As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chris Jericho] Also occasionally about the Big Bad Booty Daddy!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Cena is basically Hogan without the ego. He's apparently a dream to work with and is a PR man's wet dream. He's got extremely good comedic timing and comes off as very intelligent in non wrestling interviews. He's a legendary hard worker and you have to look hard to find anyone who will say a bad word about him.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Kyougu wrote: »
    You know who's awesome? The Miz.

Career making promo last night. Here it is for anyone who missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_ggC34eV2w&feature=player_embedded

Wow. That was some really good stuff.

I'm liking The Miz more and more as time goes by. You can tell the fans are warming up to him even though he's supposed to be a heel. When the majority of the crowd is doing your catchphrase with you, you've got something good going.

Man, this guy used to be someone I'd see on Real World/Road Rules crossovers over and over.

Now he's this awesome thing. Wow.

Lux on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    You guys saying that Rocky and Cena can't wrestle don't know a god damn thing.
    But that's a much longer argument about WWF/E style wrestling that I don't have time to type.

Not enough damn lime in the world.

Professional Wrestling is not Olympic Wrestling. Not every wrestler needs to be able to bust out 8 supplexes in a row or know 1001 submission holds or being able to do 540 flips to be considered good wrestlers. It's all about capturing the drama in the ring, reacting to the crowd and telling a story. Both The Rock and Cena are good at doing all that.

I hate to sound like an echo chamber but I agree with Kyougu. The emotion in the ring is always what it has been about. Not the moves.

Look at Ultimate Warrior vs Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold (He is a fantastic wrestler but for the sake of argument) vs The Rock, or the combo of Hogan vs The Rock.

I agree that its about telling a story and emotion...none of which Cena has delivered for me any sort of consistant basis. How often does he work the arm or neck before going for the STF?...how about doing anything besides punches or kicks before his go home sequence....thats not telling a story. And your point about the Rock and Hogan just reinforces it to me. When they made their big dramatic face comback you got excited about it. With Cena its just waiting through the match for him to hit the Attitude Adjustment. I am not saying he is incapable of good matches with quality opponents...but your top guy should be able to carry a weaker opponent to an exciting match. I have never seen Cena display this ability. Cena to me is and always will be Hogan without a character that is engaging enough to make me care.

Edit... again I have to say it has never been about the man himself...just his character and the way his matches are booked. I think Cena COULD wrestle and COULD be a compelling figure head for the company. The current writing and wrestling direction on the program just highlights his weaknesses and does nothing to accentuate his strengths.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    What was the chicken thing Miz was talking about?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I still don't get why Orton was so pissed

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Also a Cena/Goldust tag team would be perfect

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

I think Kofi jumped too soon for the RKO.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I didn't even notice.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Me either until Orton got all pissy.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I thought the stupid stupid stuff was just in character

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Remember when Kennedy botched Orton upon Kennedy's return?

It was a backdrop suplex. And Orton got in his face, in the ring, about it.

He landed on Randy's bad collarbone which I can understand him getting pissed off.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yes but you could not really, if at all, notice that botch and there was no injury to either party and very little risk of injury.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Still Kennedy was told to be more careful and when he nearly injures a main eventer on his big return, it makes him look bad.

Really, really bad.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010

He apparently rubbed some people the wrong way in the locker room early on/ standard rookie hazing.. It was sort of a worked shoot. JBL gave him crap for spilling chicken on a refs gear. But then JBL considered it his job to give everyone new crap in those days.

Hawkstone on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yes but you could not really, if at all, notice that botch and there was no injury to either party and very little risk of injury.

Looked just like in character, though Orton has notoriously been kind of a dick. Though I actually like that about Orton (It kind of reminds me of stone cold, though I don't know if stone cold was disliked in the locker room).

