As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Shin Megami Tensei [The End]

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
smtc.jpg

No, we're not playing the Sega CD version. But it's a nifty cover, isn't it?

Update Index

Prelude

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Part 11

Part 12 (Interlude)

Part 13

Part 14

Endgame

Finale Part 1

Finale Part 2

Shin Megami Tensei was the first of a trilogy that some of you might be familiar with. It was developed and released in the 1992 by Atlus, and never released in the US.

(It roughly translates to True Goddess Metampsychosis, referring to the unending cycle of death and rebirth or some such.)

Even though RPGs were gradually picking up steam in the states at the time, Nintendo was a long way away from allowing a publisher to touch a game this controversial.

As such, it's never been released in the US, and likely never will be.

On the bright side,

img00000.jpg

Aeon Genesis are really awesome, and were kind enough to fan translate it a few years back.

So that's the version we'll be playing.

First, a prelude, after which input from you will be needed.

1.jpg

The Key of Solomon, typically associated with summoning demons of a Goetic nature.

Bad mojo in general.

Some history, c/o Wikipedia:
The Key of Solomon is divided into two books. It describes not the appearance or work of any demon but only the necessary drawings to prepare each experiment.

Unlike later grimoires such as the Pseudomonarchia Daemonum (16th century) or the Lemegeton (17th century ), the Key of Solomon does not mention the signature of the seventy-two spirits constrained by King Solomon in a bronze vessel.

As in most medieval grimoires, all magical operations are ostensibly performed through the power of God, to whom all the invocations are addressed. Before any of these operations (termed "experiments") are performed, the operator must confess his sins and purge himself of evil, invoking the protection of God.

Elaborate preparations are necessary, and each of the numerous items used in the operator's "experiments" must be constructed of the appropriate materials obtained in the prescribed manner, at the appropriate astrological time, marked with a specific set of magical symbols, and blessed with its own specific words. All substances needed for the magic drawings and amulets are detailed, as well as the means to purify and prepare them. Many of the symbols incorporate the Transitus Fluvii occult alphabet.

So it's not necessarily evil, per se.

Anyway.

2.jpg

This is where the end begins.

3.jpg

The opening is mostly assorted cryptic images. They may or may not make sense later.

8.jpg

You'll wish he hadn't done that.

4.jpg

Even in the future, the crips run the streets.

5.jpg

You'll certainly see more of her.

7.jpg

Her too.

6.jpg

Astute readers might recognize a familiar phrase or two in that jumble of text.

And so we begin.

img00000.jpg

Like most RPGs of the era, SMT begins with...

9.jpg

A dream sequence. But something is off about this one.

10.jpg

Not by choice...

11.jpg

Well, fine.

12.jpg

Here's where you come in.

We will need, at least, the names for three male characters, and one female character.

hero2.jpgheroine2.jpglaw2.jpgchaos2.jpg

Please classify by type who you'd like to name what:
[Hero, Heroine, Law Hero, Chaos Hero]

Also, if you have any preferences for stat allocations for these four PCs, you may want to start considering this:

13.jpg

I believe the game is possible with any build, but some will be far easier than others.

Keep in mind: this will mostly be a blind LP after a certain point. I've only done up to around the third dungeon, and from that point on, it will be uncharted territory.

Isn't that the fun part?

(And for all six of you who were actually following Fear Effect, apologies.
Too much effort, not enough viewership. Besides, I actually complete screenshot LPs.)

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Name them Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo

I actually didn't realize that would work until now

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    All I can say is before you start doing optional end-game stuff, make sure your alignment is right before you waste time. The whole reason I stopped was because I found Bishamonten or someone after like 2 hours of dungeon crawling and he just went "Fuck off, your alignment isn't right. Have fun walking out you dumbass."

Gilder on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    A quick tip: try fusing Pascal the first chance you get, you won't regret it.

Joule on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll only have the thread to blame, since any major decisions, I'll be leaving to a vote.
    (Though I do have my ongoing file in which I'll probably make my own choices.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, you actually started this.

Names I don't care about, but for stats, give the Law and Chaos hero some decent magic, and go for mostly physical on the Main. I forget completely what the Heroine does in the story, so I say keep her fairly balanced between the stats

Something you should keep in mind that I didn't my first run of the game: You have an automap, in the comp screen. Just know that if the Main gets knocked out, you can't use it until he's back up. I think I still have the book of maps I made when I first ran this game somewhere

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Name them Mac, Dennis, Dee, and Charlie.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For the naming, the four are, from left to right:

Hero, Heroine, Law Hero, Chaos Hero.

hero2.jpgheroine2.jpglaw2.jpgchaos2.jpg

So if you have a preference for who gets named what, that'll help. First real update might be tomorrow or so.

Here's some ambient selection music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtBNempnEtw&feature=related

I bet it was remixed from this game anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Name them Ellis, Rochelle, Coach, and Nick.
    Or after things you'd find in your kitchen. Toaster, Stove, Sausage, Cat Food, Spoon...

Adus on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How many characters is the name selection limited to?

This is important information to know.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It looks like 8 judging from the screenshot above.

Alternatively, name one after me.

Adus on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jephery wrote: »
    Name them Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yes, eight characters. And I guess I'll go with an assortment of the best provided names or something.

Naming them after the Earthbound cast seems oddly appropriate, but not quite.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/cjiwakura/SMT/6.jpg

Astute readers might recognize a familiar phrase or two in that jumble of text.
    Well, there's the word Atlus. :P

Eloheim and Adonai are both names of God. Athantos is involved in Kabbalah. Theos is another word meaning god, though not God-God. Tetragrammaton refers to YHWH, the phrase used to refer to God in the Torrah. So another name for God.

