Options

LEGO thread!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tach wrote: »
    I was a poor, unfortunate soul as a child.

I had Loc Blocs.

Pity me.

Anybody who claims they are the same are silly gooses.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2010
    Loc Blocs are Legos for children whose parents don't love them. It's what everything in Hell is built from.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Tach wrote: »
    I was a poor, unfortunate soul as a child.

I had Loc Blocs.

Pity me.

WTFGTFO.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    And then there's Mega Bloks. Which Canadians are apparently supposed to feel all patriotic about. Silly geese.

Though I like the fact though that a major Canadian constitutional case is literally Lego v. Mega Bloks (Lego lost - case was about federal/provincial regulation of trademark law . . . or something).

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Loc Blocs are Legos for children whose parents don't love them. It's what everything in Hell is built from.

Wikipedia agrees!
    The blocks were of a very similar grid pattern to the Lego system, but not quite. Rather than using a stud and tube system, Loc Blocs used a tall stud and short channels on the bottom of bricks. The tall studs were just tall enough to engage the channels. The knobs were too tall and spaced just a little bit off for fitting between Lego tubes, but could be integrated with Lego through the medium of Best Lock bricks, which used tall channels, and thus accepted both Loc Blocs and Lego. The result was that children who owned the much cheaper LOC BLOCs were often excluded from group play with other children who owned the more popular Lego bricks.
    They were sold by Sears Roebuck, and Company under their house brand "Brix Blox." They are still manufactured to day in Japan as Diabloks and sold in the U.S.A. under the name "Disney Build-It" blocks. [2]
    Coincidence, I think not!

Couscous on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had a couple of mega-bloks sets, mostly the bigger sets, but the smaller LEGO sets are way cooler.

I really liked the Star Wars LEGOs when they were coming out, but now it seems like they are making more scenery type sets and not the cooler starfighters. I always wanted to get the B-Wing and Y-Wing, but couldn't bring myself to shell out the $50.

Thanks to this thread, I'm going to have to find my LEGOs tomorrow and start building stuff.

Magell on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Megabloks were an abomination, and I routinely had to cleanse buckets purchased at yard sales of them.

Ninjas are still the coolest non-modern/future series, though I've been content with the re-launching of the Castle sets after they changed the rainbow knights to look less like a paint set.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I did have one cool megabloks set:

71BW7SZNRJL._SS400_.gif

Note the small pictures on the right: With this set, you could build the chopper, a harrier, or some weird bomber thing. It was totally worth the $20 birthday money I spent on it, and I made sure that they never mixed in with my normal legos.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    WMain00 wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    The continued lack of love for Mindstorms confuses me.

Mindstorms are awesome for the use in AI programming but they're also pretty damn expensive. I've used one Mindstorm back when they were just coming out and it was pretty damn good. I would be extremely tempted to buy one again given how intelligent they are and how useful it is for programming fun.

The original mindstorms was ok, but the later versions improved it a lot.

Anybody other than me use the original robotics stuff? The ones where you had to keep the motors plugged into a board that connected to the computer?

Also, I remember having this one:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6981-1

The little pods on the side come off and are their own ships. Of course it was immediately built and then ripped apart for pieces.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    So I figured out to the two oldest LEGO sets I have are from '87 and '88

6809-1.jpg

6054-1.jpg

These are 22 year old LEGO sets at this point. I'm pretty sure I don't have the first one anymore, but the "Forestmen" I might very well have complete.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I regret selling so much of my lego years ago (oh god all the rare sets I used to have, oh god D:), but I still have my favourite set assembled and on a shelf:

darkknightcastle.jpg

The old Lego Castle stuff is so much better than the new sets.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I remember that set. I always loved the archers sneaking out the side.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I have a sudden urge to download that builder tool and start making mecha.

On the one hand, obvious fun. On the other hand, I tried last year and decided I was going to make a Starcraft 2 Crucio Siege Tank and I got caught up in figuring out how to make it actually deploy like it is supposed to in-game.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have the Forestmen's Hideout too. Also one of my favorites. I lost a piece (might have even been one of the big corner wall pieces too, somehow) and, this being years before the internet, I remember my mom having to make several calls to Lego and corresponding with them through fax to order a new piece.
    Suriko wrote: »
    So many minifigs. So many minifigs.
    Yeah, that set is pretty generous with the minifigs. I always felt there were never enough. I had the King's Mountain Fortress and it only had 8.

Fort Legorado was pretty awesome for minifigs too.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Fort Legorado looks like a LEGO version of the famous Fort Apache playset.

FtApacheFull.jpg

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I figured out to the two oldest LEGO sets I have are from '87 and '88
    6809-1.jpg

6054-1.jpg

These are 22 year old LEGO sets at this point. I'm pretty sure I don't have the first one anymore, but the "Forestmen" I might very well have complete.

Ooh yeah, I had that Robin Hood one too!

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hjp4hjp4 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    Lego finally abandoned it's core principles:

fe7bf_lego-toy-story-minifigs-armymen.jpg
    3748917284_34c4acc77e.jpg
    4179244780_88040ccc5e.jpg
    4262907682_1dedf9812c.jpg
    4251153767_1b6d04f537.jpg

hjp4 on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Oh god, all that minifig scale military stuff is grand. I'd seen some of it on Brickshelf before, but good lord do I want that M-1 and B-1. And probably the H-53. And a scale Wasp class (which would probably be...35 feet long ish? I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit in my apartment.)

