As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] Tatsunoko vs Capcom - Oh my gosh!

• Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    For those wandering about netcode... http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=223443

People are giving mixed reviews but it seems that the closer people are the better the connection will be (as is usual) but when it's good... it's goooood.

YAY!

Snare on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'll be picking this up in about an hour, so I'll post some impressions about the online after I get a few rounds of Arcade Mode in.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Yea, over on Gaf, they are basically saying that overall the online is really good.

but yea, it's better when you are closer to the person.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I want Sylvia from Viewtiful Joe 2.
    Or Amaterasu! Celestial Brush attacks would be pretty awesome.
    Can't really see how a character that low to the ground would work... then again, it's not like Joe is really tall either.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    When you guys starting getting the game and posting your friend codes, by sure to mention the city you live in (or at least a general location) and I'll sort them that way.

Example:

PA Name: Fig-D
    Wii Name: Fig-D
    TvC Code: 1234-1234-1234
    Location: Tustin, CA (if I didn't want to put down my city I'd say SoCal or West Coast)

Fig-D on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Friend code get!

Wii name and TvC name: BTP
    Friend Code: 1935-2070-9123

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I'm having a hard time initially adjusting to punch and kick being the same buttons, so used to the 6 button scheme.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got this today. Might not be on till later since I also got No More Heroes 2.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Surely one of the new characters is broke as shit. With no arcade testing for the new stuff, something couldve snuck through. Seems to be Zero.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=112097

Here is destructoid interviewing people during the NYC launch event at the Nintendo World Center.

Quite entertaining.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=112097

Here is destructoid interviewing people during the NYC launch event at the Nintendo World Center.

Quite entertaining.

haha, i thought the guy explaining why he'd take Roll to the prom was pretty funny.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    TOPolkTOPolk Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Small note regarding the unlocking process...
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but you don't have to beat the game as Roll in order to unlock Ultimate All-Shooters. I just finished it as Frank and Alex and simply collected all of the letters to spell "Thank You For Playing" during the ending mini-game. When I got back to the main menu, the "Extra Game" option was unlocked.

TOPolk on
    http://topolk.blogspot.com
    Wii Friend Code: 8534 4083 2881 0480
    BRAWL: 4425 1130 1718
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    TOPolk wrote: »
    Small note regarding the unlocking process...
    I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but you don't have to beat the game as Roll in order to unlock Ultimate All-Shooters. I just finished it as Frank and Alex and simply collected all of the letters to spell "Thank You For Playing" during the ending mini-game. When I got back to the main menu, the "Extra Game" option was unlocked.

I will make that change then.
    BTP wrote: »
    Friend code get!

Added.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    People are already DCing after I beat them. In Free Mode.

Classy.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    hows ze lag? is the netcode any good?

Guek on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Its hit and miss.

Sometimes I get some really smooth games and sometimes I get games that are comparable to SFIV's two bar matches. I'm hoping someone on these boards who lives in my area will pick it up so I can stop rolling the dice on randoms.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    *discovers the Nunchuck+Remote control mode*
    My thumb wrote:
    emotswoonk.gif

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I've played a few online matches now and have found the netcode awesome, much better than SF4 anyway, I even managed to play against a friend in florida with very little lag...although i'm horrible. I just won my first game due to hitting some random combination of buttons and having robot dogs start flying across the screen savaging people which pretty much insta killed my opponent D:

Anyway

Name: Talios
    Friend Code: 3180-7480-4283

edit: also is there some trick to jun the swans down to back + attack move? i can do all her other moves no problem, I can do every other characters down to back + attack, but i can only get hers to go off like 1/20 tries, it makes no sense =(

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I am still very sad that they didn't include any Resident Evil characters. Though I am thrilled that they added Frank West.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    *discovers the Nunchuck+Remote control mode*
    My thumb wrote:
    emotswoonk.gif

You mean Super Easy Mode?

Also I played with a Classic Controller. My god that thing far surpasses the other consoles controller for fighters it's not even funny.

Algertman on
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I am still very sad that they didn't include any Resident Evil characters. Though I am thrilled that they added Frank West.

:?

Hopefully Chris comes as DLC. Doubt any of the characters do, but it would be nice.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I was hoping they would add leon and give him a bunch of suplexes.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    PeonUPeonU Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    So I hear the character theme music is gone? If true, that fucking sucks ... I swear capcom you really know how to fuck up music in your fighting games lately.

PeonU on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I've played a few online matches now and have found the netcode awesome, much better than SF4 anyway, I even managed to play against a friend in florida with very little lag...although i'm horrible. I just won my first game due to hitting some random combination of buttons and having robot dogs start flying across the screen savaging people which pretty much insta killed my opponent D:

Anyway

Name: Talios
    Friend Code: 3180-7480-4283

edit: also is there some trick to jun the swans down to back + attack move? i can do all her other moves no problem, I can do every other characters down to back + attack, but i can only get hers to go off like 1/20 tries, it makes no sense =(

First, your FC has been added.

Second, Jun's QCB + A move is the detonation for the explosives she puts on her opponent with QCF + A. Each time she connects with her QCF + A she sticks an explosive to her opponent, up to five at once. They'll disappear with time/as she gets hit so QCB + A only works when there are active explosives on her opponent.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Ahh thanks fig, that makes a lot more sense now =)

On an unrelated note i just tried my first ranked game (had been playing free play up until now) it paired me against one of the top rated guys currently, who used ptx-40a to just throw me over and over and there was nothing i could do =(

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    ARgh... My copy won't get here til Thursday I think.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    MelonTronMelonTron Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Got my copy and just finished playing a couple rounds of arcade mode. I think I'm confident enough to try my luck online now.

