As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Phallakinetic - The New Renegade - IT'S ALL OVER! Hollow Village Victory!

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Pregame alliances mess up faction games real bad.

I feel bad for Edcrab.

Were there any actual pre games running here?

Rend and Burnage admitted to it.

What were the odds they would have the roles they had? Pretty amazing..O_o

Egos on
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    …the Elder

Not the same Elder who was around during the first Renegade's rampage, but you're still good at what you do.

Namely, being the most powerful psychic native to Arcadia. Beyond, perhaps, the New Renegade.

But you think something's amiss. You feel that everything might change should the New Renegade be killed- that something even worse might arise from the ashes.

Faction: Arcadian
    Sub-faction: Psychic
    Attack: 20%
    Life: 150%

Abilities
    Every night you may use one of the following abilities:

Chanelling: You target a player, and double or half the attacks directed towards them.

Energise: You target a player, and double the success rate of the attack or ability that they use that night.

Psi Resistant: You take half damage from psychic attacks, and negative psychic abilities are half as effective when used on you. This is a passive ability, used automatically.

Victory Conditions

Prevent the New Renegade from being killed.

So, the IMPORTANT questions are:

1. Do I win posthumously?
    2. Were my theories about the easy/hard win choice correct?

Houn on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Gumpy wrote: »
    Pregame alliances mess up faction games real bad.

I feel bad for Edcrab.

Were there any actual pre games running here?

Rend and Burnage admitted to it.

No, it wasn't pregame. It was day 1.

Rend on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Houn wrote: »
    …the Elder

Not the same Elder who was around during the first Renegade's rampage, but you're still good at what you do.

Namely, being the most powerful psychic native to Arcadia. Beyond, perhaps, the New Renegade.

But you think something's amiss. You feel that everything might change should the New Renegade be killed- that something even worse might arise from the ashes.

Faction: Arcadian
    Sub-faction: Psychic
    Attack: 20%
    Life: 150%

Abilities

Chanelling: You target a player, and double or half the attacks directed towards them.

Energise: You target a player, and double the success rate of the attack or ability that they use that night.

Psi Resistant: You take half damage from psychic attacks, and negative psychic abilities are half as effective when used on you. This is a passive ability, used automatically.

Victory Conditions

Prevent the New Renegade from being killed.

So, the IMPORTANT questions are:

1. Do I win posthumously?
    2. Were my theories about the easy/hard win choice correct?

Pretty sure you don't win if you are orbiting the planet B]

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    …Quicken

You are Lieutenant-Commander Quicken. You are a potent telekinetic/empath who became host to an incorporeal pandimensional being of quite ludicrous power.

Put simply, you are a semi-mythological figure who is used as a bogeyman to terrorise children into compliance or as a scapegoat for all that is wrong with the psionic communities of Alpha Sector.

But you’re very real, and an awful lot of the stories about you are true. Back when the Renegade was just a rumour, you were already long-established as a thing of nightmares. The entity that shares your mind wishes to spread the wealth- specifically, it wishes to bestow its gifts upon the New Renegade.

Faction: Chaotic
    Sub-faction: Transcendent
    Life: 200%

Abilities
    Every night you may use two of the following abilities:

Horrific Mindscape: If anyone tries to seer you, they go insane. Insanity in this case is a -50% universal penalty that they’re made aware of, but not why it happened. You can also opt to target this ability manually and select a player (as one of your two nightly actions), but doing so means that the passive aspect of this ability will not function on that night. Seer attempts are half as effective when used on you- if they fail, the seer will identify you as “the Lieutenant”, a role that doesn’t actually exist, rather than being informed that they were unsuccessful. This is a psychic ability.

Telekinetic Scourge: A 150%-potency physical attack.

Soul Read: A 150%-potency mindscan.

Victory Conditions

Find and convert the New Renegade. To do this, use Soul Read on them twice.

Doing so will unlock… a new objective.

For those interested

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Op says:

"Unless otherwise stated, you are still capable of winning posthumously."

I'm trying to determine if the NR getting converted constitutes me failing my win condition or not. He's not dead, so I'd think I posthumously win.

Also, Gumpy? Grudged. I had my suspicions about you; would have told the NR to kill you if I hadn't been skating on thin ice already.

Oh, and yes, you're all horrible people. Go back and look; EVERYTHING I said was true, and you almost threw me under the bus. You should feel bad about yourselves for being the immoral, fearful, mistrusting animals you are.
    <3

Houn on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Actually, Zerinan, I totally did narc on Burnage at the last second. At first I felt bad, but then I realized that Rend and Nocturne had approached me privately and Burnage had outed himself in the thread, so I really didn't owe him anything. I still didn't out him in the thread, though, because I didn't want a last second revenge kill.

Also, well-played, Gumpy.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Houn: You won, because your objective was to stop the New Renegade dying. Who knows, maybe they can be redeemed some other time.

