chain missions as difficulty goes up. It's a factor on why I generally don't play higher difficulty missions unless it's with friends.

A full chain could very much come close to two hours and for me personally? Nope, fuck that.

Frankly these days it takes a lot for me to play a game I can't pause at will.

And if I can't? 20-30ish minutes is kinda the limit on what I'll get myself into without extenuating circumstances like playing with friends who are cool with me needing to drop out for a sec.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    Host the game and you can return later to finish the operation. It's one of many reasons I nearly always host.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i think progress gets saved even if you quickplay? i dunno medals don't matter to me anymore so i don't pay that much attention

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    i think progress gets saved even if you quickplay? i dunno medals don't matter to me anymore so i don't pay that much attention

The extra medals as the number of missions go up is nice, but the extra contributions to the defend/liberate/whatever is what i really like. It's not that huge of a deal, but i guess i will start hosting from now on as well just to avoid that.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    I have never really liked bugs, in comparison to bots. Most due to the fact that i kept run an AC loadout since it worked so well for bots. But i would get swarmed waaay to often and go down.

Yesterday i ran a flamethrower build for 6
    missions, and today i ran grenade launcher for 6 missions. Both of them really fixed my problems with bugs. But The grenade launcher really did some heavy lifting. The fact i can clear mobs from allies at such range really feels great.

Think i will bounce between the two when doing bugs. Flamethrower is sooo fun, but grenade launcher range makes helping others out soo easy.

Plus ran into a pug that did the base defense mission with no deaths on lvl7, with never having to retreat from the main 2 doors. Free 500kg bombs, plus everyone deploying a sentry made the spawn evaporate.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

The extra medals as the number of missions go up is nice, but the extra contributions to the defend/liberate/whatever is what i really like. It's not that huge of a deal, but i guess i will start hosting from now on as well just to avoid that.

I believe that planet progression is advanced by how much xp is earned.

So it doesn’t really matter if you complete all the missions, each mission is as valuable as the xp earned in it.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I wish at higher levels they would ramp up spawns instead of starting at 100. Helldives challenge now is like 90% surviving the drop where you’re immediately surrounded by multiple groups. Could they maybe give you like a minute or two before it start spawning 5 dropships?

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I wish at higher levels they would ramp up spawns instead of starting at 100. Helldives challenge now is like 90% surviving the drop where you’re immediately surrounded by multiple groups. Could they maybe give you like a minute or two before it start spawning 5 dropships?

Someone’s not using the “Drop your Orbital Barrages and scatter, let the survivors sort it out “ strategy.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    200 kills with the 500kg is a pain in the ass. stun grenades on bug planets makes it feel like i'm making progress but holy cow.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

So it doesn’t really matter if you complete all the missions, each mission is as valuable as the xp earned in it.

As far as I know this theory is totally unconfirmed, just some speculation the people who made the liberation progress tracker website made that was never substantiated.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited May 19
    200 is wayyyy too many for the 500kg
    that bomb is built for hard targets, not area of effect

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    edited May 19

As far as I know this theory is totally unconfirmed, just some speculation the people who made the liberation progress tracker website made that was never substantiated.

It was a CM or dev comment from discord refuting the theory that trivial missions are just as effective as helldive for liberation.

It's true that it hasn't been proven to work this way but there really isnt a way for a player to test for it right?

Rakeeth on
  • Options
    right, so you can say it's a reasonable speculation, but we can't really know for sure

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    The comment was something the lines of, the more objectives you complete the more you contribute. So on easy difficulty you can knock out the main mission, but there won't be any side missions really. On helldiver the missions take longer but you get way more objectives you can do. That made sense to me but i have no idea how accurate it actually is.

• Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    It took me five missions to get that personal order today. stun grenades and bringing my 500s along with the free ones, stunning bug eruptions and dropping on them before they could wake up, getting 10 kills at a time. Tedious. Done now though.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Well this seems like madness. I love the immediate fight. You're fresh out of the hellpod, your strategems are all ready, and if you're doing it right then you dropped straight onto an enemy concentration and came out weapons hot.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Well this seems like madness. I love the immediate fight. You're fresh out of the hellpod, your strategems are all ready, and if you're doing it right then you dropped straight onto an enemy concentration and came out weapons hot.

