As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Gaming - What have I missed?

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Single player games I have enjoyed recently:

Crysis
    All of Orange Box (Portal, HL2 and episodes 1 and 2)
    Mass Effect

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines and Fallout 3 hands down my choices.

Also Dark Messiah is pretty great.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Crysis is the single best FPS released in the past few years, especially when compared to the likes of CoD4 or Bioshock. Stalker is pretty good too, but make sure you patch it up. And you do have HL2 and it's episodes, right? Because they're on sale which ends today

If you liked Heroes of Might and Magic back in the day, I'd strongly recomend getting the new Kings Bounty which came out last year. It's a turn based strategy game where you fight battles with units you recruit on a grid. And it has some neat RPG aspects.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Admittedly, it did suffer a bit from this:

249139567_3Pqsk-L-2.jpg

But I played through it twice and loved it just the same. Excellent in my book, and the better your computer, the more you're rewarded.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Turn based strategy:
    King's Bounty: The Legend - Pretty engaging single player
    Heroes 5: Tribes of the East (stand alone expansion) - This is better played in custom game/skirmish imo if you are not playing against a human.

FPS:
    Prey - Single player is real good imo, only really annoying thing is you can't actually die.
    Crysis + Warhead - were pretty fun, but if you didn't like Far Cry, I doubt you'll like them. They play almost exactly the same.

Platformer:
    Trine - I can only tell you impressions from playing the demo, but it seemed like a solid and fun platformer.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    Okay so gta iv is a fucking fiasco. That aside it runs and isn't HIDEOUS but I find the quality at which it runs to be disappointing.

It also took over a fucking hour to install when you count the nonsense I had to download install sign up for etc. For fucks sakes this is why people play games on consoles now. Seriously.

Bioshock is really good. It came with Oblivion which I haven't installed yet but likely will eventually.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    bioshock is cool as hell. awesome ass visuals and design.

Crysis is cool as hell

Prey will have you wishing 3drealms wasn't stupid and finished duke nukem

that is about it.

Sanius on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    Okay so gta iv is a fucking fiasco. That aside it runs and isn't HIDEOUS but I find the quality at which it runs to be disappointing.

It also took over a fucking hour to install when you count the nonsense I had to download install sign up for etc. For fucks sakes this is why people play games on consoles now. Seriously.

Bioshock is really good. It came with Oblivion which I haven't installed yet but likely will eventually.

GTAIV is widely known as a bad port, so that might be some of the problem.

Oblivion is GOOD TIMES, and I highly advise you install it relatively quickly. I also highly advise you shell out the extra money for Shivering Isles, which is a fun romp through a very VERY pretty world. Far prettier than Oblivion's.

I won't spoil it, but I thought I got my money's worth during the first scene in the Shivering Isles world.

You will also want to become somewhat familiar with mods, and how they work. They can turn what you might consider average into something you consider really cool. If you have a problem with some part of the game, chances are someone's made a mod to attempt to fix that problem. There WAS an Oblivion Mod thread SOMEWHERE, you might try asking in the Elder Scrolls thread, my search-fu is weak tonight.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I really wanted to suggest a few title, but the two that immediate come to mind are RTS games: Company of Heroes, World in Conflict. Oblivion is good, but mostly because of the large variety of mods, I would say.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mirror's Edge is definitely worth a try. It's pretty cheap by now, and if you do end up getting the hang of it, you will really like it.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Tropico 3 is going to come out soon, and in my opinion, looks damn promising in the city-building genre.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Prey - Single player is re
    Yo, TelMarine. I'm real happy for you, I'mma letchu finish, but Valve made the best portal shooter of all time. Of all time!

Seriously, though, skip Prey unless you have absolutely nothing better to play. 95% of the content of interest in that game is shown in the first half hour, and, consequently, is in the demo. The demo's pretty awesome, though. You might want to play that. But at the end of it, you'll be thinking about how totally rocking awesome it'll be when the puzzles start getting deeper and the enemies get craftier and the story picks up. None of that happens. Ever. You get exactly what happens in the demo repeatedly over the next 6 hours. If anything, the game gets shallower as it goes along.

I also forget about console-centric multiplatform releases at times. Batman is awesome. Assassin's Creed is awesome, if divisive. Bionic Commando: Rearmed is awesome. The other new Bionic Commando is awesome, assuming you aren't a pansy wuss. Are you a pansy wuss? Really, anything by Capcom back to and including Devil May Cry 4 is surprisingly great on the PC. Also, buy Devil May Cry 4. It's awesome.

And now I finally own Crysis thanks to you dicks and Valve's devilshop.

Monger on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ONE OF US

ONE OF US

PS Don't run Crysis on balls out max everything. It caused my friend's scary quad core processor 6 gb ram dual graphix card monstar to chug. I don't think we'll see a computer that can legitimately run Crysis at maximum for another few years.

Fortunately, Warhead somehow looks better on max while running smoother. Yay optimization!

