As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii 4.3 Update out, just removes homebrew

• Options
    FubearFubear Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Really?

I wish there were numbers to either affirm or refute that. I really would like numbers that give a conclusion.

Potential piracy on the Wii (or Xbox360 or DS or PSP) costs $XXX per customer (in the US, in China, etc.) that pirates.

$0.10 per disc + average cost of piracy (however you would measure that, by either profit or loss or breaking even)
    VS
    replacement of hardware + shipping

Fubear on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    It would be stupidly easy for pirates to just burn a second disc with the downgrader and ship it with their burned copies of games because the earlier firmwares have a bug that allows them to print unlicensed games/copies of games.

Versus just fixing the broken Wiis that pirates cannot do this with.

The first situation leaves 100% of the consoles wide open, the other method leaves <100%

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Re Fubear's 'rollback disc with every console' idea:

The problem with that, though, is that it defeats the point entirely. As soon as one weakness is found in the initial firmware, it's over. As many updates as you push through, you supplied the pirates with a means to undo your fixes and keep doing whatever they want.

There's nothing wrong with the system we have now. It's vastly better than anything we had before where you had different firmwares only becoming available with newer systems.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The homebrewers already have more brick protection than the average joe. One of the first things you do is backup your original state.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wii Shop Channel is saying there's a new system update. I am not going to install it right now, just going to update the Shop Channel to see what is new.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ttienttien Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Hi all, although Nintendo had an original message up that said it would fix broken consoles for free, it looks like the message changed to a message that states that Nintendo has the discretion to decide whether your system has been modified, i.e. whether it's your fault that the update bricked your console.

For those of you whose consoles have suffered malfunction or have concerns about this issue, Finkelstein Thompson LLP is a law firm that represents consumers who have been harmed by unfair business practices. We are currently investigating claims the Nintendo Wii update issue and investigating whether the update bricked unmodified systems or if Nintendo should fix bricked systems even if they have been modified.

If you have installed Nintendo update 4.2 on your Wii and it bricked your console and you wish to discuss your rights and interests in this matter, please contact us toll-free at (877) 800-1450 or by email at contact@finkelsteinthompson.com. This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it Responding to this advertisement does not, by itself, create an attorney-client relationship between you and Finkelstein Thompson LLP.

Best,
    Tracy Tien

ttien on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ttien wrote: »
    Hi all, although Nintendo had an original message up that said it would fix broken consoles for free, it looks like the message changed to a message that states that Nintendo has the discretion to decide whether your system has been modified, i.e. whether it's your fault that the update bricked your console.

For those of you whose consoles have suffered malfunction or have concerns about this issue, Finkelstein Thompson LLP is a law firm that represents consumers who have been harmed by unfair business practices. We are currently investigating claims the Nintendo Wii update issue and investigating whether the update bricked unmodified systems or if Nintendo should fix bricked systems even if they have been modified.

If you have installed Nintendo update 4.2 on your Wii and it bricked your console and you wish to discuss your rights and interests in this matter, please contact us toll-free at (877) 800-1450 or by email at contact@finkelsteinthompson.com. This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it Responding to this advertisement does not, by itself, create an attorney-client relationship between you and Finkelstein Thompson LLP.

Best,
    Tracy Tien

What cut is F&T expecting to take from the settlement?

Evander on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ttien wrote: »

Best,
    Tracy Tien

Meh, you're probably one of those firms that also represent thieves who hurt themselves while trying to rob a joint. Gotta love our judicial system.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, as long as this thread is back I'll post the latest hackmii update
    I keep getting questions along the lines of “should I update to 4.2? Are you guys going to make a ’safe boot2 updater’?” (The answer is ‘no’, but keep reading.)

Somewhere in the noise about this most recent update the point I was trying to make got lost. Let me recap the facts:

The most recent system update was the largest update ever done — 32 titles were added or updated, and each system downloaded approximately 50MB of data.
    A certain firmware graybeard tells me that, on average, 1 in 1000 updates (of any software, on any system) will fail.
    The Wii performs updates atomically on a per-title basis. What this means is that the system menu downloads each title from the Nintendo Update Server and feeds the data directly to IOS/ES. As each chunk of data for a given title is downloaded, IOS writes it into /import, and then once the entire title has finished downloading, it renames the files in /import to overwrite the older version of the title (in one step, “atomically”). That rename step probably only takes a second or two for each title.
    Contrary to Nintendo’s claims, an update will not start over from the beginning if interrupted. Rather, the updates will be downloaded and installed in this order: boot2, IOS of the new system menu, a new system menu, and then everything else. If the update is interrupted after (for example) the IOS is installed but before the System Menu has finished downloading, the partially downloaded System Menu will be deleted upon the next reboot. You will still be told “an update is available”, and it will restart the update — but since it won’t reinstall the same version of something that’s already there, it will skip over boot2 and the IOS and restart downloading the system menu.
    Any failed update on three of those pieces (boot2, system menu, IOS) will cause the system to irreparably brick.
    Any failed update on another part of the system (for example, another IOS) could either cause strange behavior (certain games won’t launch) or could cause the system to brick (if it damaged the filesystem in NAND).
    As far as updating boot2 goes:

