As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - Use spoiler tags for ME2 information.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    Still regarding that tenth squadmate:
    -Tal wrote: »
    Well he's not a chick. Even if we consider him genderless, the ratio is 5:4:1 which is even weirder.
    Why is that weirder? What would you have them do? Cut out one of the guys in order to make it 4:4:1? This just strikes me as a really odd criticism.
    It's not a big deal, just weird. I expected either Garrus or Legion to be in but not both, and the tenth squadmate would be a female of a previously male-only species. Female turian, preferably.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Well he's not a chick. Even if we consider him genderless, the ratio is 5:4:1 which is even weirder.
    Why is that weirder? What would you have them do? Cut out one of the guys in order to make it 4:4:1? This just strikes me as a really odd criticism.
    Nah, cut one of the guys and add a robo-dog 4:4:2
    :winky:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Gamespot is showing off 12 minutes of ME2 right now.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr FoxMr Fox Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    What did I tell you guys, I was totally right :winky:

Mr Fox on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Man, the SR2 looks awesome.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Nah, cut one of the guys and add a robo-dog 4:4:2

That would be so cute. :(

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    c'mon robo-dog romance option

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So overall this fellow Cho does an excellent job of presenting the game, he's confident and cool and a very likeable fellow, I'm happy with him doing the presenting in these interview vids.

Damned if I don't burst out laughing every time he says "Cairo" instead of "Cryo" though. This makes it the third or fourth time.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Purgatory brings back memories of Butcher Bay.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shepards new quarters look pimp as hell
    Especially, you know
    The bed

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I finished ME for the first time on the weekend and I have a question.

Since it was my first time playing, I missed out on getting any specific character achievement. If I do a new game+, will they be partially done or will any new game essentially reset those types of achievements?

Sorry I'm not talking about ME2. I prefer to avoid information on upcoming games.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Purgatory brings back memories of Butcher Bay.

That's EXACTLY what it reminded me of.

And that's not a bad thing, at all.

Good shit.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The achivements are out, don't know if you seen them yet..

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/mass-effect-2/achievements/

BoredGamer on
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Wow, the Infiltrator sounds like a lot of fun.

Looks like my Soldier is learning some tech skills and becoming an Infiltrator, while Sentinel is going to forget some and become an Adept.

Also, it's a couple of pages old, but on the Virmire genocide dialogue:
    I think the problem with the conversation with Wrex is that the writers knew what the "cure" was, but we didn't yet.

Based on what we had been told, we had every reason to believe that it was an actual, legitimate cure. But the writers knew that it wasn't, and they wrote Shepard's dialogue from that perspective.

It ended up being a false dilemma. They either needed to make it clearer that the "cure" was cloning, or they needed to have Wrex outright say that he's leaving to join up with Saren for the cure. Either of those circumstances would have made that scene make more sense.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Exin wrote: »

Since it was my first time playing, I missed out on getting any specific character achievement. If I do a new game+, will they be partially done or will any new game essentially reset those types of achievements?

Sorry I'm not talking about ME2. I prefer to avoid information on upcoming games.

Are you talking about party member achievements, or the weapon/ability achievements? For the first, you have to complete 75% of the game in a single playthrough. For the latter, they save to your XBL profile everything you take a step towards completing them. i.e. if you kill 5 things with the assault rifle, die and have to reload to before you killed something with an assault rifle, it still counts. Same goes for across different playthroughs.

devoir on
  • Options
    Mr FoxMr Fox Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So do we know what this suicide mission is yet, I mean it's got to be pretty fucking big to be dangerous to Captain Single-Handedly saved the citadel Shepard!
    Also the Achievement for beating the game hint at something very important.

Mr Fox on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    Exin wrote: »

Are you talking about party member achievements, or the weapon/ability achievements? For the first, you have to complete 75% of the game in a single playthrough. For the latter, they save to your XBL profile everything you take a step towards completing them. i.e. if you kill 5 things with the assault rifle, die and have to reload to before you killed something with an assault rifle, it still counts. Same goes for across different playthroughs.

Yeah, the party member achievements. I used Wrex and Garrus a lot, but apparently not enough (A ME wiki says 15 main missions and 35 side quests.)

I was hoping I could just restart the game with that career and I'd only need a handful of missions to get the achievement for Garrus/Wrex, but I guess not. Thanks.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Mr Fox wrote: »
    So do we know what this suicide mission is yet, I mean it's got to be pretty fucking big to be dangerous to Captain Single-Handedly saved the citadel Shepard!

A fist fight with a Reaper?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Shepards new quarters look pimp as hell
    Especially, you know
    The fishtank

Fix'd

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    How bad are the achievement spoilers? Is it story stuff? Last character stuff?

mostly character stuff and planet stuff, tho if you've read the last book you know exactly where your going for the last mission anyway.

I assume that is the,
    mysterious gate to Collector space, from which no one has returned alive?

of course
    the omega-4 relay, they say none have ever returned.. shep is about to prove them wrong. 8-)

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

A fist fight with a Reaper?

In the final quarter of the game, an injured Shepard straps himself into a giant eezo-powered mecha, which levels up and gains skills like an extra party member. Then he fist-fights a whole Reaper fleet.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Also the Achievement for beating the game hint at something very important.

yes
    going into the omega-4 relay, which is home to the collectors, the last book states all who have entered the relay have never returned, presumably shep is going to go in, find out wtf is going on with them taking his people and fuck their shit up.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Jay FoxfireJay Foxfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    gjaustin wrote: »

Looks like my Soldier is learning some tech skills and becoming an Infiltrator, while Sentinel is going to forget some and become an Adept.

