As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (With Gnome!) - Videos unavailable.

AdusAdus Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
Welcome to Let's Play

HalfLife2ep2gnome.jpg

Obligatory Wiki excerpt, even though no one should need it:

Half-Life 2: Episode Two is the second installment in Valve Corporation's series of episodes for the first person shooter computer game Half-Life 2. Continuing with Valve's policy of orienting each episode around a particular theme or set of technologies, Episode Two aims to focus on expansive environments, travel and less linear play. Following the closing events of Episode One, it sees Gordon Freeman and the series' other major players moving away from City 17 to the surrounding countryside.

Half-Life 2. Pretty much everyone has played it and the following episodes. So what's the point of watching? Well, as you may know, there's an achievement in this game that requires you to take a Garden Gnome you find at the beginning of the game, all the way to the end. Sounds like a hassle, right? Well it is. I've done it once before and it got quite frustrating at times, but overall isn't that difficult (I'm sure I'll regret saying that). This is what I'll be doing in this run through. Some people on Youtube have already done it, so this isn't a first, but very few LPs are these days.

I haven't played this game in a couple years now, so this will be far from an expert run. In fact, I'll probably miss a lot of obvious item pickups, die for stupid reasons, or generally just suck at playing. If this sort of thing bothers you when watching other people run through games, then you may want to avoid it. It shouldn't be bad enough to be painful to watch, but just warning ahead of time. If a part really does get that bad, I always have super editing powers.

These first videos are short as to gauge interest, as well as get some feedback (though I'll try not to make sets an hour long like SR2). I uploaded them in High Def this time, so those with slower connections be warned (or simply don't click HD). So watch on channel or Youtube (Playlist Link) for best quality.

These are still processing. Maybe it's just me, but hopefully HD will be available soon.

Set 1: Rise and Shine, Mr. Gnomeman

Set 2: The Antlion's Den

Set 3: Physics Puzzles, Oh Boy!

Set 4: The Pain Begins

Set 5: This Update Contains Only 10% of Your Daily Value of Gnome (But Contains 400% Zombie)

Set 6: (Enter Your Favorite Synonym For Rage Here)

Set 7: On Such A Timeless Flight

Set 8 (Final): Under A Luminous Sky

Once again, sorry about audio blips. I think it's just something with my sound card. It's the only thing in this machine that I moved over from my previous one so it's getting old. Anyway, as I said in the video, let's name the gnome. Also let me know if you want anything different as far as audio balancing goes. Game sound higher/lower, etc. Or if you want subtitles on. Also if anyone knows how to record to better fit the youtube window, let me know. I already know part of my issue is publishing the videos in 16:9 when I record in 16:10. Maybe that's the only issue. I don't really know!

Adus on

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is a lets play i wanna see and then do.
    Gnome!

Barcardi on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh my god.

You're actually taking the gnome with you.

I didn't think that anyone could actually do an Episode 2 Let's Play, but... yes.

Don't know what to name the gnome, though.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    cwapfobrainscwapfobrains Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've always wondered how this was done with the car sections.

As for a name, I don't know... Pierre? Francois? He seems french to me, but that just may be because of Amelie.

cwapfobrains on
    camo_sig.png
    LoL Summoner: infobrains | XBL: cwap4brains | PSN: infobrains
  • Options
    ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is awesome because I played through Ep2 and I really don't have any idea how you could keep the gone with you through some parts. Chalk me up as interested.

And the gnome should be named Gnorman.

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Name the gnome Checkers.

And good luck with keeping Checkers inside the car, ive tried, it is damned impossible.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I tried bringing the gnome with me once - once. Yeah, he fell out of the car. I looked in the back after driving a while and he wasn't there. I just said "fuck that." I wasn't about to go combing the forest for wherever he fell out.

Also this thread reminded me WHERE IS EPISODE THREE JESUS

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Vroooooooo-

"SHIT"

SCREECH

padpadpad

Bzzhmmhmmhmmhmm

padpadpad

Vroooooooooooo-

"SHIT"

Garthor on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I remember reading somewhere where there was a way you could jam that sucker into the car so that he wouldn't fall out constantly. I can't remember where it was though, or where I read it.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Garthor wrote: »
    Vroooooooo-

"SHIT"

SCREECH

padpadpad

Bzzhmmhmmhmmhmm

padpadpad

Vroooooooooooo-

"SHIT"

That is a transcript of my gnome achievement journey on my 360. I got the gamerscore to prove it!

donhonk on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I've been counting the days until someone did this. I considered doing it myself if no one else had the stones. Briefly, though. Very briefly.

Monger on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    Garthor wrote: »
    Vroooooooo-

"SHIT"

SCREECH

padpadpad

Bzzhmmhmmhmmhmm

padpadpad

Vroooooooooooo-

"SHIT"

That is a transcript of my gnome achievement journey on my 360. I got the gamerscore to prove it!