And yes, under the right circumstances, there would indeed have been a greater threat.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Woo! Winner! SUCK IT, BITCHES!

Ed, I loved this game, btw. So awesome. Thanks for running it!

Houn on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You wouldn't have said that if I'd said "no, you lost pathetically"!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Edcrab you are a damn fine host

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    You wouldn't have said that if I'd said "no, you lost pathetically"!

Not exactly. I would have loved it slightly less, and indicated as much. But I'd have still thanked you. :D

Houn on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Awesome game btw, even if I was only tangentally involved in the goings on. Would play again.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You'd think I would learn, but no.

Thanks Edcrab, this was a very entertaining game.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would like to know if anyone ever attacked my guardees. I seem to NEVER pick guardees well.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dunedainjedidunedainjedi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh look I finally died. And we won.

I totally lost track of this game yesterday/friday.

dunedainjedi on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Indeed this did live up to being as awesome as the mini. I'm sure Ed is already aware of how much I enjoy his games by my insistence on reserving a spot in this one.

Great mechanics, great original theme, great game.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes, great game, Edcrab. 8-)

My sole complaint is that some of the factions had win conditions that were very difficult to achieve, but c'est la vie.

Burnage on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dumb village is dumb.

amusing to watch though.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    dumb village is dumb.

Unless you were joking here, I don't think you can really say this in faction games. There are too many unseen reasons why people will follow a bandwagon, or not question a leader. It's not necessarily ignorance.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But your being voted out lead to Burnage eventually dying, even if it was for horrible reasons!

Also, obligatory (though very genuine) great game, Edcrab post.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Nocturne wrote: »
    dumb village is dumb.

Unless you were joking here, I don't think you can really say this in faction games. There are too many unseen reasons why people will follow a bandwagon, or not question a leader. It's not necessarily ignorance.

there are conversions in play so lets bandwagon everybody until they reveal!!!!!

yeah, dumb village is dumb.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    dumb village is dumb.

there are conversions in play so lets bandwagon everybody until they reveal!!!!!

yeah, dumb village is dumb.

Yes, and being overly confrontational is super helpful too. Good job.

Anyways, good game edcrab. A main I really enjoyed. And thank you for getting me my first real grudge!

kuhlmeye on
    PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The game was good. The village... Not so much.

Edith Upwards on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Yes, and being overly confrontational is super helpful too. Good job.

I only got about 15 minutes to tell people how completely stupid they were day one after being the 6th or 7th person to be bandwagoned. if you don't like to hear it, you can just plug your ears and scream 'lalalala'.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Phalla, it's serous business.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    …the Renegade

facek.jpg

You are the original Renegade. You are a transdimensional entity of quite ludicrous power: a transmuter, a type of psionor capable of forcing their will upon reality itself. Your body is meaningless, as you have transcended mere flesh- but as of right now, you can think of plentiful reasons to keep the one you have. Regenerating one is a pain in the ass.

You were the catalyst for the psychic genocide on Arcadia fifteen years ago. You didn’t necessarily want that, but you don’t much care for lesser beings anyway. Case in point, the new colonists of Arcadia mean nothing to you, but you have a great deal of interest in this so-called “New” Renegade.

Time to show these amateurs how it’s done. It's been a while.

Sub-faction: Transcendent
    Life: 200%

Abilities

What Cannot Be Unseen: Seer attempts are half as effective when used on you. If they fail, the seer will identify you as the "Original Elder" (a role that doesn't really exist) instead of being told that they were unsuccessful. This is passive ability, used automatically.

Time: All negative effects are delayed by one day when applied to you, and you will be informed of what those effects might be. This is a passive ability, used automatically. Should attack(s) on a night prove fatal, you will be informed that you are due to die the next day- assuming, that is, that nothing protects you from that delayed-reaction harm.

Religion: You select a target and dominate their subconscious. The target is unaware that they’ve been effected, but their abilities all suffer a -100% penalty when used on you (or, potentially, your convert). If the target is attempting to use an ability or attack on you or any other player on the night that you use Religion on their person, then any such abilities or attacks are completely nullified. This is a psychic ability.

NOTE: Using Religion on particular roles may have… interesting results.

Death: This is your favourite. You select a target, and they die. Very few things in this universe can survive being unmade on a molecular level: this counts as a 200%-potency attack. If someone kills you, you cancel the intended targets of any of your other abilities and you automatically kill the player responsible- bypassing any and all forms of defence. You’re just that pissed.

WARNING: If you are killed by the vote, you will kill two randomly selected non-Transcendent players out of sheer spite.

Victory Conditions

Kill three members of the Transcendent sub-faction. Meeting this win condition will remove you from the game.

OR

Convert the New Renegade by targeting them with Religion twice.

Doing so will unlock… a new objective.

