As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forum Let's Play Index -- OLD THREAD; Go to the new one!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So, just put up my thread for the STALKER Let's Play.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=107214

Crossing my fingers that it comes out as actually awesome instead seems awesome just to me.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hope this isn't too forward of me, but I'd love to see a Persona 1-PSP/3/4 LP done here. The combination of CJ's SMT1-LP and listening to some of the Persona Music Live tracks has put me in the mood as it were. >.<

Owenashi on
  • Options
    RoyaleBeastRoyaleBeast Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Hey guys new to this forum and want to start doing some lets play vids. I have a good recording system and conpressor but I cant find a good video editor that doesnt destroy the quality. Anyone know one?

RoyaleBeast on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Windows Movie Maker is fine.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Hope this isn't too forward of me, but I'd love to see a Persona 1-PSP/3/4 LP done here. The combination of CJ's SMT1-LP and listening to some of the Persona Music Live tracks has put me in the mood as it were. >.<
    Be mindful of the competition here.

Monger on
  • Options
    DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Eeh, not really. Mediacoder is by far better and I believe it's under the GNU public licence too (which basically means it's free)!

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I had considered doing an LP of Persona 1, Revelations style, at one point, but the PSP release made that unnecessary.

And SMT1 is less familiar territory.

I should probably link that.

Shin Megami Tensei [SNES] - Screenshot

Fear Effect is pretty much abandoned. I'll still finish it, but no one was watching, so it's not worth the trouble of recording what's left(which is at least two discs worth of game).

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    Owenashi wrote: »
    Be mindful of the competition here.

Well yeah, I know about that, but it'd still be nice to have a Persona-LP here. Especially with the potential participation from everyone.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    i didnt know u could edit videos with mediacoder. thats wat i use to compress the video.

RoyaleBeast on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Arrgh, I'm watching the Red Faction LP and I had to turn it off when I read that SurrealityCheck doesn't try to blow up the X shaped targets on walls. This is "Helloween, shoot the explosive barrels near the door" level of LP audience frustration

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Sadface

Sorry about that environment, I didn't blow you up :<

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Eeh, not really. Mediacoder is by far better and I believe it's under the GNU public licence too (which basically means it's free)!

Not to mention Movie Maker is a piece of shit.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm using Movie Maker for an LP and it works absolutely fine for me making HD videos for Youtube. In fact, once I figured things out it turned out to ludicrously more efficient way to make videos over editing in one program and turning clips into one video, compressing in another, and then uploading everything to Youtube. I just add clips, edit out what I don't need, and set it to the Xbox 360 HD setting or something like that for compression. Twenty minutes later, video's done with no problems and it looks great on Youtube.

Works absolutely fine for me.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Except, no matter how you look at it, WMM is a piece of shit (as it was eloquently put on the post above yours). My prefered video editing program is Sony Vegas but I can appreciate that not everyone can afford it hence why I suggested Mediacoder originally. Not to mention when WMM compresses, it does a crap job of it as the files are still far too large in my opinion. That said, I do use it for short videos (and by that I mean (mini) boss fight videos) since it's faster re them, and they usually come out a decent size anyway (FRAPs always initially renders the videos far too large for my liking when I record hence why I compress them prior to uploading).

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Except, no matter how you look at it, WMM is a piece of shit (as it was eloquently put on the post above yours). My prefered video editing program is Sony Vegas but I can appreciate that not everyone can afford it hence why I suggested Mediacoder originally. Not to mention when WMM compresses, it does a crap job of it as the files are still far too large in my opinion. That said, I do use it for short videos (and by that I mean (mini) boss fight videos) since it's faster re them, and they usually come out a decent size anyway (FRAPs always initially renders the videos far too large for my liking when I record hence why I compress them prior to uploading).

Or, like another post above yours, Movie Maker is just fine. Dozens of gigabytes compressed down into a ~500 megabyte file with zero intermediary programs and it looks fine for an LP. Also, already installed on most modern computers. In fact, it was recommended to me by another person on the PA forums who has done several excellent LPs and said Movie Maker does a good job.

So, yeah, Movie Maker is still fine for LP work. Has yet to display any tendencies to me which would indicate it's anything other than a decent, casual video editor.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    500 megabytes is still too large; there's a reason it's the size limit for videos on Viddler (and I don't give a crap about how Youtube's is 2GB. Youtube is shit and you all know it).

I actually removed WMM from my computer because it's a complete waste. Not to mention, merely loading the thing can sometimes cause your entire computer to crash requiring a complete reboot (and, yes, there are people who can testify to that effect).

I'd say that anyone who recommends WMM needs their head examining, since Mediacoder can do the same thing only better.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    yeah it does that shit all the time on my computer. i love the compression of media coder. it compresses a 3 gb video from fraps to 12 mbs and keeps all quality it rules. still trying to find a good video editor though

RoyaleBeast on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    VirtualDub is, apparantly, useful for that. It even has the ability to record stuff making it even more useful.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    PemulisPemulis Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I just watched Josh's LP of IWBTG, still one of my favorite LPs ever. Too bad he hasn't made any more (that I'm aware of).

Also. Dragonatrix, your sig is pretty huge.

Pemulis on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    500 megabytes is still too large; there's a reason it's the size limit for videos on Viddler (and I don't give a crap about how Youtube's is 2GB. Youtube is shit and you all know it).

I actually removed WMM from my computer because it's a complete waste. Not to mention, merely loading the thing can sometimes cause your entire computer to crash requiring a complete reboot (and, yes, there are people who can testify to that effect).

I'd say that anyone who recommends WMM needs their head examining, since Mediacoder can do the same thing only better.

