As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Like Comics, Except The Pictures Move: Movies, Games, and Television

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So my I saw this as an event one of my friends is attending.
    Please join us this Thursday, 11/19, in BTSU 207 for a talk by Mark Bernard, American Culture Studies Ph.D. candidate!

“The Golden Avenger and the Dark Knight: Superheroes and National Security Cinema”

The 2008 summer movie season was bookended by the blockbuster successes of two superhero movies: Iron Man (Jon Favreau, 2008) and The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008). In addition scoring a combined worldwide gross of over a billion and a half dollars, these films were also showered with critical praise that heralded the maturation of the superhero movie genre.

Unfortunately absent from many of the discussions surrounding these films are their insidious ties to – and oftentimes endorsement of – the United States’s National Security policies. Mark Bernard will explore these connections by contextualizing the films within the genre of “National Security Cinema,” films that justify homeland security policies and military action abroad by depicting the US as vulnerable and under attack.

I'll have to ask her what was actually said, but I found it an interesting prompt. I can kinda see the connection that could be done with Iron Man, but Dark Knight? Not sure. What do you all think?

You punch your friend in the fucking head if he believes any of that crap that person auditioning for a job spouts.

The whole point of Iron Man is he quits making weapons after having nearly died from them himself. And then he goes and kills the terrorists, how can you spin that as bad, really?

Dark Knight had some weak wiretapping analogy with the phones being sonars but it wasn't like Tony Bedard having Superman in Countdown sitting in the Daily Planet whining about Global Warming while Amazons are killing people in DC. THAT was over the top with its politics.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Idris Elba, aka Stringer Bell, aka Charles Minor, has been cast as Heimdall in the Thor movie.

Hmmmm. A step up from Obsessed at least.

I guess Omar or McNulty might be a frost giant then?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Please join us this Thursday, 11/19, in BTSU 207 for a talk by Mark Bernard, American Culture Studies Ph.D. candidate!

“The Golden Avenger and the Dark Knight: Superheroes and National Security Cinema”

The 2008 summer movie season was bookended by the blockbuster successes of two superhero movies: Iron Man (Jon Favreau, 2008) and The Dark Knight (Christopher Nolan, 2008). In addition scoring a combined worldwide gross of over a billion and a half dollars, these films were also showered with critical praise that heralded the maturation of the superhero movie genre.

Unfortunately absent from many of the discussions surrounding these films are their insidious ties to – and oftentimes endorsement of – the United States’s National Security policies. Mark Bernard will explore these connections by contextualizing the films within the genre of “National Security Cinema,” films that justify homeland security policies and military action abroad by depicting the US as vulnerable and under attack.

I'll have to ask her what was actually said, but I found it an interesting prompt. I can kinda see the connection that could be done with Iron Man, but Dark Knight? Not sure. What do you all think?

You punch your friend in the fucking head if he believes any of that crap that person auditioning for a job spouts.

The whole point of Iron Man is he quits making weapons after having nearly died from them himself. And then he goes and kills the terrorists, how can you spin that as bad, really?

Dark Knight had some weak wiretapping analogy with the phones being sonars but it wasn't like Tony Bedard having Superman in Countdown sitting in the Daily Planet whining about Global Warming while Amazons are killing people in DC. THAT was over the top with its politics.

Iron Man was cheesy in that he flew out to fight the military equivalent of cockroaches, sand people with guns. Hes an American hero not the afghanistan warrior.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    stringer bell! fuck yes! the thor movie is going to be a motherfucking trip.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    "the golden avenger"? has anyone ever called iron man that?

sounds more like the sentry

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Iron Man was cheesy in that he flew out to fight the military equivalent of cockroaches, sand people with guns. Hes an American hero not the afghanistan warrior.

You gotta start somewhere. And he had a reason to fight the jawas, as they were using his weapons.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    jawas aren't sand people!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I need to rewatch Star Wars, because I am completely screwing up analogies left and right when I use them. It's like lightswords and the K-wings are really messing with what I remember ADT-ADT crawlers being.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Servo wrote: »
    "the golden avenger"? has anyone ever called iron man that?

sounds more like the sentry

he used to be way back in the 60's

when he was honkin' big old gold robot dealie

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pretty sure he's only being called the Golden Avenger because of the contrast with the Dark Knight which, I guess, is supposed to make his observation about their surprising commonalities seem all the more insightful.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yes but also because that is what he was called

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Notable aliases: Iron Knight, Invincible Iron Man, Armored Avenger, Iron Avenger

Those nicknames are a lot more common. "Golden Avenger" is a lot less common, and I wouldn't be surprised if this guy happened to use it in the title of his presentation by simple coincidence.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I have never, ever, ever heard anyone refer to Iron Man as the Golden Avenger before this guy.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Notable aliases: Iron Knight, Invincible Iron Man, Armored Avenger, Iron Avenger

Those nicknames are a lot more common. "Golden Avenger" is a lot less common, and I wouldn't be surprised if this guy happened to use it in the title of his presentation by simple coincidence.