Name: JAB
    Friend Code: 4683-9866-4805

MelonTron on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    PeonU wrote: »
    So I hear the character theme music is gone? If true, that fucking sucks ... I swear capcom you really know how to fuck up music in your fighting games lately.

Natsuma said they could only get the lisences for some of the characters on this side of the pond. Getting the VAs was already a complete bitch in paperwork to deal with just importing, let alone the multilisenced music. The amount of money it would cost to import themes for 20+ characters would be ridiculous. Instead they just gave us new stages, music, and characters, with balancing and a refined online system from the japanese release.

You're making it sound like they did it on purpose to intentionally sabotage their own game. Instead of spending money on japanese theme music for anime characters from the 70s and 80s, they opted to use their money wisely on what western audiences would rather have. Hardly what I would call 'fucking things up'. When TvC originally came out EVERYONE was sure that it wouldnt come here, yet capcom pulls off a miracle and brings it here.

You really can't please some people.

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Didn't Capcom say this games US numbers would determine future VS titles? You know, a Japan heavy game released on the same day as Mass Effect 2.

I love this game. Crazy fun.

I want a Toriyama v. Capcom game.

Algertman on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    Algertman wrote: »
    Didn't Capcom say this games US numbers would determine future VS titles? You know, a Japan heavy game released on the same day as Mass Effect 2 AND No More Heroes 2 AND MAG.
    Hardly anyone on this side of the ocean has any familiarity with Tatsunoko. They'll get to sell the tweaked version again in Japan for another 20-30k, so they should be fine as far as monies, but still D:

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It would have been nice if they would have left the Capcom themes in though.

But yeah, if TvsC sells well enough, then we'll probably get another vs. game.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can't believe the music thing either. I totally understand the licensing issue with Tatsunoko, and I'm cool none of THEIR themes are in it. But why no Capcom music? I really liked a lot of the character themes, including Alex's Jazzy NYC from SF III and Viewtiful Joe's unique music.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    *everyone* online seems to use the giant characters (g.lightan and ptx-40a) and its making me want to put my head through the wall...any tricks to fighting these guys?

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    *everyone* online seems to use the giant characters (g.lightan and ptx-40a) and its making me want to put my head through the wall...any tricks to fighting these guys?

Beam characters. There's a lot on this game so you should be pretty safe.

Algertman on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Saki is supposed to wreck their shit up good.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Restart wrote: »
    I can't believe the music thing either. I totally understand the licensing issue with Tatsunoko, and I'm cool none of THEIR themes are in it. But why no Capcom music? I really liked a lot of the character themes, including Alex's Jazzy NYC from SF III and Viewtiful Joe's unique music.
    Natsuma's attitude seemed like it was all-in or go home when it came to the music. He couldnt get them all, and seemed weirded out about how incomplete the game would feel if only half the characters had their themes. The current way is just better business and resource sense, it would have cost them much more to do it this way.

If you imported the first TvC each character switch changed the stage music. What happens if they did import JUST the capcom music and none of the TvC? You would either have to keep the default stage music and change when a capcom character appears (which would sound retardedly weird) or develop 15 new original pieces for the rest of the Tatsunoko characters (including paying teams for development time, composing, and branding costs for each theme).

Bringing the game (or any japanese game) here from overseas ALWAYS has incredible risks because the markets that pay attention to popular japanese games is so niche, it almost never is profitable. So Devs like Natsuma have to make sure that resources go to the proper areas to cater to western markets ie. unlockables, alternate game modes and smoother netplay with awesome options.

Trust me on this one. No one on this forum loves Viewtiful Joe more than I do (okay maybe one guy), I LOOOOOVE the VFJ's Standing Ovation. But sometimes you just have to sit back and enjoy what you get: A well polished game worth your money.

delphinus on
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I can understand the sentiment of not having Tatsunoko's side music, and it being incomplete. It especially shows when they decided to go ahead and replace all the ending pics with Udon art instead of mixing it with the originals.

It just seems like some stage in particular could have reused the music and matched, like the Legends hangar using Volnutt's theme, etc. A big part of these VS games are the characters, and, especially for me, the awesome music that went along with them. It's part of what makes MvC so cool compared to MvC2.

That being said, I've seen very few people complain about this. It definitely doesn't seem to be a major concern, at all, to the Western audience. Ah well D:

edit: Man, I hope VJ returns one day...

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Restart wrote: »
    edit: Man, I hope VJ returns one day...

Fuck.
    You and me both man.

delphinus on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time initially adjusting to punch and kick being the same buttons, so used to the 6 button scheme.

I know what you mean. I've been sticking with Ryu so I can clearly see the differences in the way he attacks between this game and the SFII games on Virtual Console so I can try to get used to it. It just seems weird when you want to do a hurricane kick and you sometimes end up doing a hadoken and it makes you think "Didn't I press kick?", but there's no kick for this game. :P

Luckily enough, my old SFII SNES layout is still working wonders after all these years, and here's how it looks modified for TvC.

Light = B
    Medium = Y
    Hard = L (and R)
    L+M+H = X
    Partner = A

With time, I should be able to activate supers extreme ease (either with X, or with Y+B), and I'll probably be Mega-Crashing like crazy thanks to X+A.

If you can start a match (Arcade or otherwise) with controller 2, I'll leave that at default for whenever I want to use my stick.

Fig-D wrote: »
    BTP wrote: »
    Friend code get!

Added.

Do you mean you added me to the OP, or did you add me into your friend roster?

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    If you are Batsu and Frank West is your partner it makes your Lvl. 3 hyper combo is a team up with West. Freaking Cool.

Algertman on