As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Man raises demon in church. Is this a crime?

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Religion is sacred only to the religious.

Oh and hey you called him a faggot, because gay people are definitely negative things, and it is hurtful to insinuate someone is gay, because of how bad gay people are.

But no no feel free to get your panties in a bunch over someone telling people who don't believe in demons that there is a demon near them it's basically almost like he did something that could barely be considered not being a great person.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    You can't be arrested for attempted murder for "stabbing" someone with a mashmellow

So in essence you're saying that you can't be charged with attempting an act if your attempt in no way will accomplish that act, right?

That's not all that different from what happened here. We might as well make it illegal to eat unicorns.
    Well, no, you'll still go down for attempted murder if you try to hire a dude to do the job and he turns you in or turns out to be a cop, and you can still go down if you try to kill someone with something soft and fluffy. Like a pillow!

But that's not really the crux of the issue; demons aren't real and only stupid people think they're either a legitimate threat or a weapon. Nobody's going to get arrested for calling up Azazel on their ex-wife, but they might get medicated.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can't be arrested for attempted murder for "stabbing" someone with a mashmellow

So in essence you're saying that you can't be charged with attempting an act if your attempt in no way will accomplish that act, right?

That's not all that different from what happened here. We might as well make it illegal to eat unicorns.
    Technically, trying to kill someone by stabbing them with a marshmallow meets the legal requirements of attempted murder in that it involves a guilty thought (or mens rea) and a bad action. Being an incompetent murderer isn't a defense to a charge of attempted murder.

Though, if you really thought you could kill someone by stabbing them with a marshmallow, you probably have a pretty good insanity defense. And, realistically, I doubt any prosecutor would bother filing charges.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Oh and hey you called him a faggot, because gay people are definitely negative things, and it is hurtful to insinuate someone is gay, because of how bad gay people are.

But no no feel free to get your panties in a bunch over someone telling people who don't believe in demons that there is a demon near them it's basically almost like he did something that could barely be considered not being a great person.

No don't talk down to me

homosexuality is only sacred to homosexuals

I didn't do anything wrong

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So, I'm assuming some guy walks into the church during service and doesn't do anything particularly remarkable to draw attention to himself. Later on he claims to have summoned a demon. o_O

I don't really see the issue here. I don't even think there's enough information to call him a jerk or what he did mean-spirited. Nuts maybe.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

No don't talk down to me

Right. You did not do anything legally wrong, you were just a bit of a cock. Which is okay for people to be, really. So, how about no one calls up the police on you, the same way no sane person would call on the police for someone who "summoned" a "demon" at "people he never even directly addressed"?

Edit: I'd really go with "probably mentally ill" but whatever I guess.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I was just saying the guy was an abhorrent shiteater

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think this is somewhat like a fire and brimstone priest going into the hospital and telling people they will die because they don't believe in god
    Is this illegal?
    Only if they believe the priest's god has the power to kill them.

GungHo on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Religion is sacred
    Which religions are sacred, again?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Religion is sacred
    Which religions are sacred, again?

All of them.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Within reason

and it is obvious where the line is drawn

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Within reason

Um. No.

All of them all of them.

It's the definition of the word.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What about demon-occult-guy's religion?

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Exactly, his religion dictates he must to do this to create a den for his evil demon magics. Sure it might be crazier than most religions, but it's still sounds like pretty standard religious mumbo-jumbo to me.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

It's sacred to him, innit?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Daxon wrote: »

Exactly, his religion dictates he must to do this to create a den for his evil demon magics. Sure it might be crazier than most religions, but it's still sounds like pretty standard religious mumbo-jumbo to me.

Most religions don't say you need to do it in order to cause people to commit suicide.

Couscous on
  • Options
    NartwakNartwak Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm considering summoning a demon to this thread to bedevil The Black Hunter and drive him to great obesity. Is this legal under UK law?