The Iron Knight? Isn't that the robot Jedi in the Star Wars comics? I can't remember that ever really being used for Stark.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I have never, ever, ever heard anyone refer to Iron Man as the Golden Avenger before this guy.

I did a google search and most of the results were for this one-shot from '08.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    With Anthony Hopkins taking Blessed's place as Odin, it is rumored that the long time Branagh collaborator will be playing the role of Volstagg instead. But that's if he isn't nixed from the film altogether. I don't imagine Kenneth Branagh would do that to his long time friend, but nothing is certain.

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2009/10/30/with-anthony-hopkins-as-odin-is-brian-blessed-still-in-thor/

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ray Stevenson would make a good Heimdall instead of Volstagg, that kind of "leave me be while I take watch" attitude.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Turtles Forever tomorrow guys!

MastaP on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    And Man oh man it was perfect. It ranks up there with JLU as one of the best cartoon endings of all time.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    SaphSaph Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ray Stevenson would make a good Heimdall instead of Volstagg, that kind of "leave me be while I take watch" attitude.
    Idris Elba is playing Heimdall. Which is why there is a massive uproar on SuperHeroHype about black actors taking white roles.

Saph on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I know. That is why I said Stevenson should be Heimdall instead of being cast as Volstagg.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Warner Bros put out animated Green Lantern and Batman/Superman movies earlier this year - are they worth renting?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Green Lantern is mixed, but Superman/Batman is universally panned.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not universally, but it was indeed terrible.

Wonder Woman is my favorite so far.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Loeb's opinion of his own work doesn't count.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Saph wrote: »
    Idris Elba is playing Heimdall. Which is why there is a massive uproar on SuperHeroHype about black actors taking white roles.

To be reasonable, Elba has that Heimdall stare down to an art form

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Warner Bros put out animated Green Lantern and Batman/Superman movies earlier this year - are they worth renting?

If you like Dragonball Z, you'll like the Green Lantern movie. And Batman/Superman has better animation than most of the movies and really looks like the original comic brought to life. But the storyline is pretty weak.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    io9 has more pictures of the Hawkman, Dr. Fate, and Stargirl from Smallville, check them out at the link:

http://io9.com/5412728/say-hello-to-smallvilles-veteran-superheroes

The only thing I don't care for is Stargirl's mask, but I can get over it.

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    io9 has more pictures of the Hawkman, Dr. Fate, and Stargirl from Smallville, check them out at the link:

http://io9.com/5412728/say-hello-to-smallvilles-veteran-superheroes

The only thing I don't care for is Stargirl's mask, but I can get over it.

I'm surprised that they went with such traditional outfits after altering everyone else's looks.

And yes, Star Girl looks silly. Her mask looks bulbous.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did you see the teaser? They also showed shots of Sandman and Green Lantern (Allen Scott).

Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I meant after altering Green Arrow and the Legion's looks.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2009
    wow they look terrible

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    ExAzraelExAzrael Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

If you like Dragonball Z, you'll like the Green Lantern movie. And Batman/Superman has better animation than most of the movies and really looks like the original comic brought to life. But the storyline is pretty weak.

I like to think that Green Lantern's movie had a much better plot than "OMG HE IS POWERING UP NOW OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT POWER LEVEL".

I actually found Superman/Batman's animation style to be rather Lulzy at points, but otherwise it was solid and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially Metallo. Do not anger Dr. Cox.

ExAzrael on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Green Lantern's first half was really promising. The final battle was the biggest letdown, but on the whole it suffered the most from Hal's thin characterization.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    hnn..I agree. they could have done more to flesh out Hal's personality. But I'm a big Hal fan so I already knew his personality going in.

I was kinda hoping to see him attack people with jets.

ExAzrael on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    He pretty much goes from being a test pilot who's never seen an alien to saving the universe without demonstrating shock, disbelief, or really any strong emotional reaction in between.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's the Hal Jordan we all know and love!

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ha, you've got me there.

Sinestro was pretty well done, though.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well he is "the man without fear".

So It'd make sense his reaction would be "....huh."

ExAzrael on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That's Daredevil.

And bravery doesn't (and shouldn't) entail unflappable stoicism. At the very least they should've taken him further in that direction and made a point of highlighting how cool he is under pressure and his flip attitude to alien civilizations and apocalyptic battles in general.

Robos A Go Go on
This discussion has been closed.