As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Saints Row 2 - Videos gone, nothing to see here.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yesss, always bet on the duke.

This was a very amusing game.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'd be up for lending a hand with a bit of LP coop. Dibs on Level 6 Drug Trafficking! :D

Also, the Saints Row 2 PC Game On thread is still going on. There's a steam group for coordinating coop in the OP as well.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=100919

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I wanna join too
    I can play any mission, any activities, and DIBS ON LEVEL 6 AIRPORT DRUG TRAFFICKING!!!!

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I wanna join too
    I can play any mission, any activities, and DIBS ON LEVEL 6 AIRPORT DRUG TRAFFICKING!!!!

Nooooo! Damn you!

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    My schedule is pretty flexible though, so if someone has an hour or so to just run through a few missions or activities, let me know when is good for you.

I have like no work this week. If you see me on Steam or AIM or whatever, just toss me a message when you feel like playing. I'll put my away up if I'm busy. I'll be busy for the next hour or two while I edit and upload the next set, though.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    My schedule is pretty flexible though, so if someone has an hour or so to just run through a few missions or activities, let me know when is good for you.

I have like no work this week. If you see me on Steam or AIM or whatever, just toss me a message when you feel like playing. I'll put my away up if I'm busy. I'll be busy for the next hour or two while I edit and upload the next set, though.

I'm free in the evenings usually. But sure, I'll message you on Steam. Feel free to let me know when you're getting started on a segment and I may be able to help.

Also, why not hang out in the Gentlemen of the Row Steam chat? It would be much easier to find some willing accomplices to aid and abet for your LP, and would be interesting to have a range of different PA players. I could also do a mass invite when you're ready and see if anyone wants to help out.

IdolNinja on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hahaha I'll message him first.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't really get it, but for some reason the direct links won't do HQ, but watching them on my channel will. Here they are embedded anyway:

(Last few are still sort of processing. Oh, and sorry about the clicking in the background. I forgot to turn my fan off. :/ )

Set 3: Carpooling: The Revenge

Adus on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Huh. I didn't expect anything that serious out of Saint's Row 2. And especially this close to the start, too. Still doing pretty good, and truth told, I didn't really notice the fan that much, so it wasn't that bad.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh Pierce. He just don't get no respect.

But... doing the Ronin missions first? Seriously? I always save 'em for last. Probably because I prefer taking over the slums first and then work my way up.
    Also because the first Brotherhood mission gets kind of awkward if you've already taken out another gang.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I have my reasons.
    Best fighting style. Helicopter unlock after hospital mission and best of all...

Ninja gang customization!

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I returned the USB headset so I could get one that actually works with recording game audio and mic. Of course, I had to rearrange settings therefore the game audio is now kinda soft. Sorry about that. On the plus side, there should be less audio scratches from my two pairs of headphones clacking together. Big comfort upgrade on my side, too, as keeping my neck super straight in order to minimize those noises before really was a pain.

And another bonus, I totally kept the foam mic cover from the other headset. No one was the wiser!

So here's the next set. Hope you enjoy. I might have gone overboard on putting music in, but there's really only so much one can say about gunning down Ronin after a few hours of it. Plus I like my music. If you don't, then you may suck a loaf. Oh, I also added a list of music included in the videos to the front page for reference. I realize I'm risking more copyright shit each time but if that becomes a problem again, I'll probably just change hosts.

On the other hand, if you genuinely think the music is detrimental to the LP, let me know, and I'll stop doing it. I've noticed the views on the videos have been taking a pretty big dive after each set. Seeing that this is my first video LP, I don't know if this is normal or not, but if there are things I could be doing better, my ears are open. Besides audio issues though. I'm already aware of those.

Set 4: Ministry of Saints

Adus on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I generally wait until there are a few chapters up before I dive into a LP. I didn't start watching [the very fine] LP of Chrono Trigger until it had a good few chapters and then I binged on a bunch of them in one night.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I guessed that might be it for some people. I do that, too. Just making sure I'm not doing a terrible job, which I kinda am since I've never been good at on the spot commentary.

My hope is that the game is amusing enough without my help. Speaking of which, Duke has had a lot of fun in his classic Dukefit, but I think we should dress him up some. The costume shop has a bunch of things that could make things more interesting, such as these outfits:

Pirate
    Slutty Catgirl sorta thing
    Evil Doctor
    Slasher-movie villan
    Hippie
    Barber Shop
    Construction uniform
    HazMat suit
    Clown
    Mime
    Hot Dog Suit
    Judge Robe
    Ninja Suit

Or write something in if you think it can be custom made.

I would have taken a picture of him in each just to show them off, but I'm too tired right now, so maybe I'll edit them in later. For now, put in some votes on which you'd like to see for the next gang missions (not the next set though. That's a couple already recorded co-op activities with Stormwatcher). I'll try to change his outfit each set, so just give me your top few choices or something. Also, if you want, suggest whether I should do the Brotherhood of Sons of Samedi missions next.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Drugged-up voodoo hippies or musclebound truck-drivers with way too many tattoos?

Eh, let's go with the Sons of Samedi first. Or, heck, do a couple of one then the other.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The later sets taking a big dive in views is common, don't worry about it.

Actually,don't worry about viewers at all. As long as you are having fun, go through the LP. And if you get some positive comments out of it, that's a bonus.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I think you should go Samedi and barbershop.

