As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LEGO thread!

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I remember, before they sold StarWars Lego sets, i made my own makeshift Darth Vader, using the black robothead and hands from the M-Tron set, and a helmet from one of the medieval sets, a cape from i dont know where, and the lightsaber was a lego megaphone and one of those translucent antennas

good times

Joolander on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have that set, it was awesome.

Of course, my cousin later used the window parts at the end there to help make a droideka. I hate him and his LEGO genius.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    yalborap wrote: »
    I too am of the sort who finds himself often building the set on the box and displaying that. It's one of my great regrets that I'm simply not wired right to plan and construct a proper LEGO thing of my own. The few I have are all simple, small things.

Not to chastise you for that, but... I really don't get the joy in that kind of LEGO experience. Like, why not just buy a model, or get into miniature trains or something? Why is that fun?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I wanted 6949. That series was out about the same time as the snow space guys.

Which I've now found out is called Ice Planet 2002. I have most of these.

6973-1.jpg

So get this. The two pilots break off into two individual snow speeders. The big back cargo breaks out into like, a mobile base kinda deal and then the center opens up for another compartment.

I had that set, and it was fucking awesome.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »

6973-1.jpg

So get this. The two pilots break off into two individual snow speeders. The big back cargo breaks out into like, a mobile base kinda deal and then the center opens up for another compartment.

oh! oh! and that white/clear orange part on the back? It was like a garage door!

Joolander on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    Did anyone else have this set?
    6949-1.jpg
    I remember rather liking it.

Holy shit I have that. Well, the instruction manual; I sold a huge bunch of my lego years and years ago, which I kinda regret out of nostalgia for some of the sets I had.

The modern sets just seem so... meh compared to the older ones. I won't even pretend though that this isn't in large part due to a severe case of rose-tinted glasses.

Suriko on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Modern ones often have way too many shitty pieces that only work well with that set.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

6973-1.jpg

oh! oh! and that white/clear orange part on the back? It was like a garage door!

Which was awesome because then I could actually use it for a garage door on something else.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This was my first set:
    6929-1.jpg

My favorite sets were these two:
    6274-1.jpg
    6077-1.jpg
    I saved up for that governors ship for months, and when I got it, a friend started boasting that he had the pirate ship, but he wasn't allowed to show anyone.

Still can't believe I bought that lie.

Currently myself and some friends and building this, a couple of hours a week.
    10188-1.jpg
    It'll take at least another month!

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    plufim wrote: »
    This was my first set:
    6929-1.jpg

My favorite sets were these two:
    6274-1.jpg
    6077-1.jpg
    I saved up for that governors ship for months, and when I got it, a friend started boasting that he had the pirate ship, but he wasn't allowed to show anyone.

Still can't believe I bought that lie.

Currently myself and some friends and building this, a couple of hours a week.
    10188-1.jpg
    It'll take at least another month!

Edit: Im not even gonna go there.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    THIS is in my house

Antimatter on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I too am of the sort who finds himself often building the set on the box and displaying that. It's one of my great regrets that I'm simply not wired right to plan and construct a proper LEGO thing of my own. The few I have are all simple, small things.

Not to chastise you for that, but... I really don't get the joy in that kind of LEGO experience. Like, why not just buy a model, or get into miniature trains or something? Why is that fun?

They're easy to build, look cool, and are more easily customizable. Plus, Lego innately has two scales: Minifig and Microfig, and you don't see the latter very much these days. I know that 9/10 lego sets are built in such a fashion that they will be more or less in scale with the other sets, and thus things mesh more readily.

EDIT: Also, the latest sets are a lot better about the specialized pieces issue. At least the more serious ones. I still see it a good bit in the ones aimed explicitly at younger children(the Spongebob ones, for instance), but the stuff with a wider age range is usually much more bricks and neat bits, with less truly one-off pieces.

yalborap on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    pod04_4.jpg
    this thing is seriously rad

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited January 2010

They're easy to build, look cool, and are more easily customizable. Plus, Lego innately has two scales: Minifig and Microfig, and you don't see the latter very much these days. I know that 9/10 lego sets are built in such a fashion that they will be more or less in scale with the other sets, and thus things mesh more readily.

Microfig? I'm not familiar with that.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Microfigs:
    85863px2.1255402838.jpg4249097992_217d9752b8.jpg
    Teeny tiny lego.

Though there are also these guys from the Technic range:
    8712-1.jpg

Suriko on
  • Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Joolander wrote: »

6973-1.jpg

Which was awesome because then I could actually use it for a garage door on something else.

I remember having that as one of the first lego sets I can remember! The problem is it makes me feel incredibly old to think that it was at least 15 years ago that that range came out. It really does make me very nostalgic this thread as lego played such an integral role in my childhood.

Does anyone happen to remember the spacepolice/rangers that were about at a similar time to the ice range above?

Anarchy Rules! on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Suriko wrote: »
    Microfigs:
    Teeny tiny lego.

Wow. I have never seen those. Are those like, from 1981 or something?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    They're pretty rare these days, though I think some of the new game sets are using them again. They used to be used mostly for small sets.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Nowdays they're more for non-core kits, like board games and such.

Suriko on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had one of those larger Technic guys as a kid, I wish more Technic sets were compatible with them, as they were extremely poseable. As for my Lego experiences, I mainly focused on making planes and cars, though I ended up having a "crew" of sorts, with a set of five minifigs that I had given names and backstories to, each having their own vehicle to call their own.

The Listener on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    My big thing was spaceships where each minifig would have its own pod that could detach and be its own little ship. They would be long with most of the stuff at the back, inspired by the x-wing.

