As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation...from the Weeessssssssssssssssssssst

• Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah the 60s-80s had a really weird quality drop animation-wise

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh man I wasnt really getting into Regular Show. But then I about died watching The Power. That was such a great episode and if they do more of that I am defienitly a fan.

And then rest of you better watch out! Or you will get some hambonin'!

Bedlam on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    yeah the 60s-80s had a really weird quality drop animation-wise

Most of the shit went from theaters to TV shows with an insane drop in the budget.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_animation#History
    Limited animation was originally founded as an artistic device, though it was soon used widely as a cost-cutting measure rather than an aesthetic method. The UPA studio made the first serious effort to abandon the keyframe heavy approach perfected by Disney. Their first effort at limited animation, Gerald McBoing-Boing, won an Oscar, and it provided the impetus for this animation method to be accepted at the major Hollywood cartoon studios, including Warner Brothers and MGM. However, the real attraction of limited animation was the reduction in costs: because limited animation doesn't require as many drawings as fully keyframed animations, it is much less expensive to produce. The 1950s saw all of the major cartoon studios change their style to limited animation, to the point where painstaking detail in animation occurred only rarely.

Limited animation techniques in America were used during the 1960s and 1970s to produce a great number of inexpensive Saturday morning cartoons. Such TV series as Clutch Cargo are known for being produced on extremely low budgets, with camera tricks used in place of actual animation. Despite the low quality of the animation, the TV cartoon studios Hanna-Barbera, Jay Ward and Filmation thrived during this period. The desire of the time to emulate full animation with limited animation led to many highly apparent visual issues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFnLirXjjto
    This is probably the worst of the lot.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ah that explains it

but not the mouths

the mouths are just

i

how

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I remember that clip from Pulp Fiction. I always wondered if that horror was real and now I know. Thanks, couscous!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HenZ4Z7w0qM

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    ah that explains it

but not the mouths

the mouths are just

i

how

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncro-Vox
    Syncro-Vox (sometimes spelled Synchro-Vox) is a filming method which combines static images with moving images, the most common effect of which is to simulate talking lips on a photograph of a celebrity or a cartoon drawing. It is one of the most extreme examples of the cost-cutting strategy of limited animation. The method was developed by cameraman Edwin "Ted" Gillette in the 1950s in order to simulate talking animals in television commercials. Gillette filed the technique on February 4, 1952, and obtained patent #2,739,505 on March 27, 1956.[1]

Because animating a mouth in synchronization with sound was difficult, Syncro-Vox was soon used as a cheap animation technique, most famously in the cartoons produced by Cambria Studios: Clutch Cargo, Space Angel, and Captain Fathom, in which actors' lips voicing the scripted dialogue were laid over the animated figures.[2]
    They were that cheap. I think I prefer mouths animated by shoddy Korean animators to that.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Oh man I wasnt really getting into Regular Show. But then I about died watching The Power. That was such a great episode and if they do more of that I am defienitly a fan.

And then rest of you better watch out! Or you will get some hambonin'!

Which is a bit weird, because The Power was the first episode!

Dranyth on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Say whaaaaaaaaaaat!

Bedlam on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The coffee bean episode is what won me over.

:whistle:Workin' for the Weekend:whistle:

Godfather on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Godfather wrote: »
    The coffee bean episode is what won me over.

:whistle:Workin' for the Weekend:whistle:

Coffee coffee coffee coffeeee!

see317 on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    FIIIIIIST PUUUUUUMP!

BigBear on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    ah that explains it

but not the mouths

the mouths are just

i

how

the incredibles had an amazing parody of a Synchro Vox cartoon as an easter egg on the DVD

Antimatter on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Can we blame Hanna-Barbara for shit cartoons during the 60s onward? Is that whose to blame.

JJ on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »
    ah that explains it

but not the mouths

the mouths are just

i

how

the incredibles had an amazing parody of a Synchro Vox cartoon as an easter egg on the DVD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JxsZEZPkYE

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    John K has some good rants on his blog about a few of those studios. I forget which studio it was now, but one of them encouraged animators to trace the characters right off the model sheets.

Even as a kid I thought the Fleischer Superman cartoons were awesome. I always hated when crap like Superfriends would come on because I knew nothing was ever going to happen.

I even remember one episode of Fantastic Four where Richards beat Magneto by making a gun out of wood, then betting Magneto he couldn't control it. Magneto over strained his powers and collapsed. To my 5 year old mind that was the cheapest shit ever, and I always hated Fantastic Four after that.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Fantastic Four has almost always been shit regardless of medium, with a few exceptions and parodies that stand as the exception to the rule. Namely Marvel 1602, where they were a little cool.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like to watch Fleischer's Popeye cartoons* and see if I can find stuff which influenced Mario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nszz_g8EDKk

...I'd honestly be a bit surprised if the goons didn't inspire the Piantas in Super Mario Sunshine.

