As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect - Use spoiler tags for ME2 information.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    That Gamespot video seems to confirm one thing that makes me very happy: If you run out of thermal clips for one gun, looks like you can switch to another weapon and use it. Maybe all guns are pre-loaded with one thermal clip.

Thermal clip? Do you mean overheating? Pretty sure that's gone. Guns now have ammo.

The "ammo" is small heatsinks that you eject after a certain number of shots.

Watching something like this video shows a conventional ammo system (ie 40/400 ammo, reload the clip when it's dry), even for guns like the assault rifle.

That's what I'm talking about. It looks like a universal ammo system. Just take out the "thermal" in "thermal clip" in that post.

My worry was that if you ran out of ammo for one gun, you ran out of ammo for all. The tooltip suggested that running out for one gun didn't mean running out for others. The only way I can think of that working with universal ammo is all guns being pre-loaded with one thermal clip and drawing from a pool of spare clips when it's time to reload.

Considering that you get some pretty heavy weapons this time (one gun looked like a mini nuke launcher), giving those guns 400 rounds of ammo, from the same pool as the assault rifle, would be a tad unfair.

Different weapons take different amounts of heat per shot. Heavy weapons have seperate ammo.

My mistake - I thought it was an actual ammo system. So this is an evolution of the overheating guns in the first game, but the 'clips' are new heat sinks? That's pretty neat.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    The only fundamental change is that weapons don't cool down by themselves anymore. This means heat sinks have to be replaced, and with only a certain amount of shots before overheat (like in the first game), it acts exactly like an ammo system.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    With regards to the first game, (this my first playthrough.)
    How do you level up decryption/electronics?
    I keep landing and finding all these probes, but it says my electronics level is too low.
    How do I fix that?

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    With regards to the first game, (this my first playthrough.)
    How do you level up decryption/electronics?
    I keep landing and finding all these probes, but it says my electronics level is too low.
    How do I fix that?

With the electronics skill line... It's only available to Engineers, Infiltrators and Sentinels.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    I don't have that, I'm guessing it's because I'm a soldier

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Bring either Tali, Garrus, or Kaiden along (and level it up with them, it only needs to go to 9 to unlock everything).

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Bring either Tali, Garrus, or Kaiden along (and level it up with them, it only needs to go to 9 to unlock everything).

Okay phew, I thought I would be missing out on something big because I picked the Soldier class.
    Do Soldiers get anything cool? It sounds like I'm missing out on a lot :(

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Birudojin wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    c'mon robo-dog romance option

Back when we first got the robot mech model in, we snuck in a texture on the face for a giant heart instead of its normal circle.

So cuuuuuute
    as it mangled your face

Sneak a wild pack of them in on an uncharted planet. Do iiit. :D

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Okay phew, I thought I would be missing out on something big because I picked the Soldier class.

They get invulnerability, which is cool. Just level up your Fitness skill to get Immunity, and once you get Immunity Specialization from your advanced class, you can pretty much keep it up forever.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

More guns, more health and the ability to wear heavy armour, and health regeneration.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Okay cool. I was planning on making this my Canon/main for ME 2
    Since you get Biotic Powers anyways

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    You can pick any class in 2, even with an old character from 1.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Cabezone wrote: »
    You can pick any class in 2, even with an old character from 1.
    But since Shepard gets re-constructed by Cerberus doesn't he automatically get Biotic Powers?

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Err, I really don't think so at all.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Just finished Virmire. Surprisingly epic. I thought I was at the endpoint of the game.
    I chose to save Ashley, because I knew I wouldn't give a shit if she died. :?

So when specifically is the point of no return, so I know to make a separate save?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    It will be pretty obvious when you reach the point of no return.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    When you reach a point at which you suspect you may not be able to return to an area - you won't be able to return to that area. When you reach a point that feels like the start of the endgame, yes that's the endgame and when you start it you won't be able to explore the galaxy any more.

Like -Tal said, it's fairly obvious at least. Trust your instincts!

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Right after you do the four main planets is a good time to save. Then finish up the unexplored planet quests you want before going to the Citadel.

Once you go to the Citadel after the four main planets and then leave, you won't be able to go back to the Citadel. You'll still be able to explore the galaxy and do quests out there, but you won't be able to turn anything in at the Citadel.

And then once you go to Ilos, that's the beginning of the end.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, there's a complication. After you do four main planets, the next time you go to the galaxy screen, game automatically sends you to the Citadel.