The 1-in-1000 number applies to boot2, although there are some protection mechanisms in place to try to mitigate that risk. There are two separate copies of boot2 stored in flash, and if one is corrupted, it will try to boot the other — this is the only real “safety mechanism” in the entire device.
    The boot2 update code is completely separate from any other update code, and has never been used before on any retail Wiis. That does not mean it’s necessarily broken or buggy, just that it has been nearly as well-tested as any of the other updater code.
    During the development of BootMii/the HackMii Installer, I ran into a bug where the ECC data was not always written when writing boot2. Let me be clear here — this is not a huge bug. It only applies to the boot2-area blockmap page, and when it happens, the effect is generally harmless — if there is a bit error in that page, it will not be detected or corrected, but there are three copies of that data in that page and boot1 will choose the best 2 out of 3. (The only real indication you will see of this is if you find the message “Ninty forgot to write spare data for page xxx” in your installer.log file after installing BootMii/boot2.) I don’t really think this will cause a system to get bricked, but it’s evidence that the code has not been thoroughly tested.
    Our boot2 updater code presumably carries the same 1-in-1000 risk of failure, but a failure there will still allow at least one of the two old copies of boot2 to work. (We do something mildly clever there to avoid overwriting each copy, and to prevent problems with BC/MIOS.)
    There is no benefit or pitfall to installing boot2v4, other than the fact that if you don’t install it, it will keep trying to install it whenever you update, and if you had BootMii/boot2 installed, it will overwrite it.
    Various employees of Nintendo — from lowly tech support staff and forum moderators to executives — have made the claim that “most of the bricked systems were a result of other modifications to the system.” This is a lie, and I’m disappointed in Nintendo for trying to make this claim. It’s not supported by evidence — how could they possibly get that kind of statistic? (There hasn’t been time for them to get bricked units back and do much analysis, and even in the case where they do have a bricked console in their hands, there’s nothing they can do to see whether it was modified or not.) It’s not supported by logic, either — the reason why this update “kills homebrew” is because it overwrites EVERYTHING, but the same is true for unmodified Wiis. It’s not even supported anecdotally — there were comments on Nintendo’s official Tech Forums from people who had bought a new Wii that day and had it brick the first time they did their connection test and system update.

If we were to write a boot2 installer, there’s no guarantee that it would be any safer than Nintendo’s. We sincerely believe it to be safe — we’ve tested it as much as we possibly can, we have an unreasonable number of safety checks in there, and I have yet to hear of a single case of bricking in somewhere between 10-20,000 installs — but then again, I’m sure Nintendo feels the same way about their code.

The distinction here is a more subtle than “whose code is buggier”. When you run the HackMii installer and install anything we’ve written, you are taking some risk. The difference here is that

For the (say) 20,000 people that run the HackMii installer, each one of them has done so deliberately and with some goal in mind — tinkering with their system, playing homebrew games, whatever. In the case of BootMii/boot2, we even give you a strong defense against bricking your console through updates (oh, the irony). If you run into problems, you can be mad at us, you can be mad at yourselves, but at the end of the day, you took a calculated risk.
    For the 55 million people who own Wiis but did not run the HackMii Installer — yet are forced to update anyway — they run the risk of bricking with no tangible benefit to them whatsoever, and no choice in the matter.
    If we take this 1-in-1000 statistic of failed updates, and say that 1-in-100 of those failed updates will result in a bricked system, and then extrapolate that over the top two groups — you end up with maybe one or two homebrew-running people with bricked Wiis, and 550 unmodified, bricked Wiis. If you have one of those, go to Nintendo and ask them to fix it for free. If you haven’t updated, there’s no good reason to — other than to stop it nagging at you to update. If you do feel compelled to update, your chances of running into problems are no better and no worse than anyone else’s, and they wouldn’t be much different if we wrote the update code instead of Nintendo.

This is the reason why it’s a big deal when anyone releases a bootloader update — it’s inherently risky, and for most people, it’s not worth the risk.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Depends on the jurisdiction and the cause of action being brought.