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    hjp4 wrote: »
    Lego finally abandoned it's core principles . . .
    The only new elements there (other than the bases) are the helmets. The guns were already done 15 years ago in the Wild West theme.

Plus this is the new Toy Story line and I think I read somewhere that their non-military policy doesn't extend to licensed themes. But yeah, this is the closest they've come to releasing realistic military figures, though I guess it depends on how flexible their policy is as these are hardly "modern day" (heck, the stuff depicted is roughly midway between today and the Wild West theme) and it represents toy soldiers rather than "real" soldiers.

EDIT: here's something on their military policy.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So it turns out I'm terrible at building mecha/power suit/hardsuit cores. And unfortunately that's the part that gets hidden in all the pictures of complete models.

Anyone have a picture or link to some pictures that better show the, for lack of a better word, "core?"

Terrendos on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Lego finally abandoned it's core principles . . .
    The only new elements there (other than the bases) are the helmets. The guns were already done 15 years ago in the Wild West theme.

Plus this is the new Toy Story line and I think I read somewhere that their non-military policy doesn't extend to licensed themes.

Which has been key to getting good guns and the like without having to go to BrickArms and other small-time setups that charge through the nose due to limited supply.

Also, you have no idea how much I want those damn army men.

yalborap on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    It did that awhile ago when it made military stuff for the Indiana Jones line.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I just realized we're probably going to get a Lego Toy Story videogame now.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It did that awhile ago when it made military stuff for the Indiana Jones line.
    Forgot about the Indiana Jones theme. Still, that's about the same as these 1950's army men from Toy Story.

I agree with their policy of not making realistic military sets, but understand they're going to need to be flexible with licensed products and so far don't think they've violated that principle too much.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    'course, they make pirate sets. Making toys about violent armed thieves, murderers and rapists is MUCH better than making war machines. :)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I liked the time travel set!

That shit was dope.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    'course, they make pirate sets. Making toys about violent armed thieves, murderers and rapists is MUCH better than making war machines. :)

This made me smile.

Now I so want those army men Legos. I had so many sets as a kid and the tub of blocks as well. I feel bad that I gave them all to my younger brother.

At least I have a kid now. She had Duplo as a toddler, but on her 7th birthday we got her a Sponge Bob set. Now she wants more. And damn it she will get them. As soon as I can talk her into pirates and orcs are cool :D

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    CpunkCpunk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Also, I remember having this one:

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=6981-1

The little pods on the side come off and are their own ships. Of course it was immediately built and then ripped apart for pieces.

My entire childhood just flooded back to me. They need to bring blacktron back.

Cpunk on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    To be fair, I'm pretty sure they're mostly just custom in the legs and heads, though the heads ARE iffy. A normal human-ish being should be represented by a normal Lego head.

But eh, nothing that can't be solved with proper application of other licensed heads.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So after a miserable failure trying to make a LEGO power suit on the Digital Designer, I cracked open the last two LEGO models I had purchased over the last year and repurposed them. I now have one really off-color quasi-power suit.

I would post a picture, but it's 3:30 AM and I don't know where my digital camera is. Also it looks dumb. Also I'm afraid that its spindly legs aren't going to be enough support and I'm going to awaken in the middle of the night to the terrifying sound of my creation falling apart.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I had a few things of LEGO growing up, but for some reason, never really got into them.

My parents bought my brother and me playmobil. lots of it. castle and ship and things.

My father also still has a working beta-max player and all of our beta tapes.....

But now, I want to buy some LEGO.....

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I like Lego, though I rarely get inspired enough to actually build a significant project.

After a friend got given an Eldar Titan for his birthday, I decided to make something to play against it in Warhammer 40k:

12440777095_DISPLAY.jpg

More images (as well as a bazillion models by other people) at: http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/124963

Raern on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    1906-1.jpg

Another set I got when I was a little kid. I remember it because I was about to go to the doctor and my mom got it for me so I wouldn't be scared.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    psychotixpsychotix __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    How did I miss this thread, I have crates full of this shit. The only thing still intact is....

6990-1.jpg

If I ever have a kid I will make them play with lego's. Not sure if I want them to graduate to warhammer D:

I got runner up in a couple Golden Daemons in Baltimore and I'm seriously debating buying these and painting them up for my desk at work.

btp8.jpg

Since I'm divorced now, I can spend money on such silly things :mrgreen:

I think nerd dads make the best dads. My dad was a jock, with a huge nerd size. Whoda'thunk that an entire child hood of goofing off with electronics can net you 6 figures with no degree later in life!

psychotix on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    fuck yes

Another set I got when I was a little kid. I remember it because I was about to go to the doctor and my mom got it for me so I wouldn't be scared.

I loooved the dragon-knight sets. Those helmets, big fuck-off axes, horse armor, and then the actual dragon figures...

I had a thing for dragons growing up.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    fuck yes

I loooved the dragon-knight sets. Those helmets, big fuck-off axes, horse armor, and then the actual dragon figures...

Ditto. Loved the glow in the dark ghost and wands.

I loved those sets.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    hjp4hjp4 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2010
    What's the best process for creating custom models?

I mean, I can't imagine that some of these huge complex things people build just spring to life from a perfect pile of bricks like some kind of Athena. How do you plan things out?

hjp4 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    fuck yes

Ditto. Loved the glow in the dark ghost and wands.

I loved those sets.

...I have a vague memory of not being able to go to sleep unless I hid the glow-in-the-dark ghost out of sight.

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.