Damn it now I want some Lego.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    pod04_4.jpg
    this thing is seriously rad

:x

Also- I love microscale building. see the last two things I made in the OP

Arch on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    I love microscale building. see the last two things I made in the OP

I still prefer the steam punk mech, its super neat.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I loved LEGO and and very excited for my new daughter to grow out the the LEGO-lodging-in-esophagus age she will be in for the next 4 years or so. I guess I can look forward to Duplo, though.

I really, really want to buy the Millennium Falcon kit or one of the other large Star Wars sets, but I think my wife would kill me.

I am also in love with this:

21005-0000-xx-12-1.jpg

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10193&cn=245
    This would be perfect for a Dungeons and Dragons game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    This was one of my favorite sets when I was a kid.

Artereis on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ZeroCow wrote: »
    Last spring we had a class for LEGO's at Ohio State:

The Art and Science of LEGO bricks

If you thought Lego was simply a children's toy, think again. This course will provide a comprehensive look into the many facets of the Lego brick including art, science, engineering, business, and of course fun. The course will cover the history of Lego and place it in context, provide a behind the scenes look into the complex process of designing a Lego set, examine the medium as a fine art form, present computer design tools for building your own models, building techniques, and of course, building, building, building with real bricks. The course will consist of 1 hr of lecture and 1 hr of lab (hands on building) most weeks. It will also include a fieldtrip to the Toy and Plastic Brick Museum in Bellair Ohio to view one of the largest privately held collections of Lego works.

I went to the wrong school. I can never hate your football team now.

edit: I wish there were instructions on teknomeka for this one. I am in awe.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Hehe I dug out my LEGO bucket (which is a pain in the ass to do on crutches), and what should greet me when I open it but all the track pieces for my 6990 Monorail Transport System set. Imagine how awesome that set was to a five year old (age when it came out). Unfortunately I lack the ambition or room to construct it right now.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    vermiculturevermiculture Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was potty trained using lego. I wasn't allowed to play with them until I used the big boy bathroom. It's a fact my mother never forgot to share with any girls I brought home in high school.

vermiculture on
    steam id: vermiculture
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Did anybody else love those booklets with the cities that were just big ads for lego? But they had all the really sweet city sets and stuff.

Also, when my kids get lego, they get Pirates, Knights and maybe a few Spacemen.

No goddamn lego Star Wars, kid.

Use your mind. YOUR MIND!

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.brothers-brick.com/

I can't escape this site D:

Also lego was serious business at my high school. And it had good reason to be; me and a friend went to the Robocup Junior national championships twice, which pleased the principal immeasurably. It was pretty awesome being able to cut whatever class we wanted just by saying we needed some time to work on our robot and having the teacher quickly shuffle us on our way to do More Important Things.

I've still got my own mindstorms set kicking around, though I always had more fun making static mechs than working things.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Microfigs:
    Teeny tiny lego.
    Wow. I have never seen those. Are those like, from 1981 or something?
    They're pretty rare these days, though I think some of the new game sets are using them again. They used to be used mostly for small sets.
    Nowdays they're more for non-core kits, like board games and such.
    I think Suriko has it right - the tiny guy without arms is for a new line of board games they're releasing soon.

These are the really old-school minifigs:

4224c01.jpg

While the Brothers-Brick is an excellent blog and basically provides all of the news you need, I also really enjoy Twee Effect for a more . . . critical look at Lego.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nieksphotography/
    WHY AREN'T THERE INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's easy to say "why aren't there instructions for this" but do you really expect the builder to spend the hours of painstaking work required to tell you how to build it? Plus, typically when people do their own creations like that, they aren't really interested in having other people replicate it - that's not the point of what they're doing. It's like asking Da Vinci when he's releasing the paint-by-numbers version of the Mona Lisa. Sort of.

Anyway, a little old, but didn't see this mentioned:

2934568744_fae2071379.jpg

HMS Hood in 20-foot-long minifig scale

Also, if you are interested in having your mind broken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlA3NV0rFA

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    A video of them making it would be nice.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    A video of them making it would be nice.
    I don't know why you'd need anything more than the pictures to pick up the techniques that the builder used.

EDIT: I mean, it's all very well done and yes, quite intricate, but it's pretty much all there in plain sight, except perhaps for some unusual SNOT work.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    japan wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I still remember opening the box and being amazed with the magnets. And the octopus.

You can still get the Octopus!

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=6240&cn=554&d=70

Also the soldiers in the Pirate stuff are Redcoats these days. I kind of want the fort. The ships are holy shit expensive, though.

Oh God Damn you. Why did I have to know that there is a new Imperial ship? I MUST buy that Flagship. I guess I know where some of my tax rebate is going.

Also I'm not sure how bad this is, but every single set you guys have mentioned so far I have. Seriously. You know those huge Rubbermaid containers? I have half a dozen of them filled to the brim with lego pieces and a large dresser filled with plans.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    HMS Hood and a video - ed

I note that the minifigs in the pop up box don't use the traditional legs. They use 1x1 cones and two 1x1 rounds.

And on the topic of HMS Hood, have some IJN Takao
    0508_brickfest_0067.jpg

and IJN Yamato
    3642279077_8d83267d57.jpg

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    The huge lego aircraft carriers are awesome, my 2nd favorite huge lego thing is the church.

church099.jpg

church019.jpg

Some pretty damn fine detail in there.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    The huge lego aircraft carriers are awesome, my 2nd favorite huge lego thing is the church.

snip

Some pretty damn fine detail in there.

...wow. Hadn't seen that before.

ProPatriaMori on
This discussion has been closed.