So just make sure any quests that you need to return to the Citadel to complete is done before the 4th planet.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Wait I'm confused
    You saved Ashley because you didn't care if she died? So I take it you really wanted to see Kaiden die :mrgreen: ?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The Gamespot video mentions that
    you can communicate with the Illusive Man outside the FTL comm grid by using quantum entanglement

Cerberus has some pretty fancy technology going on here.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    There is something I'm a bit confused about in Mass Effect 1 and the Pirates
    Replaying there is that guy who basically tried to nuke you, and was getting revenge for "his kind" being pushed back.

Are there separate groups of humans I'm not aware of ? Or is there some species of Space Pirate that look oddly human?

I think this was in regard to Elyssium (if that sounds right)

Egos on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    Egos wrote: »
    Replaying there is that guy who basically tried to nuke you, and was getting revenge for "his kind" being pushed back.

Are there separate groups of humans I'm not aware of ? Or is there some species of Space Pirate that look oddly human?

I think those guys were suppose to be Batarains(sp?), but they didn't have time/whatever to create the models.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Axen wrote: »

I think those guys were suppose to be Batarains(sp?), but they didn't have time/whatever to create the models.

Very weird, so instead they made the stand-in leader a seemingly Albino Black Guy :)

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Well, there's a complication. After you do four main planets, the next time you go to the galaxy screen, game automatically sends you to the Citadel.

So just make sure any quests that you need to return to the Citadel to complete is done before the 4th planet.

Which quests need to be turned in at the citadel? Is there a way to tell?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009

Wait I'm confused
    You saved Ashley because you didn't care if she died? So I take it you really wanted to see Kaiden die :mrgreen: ?
    I wanted to feel some semblance of emotion when x character would be sacrificed, so I decided to give up on Kaiden.

Not that he's a particular favorite of mine (that would be Garrus and Wrex), but I definitely liked him more than Ashley.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited December 2009

The only ones I can think of are Nassanna Dantius, Garoth and his brother, and Kahoku.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    So just double checking before I start another character, has there been any word on if we can change name along with appearance?

I kinda ruled this out with changing gender. But than again the first name really means diddly.

Anyone have an inclination/guess one way or the other?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    you should have chosen a better first name

like doctor

Commander Dr. Shepard

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    -Tal wrote: »

The only ones I can think of are Nassanna Dantius, Garoth and his brother, and Kahoku.

That sounds right. I can't find any more on this checklist.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I love this achievement(not spoilers for story spoilers, spoilered just for people who don't want to see them).
    Tactician (10)
    Hit 20 different targets with multiple biotic powers to combine the effects

So awesome.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    The best biotic combo is pull + slam

I expect to see krogan flying

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Scanning the keepers: I forget do I have to wait for an event till I can scan the Keeper by the Krogan monument (the AI keeps bugging me) or is this a bug that won't allow me to scan him?

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Scanning the keepers: I forget do I have to wait for an event till I can scan the Keeper by the Krogan monument (the AI keeps bugging me) or is this a bug that won't allow me to scan him?

She says that if you interact with the keeper before and after the quest. The scanner will work regardless. If you're short one, it's not that one. :)

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Are you sure you haven't scanned him already?

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009

She says that if you interact with the keeper before and after the quest. The scanner will work regardless. If you're short one, it's not that one. :)

hmm, so you can interact with the keeper even after you scanned it? I was thinking I only could because I hadn't..

-Tal wrote: »
    Are you sure you haven't scanned him already?

I might have , in light of what Frosty said. Though on the map it still says "point of interest" though its with an (X). Which the other keepers I scanned seem to lack...

but I could see that place happening to be a point of interest later on when the Citadel hits the fan ..and it just happens to be in the same location as that keeper.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    You should probably do all the other keepers to see if that one was counted.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    If you're 1 short I give 75% odds that it's the one in the wards access corridor

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    If you're 1 short I give 75% odds that it's the one in the wards access corridor

If thats the Tali one, I got that before we were whisked away via cutscenes...I remember how hard it was to get that one :)

edit: Ah! I figured out which one I'm missing. Flux. I haven't even visited it this play through. I forgot it existed.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    wards access is such a dumb place

when you try to teleport there it takes you outside and you have to take the damn elevator down

worst place on the Citadel

ME2 needs better places

It's not the one where Tali is. It's the elevator right outside that hallway.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
This discussion has been closed.