As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's a funny show that I should watch

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited May 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey guys so I'm out of funny shows to watch. I'm all caught up with Venture Bros., Metalocalypse, Reno 911, Burn Notice and Family Guy and I need to be amused. So what's worth watching out there that will ideally make me also giggle

I'm in the process of getting caught up on Mad Men but it's kind of a little slow and serious sometimes. Movies are also good if they don't suck. I just watched Zombieland and loved it.

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I like scrubs. House is supposed to be good. You may enjoy the office... Though I'd recommend the UK version first. If you like that, move to Extras.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Community

Modern Family

Archer

EDIT: Parks and Recreation (second season)

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Ramen NoodleRamen Noodle whoa, god has a picture of me! Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Community

Modern Family

Archer

30 Rock also.

Ramen Noodle on
  • Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Community

Modern Family

Archer

Parks and Rec has really found out what it's doing. Holy shit it's good now.

"YOUUUUU KILLLEEEED ME, JERRRRYYYYY, NOW I'M GOING TO HAUUUUNT YOUUUUU!!! I'LL FOLLOW YOU AROUND PLAYING BLACK-EYED PEAS ON INFINITE LOOOOOOOOOOOP"

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Spaced.

Liiya on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Psych, Californication, Always Sunny in Phili, Breaking Bad, Better off Ted, Steven Seagal: Lawman, Hyperdrive

Cabezone on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I watched the UK Office and cringed half of the way through it. The American Office I watched up until they got engaged or whatever and fell out of habit with it. Dwight got pretty awesome though.

Scrubs I thought was hells of funny when it first came out but man is that still ongoing? Does it not run out of steam?

House is just silly. The character is fine, the show on the whole is just dumb. What's this Parks and Rec?

Also I thought Wondershowzen was really awesome until they decided to just be obnoxious.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Drawn Together

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh, seen Spaced and Always Sunny is totally awesome.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Archer

Limed so hard.

Its on hulu now. Watch it you will enjoy it

(its written by the same guy(s) behind Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo.

You should also watch Frisky Dingo if you haven't yet. The first episode is a little bland, but by the 2nd and 3rd episode things get glorious and stay their for the remainder of the series.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Arrested Development, Frisky Dingo, Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog(Not a show perse, but still awesome)

If you liked the sensibilities of Scrubs, you might dig Cougar Town as it's by the same folks. Don't let the name throw you off. In fact, while at it watch Better of Ted and Modern Family.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    MadnessBAMadnessBA Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ... arrested development? but you've probably already seen it since everybody should have.

MadnessBA on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Archer

How I Met Your Mother

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Be like me and catch up on your classic British comedies. I managed to get a lot of old VHS tapes for free, though.

You need Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, and I guess Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf is probably the weakest overall for pure laughs, but it's charming enough.

Slightly more recent I would suggest The Day Today. After that you owe it to yourself to catch up with Alan Partridge: first Knowing Me, Knowing You, then I'm Alan Partridge. The first series of I'm Alan Partridge especially: it's got to be, minute for minute, one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The writing is astounding.

Also, and this is a long shot, People Like Us. The humour is so dry that some people I show it to don't even realize it's a comedy for the first 20 minutes of an episode, and they're really hard to find. I think most of the episodes are on youtube.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    30 rock! it is up for live streaming on netflix if you have it

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Brass Eye
    Big Train
    I'm Alan Partridge
    Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Black Books.

Comedy quiz shows:
    Never Mind the Buzzcocks
    QI
    Mock the Week (lot of jokes based on Brit news, so actually probably not that great an idea)

Ginger Mijango on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Chuck and Castle, as far as shows currently airing. You could just start watching Castle without any major issues, but for Chuck you'd be a lot better off watching at least the major episodes of the first 2 seasons before watching what's on now.

Ketar on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    echoing Community, Modern Family, 30 Rock, and Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    bentbent Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Off the top of my head are Mr. Show, Arrested Development, Garth Marenghis Darkplace. Also another vote for Spaced, back when Simon Pegg was great.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Page- wrote: »
    Be like me and catch up on your classic British comedies. I managed to get a lot of old VHS tapes for free, though.

You need Blackadder, Fawlty Towers, Yes Minister, and I guess Red Dwarf. Red Dwarf is probably the weakest overall for pure laughs, but it's charming enough.

Slightly more recent I would suggest The Day Today. After that you owe it to yourself to catch up with Alan Partridge: first Knowing Me, Knowing You, then I'm Alan Partridge. The first series of I'm Alan Partridge especially: it's got to be, minute for minute, one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. The writing is astounding.

Also, and this is a long shot, People Like Us. The humour is so dry that some people I show it to don't even realize it's a comedy for the first 20 minutes of an episode, and they're really hard to find. I think most of the episodes are on youtube.

I'm also looking for some good [British] comedies.

Add to your list, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, and Peep Show.

Slider on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I'll recommand Archer as well. Check the first two episodes on Hulu, they are.... just the tip

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I came in here to say Sunny in philly

mooshoepork on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Page- wrote: »

I'm also looking for some good [British] comedies.

Add to your list, The Inbetweeners, The IT Crowd, and Peep Show.

The IT Crowd is pretty good, if only for Chris Morris as the boss. Other than that it's just above average sitcom. Like Black Books. Not bad, but not classic.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    I was going to say How I Met Your Mother as well, but that was already taken.

I would like to recommend J Pod. It was a pretty good canadian show, although very short lived. I don't think it lasted one season.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    Archer

How I Met Your Mother

Lorek on
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Big Bang Theory.

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you haven't seen Frisky Dingo you are missing out. It's the best thing Adult Swim has put out.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    They've both already been said, but Psych and Archer are good. I get a good laugh out of Community also.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    No one's mentioned Futurama yet.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I would like to recommend J Pod. It was a pretty good canadian show, although very short lived. I don't think it lasted one season.

Is it better than the book? Because I really couldn't get into the book given how much of it felt like an updated retread of microserfs.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Pheezer wrote: »

Is it better than the book? Because I really couldn't get into the book given how much of it felt like an updated retread of microserfs.

I gather it shares the basic setting and a few of the plotlines with the book (which I haven't read, for what it's worth), but is otherwise pretty fresh. I was turned off by the twee concept - 'quirky' IT types dicking around and angsting - but the cast and pacing were good enough to see me through a slightly shaky first episode, and I was solidly hooked after that. Annoyingly, it was another one of these series that just seemed to be getting into its stride upon cancellation, but I'd say the season's easily worth the meagre time investment.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Cabezone wrote: »
    Breaking Bad

Wat.

Great show for sure... but... funny? o_O

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    That Mitchell and Webb Look

it is really good. You have netflix? first season is watch it now.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'll second Mitchell and Webb. Surprisingly consistent for a sketch show.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    My husband loves Better Off Ted and cackles like a madman while watching it.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Archer is hilarious.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Definitely definitely watch Psych and Community. Chuck is good too, as is Modern Family.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    Archer is hilarious.

Agreed

Pheezer on
  • Options
    histronichistronic Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    If you have a subscription to netflix then I definitely recommend Weeds. Also, I'll tack another vote on for Arrested Development.

histronic on
    WiiU Friend Code: rlinkmanl
    PSN: rlinkmanl