As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The games you love, bugs and all.

SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Games and Technology
A few days ago I remembered that (A) I still had Oblivion installed on my computer despite that I've been chucking shit left and right to make room, and (B) that I had shit I'd downloaded for it that I hadn't yet gotten into. So here I've been for the last few days going along and doin' my stuff, and the going's been pretty good.

'cept for, you know, the resource hogging.

The horrible, horrible, oh-god-why-haven't-they-fixed-this-yet resource hogging.

I must say, though, that considering just how bad Oblivion can get at times - as in by itself eating up 70% of my RAM and CPU once it's been going for a good long while, and the five minute deflation period after quitting that's like a digital cold-turkey drug withdrawl run into a straight wall - it really puts in perspective just how much Bethesda shaped up their programming when they went over to Fallout. I load FO3 up, and it's smooth sailing until I hit the loaded-with-incredible-amounts-of-resource-consuming-crap wide open countryside (which ALWAYS seems to be Beth's problem with these sorts of games) and even then the crash is nice, clean, and quick and I can hop right back in. Play Oblivion for too long, though, and eventually it dumps you out so your PC can have a five-minute timeout.

But even with all that shit, I can't help but love the game, it and its power-gaming, female-objectifying, grammar-defying, voicework-facedesking diamonds-in-a-sea-of-shit mods - and hell, if they made such good progress working on FO3, I can't wait to see what they'll give us for Elder Scrolls V.

So let's talk about these sorts of games: the kind that sleight you and annoy you and frustrate you in so many ways because some shoddy coding got through the betatesting (or lack thereof) but that you just can't help but love.[/o]

Sorenson on

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    booty160.gif

Yeah... I am not ashamed.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tomb Raiders III. The Last Revelation, Chronicles and The Angel of Darkness

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SiN

It was bug ridden because of its rush to beat half-life, but god damn it, it was good.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colon. I never even bothered getting the fan-made patch that supposedly fixed some of the gamebreaking problems in it and I still loved every buggy second of it.

Trevor on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would think game breaking bugs would either make a game unlovable, or unplayable so that no one could love the game.

I guess I really liked Broken Sword for the GBA until I hit the game breaking bug.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    <3 Trokia, and to a lesser extent obsidian.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Quest for Glory 4 and 5.

devoir on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I would think game breaking bugs would either make a game unlovable, or unplayable so that no one could love the game.

I guess I really liked Broken Sword for the GBA until I hit the game breaking bug.

You would be wrong to think that.

Fable doesn't contain any game-breaking bugs to my knowledge, but the balancing is completely off, and it's really easy to become unstoppable. I still love the game to death.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Basically every game that Troika made.

I also unashamedly love KotoR II, despite the terrible game balance, cut content and non existent ending. I also still rate it as a better game than it's prequel.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Fable doesn't contain any game-breaking bugs to my knowledge, but the balancing is completely off, and it's really easy to become unstoppable. I still love the game to death.

Fable 1? If you cheated to get renown it could cause some major problems IIRC, and the Lost Chapters was bugged all to hell.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Fable 1? If you cheated to get renown it could cause some major problems IIRC, and the Lost Chapters was bugged all to hell.

I don't know about the Renown glitch, but even without it, the game is stupidly easy to abuse. Slow Time + Multi-Strike = guaranteed win.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fallout 3 is kinda' the poster child for this.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stalker, the most fun you'll every have in a post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with game breaking and BSOD causing bugs and zombie mutants. Yes, even more so than Fallout 3.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trespasser. That's fuckin' right, I love Trespasser and it's ambition, and the feeling that deep, deep (deep) down, there's a genuinely fantastic, innovative piece of work. It just feels like it was a labor of love, pushed out before it was really ready.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Battlecruiser 3000AD
    I kid!

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Big Rigs. It wouldn't be entertaining at all without those horrible, terrible bugs. I refuse to download the patch.

Gilder on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Isn't that the one where there's no hit detection?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fallout 3 and yeah

Big Rigs

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Trevor wrote: »
    Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines: Colon. I never even bothered getting the fan-made patch that supposedly fixed some of the gamebreaking problems in it and I still loved every buggy second of it.
    I think it's officially Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines: Colons - Hyphens. I could be wrong, though. Either way, I also love it. Other broken games I'm drawn to include KotOR 2, the STALKERs, and Dark Sector. All for reasons already expressed in this thread and many others.
    Trespasser. That's fuckin' right, I love Trespasser and it's ambition, and the feeling that deep, deep (deep) down, there's a genuinely fantastic, innovative piece of work. It just feels like it was a labor of love, pushed out before it was really ready.
    Trespasser I loved in concept (and parts of the execution) as well, but goddamn was that a shoddy product. If you want the scoop on what went down throughout development, there's a great postmortem here.

