As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flashforward. New show written by writer of Nick Fury and Blade Trinity

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I'm just saying I worked at a place off a highway once where an old guy fell asleep at the wheel while exiting the highway and plowed into the store.. thankfully it was early so no one was there to get injured. I also have personal experience when I blacked out at the wheel once and woke up with a telephone pole snapped in half with the top of it laying on my car caving the roof in. So no, you don't just stop in a straight line. At least not every time.

But yeah.. the amount of crazyness in the show is impossible and is obviously there to make the plot more interesting.

I think I would have used a shot of a group of people climbing stairs, people climbing big sets of steps would have gotten totally fucked up. Show a group of people walking up to the Lincoln memorial or something, or someone leaning over a balcony. Or even a plane in the process of landing. Taxiing planes might be dangerous too, show someone at LAX, then have them wake up as a 747 ploughs into the terminal at like 5 miles per hour.

Most modern autopilots also land planes too actually.

But a 747 plowing through a departure lobby would be cool.

True, but they often don't, have the pilots say "Winds a little high, looks like we'll have to set this one down ourselves"

or

Pilot 1 - "I can't believe LAX lost their low line beacon three weeks in a row, when are they going to get that fixed! Hell, what if it were foggy!"

Pilot 2 - "Foggy, in LA? Be serious Bob, they'll get around to it .... zzzzzz"

BOOM!!!!

Firey doom everywhere.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think that the consequences of sudden fainting aren't going to be addressed outside of the pilot.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think that the consequences of sudden fainting aren't going to be addressed outside of the pilot.

I guess... but I reckon they will be going on and on about the social fallout of all the deaths, that is if they aren't going to ramble on all the time about "We cant change da future!"

tbloxham on
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    One thing I didn't quite get:

Did the little girl have a vision?

When the babysitter checks on her she says she had a bad dream and says something and the music and cut seems to be suggesting that it was a dramatic revelation but as far as I could understand I think she said her show got cancelled or something.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I guess... but I reckon they will be going on and on about the social fallout of all the deaths, that is if they aren't going to ramble on all the time about "We cant change da future!"

I actually think the main reason we won't see too much fallout is because the romantic drama and hackneyed philosophical questions will seem small in comparison.

As for the little girl, she says something like, "I dreamt there would be no more good days," at the end of the episode.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I actually think the main reason we won't see too much fallout is because the romantic drama and hackneyed philosophical questions will seem small in comparison.

As for the little girl, she says something like, "I dreamt there would be no more good days," at the end of the episode.

Right. That's what I heard. The only logical explanation for that statement I could come up with was that she saw a show called Good Days had been cancelled. Otherwise it just sounds too "if not for my horse, I wouldn't have gone to college".

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    First off, a car going 40 can easily flip over in a thousand situations, and traffic goes 2 ways on streets guys.. The majority of people on freeways would have serious injuries and people on city streets would as well. The only people who are saved are the people in really heavy traffic because they're buffered from the front and back.

secondly, surfers who were just paddling out would slump on their boards at first, but believe it or not, some balance is required to keep you in place. Waves will easily make you slide off.

And that hospital was definitely too peaceful. And the wife would have never left.

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Why are surfers more of a concern to your people than just swimmers or people taking baths? Hell, fainting in the shower might kill ya.

Also, dudes on ladders.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why are surfers more of a concern to your people than just swimmers or people taking baths? Hell, fainting in the shower might kill ya.

Also, dudes on ladders.

Perhaps because surfers were rather prominently depicted floating lifeless in the water after emo doc woke up on the pier?

Perhaps.

Ketar on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, so probable deaths

-Planes that weren't on auto-pilot
    -Planes that flew into each other (though I don't think two minutes is long enough for planes that weren't already on a collision course.)
    -Every helicopter in the sky
    -Anybody on stairs or an escalator
    -Anybody undergoing a serious operation
    -People with their cars on cruise control
    -Firemen out on a call
    -Anybody swimming or taking a bath
    -A large number of drivers
    -Any small, manual aircraft
    -A large number of construction workers
    -Anybody who was in the middle of a dangerous activity (parachuting, etc.)

Most of Europe and Asia should be fine as they would've been asleep, but the Americas would've suffered a not insignificant number of casualties. Just because it's an insane event don't go dismissing the possible damage it would inflict in a television show.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Most of Europe and Asia should be fine as they would've been asleep, but the Americas would've suffered a not insignificant number of casualties. Just because it's an insane event don't go dismissing the possible damage it would inflict in a television show.

We're not disputing that a lot of people would die.

We're disputing the fact that he passes out for 3 minutes and suddenly his van is upside down, half the city is on fire, a tanker truck is on the verge of explosion, some guy is crushed by another car somehow on top of his car, his partner who was right next to him is not even in the car but is wandering around outside for some reason, there's a kangaroo wandering around, and Big Ben is on fire for some reasons.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »

We're not disputing that a lot of people would die.