Not sure how much more there is for me to say that I haven't already said. I wish this game turned out differently, but I did enjoy watching it.

Great game Edcrab. I really enjoy this setting, and I am very much looking forward to your next game.

Ebfan on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, Edcrab, how did you think the HP system turned out? I know you were considering it after the Mini.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AJAlkaline40AJAlkaline40 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Obbi wrote: »
    our group was pretty smooth sailin', despite the slightly rocky start of losin' Orange Soda.

This is accredited to aznman's key workin' with AJ's group, and SPECTRUM's even rockier start!

Yeah, Burnage pretty much won the game for our team by hooking us up with aznman.

Haha, Toxic, you are so damn unlucky. What you don't know is that Gumpy sent an order to have kuhl killed to aznman, which was passed on to me. However, I fucked it up :P. But because, I fucked it up, as well as our seer that was going to be on kuhl before hand, I decided I might as well just question kuhl myself.

Kuhl, we actually had no idea whether you were chaotic or not, in fact I'm pretty sure Gumpy's seer failed completely. I was totally bluffing :P. However, I did leave our conversation knowing you were SPECTRUM and suspecting that Toxic was as well, which lead into our little ploy the night we killed you all.

All in all, this game, man.

Ed that was beautiful, all of the conflicting roles and different combinations of ways that people could win, the fact that there were so many ways it could've gone, and how so many people with so many roles came right the fuck out of left-field...I swear to god, you left me guessing until the very last night.

I also want to claim my team credit for the village win, as well. Y'all arcadians were a bunch of dumbasses, you had to be saved by a team of Outsides and a team of Chaotics :P. We're pretty directly responsible for removing 7 chaotics from the game single-handedly. Though, to be fair we did have some ridiculously awesome powers.

The one that I think was awesome and we didn't use to it's full capacity was the ability to add text to the narrative. That was cool.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Obbi wrote: »
    our group was pretty smooth sailin', despite the slightly rocky start of losin' Orange Soda.

This is accredited to aznman's key workin' with AJ's group, and SPECTRUM's even rockier start!

Yeah, Burnage pretty much won the game for our team by hooking us up with aznman.

Haha, Toxic, you are so damn unlucky. What you don't know is that Gumpy sent an order to have kuhl killed to aznman, which was passed on to me. However, I fucked it up :P. But because, I fucked it up, as well as our seer that was going to be on kuhl before hand, I decided I might as well just question kuhl myself.

Kuhl, we actually had no idea whether you were chaotic or not, in fact I'm pretty sure Gumpy's seer failed completely. I was totally bluffing :P. However, I did leave our conversation knowing you were SPECTRUM and suspecting that Toxic was as well, which lead into our little ploy the night we killed you all.

All in all, this game, man.

Ed that was beautiful, all of the conflicting roles and different combinations of ways that people could win, the fact that there were so many ways it could've gone, and how so many people with so many roles came right the fuck out of left-field...I swear to god, you left me guessing until the very last night.

I also want to claim my team credit for the village win, as well. Y'all arcadians were a bunch of dumbasses, you had to be saved by a team of Outsides and a team of Chaotics :P. We're pretty directly responsible for removing 7 chaotics from the game single-handedly. Though, to be fair we did have some ridiculously awesome powers.

The one that I think was awesome and we didn't use to it's full capacity was the ability to add text to the narrative. That was cool.

It was even worse. I had a guard ability :P But I got killed....

You guys did great though.

Orange Soda on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Houn: You won, because your objective was to stop the New Renegade dying. Who knows, maybe they can be redeemed some other time.

And yes, under the right circumstances, there would indeed have been a greater threat.

I want to know what would've happened if we didn't annihilate SPECTRUM so handily :P.

Essentially, it the game seemed totally unfair to SPECTRUM. On top of having two full factions with a host of amazing abilities against them, they got screwed by the RNG.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yeah, that was well played AJ. I'll give you credit there.

It did suck for us once Kime died though, as we essentially lost our seer power, since it had to be used in the thread. Would have been kind of a give away if we had used it after his death. Really lost our ability to gain more information about other people out there, and other factions active. :P

Haven't seen it posted, so here's the SPECTRUM role PM:
    …the Special Priority Emergency Crisis Team Response Unit (Mandated)

You are members of SPECTRUM, remnants of several disparate Arcadian departments disbanded in the wake of the psychic genocide 15 years previously. Despite being outlawed, you’ve kept together- and you still control your various secret bases.

Some say you’re crazy. Others say you’re the last hope for the planet.

In truth you’re mandated by no one but yourselves, but that’s not going to stop you freeing Arcadia from the tyranny of… uh… whoever is causing trouble this time.

Sub-faction: Military
    Attack: You each have an Attack of 20%.

Abilities
    The five of you have the following powers to be used between you:

Record Check: You consult the Arcadian database in order to try and identify a player. This is a non-psychic seering method with a 100% success rate, but it can only be used once per night.