Monger on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Fallout 3 and yeah

Big Rigs

It's truly a wondrous thing to behold. The first time you experience 8000 MPH in reverse is something that can't be described. It has to be experienced.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Taramoor wrote: »
    booty160.gif

hahaha, oh man, last time someone posted that gif, I mentioned that it should play again in reverse so she just shakes her booty back and forth forever

then someone made it and pmd it to me and I saved it to have it forever and ever

Edit: it was Blain. Blain is awesome.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    booty160.gif

hahaha, oh man, last time someone posted that gif, I mentioned that it should play again in reverse so she just shakes her booty back and forth forever

then someone made it and pmd it to me and I saved it to have it forever and ever

Edit: it was Blain. Blain is awesome.

So post it then? :winky: :P

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    i want to play call of cthulu, dark corners of the earth but those DARN BUGS! Can't even run on 2 of my computers.

i havent played it but i'm sure that i would really like it if i did.

Push Button / Receive Cat on
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    booty160.gif

Ug, I tried to play that game a few times and couldn't keep playing it.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is it just me or are most of the greatest games out there (on the PC side at least) also among the buggiest?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Minor imperfections instill love in the eye of the beholder.

devoir on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PN 03 is a fun game once you realize it's actually a top down shooter.

It's really shitty if you try playing it like a 3D action game.

FF VI on the SNES and SFC has some rude bugs and is the best in the series.

Like being able to equip a drill as a hat.

Or the evade stat being worthless.

Or the death immune flag being turned off by vanish...

or using status to keep Terra in esper form forever...

or rippler. Oh god rippler.

Or hell, Relm Sketch.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Blitz: The League II

One of the most fun football games I have ever played. It's also horribly, horribly buggy, but I can easily overlook that and enjoy it.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This is pretty much Obsidian's MO. Good ideas held down by the fact that they're bad at making videogames. And critical acclaim.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    TheManiac_614TheManiac_614 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Digimon World.

TheManiac_614 on
    halolz-dot-com-worldofwarcraft-nogirlfriendchart.gif
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Haha, I love that Big Rigs video.

As for me, Fallout 3 is an obvious choice. I remember back when they were announcing Anchorage, there was an entire list of bugs that a patch was supposed to fix. I don't know what was worse - the enormous size of the list, the fact that there were glitches on the list I hadn't encountered, or the fact that there were glitches I had encountered that weren't on the list.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    DigitalismDigitalism Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Stalker, the most fun you'll every have in a post-apocalyptic wasteland filled with game breaking and BSOD causing bugs and zombie mutants. Yes, even more so than Fallout 3.

This, a thousand times this. I remember on my very first playthrough of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I was near the end in Pripyat but my game kept crashing every 2 minutes. So cue me trying to run past a million monolith soldiers, bloodsuckers, burers and controllers as I try to reach the NPP without the game crashing.

But god that game was great. Let's hope Call of Pripyat is just as good.

Digitalism on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    - All of Troika's games
    - Anachronox
    - Fallout 2
    - KOTOR 2

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    FF VI on the SNES and SFC has some rude bugs and is the best in the series.

Or hell, Relm Sketch.

Yeah....

I routinely sketched someone in one battle and the game went completely berserk. Sprites constantly changing to weird shit, like esper form Terra and general leo. Messed up menus, and when I left the battle, it had blown up my illumina sword, given me an Excalibur and 10 dirks. I loaded.

In any event, Fallout 2. The bugs are practically features.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dark Messiah of Might & Magic is a great game despite its tendency to crash.

Peewi on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    booty160.gif

animatedsig3.gif

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of stalker and V:TM:B, how are they in windows 7?

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Fallout 3 and yeah

Big Rigs

Oh. My. God. I mean, ... just, wow. I feel like that almost has to be a joke. They can't release games that bad, can they?

datac0re on
  • Options
    Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yep, definitely STALKER. I love that game so much but the amount of bugs is ridiculous for some people.

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
This discussion has been closed.