Nartwak on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Nartwak wrote: »
    I'm considering summoning a demon to this thread to bedevil The Black Hunter and drive him to great obesity. Is this legal under UK law?
    I think it is, but only if your demon gets to him before the cheetos do.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Within reason

Please provide examples of where the line is and isn't drawn.

GungHo on
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Make sure you are summoning a pre-existing demon, not creating one out of spite+fear+rage+insubstantial mist; otherwise you'll have to pay VAT on it.

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Make sure you are summoning a pre-existing demon, not creating one out of spite+fear+rage+insubstantial mist; otherwise you'll have to pay VAT on it.

Holy shit! Well, I guess it figures old Beelzebub would have some scam going to keep seniority. Will do.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Within reason

I would really like to see this line.

Quid on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »

Technically, trying to kill someone by stabbing them with a marshmallow meets the legal requirements of attempted murder in that it involves a guilty thought (or mens rea) and a bad action. Being an incompetent murderer isn't a defense to a charge of attempted murder.

Though, if you really thought you could kill someone by stabbing them with a marshmallow, you probably have a pretty good insanity defense. And, realistically, I doubt any prosecutor would bother filing charges.

This is what I came here to say.

But really, charges should be filed - this fellow needs some help. It's not that he believes he can summon demons, good for him. It's that he chose to express his faith by summoning a demon to cause the congregation of a church to commit suicide. That there is pretty sick.

It's not about the apparent strangeness of his beliefs, it's not about angry antitheists ranting against religion, it's about this one dude's intent to kill off his local church by a method he thought potent.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009

No don't talk down to me

Right. You did not do anything legally wrong, you were just a bit of a cock. Which is okay for people to be, really. So, how about no one calls up the police on you, the same way no sane person would call on the police for someone who "summoned" a "demon" at "people he never even directly addressed"?

If I plant a bomb filled with play-doh, and I genuinely think it will explode and kill people, I am guilty of attempted murder.

If I "summon a demon" and I genuinely think it will make people commit suicide, I am guilty of attempted murder.

Robman on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »

No don't talk down to me

If I plant a bomb filled with play-doh, and I genuinely think it will explode and kill people, I am guilty of attempted murder.

If I "summon a demon" and I genuinely think it will make people commit suicide, I am guilty of attempted murder.
    no you're really not. that's fucking retarded

MikeMan on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

No don't talk down to me

In either of those cases you're not really guilty of attempted murder seeing how you're certifiably insane. Well, maybe you're guilty of it, but instead of going to prison you'll be going to a fun house until you stop thinking that play-doh is lethal or that you can summon demons.

reVerse on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Within reason

I would really like to see this line.

My guess is that it's Islam

Evander on
  • Options
    JohnOrangePeelJohnOrangePeel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This is hilarious, every party involved is fucking retarded; the 'witch king', the bible bashers, and the police. Farcical stories such as these make one check whether the date is actually the 1st of April.

JohnOrangePeel on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In either of those cases you're not really guilty of attempted murder seeing how you're certifiably insane. Well, maybe you're guilty of it, but instead of going to prison you'll be going to a fun house until you stop thinking that play-doh is lethal or that you can summon demons.
    None of those would actually make a person legally insane.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insanity_defense#Rules_of_appreciation
    The M'Naghten Rules (1843) 10 C & F 200, state, inter alia, that a person may be "insane" if "...at the time of the committing of the act, the party accused was laboring under such a defect of reason, arising from a disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing, or, if he did know it, that he did not know what he was doing was wrong." During the mid- 20th century the M'Naghten Rules were gradually replaced in most jurisdictions in the United States by other tests listed below. Following the attempted assassination of another prominent political figure (president Ronald Reagan), however, the M'Naghten Rules underwent a major revival such that they apply in the majority of states.

Couscous on
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Believing that you can summon demons that can kill a person doesn't make you legally insane?