Assuming a consumer action, it depends a lot on the state. Some cases have consumer protection acts that should the consumer win the case, the other side has to pay the attorney's fees of the plaintiff.

If it's a class action, the attorneys get a % cut of the award.

slash000 on
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The guy who made the Homebrew Channel posted about the issue of the boot thingy yesterday:
    I keep getting questions along the lines of “should I update to 4.2? Are you guys going to make a ’safe boot2 updater’?” (The answer is ‘no’, but keep reading.)

Somewhere in the noise about this most recent update the point I was trying to make got lost. Let me recap the facts:
    The most recent system update was the largest update ever done — 32 titles were added or updated, and each system downloaded approximately 50MB of data.
    A certain firmware graybeard tells me that, on average, 1 in 1000 updates (of any software, on any system) will fail.
    The Wii performs updates atomically on a per-title basis. What this means is that the system menu downloads each title from the Nintendo Update Server and feeds the data directly to IOS/ES. As each chunk of data for a given title is downloaded, IOS writes it into /import, and then once the entire title has finished downloading, it renames the files in /import to overwrite the older version of the title (in one step, “atomically”). That rename step probably only takes a second or two for each title.
    Contrary to Nintendo’s claims, an update will not start over from the beginning if interrupted. Rather, the updates will be downloaded and installed in this order: boot2, IOS of the new system menu, a new system menu, and then everything else. If the update is interrupted after (for example) the IOS is installed but before the System Menu has finished downloading, the partially downloaded System Menu will be deleted upon the next reboot. You will still be told “an update is available”, and it will restart the update — but since it won’t reinstall the same version of something that’s already there, it will skip over boot2 and the IOS and restart downloading the system menu.
    Any failed update on three of those pieces (boot2, system menu, IOS) will cause the system to irreparably brick.
    Any failed update on another part of the system (for example, another IOS) could either cause strange behavior (certain games won’t launch) or could cause the system to brick (if it damaged the filesystem in NAND).

As far as updating boot2 goes:
    The 1-in-1000 number applies to boot2, although there are some protection mechanisms in place to try to mitigate that risk. There are two separate copies of boot2 stored in flash, and if one is corrupted, it will try to boot the other — this is the only real “safety mechanism” in the entire device.
    The boot2 update code is completely separate from any other update code, and has never been used before on any retail Wiis. That does not mean it’s necessarily broken or buggy, just that it has been nearly as well-tested as any of the other updater code.
    During the development of BootMii/the HackMii Installer, I ran into a bug where the ECC data was not always written when writing boot2. Let me be clear here — this is not a huge bug. It only applies to the boot2-area blockmap page, and when it happens, the effect is generally harmless — if there is a bit error in that page, it will not be detected or corrected, but there are three copies of that data in that page and boot1 will choose the best 2 out of 3. (The only real indication you will see of this is if you find the message “Ninty forgot to write spare data for page xxx” in your installer.log file after installing BootMii/boot2.) I don’t really think this will cause a system to get bricked, but it’s evidence that the code has not been thoroughly tested.
    Our boot2 updater code presumably carries the same 1-in-1000 risk of failure, but a failure there will still allow at least one of the two old copies of boot2 to work. (We do something mildly clever there to avoid overwriting each copy, and to prevent problems with BC/MIOS.)
    There is no benefit or pitfall to installing boot2v4, other than the fact that if you don’t install it, it will keep trying to install it whenever you update, and if you had BootMii/boot2 installed, it will overwrite it.

Various employees of Nintendo — from lowly tech support staff and forum moderators to executives — have made the claim that “most of the bricked systems were a result of other modifications to the system.” This is a lie, and I’m disappointed in Nintendo for trying to make this claim. It’s not supported by evidence — how could they possibly get that kind of statistic? (There hasn’t been time for them to get bricked units back and do much analysis, and even in the case where they do have a bricked console in their hands, there’s nothing they can do to see whether it was modified or not.) It’s not supported by logic, either — the reason why this update “kills homebrew” is because it overwrites EVERYTHING, but the same is true for unmodified Wiis. It’s not even supported anecdotally — there were comments on Nintendo’s official Tech Forums from people who had bought a new Wii that day and had it brick the first time they did their connection test and system update.

If we were to write a boot2 installer, there’s no guarantee that it would be any safer than Nintendo’s. We sincerely believe it to be safe — we’ve tested it as much as we possibly can, we have an unreasonable number of safety checks in there, and I have yet to hear of a single case of bricking in somewhere between 10-20,000 installs — but then again, I’m sure Nintendo feels the same way about their code.

The distinction here is a more subtle than “whose code is buggier”. When you run the HackMii installer and install anything we’ve written, you are taking some risk. The difference here is that
    For the (say) 20,000 people that run the HackMii installer, each one of them has done so deliberately and with some goal in mind — tinkering with their system, playing homebrew games, whatever. In the case of BootMii/boot2, we even give you a strong defense against bricking your console through updates (oh, the irony). If you run into problems, you can be mad at us, you can be mad at yourselves, but at the end of the day, you took a calculated risk.
    For the 55 million people who own Wiis but did not run the HackMii Installer — yet are forced to update anyway — they run the risk of bricking with no tangible benefit to them whatsoever, and no choice in the matter.

If we take this 1-in-1000 statistic of failed updates, and say that 1-in-100 of those failed updates will result in a bricked system, and then extrapolate that over the top two groups — you end up with maybe one or two homebrew-running people with bricked Wiis, and 550 unmodified, bricked Wiis. If you have one of those, go to Nintendo and ask them to fix it for free. If you haven’t updated, there’s no good reason to — other than to stop it nagging at you to update. If you do feel compelled to update, your chances of running into problems are no better and no worse than anyone else’s, and they wouldn’t be much different if we wrote the update code instead of Nintendo.

This is the reason why it’s a big deal when anyone releases a bootloader update — it’s inherently risky, and for most people, it’s not worth the risk.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    slash000 wrote: »

Assuming a consumer action, it depends a lot on the state. Some cases have consumer protection acts that should the consumer win the case, the other side has to pay the attorney's fees of the plaintiff.

It was meant as rhetorical.

My point was that the post, while trying to appear to be made our of concern, was actually just an advertisement for a service.

Evander on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Since this thread is alive again, I'll mention that I've been rocking WiiFlow and it's awesome. I'm currently using an 8GB flashdrive until I can get a full on hard drive, but it works great. I'm amazed at how small some games are after they're ripped from the DVD. Some are like 200MB.

Sir Carcass on
  • Options
    AkatsukiAkatsuki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

My point was that the post, while trying to appear to be made our of concern, was actually just an advertisement for a service.

It was also pretty funny. I actually laughed.
    I need to inform myself, I don't have time to play a lot right now, but eventually I'll want to go to the store and I'll need to update. Gah. Which means I'll need to see if I need to install something and whatnot. That's troublesome.

Akatsuki on
    Preacher wrote:
    ...my inner weaboo can kawaii all over this desu.

Pokémon HGSS: 1205 1613 4041
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I see.

I'll add that it's not only an "advertisement," but also a way to try and gauge the case.

slash000 on
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had a hunger for the Wii Shop Channel after seeing the Castlevania Rebirth videos, plus I also planned to finally pick up Contra Rebirth. But I had installed the Homebrew Channel and BootMii so I was a little worried. Took the plunge and managed to fall in the larger statistical pool of safety!

Of course after this point I had a resolve to not install any homebrew whatsoever, thinking that would help reduce my paranoia levels for the next update (whether or not that would help remains to be seen). That lasted about an hour or so, the Homebrew Channel is already re-installed on my Wii. It's true, I'm weak!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had a hunger for the Wii Shop Channel after seeing the Castlevania Rebirth videos, plus I also planned to finally pick up Contra Rebirth. But I had installed the Homebrew Channel and BootMii so I was a little worried. Took the plunge and managed to fall in the larger statistical pool of safety!

Of course after this point I had a resolve to not install any homebrew whatsoever, thinking that would help reduce my paranoia levels for the next update (whether or not that would help remains to be seen). That lasted about an hour or so, the Homebrew Channel is already re-installed on my Wii. It's true, I'm weak!

Yeah I had my Wii updated to get my free Nintendo Title from buying the Internet Channel many moons ago. Just updated my Homebrew Channel to fit with 4.2 and updated and I found nothing to be wrong with my Wii so far. Have the Gecko OS installed to play imported games and that runs just fine as well. No more worries for me. :)

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nintendo shouldn't have to replace modified Wiis. What the hell.

I hope if you try to take that shit to court you lose. Hard.

edit: after checking their website they seem to be one of those firms that basically class actions against any news story, collects most of the proceeds, and then sends everyone a check for 40 cents.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You know, there is a way to update just the Shop Channel and not touch anything else. I can access it just fine and I'm on 4.1.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Nintendo shouldn't have to replace modified Wiis. What the hell.

Well, I sort of agree, and sort of don't.

On the one hand, as soon as you run any unlicensed code on your Wii, you sorta should accept that you are voiding your warranty.