Love2call down my "kill the entire team off spawn" bombs, that's called excitement in my book. Or I could call down my good support weapon, be killed waiting for it to arrive, and lose access to it for 4 and a half minutes.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Love2call down my "kill the entire team off spawn" bombs, that's called excitement in my book. Or I could call down my good support weapon, be killed waiting for it to arrive, and lose access to it for 4 and a half minutes.

The way to manage hot drops is a: use your safe reds (500kg, ops, basically anything that's not a barrage) b: don't call in support weapons until you get clear, C: everyone breaks in different directions so that someone is certain to get clear

I've hot dropped into a Shrieker nest on Helldive, and it's been chill - the couple of chargers got splattered, the nest got obliterated and by the time the first breach happened I had my Flamethrower ready to go, so that wasn't an issue.

Hot drops are fun as hell

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

The way to manage hot drops is a: use your safe reds (500kg, ops, basically anything that's not a barrage) b: don't call in support weapons until you get clear, C: everyone breaks in different directions so that someone is certain to get clear

I've hot dropped into a Shrieker nest on Helldive, and it's been chill - the couple of chargers got splattered, the nest got obliterated and by the time the first breach happened I had my Flamethrower ready to go, so that wasn't an issue.

Hot drops are fun as hell

Counter argument, literally no attack is safe off spawn because people are disoriented, don't know what the terrain is like around them, and may be directly under attack and fleeing. And you can imagine the chaos if you call in a "safe red" and someone else DID call in their support weapon and gets killed by your attack while waiting. Then reinforced to a different position by someone who does a call-in with no thought put into it, separated from their gear AND support. Even if you don't die from all this, you can easily be in the position of using 3 stims just to not drop dead instantly.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Sure, these are all good reasons why you don't just hot drop without warning your team, and you make sure everyone's on the same page about waiting for an all clear to bring in support weapons.

And like on hell dive, using three stims and/or someone getting friendly fire'd... Average encounter on Helldive tbh. You've got twenty reinforcements for a reason. Players are bullets, they don't do any good unfired

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular

I logged in to see what the Personal was since I had time for a couple missions. Saw that and just logged right back off to play Horizon instead.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    A loooot of solving immediate fights on drop is hosts simply bothering to spend ten damn seconds looking for a good drop point. Even with an obscured map, you can generally pick out a spot to land where the worst you will have to deal with is enemies from POIs. Then you just land, blow the area out with overwhelming firepower as needed, and call down your support weapons after you've either secured the area or fled it for being too hot. Better for a couple players to die and secure the area and then get weapons than everybody spamming their support gear and getting pasted and forced to abandon it.

The hosts that skip right through the drop point selection at diff 7+ genuinely piss me off, a few seconds of picking out a drop point can knock ten minutes off the mission time and possibly even determine if the mission will succeed.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    My friends and I always pick the reddest part of the map to land in. We might die a couple times but the chaos of going in guns blazing is a fun kickoff to the mission. Even if someone calls in a support weapon and dies, we just work our way through the horde until we can collect them.

We're all on the same page about it, though. Wouldn't do it with pubs.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    My experience with picking a "quiet" place on the map to drop in is that it just means you're in range of multiple hostile secondary objectives right away, like mortars, gunships, shriekers, Stalkers, detection towers, etc.

So we'll just drop nearish a main objective or right on the extract now. Or if the map just looks like crap anyway we'll declare YOLO and drop on the reddest red we can see.

But also we don't PUG so that's a big difference.

Steam
  • Options
    edited May 20
    expendable wrote: »
    My experience with picking a "quiet" place on the map to drop in is that it just means you're in range of multiple hostile secondary objectives right away, like mortars, gunships, shriekers, Stalkers, detection towers, etc.

So we'll just drop nearish a main objective or right on the extract now. Or if the map just looks like crap anyway we'll declare YOLO and drop on the reddest red we can see.