That's just idiotic. Whoever's in charge of that stuff is an idiot and should be fired.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    The M'Naghten Rules (1843) 10 C & F 200, state, inter alia, that a person may be "insane" if "...at the time of the committing of the act, the party accused was laboring under such a defect of reason, arising from a disease of the mind, as not to know the nature and quality of the act he was doing, or, if he did know it, that he did not know what he was doing was wrong." During the mid- 20th century the M'Naghten Rules were gradually replaced in most jurisdictions in the United States by other tests listed below. Following the attempted assassination of another prominent political figure (president Ronald Reagan), however, the M'Naghten Rules underwent a major revival such that they apply in the majority of states.
    I think anyone who thinks they could murder someone by summoning a demon or using a play-doh bomb is very likely to have mental issues that might well qualify them as being legally insane.

It would probably be pretty tough to be so out of touch with reality and remain legally sane. Anyway, I don't see any prosecutor actually filing attempted murder charges against such a person.

This case is like a bad law school criminal law hypothetical.

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    edited October 2009
    MikeMan wrote: »

No don't talk down to me

no you're really not. that's fucking retarded

Here you go sire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mens_rea

There's a good starting place before you dismiss one of the founding principles of law as "fucking retarded"

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    I think anyone who thinks they could murder someone by summoning a demon or using a play-doh bomb is very likely to have mental issues that might well qualify them as being legally insane.

It would probably be pretty tough to be so out of touch with reality and remain legally sane. Anyway, I don't see any prosecutor actually filing attempted murder charges against such a person.

This case is like a bad law school criminal law hypothetical.

Being found not criminally liable by reason of insanity is not the same as being found innocent. You're forcibly confined to an insane asylum until the doctors there judge you fit to integrate back into society. In some ways, it's worse then prison. In other ways, hey, the person is getting the help they need.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, it's open and shut then. All they'll need to do now is furnish the demon they were assaulted with so it can be admitted into evidence.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, it's open and shut then. All they'll need to do now is furnish the demon they were assaulted with so it can be admitted into evidence.

Oh gosh aren't you clever!

This is an interesting case - this person is clearly mentally disturbed, and wishes death on the church goers. But I see we're all caught up in the oh ho ho god and demons! aspect of it. I guess we should turn this fellow loose and see how far he is willing to go with his deadly intentions! Maybe if he blows up a church, we can get a real laugh because, well, they were a bunch of misguided Christians anyways and the world is better off without them! Ha ha ha!

Robman on
  • Options
    HKPacman420HKPacman420 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

This is an interesting case - this person is clearly mentally disturbed, and wishes death on the church goers. But I see we're all caught up in the oh ho ho god and demons! aspect of it. I guess we should turn this fellow loose and see how far he is willing to go with his deadly intentions! Maybe if he blows up a church, we can get a real laugh because, well, they were a bunch of misguided Christians anyways and the world is better off without them! Ha ha ha!

Could he possibly just be an idiotic dick? Like he just said that to scare/piss off Christians, and has no real urge to do violence? That's what I'm leaning toward,some dumb kid who's simply doing it wrong.

HKPacman420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    No way, they need to arrest the mad thought-bomber of Cambridge now before he imagines again.

Nartwak on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009

Maybe we should arrest everybody who doesn't believe in Christianity, just to be safe.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited October 2009

Could he possibly just be an idiotic dick? Like he just said that to scare/piss off Christians, and has no real urge to do violence? That's what I'm leaning toward,some dumb kid who's simply doing it wrong.

If he's just being a dick, sitting him down across from an Inspector to discuss whether he wants to be charged with harassment or attempted murder might be the sort of "welcome to society, we don't accept this sort of thing" message he needs to get his head straight.

If he honestly believes that he was summoning a demon to kill the church goers, then he really needs some help. An assessment isn't unjustified - mass murder intentions aren't something to take lightly.

Robman on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Can I be arrested for medical crimes if I tell a toddler I stole his nose?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.