As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age: Origins: There may be dragons... and rats, too!

• Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So in Redcliffe:
    This has probably been asked before, but the zombies keep coming. I've cleared the zombies by Ser Perth and by the Chantry and they won't stop coming. Is there something that I'm missing?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maz- wrote: »
    I think Dragon Age seriously fucked up my PC. At random points during the game, my laptop just shuts itself off. When I restart it, it often shuts itself off AGAIN, and only after several tries does it reach the desktop.
    Anyone know what I can do?

Sounds like a heat issue. Easy fixes for that is to try making sure it has good ventilation, use canned air, maybe even bring in a fan, etc.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOW THE ELF LOVES ME

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I JUST WANT TO TALK TO YOU PEOPLE I DON'T WANT SEX

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    I think Dragon Age seriously fucked up my PC. At random points during the game, my laptop just shuts itself off. When I restart it, it often shuts itself off AGAIN, and only after several tries does it reach the desktop.

Sounds like a heat issue. Easy fixes for that is to try making sure it has good ventilation, use canned air, maybe even bring in a fan, etc.

Well, kinda hard to do when my laptop sits on my desk..any tips?

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOW THE ELF LOVES ME

Seriously. What ever happened to normal conversation? I don't want to bang all my party members I would rather just have conversation and understand their POV.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    CreedikiCreediki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just got Sten out of his cage at Lothering playing a Human Noble Fighter S/S on Hard. I love the dialogue options and the banter. My problem is I can't kick Alistar out of the party on this first playthrough so I'm thinking of restarting as a Human Noble Rogue. I'm playing a fairly hard-minded but noble.. ish guy anyway.

Playing hard I gave up on the gambit system as soon as I got inside the tower. It's pause and micromanage each battle.

Going rogue.. are daggers bugged late game?

Bug wise, I was seeing crashes in dialogue randomly, and a consistent crash in the middle of the first battle outside the Tower of Ishal. Both went away when I went from 2xAA to 0.

Creediki on
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome

"The most noble fate a man can endure is to place his own mortal body between his loved home and the war's desolation." - Heinlein
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998051

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ZooberZoober Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Clean the vents of your laptop. Prop it up on some post-it's or something else to give it enough air circulation underneath to prevent overheating. Most laptops also have a way to force the fans to run at full while it's running, so see if that's possible with yours.

Zoober on
    ~Blarg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Great, and now the game doesn't start at all. After I click "play" on the launcher, the screen goes black as if the game is starting, but then it crashes. Installed the patch, but that didn't help either.
    I've never had to so many problems with a PC game -.-

Maz- on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Has this been posted yet?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dragon-age-origins-xbox360-review

Now all they need is to review the PS3 version, presumably.

And the funniest part about that review? They use the PC version of DA to point out why the Xbox 360 version just doesn't cut it, but their review of the PC game was one of the most scathing reviews of the game I've seen.

Edit: Reading through it more, after reading this 360 review I would think that they gave the PC version a 9.5/10 or something.

My comment on EG:

*slow clap*
    Congratulations Oli Welsh. I'd start cleaning out your desk now, as you just made yourself and Eurogamer the laughing stock of journalism.

Needless to say I won't be bothering reading EG again. They couldn't be more wrong if they tried.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOW THE ELF LOVES ME

Seriously. What ever happened to normal conversation? I don't want to bang all my party members I would rather just have conversation and understand their POV.

How do I get them to not fucking beg for my affection

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Picked this up on Steam last night. Did a 40 min run on a Mage. Game looks gorgeous.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

um

it is an RPG for sad, lonely gamers

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really need injury kits. My guys are dying for injury kits!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

um

You take the back!

Vic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Vic wrote: »

um

You take the back!

Yes but it also won't let you have a threeway.

But I can fuck a dude. It's nice that the option of being gay is in there!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    So in Redcliffe:
    This has probably been asked before, but the zombies keep coming. I've cleared the zombies by Ser Perth and by the Chantry and they won't stop coming. Is there something that I'm missing?
    So it appears that Murdock died, does he have to be alive to continue the story?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

yes it will

I think I read you can have up to a foursome

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998051

Thanks..ordering one of these now.

Maz- on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

yes it will

WHAT

WHAT PROOF OF THIS

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone have any tips for that stupid Revenant in Redcliffe? With the like 80 skeletons? And the immunity to everything and the kill your party instantly?

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Look to your left when you face that revanant

There's a gate switch

If you're on the PC version, hold the tab button. You'll see it

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

yes it will

WHAT

WHAT PROOF OF THIS

SPOILERS: http://daforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=703222&forum=145

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Well if you try any shit in camp they'll just whine about how much they want me

Except for the fucking dude

We can fuck and we're still cool and no one bothers us about it

But the girls be all I SAW YOU LOOKING AT HER

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow the GT pc/ps3/xbox360 comparison is pretty good.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc-ps3-360-comparison-dragon-age/58658

I think the xbox gets shit on too hard. The vid showed it had less pop in, better water, and better frames. The textures weren't that bad either.