Or make a whole new stupid outfit yourself, they're even worse.

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    The later sets taking a big dive in views is common, don't worry about it.

Actually,don't worry about viewers at all. As long as you are having fun, go through the LP. And if you get some positive comments out of it, that's a bonus.

True enough. Just running around as Duke has been pretty amusing for me.

Big thanks to Stormwatcher for joining me for this set, especially since he had to endure hearing all my game audio over Skype due to how I have to set Fraps to record.

Set 5 - Quyzbuk

Adus on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey, snazzy. I've never seen saints row multiplayer in action.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Haha. That edit in on Set 5 was aces.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    My favorite part is the set titles. Dukelicious!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I need to remember to turn off Skype's auto speaker/mic balancing. Such a pain in the ass finding out while editing that random segments are completely different in audio level and not being able to increase it.

Nevertheless, here's a smaller set with a single co-op activity with IdolNinja. Thanks again to him for joining me, and putting up with the loss of half our recordings (I crashed and it didn't begin recording again once I restarted, despite the fact I know I pressed the button). Our Fight Club activity has since been lost, but we were able to finish Snatch. Here it is:

Set 6 - Ghost Ridin': Duke Style

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    OH GOD MY VOICE IS AWFUL I HATE IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Stormwatcher on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Man, I usually just take my APC along for Snatch. A lot of armour, plenty of room for passengers and a turret-mounted machine gun with infinite ammo; what's not to love? Sure, its speed isn't anything to write home about, but it gets the job done.

It does, however, make Snatch kind of boring, so I guess it's inferior to your approach after all.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    The editing just works out so well sometimes. One part that really made me laugh was when Duke was running around for a new car with an assault rifle or a rocket launcher, and stopped in the middle of the road while a purple sportscar pulled up in front of him, and the next thing you know, you're driving said car.

I don't know why, but that really was a good part. Good set as well. Will you be able to Redo what you lost?

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Other than what we already redid, the only other thing lost was a Fight Club activity, which, to be honest, wouldn't be all that interesting to watch. It's really just the same fighting animations like 50 times over. So I don't consider it a big loss. There wasn't much commentary by either of us for it, anyway.

New set, new outfit. I made this one myself, but I'll probably go with Barbershop Duke next unless more suggestions pop up.

Set 7 - Doogie Howser, D.J.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Scuba Duke and his army of Dumbass Ninjas. Oh, the viewing pleasure.

Another good set. I really liked the explosions the drug trailers made. That was pretty cool.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Fun set and LP so far. Not sure if the head-covering gear is the way to go though. I miss Duke's sunglasses and scowl.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Don't worry, it was just for that set. I knew there would be a couple of cutscenes where he drinks or smokes and it would look ridiculous with that helmet on.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Daaaamn. Again with the serious note. Game keeps surprising me with the story. Shame about Carlos, but I figured he wouldn't last.

Hot Dog Duke was :^: though.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm going to assume the lack of replies has something to do with the sets being so long. I know an 45 minutes to an hour each is kind of a lot to sit through, but I do my best to make each video pretty self-contained so you don't feel like you have to watch an entire set at once.

Also, sorry for the various audio blips in the videos. Something about editing and compression and certain sound effects causes it. I'm not sure I can fix it, but thankfully it doesn't happen often.

Special thanks to Blain for joining me for this set.

Set 10 - Crashes and Compact Cars

Adus on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I've had assignments to focus on for the past few weeks, sorry dude. It'll be a couple more weeks before I finish up, at which point I'll try to catch up.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, you know I've been watching. I'm still quite enjoying the many faces of Duke.

Also, I thought you said the Ultor guy was unflappable? He looked pretty scared witless there for a bit.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well he did pretty good up until being held out a window. Maero definitely would have dropped him had he said no. He's not overconfident to the point of suicidal, after all.

Set 11 - Ninjaplane Holds Many Ninja

PS: Updated the image on the frontpage for more awesomeness.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well he did pretty good up until being held out a window. Maero definitely would have dropped him had he said no. He's not overconfident to the point of suicidal, after all.

Point taken. But he sure did get smart real quick.

Is there still a good chunk of story left? I notice there's only a few hoods left to get, but I didn't know if they're a measure of the story overall, or just something you get for the majority of the missions.

Also, the new OP pic is wonderful.

Darth_Mogs on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It's pretty much almost over. Probably only one more set will wrap up the main storyline.

Thanks to Donhonk for joining me this set.

Set 12 - In Which Ninja Boobs Are Briefly Discussed

There was a bonus video of some quick editing of a Mayhem activity I did earlier, but Youtube gave me the copyrighted music bullshit again (which I am calling bullshit because the song I used exists in other videos). I guess I'm surprised it hasn't popped up more often. Maybe I'll upload it to a different host later.

Edit: Hopefully this stays up. Dailymotion is meh but, oh well.

Set 12 Bonus

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xaw1x4_lets-play-saints-row-2-set-12-bonus_videogames

Adus on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for havin me! I'm so honored. *watches and cringes at own voice*

donhonk on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    Thanks for havin me! I'm so honored. *watches and cringes at own voice*

Your dulcet tones are soothing and delightful.

Also, the last rocket making the car stand up on end was pure magic. :^:

IdolNinja on