Robman on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So Pheez. You played Galactic Civilizations II yet? Have you played the expansions? If not, you really need to check them out.

Drake on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    ONE OF US

ONE OF US

PS Don't run Crysis on balls out max everything. It caused my friend's scary quad core processor 6 gb ram dual graphix card monstar to chug. I don't think we'll see a computer that can legitimately run Crysis at maximum for another few years.

Fortunately, Warhead somehow looks better on max while running smoother. Yay optimization!

I've only got a dual core, but I can max out quite a few of the settings. I think textures is probably the biggest hurdle, the rest you can often max out on a good system (varies). Probably keep shadows to medium, anything else that you can't set to V. High you can probably set to High, but experiment yourself to see.

Also, get Natural mod. I mean it. Seriously. Like right now.

subedii on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Everything that was listed in the last page pretty much. If you do want to play Dark Messiah, just download the demo with the mod {or maybe it was just a cheat} that opens up a playground level of sorts. You'll save yourself money and have better time. I don't want to sound like a douche, but the only fun part about that game were the physics.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Drake wrote: »
    So Pheez. You played Galactic Civilizations II yet? Have you played the expansions? If not, you really need to check them out.

I thought we all hated Stardock because of Glen Beck? Or something? I dunno, I forget.

Oh hey, PC games? I saw Mass Effect mentioned here, so I'll just go ahead and assume you don't have a 360, and suggest Gears of War as well, while we're talking about ports.

What about Left 4 dead? I know you said no multi-fps's but it's still fun, regardless.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Iji
    Dwarf Fortress
    DoomRL
    Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
    Spelunky

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

I thought we all hated Stardock because of Glen Beck? Or something? I dunno, I forget.

No, that's stupid. Stardock makes good games so people should buy them.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Neva wrote: »
    Everything that was listed in the last page pretty much. If you do want to play Dark Messiah, just download the demo with the mod {or maybe it was just a cheat} that opens up a playground level of sorts. You'll save yourself money and have better time. I don't want to sound like a douche, but the only fun part about that game were the physics.
    I disagree wholeheartedly. That game was a blast, excluding the atrocious voicing. Still one of the best first person melee games that money can buy.
    ONE OF US

ONE OF US
    I'm just playing this stupid game for context!

It's not like I'm having fun with it or anything.

Monger on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
    Galactic Civilizations II
    Sins of a Solar Empire

On Steam:
    Assassin's Creed
    Audiosurf
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Bioshock
    Braid
    Civilization IV
    Crysis and Crysis: Warhead
    Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
    Dead Space
    Empire: Total War
    Freedom Force and Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Mirror's Edge
    Overlord
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
    Sword of the Stars
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    Zeno Clash

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

No, that's stupid. Stardock makes good games so people should buy them.

Exactly. Wardell can do whatever he likes for whatever reason. He can have his politics. The strident quest for ideological purity in D&D gets on my fucking nerves some times. "Gabe Newell watches Fox News? Guess I can't use Steam anymore hurfdurfgraahk." It's not like Wardell is piloting Predators over Pakistan or something.

And even if he was bombing Afghan villages, I'd still play GalCiv II, because it's that fucking good.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    ONE OF US

ONE OF US

I've only got a dual core, but I can max out quite a few of the settings. I think textures is probably the biggest hurdle, the rest you can often max out on a good system (varies). Probably keep shadows to medium, anything else that you can't set to V. High you can probably set to High, but experiment yourself to see.

The number 1 thing to keep performance at reasonable levels in crysis is to not use AA. Other than that, the shaders and motion blur are also some of the biggest power hogs

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    ONE OF US

ONE OF US

The number 1 thing to keep performance at reasonable levels in crysis is to not use AA. Other than that, the shaders and motion blur are also some of the biggest power hogs

The thing about motion blur is that although it's a power hog and can take away from frame rate, it also makes things look smoother in motion. So you really want to experiment with that one to see which one seems "smoother" to you, more frames or more motion blur.

subedii on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Any reason to play this over Assault on Dark Athena?

I got a chunk of the way through the original on the Xbox, and enjoyed it, but when they announced the remake/sequel, I decided to wait for that. It's on my list of games to play when I get a new PC.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    LewieP wrote: »

Any reason to play this over Assault on Dark Athena?

I got a chunk of the way through the original on the Xbox, and enjoyed it, but when they announced the remake/sequel, I decided to wait for that. It's on my list of games to play when I get a new PC.
    I haven't played Dark Athena (3 install limit turns me off), but I hear that the combat upgrades and subsequent balancing break a lot of things in its version of Butcher Bay.

Butcher Bay is fantastic, though. I don't know how I forgot about it.

Monger on
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2009
    I know you guys suggesting rtses are doing so with the best intentions but there is less than zero chance I'll play a single one of em.

I've found it in my heart to love gta iv despite its best efforts. The third patch helps.