I think the problem with the conversation with Wrex is that the writers knew what the "cure" was, but we didn't yet.

Based on what we had been told, we had every reason to believe that it was an actual, legitimate cure. But the writers knew that it wasn't, and they wrote Shepard's dialogue from that perspective.

It ended up being a false dilemma. They either needed to make it clearer that the "cure" was cloning, or they needed to have Wrex outright say that he's leaving to join up with Saren for the cure. Either of those circumstances would have made that scene make more sense.
    I don't know why but I thought that the "cure" was just a Krogan cloning program.

Jay Foxfire on
    Mailman12089.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    am i the only one who is a little bit dissipointed on (recent gamespot video)
    of the new sr2? i mean i like all the new features and its cool and all but i was under the impression it was smaller then the sr1 and it was just run by shep and party members ala firefly style hijinks, but no, there seems to be random crew members there.. i was really hoping for a surrogate firefly class ship. :?

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    gjaustin wrote: »

I don't know why but I thought that the "cure" was just a Krogan cloning program.

That was the impression I got.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    me2 vid
    wow so you cant actually change weapons and equipment out in the field anymore? should make things more interesting, and lol @ music player next to shep's lovepad, theres some barry white stuff going on there for when him and garrus get it on.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2009
    There are some non tagged spoilers in here and it's pretty annoying

Fuck ya'll, I'm just gonna have to stay out

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    That Gamespot video seems to confirm one thing that makes me very happy: If you run out of thermal clips for one gun, looks like you can switch to another weapon and use it. Maybe all guns are pre-loaded with one thermal clip.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    That Gamespot video seems to confirm one thing that makes me very happy: If you run out of thermal clips for one gun, looks like you can switch to another weapon and use it. Maybe all guns are pre-loaded with one thermal clip.

Thermal clip? Do you mean overheating? Pretty sure that's gone. Guns now have ammo.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2009

Thermal clip? Do you mean overheating? Pretty sure that's gone. Guns now have ammo.

The "ammo" is small heatsinks that you eject after a certain number of shots.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    (called a "thermal clip" or "thermo clip" in the game)

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Watching something like this video shows a conventional ammo system (ie 40/400 ammo, reload the clip when it's dry), even for guns like the assault rifle.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I hope as a renegade you can really go all out for
    cybernetic enhancements.

I basically want to end up as as

appleseed_1988_img18.jpg

Because he doesn't let the lack of a
    skull or face
    keep him down.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Watching something like this video shows a conventional ammo system (ie 40/400 ammo, reload the clip when it's dry), even for guns like the assault rifle.

That's what I'm talking about. It looks like a universal ammo system. Just take out the "thermal" in "thermal clip" in that post.

My worry was that if you ran out of ammo for one gun, you ran out of ammo for all. The tooltip suggested that running out for one gun didn't mean running out for others. The only way I can think of that working with universal ammo is all guns being pre-loaded with one thermal clip and drawing from a pool of spare clips when it's time to reload.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

That's what I'm talking about. It looks like a universal ammo system. Just take out the "thermal" in "thermal clip" in that post.

My worry was that if you ran out of ammo for one gun, you ran out of ammo for all. The tooltip suggested that running out for one gun didn't mean running out for others. The only way I can think of that working with universal ammo is all guns being pre-loaded with one thermal clip and drawing from a pool of spare clips when it's time to reload.

Considering that you get some pretty heavy weapons this time (one gun looked like a mini nuke launcher), giving those guns 400 rounds of ammo, from the same pool as the assault rifle, would be a tad unfair.

I'd expect universal ammo per weapon type. So assault rifles all have the same ammo, pistols all have the same ammo. You don't need to worry about picking up your new mark V Sabre assault rifle, but have 400 rounds ammo for your mark 3 Swissarmyknife assault rifle instead.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

Considering that you get some pretty heavy weapons this time (one gun looked like a mini nuke launcher), giving those guns 400 rounds of ammo, from the same pool as the assault rifle, would be a tad unfair.

Different weapons take different amounts of heat per shot. Heavy weapons have seperate ammo.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Yes, heavy weapons have seperate ammo and refills are hard to come by on missions, whereas thermal clips for the other four weapons are scattered all over the place.

The thermal clips may or may not be universal. I'm pretty sure they are, but I could be wrong.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    am i the only one who is a little bit dissipointed on (recent gamespot video)
    of the new sr2? i mean i like all the new features and its cool and all but i was under the impression it was smaller then the sr1 and it was just run by shep and party members ala firefly style hijinks, but no, there seems to be random crew members there.. i was really hoping for a surrogate firefly class ship. :?

Man where on earth did you get that impression

It's been pretty clear for ages the SR2 is bigger and badder and fully staffed.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Elendil wrote: »

Back when we first got the robot mech model in, we snuck in a texture on the face for a giant heart instead of its normal circle.

So cuuuuuute
    as it mangled your face

Birudojin on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Birudojin wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »

Back when we first got the robot mech model in, we snuck in a texture on the face for a giant heart instead of its normal circle.

So cuuuuuute
    as it mangled your face

Aw man

Tell me there's a way to re-enable this. :lol:

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
This discussion has been closed.