I'd say its hard to not recommend any version of this game.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My PC is having that problem too what with the overheating and everything. I think it's tied to specific areas, as other players are reporting problems in the korcari wilds specifically, and that's where mine started happening.

I'm going to try another game save and see if that fixes things.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    notagamenotagame Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quick question, if a party member is knocked out in a fight, will he still get exp?

Also is there any good way to make money besides selling loot and doing quests? Will buying ingredients to make potions then selling the potions net me a profit? I see so many goodies I want to buy but I just don't have any money. And I don't even buy potions or weapon/armor. I really really want to buy those books that gives extra skill points/talent points and the extra back packs.

notagame on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can't believe it took me until today to find the Camp. Idiot.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOW THE ELF LOVES ME

You shoot them down the moment they bring it up?

It worked with Alistair and Zevran.

Not Leliana, though. But, then again, I didn't exactly try. :winky:

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My PC is having that problem too what with the overheating and everything. I think it's tied to specific areas, as other players are reporting problems in the korcari wilds specifically, and that's where mine started happening.

I'm going to try another game save and see if that fixes things.

Quick question. I haven't got the game yet. Will the comparison video spoil anything significant?

subedii on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOW THE ELF LOVES ME

That accent is hot.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOW THE ELF LOVES ME

Or you out right kill people when they deserve it and avoid the whole "is he into me?" conundrum.
    You know what I mean.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm probably missing something but how the hell do I craft while in camp? Going to my skills and clicking them just greets me with an only the main character is active in camp.

All I want to do is buy some ingredients from the merchant and craft some healing potions.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    notagame wrote: »
    Quick question, if a party member is knocked out in a fight, will he still get exp?

Also is there any good way to make money besides selling loot and doing quests? Will buying ingredients to make potions then selling the potions net me a profit? I see so many goodies I want to buy but I just don't have any money. And I don't even buy potions or weapon/armor. I really really want to buy those books that gives extra skill points/talent points and the extra back packs.

I think at least the lowest-end potions can turn a profit if you find - or maybe even buy - the ingredients and then make them into potions.

However making traps will destroy your wallet. Making traps by buying the ingredients - 'cause you're sure as hell not going to find many out in the wild - is way more expensive than simply buying the completed trap itself. It's ludicrous and is an oversight I'd like to see fixed one way or the other really quickly.
    I'm probably missing something but how the hell do I craft while in camp? Going to my skills and clicking them just greets me with an only the main character is active in camp.

All I want to do is buy some ingredients from the merchant and craft some healing potions.
    I believe you can put party members in your group while you're in camp before you leave. Just hit the party composition button at the top.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    JulesJules Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

NOW THE ELF LOVES ME

At least Morrigan doesn't beg for it.

:)

Here I was all worried that I wouldn't be able to persue multiple female relationships.

Edit: Previous Bioware games (BG II) choosing one woman would cancel out the others. (i.e. if you get nasty with Viconia, you can't go farther with Jaheria. Fuck I can't believe I remember all of their names).

Jules on
    (USER WAS INFRACTED FOR THIS POST)
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Well... in the 360 version, you select the Use Potions menu, select the Herbalism skill and start crafting healing potions.

If you've got the ingredients and the flasks, obviously.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone with the 360 version want to reassure me that it's still a good game? That the camera is still okay?

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can put the members with the required skill into my party but doing so brings up the world map for me to choose a destination. I try to access skills but any deviation from the map brings me back to being the only character active.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aumni wrote: »
    Playing this on Hard for the first time essentially means you live in tactical view in combat.

I do enjoy the 3rd person view outside of combat however.

And the graphics are great (on the PC....set to High....with the 3d goggles on)

Man, I find this game to be brutal on normal. I find myself reloading on average 2 or 3 times per fight. Easily the hardest RPG I've played in awhile.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

There are a few things you can do to make combat easier (pulling melee out of range of archers and creating bottlenecks are biggies). I haven't had too many problems once I figured that out, although I sometimes pop potions like crazy.

Redcliff village is currently giving me a problem, though:
    Like many others, the first fight - the knights - is easy, but they won't stop coming down below!

Also, poor bartender (Lloyd?). I browbeat him into defending his village but I don't see any way to keep him from being slaughtered. Or most of the rest of the militia, for that matter.

I think the next try I am going to forget the villagers, stay on the hill and wait for them to come up to me.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    QuirkyLittleTyrantQuirkyLittleTyrant A Mug Featuring Pichu On A Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stigma wrote: »
    Anyone with the 360 version want to reassure me that it's still a good game? That the camera is still okay?

It is totally fine. Very playable. I'm having a blast over here in my dirty, primitive cave devoid of true technology.

QuirkyLittleTyrant on
    PSN ID: Khrysocome
    Steam: ZappRowsdower