As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic Attempts Things That Are Sort of Like Art. In a Way.

SonicSonic Absentee LandlordRegistered User regular
edited June 2010 in Artist's Corner
Hey gang. As some of you know I'm working on a film crew on the coast of NC at the moment. Photos commence in no particular order:
DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0142.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0176.jpg

benpoint.jpg

debo.jpg

nathan.jpg

thecrew.jpg

Sonic on

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    hey

cool.

tynic on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Neat.

What do you do on set?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    is this a reality show about teens in tight pants?

Skelly B on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Skelly B wrote: »
    is this a reality show about teens in tight pants?

Yea, what is this movie/show about?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    LachoneusLachoneus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    that first picture is pretty awesome.

Lachoneus on
    "No women. No kids."
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Their shirts say "Sol Invictus"
    Sol Invictus ("Unconquered Sun") was the Roman state-supported sun god created by the emperor Aurelian in 274 and continued, overshadowing other Eastern cults in importance,[1]

Which has been used on roman coins and there was a festival around the winter solstice (December 25th) for the birthday of the Unconquered Sun.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    What're you guys shooting on?

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    RikRik Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you using a Red camera? Thanks for sharing these pics.

Rik on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Outer Banks I take it? Just a few hours out from my domain.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    This is the worst thread ever. Sonic needs to post more info.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    the show is about this thread, what a twist

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Sonic, I am ashamed. these are not magnificent drawings.

looks like a film about some guys jogging in some dunes? I hope you didn't make a thread just for production photos if we aren't going to actually get to see the film online.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2009
    Film production interests me greatly and I look forward to your updates :^:

bombardier on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That's not the guy from speed racer, is it? Tell me that's not the guy from speed racer!

Sublimus on
  • Options
    Pinch-a-LoafPinch-a-Loaf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That is not the guy from Speed Racer.

Pinch-a-Loaf on
  • Options
    Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Looks like it'll be a good film. I'm guessing he hasn't responded as the average day on a film set is 12 hours and it can be pretty tiring. Looks like you guys are shooting digitally if I'm to be correct. Looking forward to getting more info on it.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Iiiiiii Duuuuuunnnooooo

DSC_0138.jpgemile-hirsch02.jpg

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    of course that looks the same...if he got acid burns on his face.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    SonicSonic Absentee Landlord Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hey guys, I know there isn't a lot of info to go with these but I am under a light non-disclosure agreement. The only reason I posted that latest batch is because they were going to be made available to the public in the next couple of days anyway. More pictures are coming, but not much more info I'm afraid. We're out shooting everyday in the Jockey's Ridge sand dunes in the Outer Banks of NC. Officially I'm the Key Production Assistant, but I do a lot since it's a relatively small crew (around 25 people, including 6 principle cast members). Agent Coleman is correct, I've been working 12+ hour days (6 days a week) lugging really heavy gear around sand dunes (among other things) and I'm usually too exhausted by the end of a day to sort through photos, much less post anything. We're shooting it on a Red One and no, that isn't Emile Hirsch, but the guy looks and sounds like him to the point of being a bit creepy.

Sonic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Key PA, eh? Not too shabby, what do you want to end up doing? Or is this just a one time thing. May I ask how many days you are shooting for?

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sonic wrote: »
    Hey guys, I know there isn't a lot of info to go with these but I am under a light non-disclosure agreement. The only reason I posted that latest batch is because they were going to be made available to the public in the next couple of days anyway.

So the pictures are going to be made public with absolutely no reference to what show/movie they are of?

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    CommunistCow on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Haha, your NDA means precisely dick in the face of such intrusive investigative powers.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Finally, someone with access to google.

Sonic on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Sonic wrote: »
    Finally, someone with access to google.

What the hell were we supposed to google? +Sonic +film crew +North Carolina?
    I googled the whole Sol Invictus thing and came up with nothing.

SkellyB: You must tell us your secrets.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What the hell were we supposed to google? +Sonic +film crew +North Carolina?
    No... but oddly enough +Sol +film crew +North Carolina brings it up as the 3rd result.

More photos:
    EDIT: See below

Off day today... back at it tomorrow. Pictures shall follow.

Sonic on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    that's a lot of lights for shooting outside in the daylight. I'm assuming they're very powerful and/or close to the actors? don't mean to sound ignorant/critical, but what effect is achieved by doing that? is it to reduce the darkness caused by back-lighting with the sun? I can understand having control of light (say with reflector fills), but I'm wondering how using artificial light for a fill outside ends up looking natural.

or is it about to be evening/nighttime, and you're just setting up.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Are you shitting me?

One of the actors is named SKY KING?

SKY. KING.

I'd like to shake his parents hands, and buy them a drink, for taking two semi normal names and combining them into epic.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    srsizzy wrote: »
    that's a lot of lights for shooting outside in the daylight. I'm assuming they're very powerful and/or close to the actors? don't mean to sound ignorant/critical, but what effect is achieved by doing that? is it to reduce the darkness caused by back-lighting with the sun? I can understand having control of light (say with reflector fills), but I'm wondering how using artificial light for a fill outside ends up looking natural.

or is it about to be evening/nighttime, and you're just setting up.

Hmm, I can think of 2 possible reasons.