Spectrum Cannon: What do you know, someone left antimatter shells in the armoury: a 200%-potency physical attack. This ability could be used multiple times in the same night, but each target would have to be selected by a different SPECTRUM player. This ability can only be used once per player (i.e., five attacks in total, and you will lose an unspent attack if the player that it belongs to dies).

To use the respective powers, one of you most quote a target in the game’s thread, with the response:

Requesting artillery fire at these coordinates.

OR

Requesting background check on this subject.

Once you have done so, PM The Supercomputer with a link to the relevant quote tree. Just so we’re clear:
    Look Supercomputer, here is a linked quote to me quoting Bob and saying the appropriate phrase.

This means we decided to blow him up with one of our precious, precious shells, either because we have issues or because we just like the multicoloured little flashes they make.
    Bob wrote:
    I am posting in the thread, look at how this is a post in the thread, look how clear this is. Also I am a jerk and people will probably want me to die.
    Requesting artillery fire at these coordinates.

Victory Conditions

Outlive the Domarian and High Council factions

OR

Eradicate the Arcadian Military. You're the real defenders of the planet.

We also only got the chance to use 2 of our 5 death cannons.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Here's The Strike Force's role pm:
    ...the Outsider Strike Force

Mercenaries, bounty-hunters... whatever people might call you, you do your job well. You've been contracted by an unknown client to eliminate one of the many threats that's appeared on Arcadia.

Faction: Outsider
    Sub-faction: Military
    Attack: You each have an Attack of 20%.
    Life: Special! You have a shared life bar of 100%. Once this is depleted, you are treated as three seperate entities as normal.

Abilities

AJAlkaline40 is the Doctor: Every night you may Cure a player of all ailments, banishing any negative effects they might have. If you use Cure on a player the night they die, they will stay alive for as long as you use Cure on them. Cure cannot keep players alive if they suffer an attack with a total potency of 100% or higher.

Dac Vin is the Hacker: Every odd-numbered night (night 1, night 3, etc.) you may send a message to the Supercomputer, to be included in the next narration: up to 400 characters with formatting of your choice. In addition, you possess a 100%-strength non-psychic seering method that you may use nightly.

Egos is the Expert: Every night you may select a target and Backstab them- they are hit with a 100%-strength attack. However, Backstab will fail to do anything if the target is either (a) trying to attack or use an ability on the Expert, or (b) if they have the Alertness ability.

Victory Conditions

Kill the five Chaotic Agents of SPECTRUM. Meeting this win condition will remove you from the game.

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So SPECTRUM just had to outlive the High Council, then? Since the HC dying out resulted in the Domarians leaving us.

Darian on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    So SPECTRUM just had to outlive the High Council, then? Since the HC dying out resulted in the Domarians leaving us.

Well, I assume we would have had to kill off the Domarians first, since they left when the HC was dead, and we didn't win.

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    EbfanEbfan Wimmy Wam Wam Wozzle! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So out of curiosity, who was the player or players who attacked me for 400% damage on Day 1?

Ebfan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Alright, this is my last mention of our defeat of SPECTRUM. I'm not trying to rub it in your faces, honest :P. But here are the PMs, I thought I'd share them because I find them rather humorous:

kuhlmeye wrote:
    kuhlmeye wrote:
    Hey, so remember last night? Yeah, those might have been lies, but right now SPECTRUM needs to take chances. Whats all this about mercenaries?

You son of a bitch, I almost believed you too :P.

Anyway, last night one of my teammates, Dac Vin, got a PM from ed including a new ability. Essentially, I think it's a balancing mechanism. Tonight, we PM ed with the names of all the Spectrum members and you PM ed with all the names of our three-man team. When we do, we both receive an "ordinance package", which I assume is a good thing.

Our three members are Egos, Dac Vin, and myself.

Haha. Alright, I'll go with it. Toxic Toys is the other SPECTRUM member. :)

kuhlmeye wrote:
    kuhlmeye wrote:
    kuhlmeye wrote:
    Heh, Arcadian Military my ass :P.

Yes sir! Also, I sent Edcrab the names of your faction.

Awesome.

What's the SPECTRUM win condition, anyway? Perhaps we can work out a continued alliance.

Now that the Domarians have won, we need to outlive the Arcadian Military. Your win condition is to eliminate the Disciples, correct? What is the name of your faction? Also, are you chaotic? Or something else?

We are The Strike Force, we are Military Outsiders and our goal is to eliminate SPECTRUM :P.

Good play

AJAlkaline40 on
    idiot.jpg
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    AJA, ITT you are just reminding him to make extra sure he hunts you down 8)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Don't worry, that has already been noted and stored away in my head.

8-)

kuhlmeye on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, that was pretty damn funny. Poor SPECTRUM.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG