As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forum Let's Play Index -- OLD THREAD; Go to the new one!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So far, I've gotta ask... what the fuck warranted all the "SONIC UNLEASHED IS SHIT" attitudes people have? And I mean on this forum. The game looks alright. Not great, but decent. And it looks especially good compared to Sonic 2006.

But I guess I haven't actually played any Sonic games since the Sega Genesis. So what do I know.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've only watched one episode so far, but from the looks of it the game isn't anywhere near as bad as 2006. Though few things are. The gameplay seems decent, although they haven't got to the werehog stuff yet, which was supposedly the worst aspect of it.

If we're talking about SA LPs, I've recently watched the Final Fantasy 10 LP that isn't on the archive yet, and the Metal Gear Solid 3 one which is, and both are highly recommended if a bit long. I mean the FF10 one is like...30+ hours.

Schide on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only have the LP to go on, but my guess is that the Werehog stages are just too long and repetitive. The day stages looked fantastic. Trust me, further into the LP, they're racking up very long times in the night stages (filled with fetch quests, monster pits and lots of platforming) and they still get around a decent rank.

Also, the farming for medals to unlock more stages took up a lot of time for pokecapn and crew (but leads to Medibot's excellent running joke with collectables).

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    I've only watched one episode so far, but from the looks of it the game isn't anywhere near as bad as 2006. Though few things are. The gameplay seems decent, although they haven't got to the werehog stuff yet, which was supposedly the worst aspect of it.

If we're talking about SA LPs, I've recently watched the Final Fantasy 10 LP that isn't on the archive yet, and the Metal Gear Solid 3 one which is, and both are highly recommended if a bit long. I mean the FF10 one is like...30+ hours.

Who is doing the FFX Lets Play?

Henroid on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Also, I'm curious as to whether anyone has seen "Freeman's Mind".

This is the first episode.

Here's all the episodes so far

It takes a couple of eps to hit its stride, but I'm loving it. Basically, it's like a mix between an LP and an Abridged series, with Freeman portrayed as a genre-savvy sociopath.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

Kuvo, topiKal, and bandunk. So it's in the multiple commentator style (though they didn't play though it all at once because good god) and it's pretty funny, though it does drag in parts. They just finished it actually, so it's all done right there except for some extra stuff they're working on.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also, I'm curious as to whether anyone has seen "Freeman's Mind".

This is the first episode.

Here's all the episodes so far

It takes a couple of eps to hit its stride, but I'm loving it. Basically, it's like a mix between an LP and an Abridged series, with Freeman portrayed as a genre-savvy sociopath.

Oh crap, I don't know why I haven't included that in the recommended list. It's pretty good, even if not a classic sort of LP. Since it's RP'ing the LP.

"I am a matador, I fear no-" *SKREEE CRUNCH* "AH JESUS SHIT FUCK PISS THOSE THINGS BITE!"

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    My favourite line:

Is that an MP5? It is! Now I can solve up to 800 problems a minute!"

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Kuvo, Bandunk and Topikai. It's their first LP. I watched it. It was pretty amusing. Not really hilarious like the Freelance Astronauts LPs or the Sonic 2006 LP, but I think they'll be a group to watch. Their next is MGS4. I look forward to it.

As far as Sonic Unleashed goes, yeah, it's nowhere near as horrible as Sonic 2006, but the Pokecapn LP is still pretty amusing.

Other LPs I've been watching on SA are the "LPs" of Newground flash games. Some of them are particularly awful and funny like the Trapped series. Also Leovinus of the FFVIII LP is doing FFIX now. Apparently he tried VII and couldn't finish it.

Rock Tumbler's GTA4 is pretty funny, even though his updates are so rare.

Adus on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Kuvo, topiKal, and bandunk. So it's in the multiple commentator style (though they didn't play though it all at once because good god) and it's pretty funny, though it does drag in parts. They just finished it actually, so it's all done right there except for some extra stuff they're working on.

I liked the first few episodes but I couldn't watch the rest. Not because I thought it was lousy or anything, mind you. It's just that watching them miss items and other things here and there set off my FF-fanboy voice one too many times, despite the fact I'm not really a 100% completist myself. :)

Owenashi on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Prince of Persia sands of time or Red Faction 1 for a blind let's play?

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

If you -have- to do a blind Lets Play, Red Faction. Anything with pitfalls or instant death sort of precision movement is painful.

Henroid on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Anything with pitfalls or instant death sort of precision movement is painful.

PoP does have the sands mechanic though. I'm just mulling it over, as I've never thought of doing one before.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I would suggest something more tame then for your first LP. Again, familiarizing yourself with the process with something relatively simple to play is way better than having to familiarize yourself AND deal with frustrating shit in the game.

Edit - I'll take this time to note (unrelated) my EO2 LP is put on hold until further notice and marked as such on the listing. Anyone got any status updates on currently listed LPs?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I liked the first few episodes but I couldn't watch the rest. Not because I thought it was lousy or anything, mind you. It's just that watching them miss items and other things here and there set off my FF-fanboy voice one too many times, despite the fact I'm not really a 100% completist myself. :)

You're a terrible person.

Adus on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I only have the LP to go on, but my guess is that the Werehog stages are just too long and repetitive. The day stages looked fantastic. Trust me, further into the LP, they're racking up very long times in the night stages (filled with fetch quests, monster pits and lots of platforming) and they still get around a decent rank.

Also, the farming for medals to unlock more stages took up a lot of time for pokecapn and crew (but leads to Medibot's excellent running joke with collectables).

Unleashed looks fantastic at the beginning

After a few hours it becomes apparent that there are numerous terrible design decisions and not enough variety to sustain itself

Also some bullshit levels, impossibly annoying music, and a really poorly planned final boss fight

Still better than 2006 though, and the intro movie is super badass

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

If you -have- to do a blind Lets Play, Red Faction. Anything with pitfalls or instant death sort of precision movement is painful.

I second the Red Faction vote.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

After a few hours it becomes apparent that there are numerous terrible design decisions and not enough variety to sustain itself

Also some bullshit levels, impossibly annoying music, and a really poorly planned final boss fight

They seem to have done away with the majority of the camera issues, and I have yet to hear a peep about the controls being fidgety like in Sonic 2k6. Plus you don't auto-die by running into things while running super fast.

The way I'm taking in Unleashed's slow bits with the Werehog is that it replaced the slow bits of 2k6, which were BORING AS FUCK. In 2k6 you basically jumped up and then kept chaining your stupid spin dash thing. Over and over again. At least in Unleashed you have actual combat moves.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

They seem to have done away with the majority of the camera issues, and I have yet to hear a peep about the controls being fidgety like in Sonic 2k6. Plus you don't auto-die by running into things while running super fast.

The way I'm taking in Unleashed's slow bits with the Werehog is that it replaced the slow bits of 2k6, which were BORING AS FUCK. In 2k6 you basically jumped up and then kept chaining your stupid spin dash thing. Over and over again. At least in Unleashed you have actual combat moves.

But then there's the platforming with the werehog, which is uninspired at best and goddamn fucking awful at worst

And the music oh god the music I can still hear it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

I personally didn't find SoT to be all that challenging. I'm not sure if it'd really make a good LP though.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I've played warrior within and two thrones, so I don't think SoT would be particularly conceptually difficult.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Is 2006 the one where Sonic bangs a human?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited December 2009

When I first heard the jazzy battle music I was alright with it, because it does sound good.

And then I realized it's the music that will be used throughout, so it lost its flavor. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Yup.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I've played warrior within and two thrones, so I don't think SoT would be particularly conceptually difficult.

The main issue is that there are long spans where you're just platforming and fighting guys which might be hard to make entertaining or informative. That said you could always fast foward those parts or something like that.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »

The main issue is that there are long spans where you're just platforming and fighting guys which might be hard to make entertaining or informative. That said you could always fast foward those parts or something like that.

Fast forward his rewinds? Madness!

But yeah, can he teach me about ancient temples in that game?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    In that case it'll be red faction :P

I'll record a test set this evening just to see.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

ALL I NEED IS YOUR SMILE, ELISE

Adus on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That was fun, although not much happened in 20 minutes of gameplay. I'll post a test vid tomorrow when the upload gods allow me!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The city level in part 27 of the Sonic Unleashed LP was fucking SICK, that was awesome to see. I guess that's more geared for Sonic being awesome and not Werehog awesome though.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

When I first heard the jazzy battle music I was alright with it, because it does sound good.

And then I realized it's the music that will be used throughout, so it lost its flavor. D:

:whistle:Doo doo doo do doooo!:whistle:

It will never leave you.

And the final boss fight, oh god, I forgot about that.

Ending spoilers for the Unleashed LP
    The bit with the x40 QTE and their reaction is brilliant.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I really like the sand level for Sonic Unleashed actually, I spent a while trying to get the trophy for doing it really quickly and it feels pretty great when everything comes together and you find the right route to bomb through the level quickly, keeping the momentum and boost going. In those moments the game is pretty fun.

I think it's let down by the boring werehog stages, which just felt clunky and slow to me (I don't particularlly like God of War, which the werehog stages are trying to emulate. It's a bit too slow and repetitve), with some awful platforming sections.

The Sonic stages are generally quite fun, but I had a bit of trouble getting to grips with the parts where you're sprinting forward. Getting the skid just right takes a bit of practise. If you can find it on the cheap though, I would reccomend giving it a spin, I did genuinely enjoy quite a few of the Sonic stages.

In terms of LPs, since we're mentioning the SA LPs, ChipCheezum and General Ironicus just finished one of 50 Cent: Blood on the Cent and it is fucking hilarious.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Italax wrote: »
    In terms of LPs, since we're mentioning the SA LPs, ChipCheezum and General Ironicus just finished one of 50 Cent: Blood on the Cent and it is fucking hilarious.

I haven't finished it but yes, yes it is

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Those guys do great LPs. The MGS3 one is brilliant.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Link please? I don't see it in the SA archive....

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Pemulis wrote: »

Link please? I don't see it in the SA archive....

It's not in the archive yet.

Good, I was waiting for that to finish so I could watch it.

Schide on
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Thanks!

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV-qFTanXdk

There's the test video. There's a weird sound issue where some background sounds are randomly deafening, and music is a little loud, but I'm fixing those.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think you should experiment with detonating those yellow wall tattoos and seeing if there are goodies hidden within.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    DONT WANNA

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png