However, this update has been bricking consoles regardless of whether they have homebrew installed, so I suppose in theory, your console would have bricked regardless of whether you had homebrew installed.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well, installing the code first voids the warranty in my book

so it's kind of irrelevant on what bricked it afterwards. Companies can't fix everything because then they'd be liable for too many things. It's why when you call them up, you always say it's first party controllers and so on plugged into it :P

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Riokenn wrote: »

Yeah I had my Wii updated to get my free Nintendo Title from buying the Internet Channel many moons ago. Just updated my Homebrew Channel to fit with 4.2 and updated and I found nothing to be wrong with my Wii so far. Have the Gecko OS installed to play imported games and that runs just fine as well. No more worries for me. :)

So if you have BootMii and the Homebrew channel, you just run the regular update from Nintendo? Assuming I'm not one of the rare people that would get a bricked system, it should just update, and leave me with a system lacking the homebrew features/applications? At which point I can then reinstall those if I choose?

I'm tempted to do this. In the unlikely event I do get a bricked system, how would Nintendo know it's been modified? Have there been any cases when someone has sent it in and they actually checked? Or would they just send a new system after they get mine and throw it in a recycle bin?

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited November 2009

I see.

I'll add that it's not only an "advertisement," but also a way to try and gauge the case.

In order to make money.

My point is that it is a post intended to make the poster money. If they want to do that in here, I'm sure they can buy ad space from M&J(&Khoo), but that sort of behavior is generally frowned on in free posts.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    In order to make money.

Obviously. That goes without saying.

By the way, I'm agreeing with you, and adding a few cents.

If you think that I'm arguing with you, you need to get out of that argumentative mindset.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Well, they did it again. 4.3 is out, which gives NO NEW FEATURES.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Some sites say it does some performance updates, but more likely to brick some ignoramist MFer's out there.

delphinus on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am pretty sure I have never had a reason to update my Wii unless a game installs the update. By that point, HBC is normally updated to support it. Nothing to see here!

Shens on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I really hope the new Sin and Punishment game doesn't install the update for me. :/

Also what about using the shop channel? Can't use that till you updated it.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vegan wrote: »

Except uninstall homebrew.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The Wii is a computer, computers need to be constantly patched. I'm sure the biggest reason for the latest update was indeed 'homebrew' (lol (no offence legitimate users)). However there are undoubtedly stability updates and such also included.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wii don't have a Wii. Wii don't really want a Wii. But Wii will be informed about the new update possibly bricking non-hacked Wiis.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So did this update *actually* include performance enhancements like they claimed? Because my Wii runs like a dog - half of the channels will sit there with like a full minute of black screen before anything comes up. I mean, I tried to run freaking Kid Icarus the other day and that took almost 2 minutes to come up, I think because I had a save state on the game it was trying to load for god knows how long.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    If you don't play your Wii often, then when you "dust it off" it ends up spending a lot of time processing WiiConnect24 stuff it got while it was offline. Either turn off WiiConnect24 or wait like 5-10 minutes after boot for it to finish and then you can quickly enter games without issues.

Opty on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Opty wrote: »
    If you don't play your Wii often, then when you "dust it off" it ends up spending a lot of time processing WiiConnect24 stuff it got while it was offline. Either turn off WiiConnect24 or wait like 5-10 minutes after boot for it to finish and then you can quickly enter games without issues.

Ahh, well it's nice to have an explaination for that at least. I wonder if I should just turn it off - does anything actually get sent through that other than pointless Miis from people on your friends list?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

Ahh, well it's nice to have an explaination for that at least. I wonder if I should just turn it off - does anything actually get sent through that other than pointless Miis from people on your friends list?

Turn it off if only to save on energy costs - it has the Wii running at near switched-on capacity 24 hours a day. Whilst you're at in, unplug the damn thing rather than let it go into standby mode. Can't understand why consoles don't seem to have a hardware power switch nowadays.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bioptic wrote: »
    Turn it off if only to save on energy costs - it has the Wii running at near switched-on capacity 24 hours a day. Whilst you're at in, unplug the damn thing rather than let it go into standby mode. Can't understand why consoles don't seem to have a hardware power switch nowadays.

It's so that the government can spy on you and listen to your conversations!

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vegan wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_yDWQsrajA

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ShensShens Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wow. That trailer is pretty much the entire movie.

Shens on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shens wrote: »

Can you tell me, in recent memory, what trailer isn't the entire movie in 3 and a half minutes?

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Shens wrote: »

Can you tell me, in recent memory, what trailer isn't the entire movie in 3 and a half minutes?

The trailer for Never Let Me Go does a nice job of showing some drama without giving away too much to those who haven't read the book.

Ketar on