Holy shit thats sheamus? I haven't watched wrestling in a long time, guy looks like a more ripped Damian Lewis with fucked up hair.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hawkstone wrote: »

He apparently rubbed some people the wrong way in the locker room early on/ standard rookie hazing.. It was sort of a worked shoot. JBL gave him crap for spilling chicken on a refs gear. But then JBL considered it his job to give everyone new crap in those days.

Wasn't JBL known for doing some pretty borderline rape shit with the new guys? I just recall stories of some pretty sick frat boy shit he was involved in.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Pretty much....He and Holly set an new standard for poor treatment of noobs.

Hawkstone on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

Edge's book has a few stories.

One as such is breaking off toothpicks in a car key lock. (not sure if it's his story or not)

Dick moves like that.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

One as such is breaking off toothpicks in a car key lock. (not sure if it's his story or not)

Dick moves like that.

I heard things about tea bagging or wiping shit on peoples gear. A lot worse then tooth picks in car locks (though that could potentially make a guy late way to be an asshole JBL).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Preacher wrote: »

Dick moves like that.

I heard things about tea bagging or wiping shit on peoples gear. A lot worse then tooth picks in car locks (though that could potentially make a guy late way to be an asshole JBL).

Well I wasn't going to go THAT deep into it but looks like you covered it well enough.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    X-Pac took a dump in Sunny's gym bag once.

I love that story.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Orton took a dump in a diva search girls bag.

Amy I think?

The one with JBL around early 2005.

THEPAIN73 on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    There's also the ref that quit because he upgraded his airplane tickets to first class and ended up getting tons of shit from wrestlers afterwards.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2010

I think Kofi jumped too soon for the RKO.
    I think he actually didn't jump or jumped too late. Looks like Kofi's chin hit before Orton's elbow/arm.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think Orton is pissed because Kofi got up facing him and didn't allow him to "viper up" the finish. He even tries to push him so that he faces away, but Kofi just turns back around.

astrobstrd on
    Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I thought it was because Orton was going for the punt to the head, but Kofi kept on getting up, even when Orton tried shoving him to the ground again. Also I believe after he wins you can see him mouth "He fucked up"

dclee on
  • Options
    KongoKongo Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Y'know, I honestly just thought that Orton was telling Kofi he was stupid to think he had a chance (and to not realize Legacy was still cohesive). Ah well...

Kongo on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Its a shame because Orton and Kofi were meshing so well for a while. If this stops the fued I'll be a little disappointed.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It won't stop anything, but it isn't the first time Kofi's messed up during major spotlight time on RAW. Although that wasn't anything you would even notice unless you were looking for it. I barely caught it and just considered it back and forth between two in ring characters.

I like Kofi but he's been sloppier than before as of late, I don't know if it's just jitters from now being toward the top of the heap on RAW or what, but its bad enough I noticed it so I'm sure I am not the only one.

As for the rest of RAW, another episode where Santino, Jericho, and the Miz are the redeeming bits. The Miz is now officially Jericho Jr., damn that was a hot promo. It made me half care about MVP again!

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Orton took a dump in a diva search girls bag.

Amy I think?

The one with JBL around early 2005.

Amy Weber, yet. I remember her...
    :winky:

As I understand it, that was an exaggeration of what happened. He just poured out a whole bunch of that oil all the wrestlers use to gleam into her bag. Just as inconveniencing, not quite as gross. I think it was during their last big tour in Japan. Oh, and apparently someone gave her picture to some guys who were making phone sex flyers or something? I dunno. I remember being sad, because she never really wrestled but she was still much cuter than most women in wrestling, including the other eye candy.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So apparently Orton got in an altercation with some teenage fan at a house show.

Legacy tried to interfere in Orton's behalf, but the kid took care of them easily enough.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It won't stop anything, but it isn't the first time Kofi's messed up during major spotlight time on RAW. Although that wasn't anything you would even notice unless you were looking for it. I barely caught it and just considered it back and forth between two in ring characters.

I like Kofi but he's been sloppier than before as of late, I don't know if it's just jitters from now being toward the top of the heap on RAW or what, but its bad enough I noticed it so I'm sure I am not the only one.

