As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Not the Bees!!! [SCIENCE]

• Options
    Fort1tudeFort1tude Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    OK so I've met one now.

you havent met shit you silly goose, im on the fence because i dont think the risks even come close to being outweighed by the benefits

but no, just keep making snide remarks, why dont you go ahead and insult my intelligence while you are at it

seems that you are better at that than discussing the issue at hand

what the fuck ever happened to critically thinking?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    BYToady wrote: »
    We stopped advancing nuclear power after 3 mile island and Chernobyl

No, we stopped building plants

We never stopped researching new and more advanced ways to use nuclear energy

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    L|ama wrote: »

that is nifty and something for sure to look into

i guess the guy just assumed i was 100% against it, or doesnt actually want to discuss it, just wants to make fun of people

after a brief skimming i notice they only mention a breeding ratio of slightly higher than 1.00, which is crap

and the notable reactors are all decommissioned or in the process of becoming decommissioned

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    We stopped advancing nuclear power after 3 mile island and Chernobyl

No, we stopped building plants

We never stopped researching new and more advanced ways to use nuclear energy

(I was being sarcastic, I'm sorry)

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    so wait, these reactors only require a small amount of fuel to start, then even smaller doses of material to keep going? with no waste? cause i am not seeing anything talking about how much waste is actually produced

at that point isn't the only problem with keeping people from attempting to blow the whole plant up?

am i missing something or is this actually that awesome?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    Shifty FisterShifty Fister Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    they still produce some waste but a much lower amount

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    New processing techniques which remove the actinides make the waste dangerous for only 300 years instead of millenia. Reprocessing can recover 95% of the uranium and actinides from spent fuel rods. Depleted uranium has various fun uses, such as killing people in the form of awesome bullets, and according to Bill Gates it is apparently now usable as fuel.

Most importantly, the public health and environmental concerns associated with radioactive waste are significantly less serious than those associated with current accepted technologies such as coal power. Radioactive waste comprises less than 1% of current total industrial toxic wastes and one report says the population effective radiation dose from coal power byproducts is 100 times that of nuclear byproducts.

I stole all this from wikipedia.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
    tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fort1tude wrote:
    you havent met shit you silly goose, im on the fence because i dont think the risks even come close to being outweighed by the benefits

but no, just keep making snide remarks, why dont you go ahead and insult my intelligence while you are at it

seems that you are better at that than discussing the issue at hand

what the fuck ever happened to critically thinking?

Maybe you are just taking shit too seriously? I don't know if you noticed, but this is the internet.
    arguing_on_internet.jpg

Also breeder reactors are apparently not commercially available yet.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ok so i was misinformed, and my opinion has shifted

isnt actually discussing things fun?

EDIT: so your defense for being a silly goose is "lol internet"?

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i would say depleted uranium being usable as bullets isn't necessarily a point i would want to yell from the rooftops in the name of nuclear power

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    How was I being a silly goose? Hippies who want to save the environment but hate nuclear power deserve to be laughed at maliciously.

Edit: I mean people who are adamantly against it. Of course it is always a good idea to think critically.

And Shifty bullets are awesome I don't know what you are on about.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    i would say depleted uranium being usable as bullets isn't necessarily a point i would want to yell from the rooftops in the name of nuclear power

and isnt there mounting evidence that the depleted slugs are still radioactive?

i remember reading something about increased cancer rates recently

EDIT: again, your response shouldnt be to laugh maliciously at people who you deem ignorant, if you are such a big proponent you should be striving to change their minds

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Fort1tude wrote: »

and isnt there mounting evidence that the depleted slugs are still radioactive?

i remember reading something about increased cancer rates recently

Maybe they just shot all the people that weren't going to get cancer.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

them browns gots to die one way or another

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm pretty sure there is concern about that. I was being a wee bit sarcastic about them being awesome. But depleted uranium is useful.
    EDIT: again, your response shouldnt be to laugh maliciously at people who you deem ignorant, if you are such a big proponent you should be striving to change their minds
    Well you can strive to change minds and I will go around making people feel bad to make myself feel better. Then we can all be happy. Tomatoes tomahtoes.

edit: anyway I wasn't tryin' to be a dick.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    the exact effects of depleted uranium waste on civilian populations is a point of contention but it is a toxic metal so even disregarding the chance that it is causing cancer or w/e it still is a heavy metal and all the bad shit that happens with heavy metal poisoning still applies

t YoSoy; i am a pacifist so bullets is all boohoo for me

Shifty Fister on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah I'm pretty sure there is concern about that. I was being a wee bit sarcastic about them being awesome. But depleted uranium is useful.
    Well you can strive to change minds and I will go around making people feel bad to make myself feel better. Then we can all be happy. Tomatoes tomahtoes.

except you dont make people feel bad, just angry, at you

but i guess do whatever makes you happy, just dont expect anyone to care when you get hit by a bus or something
    a nuclear powered bus

Fort1tude on
    Steam ID - Fort1tude
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If I get hit by a nuclear powered bus I will die happy.