1) It's overcast this day, so it's a very soft light that they're getting. Also, it looks like they're bare-bulbing the 1000watt (atleast from what I can see it's a 1000 watt), so that would give them some more pronounced shadows.

OR

2) It looks like the light is pointing at the ground, and the camera is quite low as well. So I would venture a guess saying that the shot is close to the ground. They could have the light bouncing off the sand and acting like a natural bounce board to fill in the actors faces as they would probably be casting a shadow being low to the ground.

Agent Coleman on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So the film production wrapped a bit over a month ago and what a trip that was. If you're curious or interested you can see all of the production photos I took wrapped up all neat and tidy right here. There are about 184 of them.

So now I'm back to my usual freelance web design/illustration gig and when I've got the free time and motivation I work on silly things like this. It was going to be my entry for the last contest ("how far we've come", or something like that) but obviously I'm a little late.

When I was little... like really little we got to make t-shirts in school one day and for reasons I can't remember I opted for... the Batbear:
    originalbatbear.jpg

My mom dug that shirt out and showed it to me a while back and without much hesitation this popped out:
    071209batbearsketch.jpg

And now I'm up to here:
    071209batbearprogress1.jpg

Every time I color something I remember how much I lack in that department so crits, comments, advice... all welcome. Progress to follow.

Sonic on
  • Options
    ChillyChilly Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    He is missing his batbear speedo tights!

Chilly on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I feel like the cape is a little flat/lacking detail compared to the rest of the drawing.

Spice it up! It is drapery, after all - lot's of room to make interesting shapes.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    ShiboeShiboe Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I wish I was better with color as well so I could help ya out. There is definitely a loss of feeling between the pencils (which look great) and the colored version (on its way?). I imagine you had 2 ways you could have went about this: paint dramatically, overly so and hit the "serious style with hilarious context" position, or the simpler comically cute version. You seem to be working towards the former, the only things I can think of to work that as you continue:
    - avoid the muddiness, shirt for example is going that way fast, maybe too many small strokes, or just too many strokes that look like strokes and not development of form
    - push the global lighting and focus less on the local

From your past work I feel you know way more about this than I do, and this is probably just it being in the WIP state that I'm seeing things, but who knows, maybe it will help. ;D

Shiboe on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Thanks guys, there's a little more progress on the batbear, but not enough to post and he's on the back-burner now anyway.

So.

There's been something absolutely dominating my free time for the past two days. I'm sure some of you remember all the doodles and sketches of the little boy in his pajamas and cape with his monster sidekick. That was part of a comic project that never came to fruition because I could never quite figure out how I wanted to approach it, or how to deal with all the things I wanted to within' the context of just the little kid's world. Not to mention the "boy with vivid imagination and possibly imaginary sidekick" has been done before far better than I would ever be capable of. So it sat in the back of my mind stewing for the better part of 5 years. I would come back to it, doodle a little, but never come away with much more than the kid's character.

A few days ago I had a tiny revelation that finally let me crack it. I then proceeded to fill about 5 pages worth of notes and ideas and I started drawing. I've been adding more to the notebook everyday since. The story would be non-linear and jump around to different points in this person's life. That way I could still salvage the whimsical stories involving the little boy and his monster friend and base a lot of the rest on events from my own life as the boy grows older. It begins with the main character at age 25 visiting his original home town which he hasn't seen in 12 years. The home he grew up in is in disrepair, the woods he played in are bulldozed, but as he pokes around he finds little artifacts that spark a torrent of memories. Some of which contain a friend he has almost forgotten. One he, himself, isn't sure was ever real.

I call it The Life and Times of Miles King. Coming to an internets near you as I work on it in my spare time. Development and progress shall be posted here.

Like so:
    040110milesages1.jpg

050110kayleeages1.jpg
    the little text you see under the title on the sketches is a song by The Avett Brothers called "Tear down the house."

Sonic on
  • Options
    brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like where this is going.

I guess my only critique would be to have a very distinguishing feature carry over for the various Miles designs. With Kaylee you have freckles and what I can only assume is going to be red hair and green eyes, but the only feature I could catch is the eyebrows on Miles seem to stay the same.

I guess what I am saying is if it wasn't for the page layout with the title and ages, I wouldn't think they are the same person.

brokecracker on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Sounds like Coro Kaufman's transient man plus Forrest Gump.

Can't wait to see it.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    just a crit on layout, flip it horizontal so that it goes from young to old.
    otherise cool (still a little too much Nathan Drake :) ... maybe)

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I seriously like where this is going.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Coro Kaufman's transient man
    Wow, that is one wild graphic novel. :shock: I'm relieved that it isn't really close to what I'll be doing though, I hate it when that happens.

Brokecracker: That's a good point, I'll see what I can do about resemblances.

WCK: I'm really not concerned about a Nathan Drake comparison. I highly doubt that's the first thing that will cross people's minds. Besides Drake's look is pretty cookie cutter when you get down to it. And Miles is supposed to look like a very average dude.

Breaking from this for just a moment, I did one of those progression charts ala Beavotron and Iruka:

Note: The is one tiny little NSFW image at the very bottom.

progress1.jpg

Its a pretty cool little exercise. I recommend it.

Sonic on