* I know there were comics before that, but the cartoons are easier to come by.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    edited September 2010

can we just nominate pixar as the greatest cartoon studio ever
    JJ wrote: »
    Can we blame Hanna-Barbara for shit cartoons during the 60s onward? Is that whose to blame.

HB can be really terrible but they had decently funny writing at times

and their huge crossover movies were awesome

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I don't think we have to.

They win by default.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    This Russian cartoon always looked great to me. The Soviets beat Hannah-Barbera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EFupFkMWVc&feature=related

emnmnme on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The Kitten Called Woof is just adorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vhzr6ASkBE

Glal on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

They win by default.

That's not even the best part! They also had an in character COMMENTARY for the cartoon! Frozone was...not pleased.

Edit: Here we go:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R44MvXeEQw&feature=related

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited September 2010

They win by default.

That's not even the best part! They also had an in character COMMENTARY for the cartoon! Frozone was...not pleased.

yeah, I was disappointed that they lacked the commentary on that vid

Antimatter on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That commentary is awesome

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

JJ wrote: »

HB can be really terrible but they had decently funny writing at times

and their huge crossover movies were awesome

Mr. Barbera made a comment before they started on Yogi-Bear in Space (1978) - wondering why even he couldn't stand his own companies work.

Honestly - since the 40's the US industry has never really recovered from the many mergers and economic depressions that tend to hurt animation production. What also hurts is that the animators union is not a performer based union like sag and wga are (you have to make a certain amount of money to get there healthcare benefits which means you actually have to bust your behind in order to be apart of the union)

Novid on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Honestly the drop in animation quality for TV was universal... we all gripe about how crap H-B looked, but that's largely because they were so prolific and remembered. Even Warner Bros. clamped down pretty damn hard on their animators, and it's not as if they were untalented hacks. (Remember the lousy late 60s Road Runner/Speedy Gonzalez cartoons?)

Things didn't really start improving until the 80s, and even then the improvement was gradual.

What's interesting is that the switch to digital animation (drawing on computers rather than drawing on cels) has made it nigh-impossible to make a traditionally-drawn show that looks bad. Though poorly-done Flash and CGI can look pretty crap, though.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Honestly the drop in animation quality for TV was universal... we all gripe about how crap H-B looked, but that's largely because they were so prolific and remembered. Even Warner Bros. clamped down pretty damn hard on their animators, and it's not as if they were untalented hacks. (Remember the lousy late 60s Road Runner/Speedy Gonzalez cartoons?)

Things didn't really start improving until the 80s, and even then the improvement was gradual.

What's interesting is that the switch to digital animation (drawing on computers rather than drawing on cels) has made it nigh-impossible to make a traditionally-drawn show that looks bad. Though poorly-done Flash and CGI can look pretty crap, though.

Wasn't that mostly attributed to Japan though? Most shows seems to me to be either imports from Japan or outsourced there during that decade.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »

Wasn't that mostly attributed to Japan though? Most shows seems to me to be either imports from Japan or outsourced there during that decade.

Do you mean the 80s? The anime boom didn't really hit the mainstream till the late 90s, and pretty much every animated TV show outsourced their animation to Korea starting in the late 60s.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

They win by default.

:( Sorry it was the first one I saw.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Do you mean the 80s? The anime boom didn't really hit the mainstream till the late 90s, and pretty much every animated TV show outsourced their animation to Korea starting in the late 60s.

Correction, they moved to Korea starting in the mid/late 70's.

As for the anime boom - their were three major ones: mid 1960's - late 1970's, mid 90's to 2007 the latter being the longest.

Novid on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    The Seth McFarlane shows are animated in Korea and they're not full of talking heads. What gives?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »
    The Seth McFarlane shows are animated in Korea and they're not full of talking heads. What gives?

this is either a very good joke or a tragic misunderstanding

Rust on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Russians did some decent stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRsXU4Q6a0Q

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme wrote: »

There isn't much action at all.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Novid wrote: »

Correction, they moved to Korea starting in the mid/late 70's.

As for the anime boom - their were three major ones: mid 1960's - late 1970's, mid 90's to 2007 the latter being the longest.

Actually I distinctively recall seeing an ep of Scooby Doo made in 1969, and was surprised to find out in the credits it was animated in Korea (by Akom, actually).

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited September 2010

They win by default.

:( Sorry it was the first one I saw.

haha, it's fine, I couldn't find the commentary video either, else I'd have posted it.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Prince Vladimir. It was sponsored by the Russian Orthodox Church.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BigBearBigBear If your life had a face, I would punch it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Russian animation, eh?

Did you guys know there was a Russian version of Winnie the Pooh?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuBzKV6XgvA

Pretty adorable.

BigBear on
This discussion has been closed.