We're disputing the fact that he passes out for 3 minutes and suddenly his van is upside down, half the city is on fire, a tanker truck is on the verge of explosion, some guy is crushed by another car somehow on top of his car, his partner who was right next to him is not even in the car but is wandering around outside for some reason, there's a kangaroo wandering around, and Big Ben is on fire for some reasons.

I assumed a helicopter flew into Big Ben, but for the most part I just thought it was funny that Big Ben, of all things, was on fire.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it deserves mention as well that lots and lots of cars don't go straight if you take your hands off the wheel, due to alignment and/or (even slight) road curvature. My car drifts pretty severely in one direction if I try to take my hands off the wheel (maybe I should take it in :O) So a car with bad alignment and cruise control drifts into another car in an adjacent lane (or an oncoming lane), and the car(s) behind slam into the resulting pile-up... yea, I buy it.

I saw a car once try to dodge a guy drifting into his lane on the highway going about 50 or 60, and he lost control and started swerving back and forth faster and faster; at the height of the severity of the swerving he was up on two wheels and 90 degrees to the flow of traffic, and he hit the concrete divider nose-on. If I had gassed it for all I was worth right at that moment, I could have driven underneath his car as it did a complete aerial barrel roll. The car did another roll on the ground and then spun on its roof like a top down the highway. I stopped when it stopped (along with basically everyone else who was behind the scene) and I saw the guy drag himself out through the window, walk over to the median, and start chain-smoking.

Anyway, obviously the solution to this is to get mythbusters to do a mock-up and see what happens when a highway full of cars has everyone go limp at the wheel simultaneously.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's also not as though your hands come cleanly off the feel and fall to your sides. Almost every driver who got knocked out would pull their car one way or another.

Anyway, I hate shows like this because I can't stand watching a series of weekly cliffhangers, especially when most of them feel vaguely contrived. I tried to enjoy lost and heroes, and pretty quickly got tired of both. I always say that I'll check these shows out once they hit DVD and I can watch them continuously, but I always forget.

Which is too bad because the premise of this show is sort of interesting.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Which is too bad because the premise of this show is sort of interesting.

RJ Sawyer's book is Ok. Give it a try if you wish, the show's premise is entirely lifted from it, even if the structure won't be the same.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "God gave us these visions, they are a gift!"

What about all those people that just died doctor?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    "God gave us these visions, they are a gift!"

What about all those people that just died doctor?

Dirty atheists

Also I enjoyed the pilot and will follow the show for the time being...

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What the hell are you people talking about? Cars do not all slow down at the same speed and they sure as hell don't slow down in some fairy tale perfect straight line when there are no hands on the wheel to control it. Have you ever driven a car before?

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    What the hell are you people talking about? Cars do not all slow down at the same speed and they sure as hell don't slow down in some fairy tale perfect straight line when there are no hands on the wheel to control it. Have you ever driven a car before?

Yes? My car will coast in a more or less straight line if I just let it go.

It is a Toyota though so maybe all your American made cars just have horrible steering.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

It is a Toyota though so maybe all your American made cars just have horrible steering.

2/10. Troll harder.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Every car I've ever driven has slowed down in a predictable straight line if I take my hands off the wheel and foot off the gas. This is with dozens of rental cars worldwide. Remember, this happens to everyone at the same time, even in the worst case situation the car will have lost 10-20 MPH before collision with a car doing similar speed. Highways would be relatively fine, small urban roads with lots of turns would be worst, if they had shown a vaguely busy suburban street at 9 AM, and then woken up with cars littering the lawns then fine.

Oh, and in London you see a helicopter maybe once a day at most, England doesn't have hundreds of news choppers like the US and you saw many buildings on fire.

tbloxham on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    next time, try just letting your arms go limp rather than pulling them off the wheel

I bet you don't go in a straight line

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    VirsoulVirsoul Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think it's funny how little this thread actually talks about the show. I honestly don't see how they can keep it going longer than one season unless there's another incident.

Now, to the 'debate' at hand. Most people who drive don't sit perfectly straight with their hands on the outside of the wheel at 10 and 2. For instance, my car tends to drift a little to the left, so I pretty much drive with one arm most of the time, gripping my hand on the inner part of the wheel. Because of this, I lean on my left arm a little and brace it on the armrest on the door. If I were to instantly pass out I would lean mostly forward and to the left, pushing my arm (and thus my car) rapidly one direction or the other. I also use cruise control, so I would likely seriously injure myself and others.

Virsoul on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I think it's funny how little this thread actually talks about the show. I honestly don't see how they can keep it going longer than one season unless there's another incident.

I'm guessing that they set the date of the incident so soon so they could conclude the story in one season if they had to. If the show's renewed, then another incident foreshadowing events much farther in the future and of greater significance is likely to occur.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two things I don't understand. Firstly, why do people assume that they are going to lift their foot off the gas when they pass out. A guy in our area died of a heart attack while driving his truck in a parking lot. The truck ( which was traveling slowly initially ) accelerated quickly and drove on top of the compact car that was parked ~40 feet ahead and to the right. Secondly, how in the hell does the Eiffel tower burn perfectly uniformly?

stigweard on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This show seems like an interesting concept (though I haven't gotten around to reading the book and can't say I'm that motivated given the author), but the execution seemed pretty lackluster to me. The acting and writing just felt sloppy, though maybe it'll even out given time.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    stigweard wrote: »
    Two things I don't understand. Firstly, why do people assume that they are going to lift their foot off the gas when they pass out. A guy in our area died of a heart attack while driving his truck in a parking lot. The truck ( which was traveling slowly initially ) accelerated quickly and drove on top of the compact car that was parked ~40 feet ahead and to the right.