And amen.

In other words it seems to be a bunch of words that could have some mystic meaning jumbled together. :P

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    John, Paul, George, Ringo.

Your choice on whoever deserves to be Ringo.

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You could name them Duke, DoomGuy, BJ, and... Joanna? And all have them only use guns.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Law hero reminds me a bit of Kaneda. So let's call him Tetsuo and chaos Kaneda.

Hero and Heroine look like... Well, they look like idiots to me. Actually I only like Law Hero's design. So, um...

Actually, how about... Akinari, Eri, Bunkichi and Kazushi, in that order.

Aydr on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yaaaaaay

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    yaaaaaay

I wanted to go with Kou, but I wanted the arcana to at least line up somewhat with their roles and it didn't seem right to use Kou and not Daisuke. Didn't want them to be stuck without each other's balls to polish.

Fun fact: did you know that in some decks, the card strength is replaced with lust?

Aydr on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aydr wrote: »
    yaaaaaay

I wanted to go with Kou, but I wanted the arcana to at least line up somewhat with their roles and it didn't seem right to use Kou and not Daisuke. Didn't want them to be stuck without each other's balls to polish.

Fun fact: did you know that in some decks, the card strength is replaced with lust?

Fits with Kou. Dude has a really, really weird fetish for basketball, and balls.

He loooooooves them balls.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, eight characters. And I guess I'll go with an assortment of the best provided names or something.

Naming them after the Earthbound cast seems oddly appropriate, but not quite.

I'll second the Left 4 Dead character names then (first or second works). Demon apocalypse is only a few steps up from Zombie apocalypse.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Demon apocalypse is arguably worse. Zombies just want to eat you. Demons want to manipulate you, then eat you. If you're lucky.

I didn't realize those were L4D2 names. And don't be surprised if I wind up naming someone Toaster. Fits the cyberpunk theme.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Demon apocalypse is definitely worse than zombie.

But way cooler.

Aydr on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm...all right, I'm throwing my name hat in for Georik, Lilith, Mikhail and Bruno, which seem to be about the most apt names I can think of for this.

And by third dungeon, do you by any chance mean (risky spoilers, obviously)
    That post-apocalyptic temple or harem or whatever
    where various dead folks from before the apocalypse are reanimated and sorta hanging around
    and you go there to kill Law Hero's pre-apoc girlfriend/your neighbor with sacred incense or something
    just before Law Hero gets his soul sucked out by that one demon?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ugh, no Left 4 Dead characters. Clashes.

If anything I vote the Earthbound characters. I would love to recommend some names true to the SMT series, but all I really have are names from Persona 3 and 4 and I really don't think those would fit either.

So yeah, Earthbound names ftw.

edit: or Sorenson's names. Those are good too. Maybe change Lilith.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Name them Mac, Dennis, Dee, and Charlie.

I support this

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    edit: or Sorenson's names. Those are good too. Maybe change Lilith.
    I take it you don't quite know where I'm drawing those, eh? There's a reason for her, trust me.

...though knowing this franchise there's probably a reason to override the reason to put her in.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'd say no demon names, those are probably going to get tricky. No L4D either. Earthbound... Not such a bad choice, really. Though "Poo" seemed silly enough in EB. Who's Law and who's Chaos, though?

Paula is Chaos right? Yeah, you must mean Paula is Chaos.

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    There are supposedly canon names too, but that's taking the boring way out.
    (Kazuya / Yuka / Yuji / Takeshi)

Also, this is how Hero looks in the PS1 version:
    thehero2.jpg

I kind of like the plain SNES look better.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man, no wonder the world was nuked and infested with demons what with Sam Davis apparently cornering the PC market.
    I am so sorry, but that's the first I've seen of that particular design and I couldn't resist.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Law Hero has to be KANEDAAA.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    At present, I'm leaning towards:

Toaster, Paula, Kaneda, and Bruno.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    No, it has to be KANEDAAA.

In all caps, and with the multiple A's.

Every time someone says his name, they scream it.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    No, it has to be KANEDAAA.

In all caps, and with the multiple A's.

Every time someone says his name, they scream it.

Maybe, but it kinda loses the punch if nobody's named TETSUOOO

Aydr on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TETSUOOO is an acceptable second for Chaos.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Aww. :(
    But if you're going with Kaneda, DO EET
    EDIT: THough as a last-ditch effort I will also suggest Alan, Rosalind, Song and Edward for reasons that should be quite obvious if you think about it for a minute or two.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hmm. Why not go with Hitoshura, Argilla, Souji and Minato?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    smtc.jpg

No, we're not playing the Sega CD version. But it's a nifty cover, isn't it?

Freaking awesome.

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    Izanagi-OkamiIzanagi-Okami Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whatever you do don't name your main Raidou or Kuzonoha. I named my main Raidou Kuzonoha in P4 and I was very very confused in one scene.

Also I third Ness, Poo, Paula, and Jeff.

Izanagi-Okami on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    She doesn't look like a Paula to me. (But I'm bad at thinking of names :?)

Anyways I've been looking forward to this LP for a long time CJ. I know it will be awesome. :mrgreen:

Adellios on
  • Options
    cozy duckcozy duck Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Important tip for you:

Speed is a great stat on the hero/heroine later in the game, because it will allow you to go first most of the time. In combination with multitarget guns + sleep/charm bullets or zio spells this is pretty broken.

cozy duck on