YoSoyTheWalrus on
  • Options
    gazamcgazamc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    interesting power realted science!

http://www.technologyreview.com/advertisement.aspx?ad=energy&id=60&redirect=%2FEnergy%2F19758%2F%3Fa%3Df

http://www.theness.com/roguesgallery/?p=1366

Working in the energy sector I really quite enjoy reading about new ideas and advances in the field. Some cool ideas surface regularly.

gazamc on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    seriously someone gimme a few billion dollars to make fusion happen commercially

I promise I'll only sort of hold onto a monopoly

L|ama on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Giant crabs!

delicious

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    "A woman has opened fire at a university in the southern US state of Alabama, killing three people and wounding at least three more, officials have said.

She was apprehended outside a science building at the University of Alabama's Huntsville campus, shortly after firing on people at a biology faculty meeting."

My money is on crazy stupid fundie.

L|ama on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    crazy stupid fundie.

redundant

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    THE STUDY OF LIFE, HUH?

WELL, HOW ABOUT I GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO STUDY DEATH?

AHAHAHA BLAM BLAMBLAM

ChicoBlue on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The crazy wasn't a description of sanity, but rather just how stupid. Like being crazy rich.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

I was expecting this to be significantly more sexy.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    THE STUDY OF LIFE, HUH?

WELL, HOW ABOUT I GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO STUDY DEATH?

AHAHAHA BLACK BETTY BAMBALAM

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The crazy wasn't a description of sanity, but rather just how stupid. Like being crazy rich.

it was intentionally ambiguous, it is both.

L|ama on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Fort1tude wrote: »
    the idea of nuclear energy still makes Americans skittish

Is this true? I know people say this all the time, but I've never actually met anyone who finds nuclear power to be dangerous. I've never even found anyone like that on the internet, and I've met anti-vaxxers, GW denialists, creationists, furries and whatever the fuck those guys over on 4chan are on the internet.

Has anyone ever actually talked to someone who is scared of nuclear power? Did you laugh in their face? Or cry because it's so sad that society allows them to exist?

so how would you dispose of nuclear waste in a safe manner?

i'm not saying i am for or against, but if we rely on nuclear power then the amount of waste will increase while available storage decreases

but no, don't question anything, just laugh in peoples faces and pity them

suck my dick

The amount of radioactive waste that spews out of a smokestack in a coal-fired plant's lifetime makes a nuclear plant's waste look pristine. Would you rather have it in the air or in the ground? You can at least put the stuff in the ground in another reactor to finish it off.

MKR on
  • Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    we should shoot our waste into space

let the aliens sort it out

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35351575/ns/technology_and_science-science/

Scientists freeze water with heat
    Special films change electrical charge depending on their temperature

redfenix on
  • Options
    elaine_honeywellelaine_honeywell Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Water's properties have mostly to do with how the molecules arrange themselves. H2O has good organization.

Nuclear power needs to be integrated into the framework of our generative infrastructure just as much as solar, wind and hydro. Generally Homer Simpsons are not allowed to work in real nuclear power plants. Two cents.

elaine_honeywell on
    - I...AM...RUUUUUUDE!
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    gods damnit druhims stupid barefoot running throwback-to-savannah-crap made the cnn front page

Weaver on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    right next to

werewolves or vampires

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The article about why Buzz will be a hit made me LOL. What in the hell? Pete Cashmore, you look like Brad Pitt but you're blowing your WIS and observation checks.

elaine_honeywell on
    - I...AM...RUUUUUUDE!
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm seeing what it would take to divorce myself from google completely. I'm trimming the hell out of my web presence to see if I can start controlling it through one portal.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I've turned off Buzz and altered all of my iGoogle settings to pretty much total privacy except for Reader. So if anyone at work sees anything through their Buzz, it'll be mostly posts from BoingBoing that I've shared for my parents.

Srsly Google WTF.

elaine_honeywell on
    - I...AM...RUUUUUUDE!
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'm not necessarily concerned about privacy, it's more of just an experiment brought on because of security concerns and because I really have no need for Buzz.

So I've cleared pretty much everything from my google profile, deleted anything I posted on buzz and then unfollowed and blocked the 40 people that google felt I should be following, and then turned off buzz on gmail.

I also had to go and unfollow them on reader, I think.

Then I deleted the couple of videos I had on youtube, unlinked that account from google and then deleted the account.

I didn't know that if you delete your account without getting rid of the videos, your channel and videos remain on there forever.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm starting to think that writing letters as well as IRL interaction is going to be rediscovered pretty damn soon.

Huh. Google Meatspace.

elaine_honeywell on
    - I...AM...RUUUUUUDE!
This discussion has been closed.