But also we don't PUG so that's a big difference.

90% of the time, i'll drop on the extract - It's *usually* calm, and if it's a clusterfuck (Bug nest/Bot fabs)... well, it was going to be a clusterfuck at some point, best get it clear now anyway. And you can drop down a resupply and leave it for later, which is always a pleasant upside. Otherwise, i like dropping on the escape pod if i can, as that's weridly quiet for some reason. My usual goal is to clear the majority of the map before doing the last objective, just becuase of how taking out the last objective seems to kick the anthill with patrol spawns. If there's no objectives for them to spawn from, well, you're in happy land.

I have noticed that since they adjusted how objectives spawn, There's usually a triangle cluster of 3 side objectives. Which can get pretty icky if it's something like double stalker nests or gunship fabs.

...Side note, the Dominator remains a great soloution to Stalkers if you've got steady aim - their heads are incredibly fragile and you can put them down in a couple of rounds each.

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    gunship fab on top of a jammer

• Options
    When did the current major order start? Because if it's a 5 day order the math isn't coming out in the players favor again.

Steam
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »
    When did the current major order start? Because if it's a 5 day order the math isn't coming out in the players favor again.

Saturday I think?

As of this post at 12:30am Eastern, its at 3d, 11 hr (under 1.5 days in) and we're at 37.9%. As long as they focus on POs that are good against bugs I think we can make it.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I accidentally switched from D7 to D8 without realizing it, didn't know it was D8 until the end of the first mission. Ran through the whole set and unlocked Helldive, so that's neat! Absolutely died a lot more than I usually do on D7, but was also fully pulling my weight and landing some really good 500kg bombs on bile titans, etc. Think I'm gonna do D8s mostly now, feels like a good challenge and once it's more comfortable I'll start Helldivin' for real.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah I feel like once you're comfortable playing at 7, you're probably competent playing at 8 or 9 too. Working up the difficulties of like, 4 through 7, every step up felt like a massive increase in difficulty for me, and I was expecting that to continue with 8 and 9. But that 4-7 range I feel like I was constantly having to learn new things; new enemies, new objectives, new threats, new ways to deal with them. But if you're comfortable in 7 you basically understand everything the game can throw at you, there's not really any new surprises in 8 and 9. It's all things you already know how to do, you just have to do them more and faster.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that the global free 500kg are making everything a lot easier right now

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    Yeah I feel like once you're comfortable playing at 7, you're probably competent playing at 8 or 9 too. Working up the difficulties of like, 4 through 7, every step up felt like a massive increase in difficulty for me, and I was expecting that to continue with 8 and 9. But that 4-7 range I feel like I was constantly having to learn new things; new enemies, new objectives, new threats, new ways to deal with them. But if you're comfortable in 7 you basically understand everything the game can throw at you, there's not really any new surprises in 8 and 9. It's all things you already know how to do, you just have to do them more and faster.

Honestly, the only things that keep me from hitting 8-9 more often are a: the double up of negative modifiers (mainly that you get hit with AA defences a lot more often in bots or increased scatter in bugs), and the fact that the effective playerbase takes a massive dive - i just wanna hunt stuff, not wait 5 minutes for my game to fill up.

So i go back to 7s a lot just to get fast games. Also because sometiems i just wanna play without try harding and 7 is nicely challenging to not b e mindless, but easy enough i can get away with a lot more squiffy play.

---

Perfect helldivers comedy moment earlier - asking my team if they're all okay over there, while i;'m holding down extract - they've used multiple reinforces and the fight is still going. Moments after I sent that, i eat enough rockets to pop me up in a perfect arc and break my neck on landing. Just fantastic comedy moment

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Knocked it out on a T1 bug mission in about 20ish minutes playing solo.

The key was throwing the bomb ahead of myself and running through it. Usually got 10-30 kills per bomb as long as I had a horde chasing me.

This was probably abusing the broken spawn rates but meh, it worked :tongue:

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I used my own 500kg as well so I ended up with 4 of them and just recreated the Michael Bay experience on every bug breach >.>