I would like to think that but either Orton is a perfectionist or the man has severe anger issues. I remember he has almost come to blows suddenly on TV before catching himself. The most blatent of these reactions was when Kennedy botched the suplex. Orton sat up quickly and spun around with a closed fist and came close to clocking Kennedy in the face.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember orton doing that before. But honestly, before I knew it was a botched move I thought he was just doing some kind of flail/swing to sell the move in a really weird way. It just didn't look like he was actually aiming to punch Kennedy, from what I remember.

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited January 2010

As for the rest of RAW, another episode where Santino, Jericho, and the Miz are the redeeming bits. The Miz is now officially Jericho Jr., damn that was a hot promo. It made me half care about MVP again!

Kofi and Orton (they both have to help so I'm not sure who exactly is to blame) have botched the SOS in both of their last 2 matches

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This is true.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    "I hear Miz cut a promo on me last night on Raw. Heard he called me a dinosaur-he is correct, I am down here in the tar pits in Cabo right now using my wireless as I look over sea of Cortez-Dino heaven- where an old wrestler should be and he is right where a young wrestler with a great future should be-cutting a promo on me in front of large crowd. Go get 'em kid, because I am-no joking whatsoever-pulling for you"

:D

QuickSnap on
    6rceun58332p.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    I remember orton doing that before. But honestly, before I knew it was a botched move I thought he was just doing some kind of flail/swing to sell the move in a really weird way. It just didn't look like he was actually aiming to punch Kennedy, from what I remember.

When I get home I'll try to find it on youtube. It looked to me he was going to deck Kennedy. He stopped the swing when he finally spun to face him and saw Kennedy rolling on the mat holding his wrist.

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, that JBL quote made me like him just a bit more.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I think what Orton was trying to do was aim for where he thought Kennedy's head would be and just missed because there was nothing there. It still works, IMO for selling a move too because after that he just kinda falls over and looks hurt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISfbXw5wojM

KurnDerak on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    You guys saying that Rocky and Cena can't wrestle don't know a god damn thing.
    But that's a much longer argument about WWF/E style wrestling that I don't have time to type.

Not enough damn lime in the world.

Professional Wrestling is not Olympic Wrestling. Not every wrestler needs to be able to bust out 8 supplexes in a row or know 1001 submission holds or being able to do 540 flips to be considered good wrestlers. It's all about capturing the drama in the ring, reacting to the crowd and telling a story. Both The Rock and Cena are good at doing all that.

I hate to sound like an echo chamber but I agree with Kyougu. The emotion in the ring is always what it has been about. Not the moves.

Look at Ultimate Warrior vs Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold (He is a fantastic wrestler but for the sake of argument) vs The Rock, or the combo of Hogan vs The Rock.

I agree that its about telling a story and emotion...none of which Cena has delivered for me any sort of consistant basis. How often does he work the arm or neck before going for the STF?...how about doing anything besides punches or kicks before his go home sequence....thats not telling a story. And your point about the Rock and Hogan just reinforces it to me. When they made their big dramatic face comback you got excited about it. With Cena its just waiting through the match for him to hit the Attitude Adjustment. I am not saying he is incapable of good matches with quality opponents...but your top guy should be able to carry a weaker opponent to an exciting match. I have never seen Cena display this ability. Cena to me is and always will be Hogan without a character that is engaging enough to make me care.

Edit... again I have to say it has never been about the man himself...just his character and the way his matches are booked. I think Cena COULD wrestle and COULD be a compelling figure head for the company. The current writing and wrestling direction on the program just highlights his weaknesses and does nothing to accentuate his strengths.

Umaga, Lashley, and Khali say hi.

And working a body part isn't the only way to tell a story in the ring. Cena knows how to work a dramatic wrestling match. He's not a technical god but he's not anywhere close to bad, either.

LockedOnTarget on