I am recommending WMM. I am not on a soap box being a video editor program snob. I have also never heard of it crashing the computer of anyone I know. Anecdotal, opinionated arguments FTW.

More importantly, Josh's LP is factually great. It features more frustration per frame than any other LP ever which makes it perversely entertaining. Enjoying watching someone play something that sadistic should be restricted by law.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Recorded a second set for red faction, making a post for it tomorrow. While Lara is recalcitrant and causes my computer to freeze I'll just churn these out. It's quite an amusing game, so.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    More importantly, Josh's LP is factually great. It features more frustration per frame than any other LP ever which

is not only unprovable, but not a good thing.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You guys : (

Fire Emblem 4

It was mostly screenshots : (

Frosteey on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You should do the next six, they'll notice eventually.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Windows Movie Maker has a flaw of not being able to pinpoint precise cuts when you're chopping up footage. You'll want it to stop at 23.5 seconds, but it'll go to 25. This is my experience from using it years ago, and the experience a friend of mine went through when she made videos with it. Precision is key in video editing.

I finished watching the Sonic Unleashed LP. The game looks alright. The LP was fairly amusing, and got frustrating at the end as Pokecapn's anger rose. But it didn't get as bad as Sonic 2k6 where pretty much the last half was him being a ball of rage. Good stuff though. The bonus videos of the Sonic stages are nice. Sega should make a game like that. All speedy Sonic levels. They look FUN.

Henroid on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Not to mention when WMM compresses, it does a crap job of it as the files are still far too large in my opinion.

It has levels of compression where you trade quality for file size. I dunno how it compares to other programs because I haven't done a first-hand comparison, but when you think about it, streaming videos - especially LPs - aren't going to be the utmost best in video compression and they frankly don't have to be.

Don't take me wrong, quality does count, but only to a certain point.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Henroid, I highly suggest watching Black Knight next if you haven't already. It's only fitting after all (and, like Unleashed it's archived; they were archived at the same time).

E; Indeed, quality does only count to a point but I'd rather have a small sized file that is actually watchable. The one time I manually set the compression rate to one I usually use, it ended up looking like crap.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Henroid, I highly suggest watching Black Knight next if you haven't already. It's only fitting after all (and, like Unleashed it's archived; they were archived at the same time).

E; Indeed, quality does only count to a point but I'd rather have a small sized file that is actually watchable. The one time I manually set the compression rate to one I usually use, it ended up looking like crap.

Yeah I saw it there, but was more curious about Unleashed because of it being the latest main title as well as the PA reactions I saw to the game.

As for the compression thing, I'm sure it's not the best. But it being an option - a free option at that - is enough to warrant recommendation. It gets the rough job done. I really need to get around to updating recommended sites and programs for LP creation.

Henroid on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    WMM is completely unwieldy at times. I remember having to cut a video into a piece, and then delete everything around it to isolate it. Took forever and many Ctrl Zs.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I really need to get around to updating recommended sites and programs for LP creation.

If you want any suggestions for SSLPs (although looking at the actual list, I shouldn't see why you would but y'never know), or whatever, I'm more likely to be of help there. Whilst I do have some experience with VLPs, the only ones I considered bearable in some fashion (note that bearable =/= good necessarily) where done subtitled in the first place.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    I really need to get around to updating recommended sites and programs for LP creation.

If you want any suggestions for SSLPs (although looking at the actual list, I shouldn't see why you would but y'never know), or whatever, I'm more likely to be of help there. Whilst I do have some experience with VLPs, the only ones I considered bearable in some fashion (note that bearable =/= good necessarily) where done subtitled in the first place.

I'm always willing to accept anyone's help for this sort of thing (it's more or less the point of any of my community driven threads). All you gotta do is provide a basic writeup on why the program or site is good, provide a link, and bammo, I can copy + paste it + format it to the thread. And toss in credit to who is recommending and such.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I'm a good image host away from starting FF VI Advance.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Photobucket.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I'm a good image host away from starting FF VI Advance.

Ordinarily, I'd be inclined to suggest Xs.to but that seems to refuse to work at the moment so for the time being I'd have to say Imageshack or selfhost somehow.

E; God no. Not photobucket. Never photobucket.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Photobucket.

Schide on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I did photobucket for MoO and it was annoying. Their batch uploader doesn't work and it isn't compatible with the right click upload program I have. It did however tend to have a decent enough upload cap.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It worked for me, but I usually just put all the images in one folder, hold shift, and highlight everything.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    However, the bandwidth and such isn't the main problem with Photobucket (you can always buy more). It's the fact that some ISPs just don't deal well with it, making the thread outright unreadable or causing constant browser crashes etc.

E; There's easier ways to batch upload than using any right-click programs too.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Photobucket is BAD BAD BAD, my bandwidth ran out during my Diablo LP. I cannot recommend it. Unless you have a paid account that lets you have more monthly bandwidth.

Imageshack is better. You have a few hundred MB of bandwidth per individual image PER HOUR.

Edit - Oh my God, Sonic and the Black Knight looks like shit.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    This is from the Sonic Unleashed LP, one of the extra videos. Pokecapn played through all the stages, Hedgehog and Weregod, on sorta speed runs. No commentary, just alternate music tracks.

All I have to say to Sega is "More like this please." (watch in high-quality for kick your ass frame-rates and a real sense of how fluid it all is, except when the game itself fucks up)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjxB0L0dJSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phdEFf8ZLXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyswO99lRr8

Edit - By the way, the first video, he shortcuts the fuck out of the stage at the start.

Henroid on