The peddle exerts pressure on your foot. To keep your foot on the gas, you need to press down on it. If you pass out and your body goes limp, you will not be doing this and the peddle will return to the neutral position.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Two things I don't understand. Firstly, why do people assume that they are going to lift their foot off the gas when they pass out. A guy in our area died of a heart attack while driving his truck in a parking lot. The truck ( which was traveling slowly initially ) accelerated quickly and drove on top of the compact car that was parked ~40 feet ahead and to the right.

The peddle exerts pressure on your foot. To keep your foot on the gas, you need to press down on it. If you pass out and your body goes limp, you will not be doing this and the peddle will return to the neutral position.

Pedals have different amounts of springiness, people and feet are different sizes, people sit at different distances to the pedal, people do not uniformly go limp when they lose consciousness, and as pointed out already this has happened to people in real life before so what the hell are you arguing with?

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Adrien wrote: »

Pedals have different amounts of springiness, people and feet are different sizes, people sit at different distances to the pedal, people do not uniformly go limp when they lose consciousness, and as pointed out already this has happened to people in real life before so what the hell are you arguing with?

We see all the people going limp during the flashforward on the tape at the end. This would suggest that everyone uniformly went limp during the flashforward.

But seriously, we should get Mythbusters on this.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    This show seems like an interesting concept (though I haven't gotten around to reading the book and can't say I'm that motivated given the author), but the execution seemed pretty lackluster to me. The acting and writing just felt sloppy, though maybe it'll even out given time.
    Yeah, I was expecting more from the pilot for a series that wants to be Lost. But, I didn't like T:SCC at first cuz of the pilot, so I'll give this one more episode.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The episode felt extremely rushed. A two hour pilot or even possibly spreading it across three eps could have still held a good pace and actually developped the characters and helped to smooth over much of the rough edges.

stigweard on
  • Options
    zychizychi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You all realize it's a show about drama, right? It's not Dexter or Lost where a murderer walks around town all day as a blood cop. Or a plane crashing on a jumping island.

It's television, suspend your belief.

zychi on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm vaguely interested in where this is going. I'm glad they're actually going to be investigating the phenomenon itself. Not especially interested in what's likely to be hours of "CAN I CHANGE THIS?!?!" that's probably coming.

Quid on
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    I'm vaguely interested in where this is going. I'm glad they're actually going to be investigating the phenomenon itself. Not especially interested in what's likely to be hours of "CAN I CHANGE THIS?!?!" that's probably coming.

In universe, that should take all of 5 minutes to figure out.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Technically they can't verify it for six months, since they have no idea what will transpire between now and then.

Technically.

Quid on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Technically they can't verify it for six months, since they have no idea what will transpire between now and then.

Technically.

Sure you can.

I mean, your kid could make another friendship bracelet, some dude could assault you on the street and forcefully apply cutting edge laser surgery to remove your newly acquired tattoo, but there's a fail safe way to determine whether it's possible to change the future. If you were with someone six months in the future, shoot that person in the face. Or burn down the building you were in.

In fact, I think you can shoot anyone who had a vision, if you're sure he or she wasn't lying.

If it works, you'll have proven a point or someone will invent resurrection technology within six months. And if it doesn't work, you are effectively indestructible for those six months. There is no downside to this method! And two out of three results end really well. It's totally worth the risk.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I was sort of ruling out the killing someone since I doubt there's no official study that would do so. The building one is what immediately came to mind, but again it'd require the government (Or a private agency) destroying a building that can't possibly be rebuilt in six months.

Which isn't that crazy given the scope of disaster, but I'd understand the hesitation in buying a building just to destroy it when the economy's likely suffering pretty bad too.

Quid on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I watched the show on hulu and it looked like it could have some promise or it could go horribly awry because the most exciting part happened in the first episode. I'll give it at least 1 or 2 more episodes.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like how people are already arguing about all this stupid bs.

So if someone blacks out, the car just goes straight and stops? What if they fall FORWARD and their hands move the will when they pass out. Or if their head hits it and makes it move?

Oh and the car just coasts to a stop? What if they had just been slamming on the breaks? What if they use cruise control 100% of the time on main roads and highways?

Can you guys just accept the fact that if this were to happen, there would be some crazy crashes and people would be killed, without arguing the stupid aspects of how they had to precisely let go of the wheel and stupid point you deem necessary?

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    To be fair, my post, which sparked this whole discussion, was about how all the crazy accidents were almost entirely forgotten in the second half of this episode. The hospital was fucking empty.

They are almost certainly going to focus on the character's inner lives rather than the impact the flash forward had on society.

TeaSpoon on