Bioshock is also making me smile lots. Though it's not very open ended. I get that everyone is so impressed by the "morality" of the thing but it's really not all that profound, it's just a very stylishly presented gameplay mechanic. Still. Stylish and fun.

I haven't installed oblivion yet. I remember being mildly intrigued by gal civ ii though. What's that like

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kind of like Civ, but in space. And you can build your own units. And the different races actually have useful strengths and weaknesses. And most importantly really really good AI

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I know you guys suggesting rtses are doing so with the best intentions but there is less than zero chance I'll play a single one of em.

I've found it in my heart to love gta iv despite its best efforts. The third patch helps.

Bioshock is also making me smile lots. Though it's not very open ended. I get that everyone is so impressed by the "morality" of the thing but it's really not all that profound, it's just a very stylishly presented gameplay mechanic. Still. Stylish and fun.

I haven't installed oblivion yet. I remember being mildly intrigued by gal civ ii though. What's that like

Ahahahahhaahahah oh my god he has to play Fallout 3, Oblivion and Stalker

Kiss goodbye to your social life man, it's dead for the next six months.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I don't know, unless you're really addicted to Bethsda games, FO3 and Oblivion is probably overkill. They're practically the same game

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bencelotbencelot Sydney AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Heroes of Newerth is great.. it's pretty new though. Plenty of classics to catch up on first.. Smash out the HL2 series.. get the orange box if you want value. :)

bencelot on
    Check out this game I made: Mutant Factions
  • Options
    edited October 2009

A. No one was impressed by the morality mechanic in Bioshock. It was easily the weakest part of the game, and generally the first thing to be criticized any time the discussion comes up. The idea itself isn't bad. It's unanimous, including Levine, that the execution was lacking.

B. Do not play Oblivion without mods. Swing by the Elder Scrolls thread first.

C. If you're set on doing Fallout 3 (I'm not a fan of Fallout 3), you will want a large fucking break between it and Oblivion.

Monger on
  • Options
    vader111vader111 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So Pheez. You played Sword of the Stars yet? Have you played the expansions? If not, you really need to check them out.

Fix'd. :P

If don't know what SOTS is, I suggest checking out this thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=88573.

In a nutshell, it's Civ in space but with 3D star maps, and fantastically diverse races. You also get to design your own ships, and the combat is real time tactical - you have full control over all your units. The research aspect is really well handled, too. Diplomacy is a bit meh compared to something like GalCiv II, but if you're after combat there really isn't a deeper or more fun 4x game.

It's available for a reasonable price here: http://www.impulsedriven.com/sotsult.
    That includes the expansions - and if you do pick it up, I would really suggest getting the Argos Naval Yard DLC as well. It's basically another expansion.

EDIT: If you haven't played the HL2 episodes, Steam's weekend half-off sale on everything Half-Life seems to still be on.

vader111 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I remember being mildly intrigued by gal civ ii though. What's that like

It's awesome. That's what it's like. If you like space opera sci fi (Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, yadda yadda) and you like Civ style gameplay (which you do) this is a no fail fail game for you. Customizable races, variable victory conditions, customizable fleets, story driven single player campaigns, traditional "sandbox" 4X gameplay, lots of mods for customization, etc. etc. etc. I could go on forever. If you like Civ IV and you like blowing shit up in outer space with your race of death merchant super spies in frictionless pants (or whatever you feel like coming up with) then this game is for you.

Drake on
  • Options
    PandionPandion Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Would you kindly buy Bioshock.

Mass Effect has been bandied about for good reason as well.

Pandion on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It may be worth mentioning that currently Galactic Civilizations 2 does NOT work with win7. Well, actually GalCiv2 and DarkAvatar do, but none of the other expansions work.

Sins of Solar Empire still works tho.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The Orange Box
    The Witcher
    STALKER

Mass Effect and BioShock are pretty cool too.

Alegis on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bioshock's all atmosphere, too. It has a cool story and an amazing environment. I also get a kick out of the entire thing basically taking the piss out of Ayn Rand and those idiotic "objectivists" that've popped up around her awful books.

But then, towards the end, the story pulls something so cliche and Hollywood that I put it down in disgust. Also, the gameplay's insultingly easy and rather bland.

Definitely worth a play through, but you'd probably be better playing it on 360 than a laptop, if that's an option.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'd recommend getting Bioshock on a console rather than PC because, well, you can return it when you're done. It isn't really something you'd play more than once, or maybe twice, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the first time around is amazing, but after that....not so much. Especially given the very forgiving mechanic.

And unlike System Shock 2, which had a lot of replay value, I haven't heard of much of a PC mod community for Bioshock...

Synthesis on
  • Options
    cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Kris_xK wrote: »
    It may be worth mentioning that currently Galactic Civilizations 2 does NOT work with win7. Well, actually GalCiv2 and DarkAvatar do, but none of the other expansions work.

Sins of Solar Empire still works tho.

Is that the case with windows 7 in its entirety, or just certain video card drivers under windows 7? I own all those games and will inevitably end up with windows 7 so...

cliffski on