That's pretty much how it goes for everyone. I've got a slightly different idea this time. Overall, the car sections are the only real reason this achievement is a pain. The rest isn't too bad, unless he gets blown away by an explosive and you have to go look for him in the forest...

Or falls down a hole...

Or gets stuck in geometry...

Aaaggh!

Adus on
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What is wrong with you people? The gnome's name should obviously be David.

Btw, don't forget to close the rocket hatch at the very end.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gnathan Drake
    Gnicholas Cage
    Gnorman Schwartzkoff
    Gnico Belic

All good names

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rocket Gnome

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Additional challenge: Complete entirety of game by only using the Gnome with the gravity gun.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Blurbl wrote: »
    Additional challenge: Complete entirety of game by only using the Gnome with the gravity gun.
    The antlion caves have an unnecessary number of fights over bottomless pits, which would make that awful.
    Do it.

Monger on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I named my room gnome George. Perhaps you should name this gnome after him since George is awesome.

George.jpg

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I like David (I almost forgot about David the Gnome) and George. Basically I like the simpler names, though something very random could also be funny, as long as it's simple enough for me to say often. "Trunkated Gnomenclature" is the opposite of that.

And screw you guys, I'm not using only the gnome as my weapon. That's not to say he won't be my weapon at times.

Adus on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I named my room gnome George. Perhaps you should name this gnome after him since George is awesome.

George.jpg

Your Gnome has some pretty impressive bawls. :winky:

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SinWithSebastianSinWithSebastian Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The gnome is Rudolf.

SinWithSebastian on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I want episode 3 so much. Will it ever come out? Who knows.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The big question.

Since they've integrated Aperture Science/Portal into the HL continuity, and mentioned specifically the AS ship in episode 2..

Will we have a portal gun in Ep 3?

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What is wrong with you people? The gnome's name should obviously be David.

Btw, don't forget to close the rocket hatch at the very end.

Goddamn am I glad I regularly kept backup saves.

Garthor on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Brainstorming gnome names:
    - Chrome Gnome?
    - Foam Gnome?
    - Dome Gnome?
    - Roamin' Gnomin'?
    - Home Gnome?
    - Norm The Gnome?

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Huh, not to say this isn't going to be awesome but... isn't this one kind of taken by me and Jar (at our admittedly slow pace thanks to school and surgerys)

edit: I guess if PA doesn't care that ep2 will have 3 total lps by the time we're finished then that's totally fine as well :)

The more the merrier as they say.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Gnomad!

You see, it's like nomad! Because he's travelling! But he's a gnome!

It's funny!

Monger on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Name him Satan.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually that gnome looks Mexican. Name him Jorge (pronounced "Whore-hey" if my spanish pronounciation is correct).

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mine was named Gnome Chumpsky.

...That counts right.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    David got 3 votes. Two others came from my friends MinionOfCthulhu and Mop, the latter which does not post here but still counts.

My plan was to restrict sets to 30 minutes but forgetting to time myself and getting to a spot that I couldn't stop at made it go ten minutes longer. Ah well.

Most videos are still in processing stage.

Set 2: The Antlion's Den

Adus on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, how'd I miss this?

Seems like a hard undertaking here, but I like it for the LP aspect. Somehow, it's like David is a character, even!

Made it through all the sets, and I was wondering if it's possible to bump up the voices without moving everything else up as well? Watching the embedded videos (while not what I should be doing anyway) makes the subtitles useless, and I actually just haven't played Ep. 2. If not, no loss, as I have access to the means to play it; just not really the time, lately.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Not really. There's game volume and music volume. I'm pretty sure voices are tied to the former. If I turn it up any more, gunfire and various other noises would probably drown stuff out.

Adus on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Adus wrote: »
    Not really. There's game volume and music volume. I'm pretty sure voices are tied to the former. If I turn it up any more, gunfire and various other noises would probably drown stuff out.

Ahh. Makes sense then. I'll probably just watch them in youtube then, so I can see the subs. Problem easily solved!

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'd give these another hour or so before the processing is done, but figured I'd make the post anyway. Minimal editing is done here in order to prove how annoying this part is. I'm often choosing to speed up video instead, since parts where I die a lot or lose the gnome and have to go look for him need to be seen in order to grasp the full spectrum of this achievement.

Set 4: The Pain Begins

Adus on
  • Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    First part of that can be summed up as "Oh fuck"

You seem to have a growing man crush on the gnome... "Shut up Alyx. Are you ok David?!"

:D

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Please use the number keys for choosing weapons, and G for the gravity gun. The way you are doing it is driving me crazy.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I want to watch these but I haven't played Ep. 2 yet.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Please use the number keys for choosing weapons, and G for the gravity gun. The way you are doing it is driving me crazy.

No guarantees. (I did totally forget G was gravity gun, though.)

You're gonna have to survive it for at least one more set, since Set 5 is recorded already. I'll try my best to switch over by 6.

Adus on