As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Animation...from the Weeessssssssssssssssssssst

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Man. Apocalypse was pretty awful.

it was fairly meh.

The action and animation is definitely getting better but that plot was just so empty and stupid.

Also that upper lip thing needs to go.

Meh is way to good for that movie. Gotta disagree on the action aside from maybe the stuff involving the furies (that's with one r for those not in the know ;)).

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2010
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I just watched the first episode of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, and it really does have all the trappings of an American cartoon. Each episode is made-up of two 11 minute stories, each story has a unique title card, and the humor is along the lines of the sort of stuff you'd see in one of those rare Adult Swim shows that is actually good. It feels like a raunchy, Comedy Central-style version of the Powerpuff Girls. You've also got to love a show that makes the shit demon from Dogma the first villain.

It was so much better than I was expecting.

And thankfully much less creepy than I was expecting.

Less creepy?

What exactly were you expecting praytell, because what I watched had chibis fucking everything that moved and strippers nigh-masturbating on screen.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the second part was a lot of fun, but the first part was puerile to the extreme.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just watched the first episode of Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, and it really does have all the trappings of an American cartoon. Each episode is made-up of two 11 minute stories, each story has a unique title card, and the humor is along the lines of the sort of stuff you'd see in one of those rare Adult Swim shows that is actually good. It feels like a raunchy, Comedy Central-style version of the Powerpuff Girls. You've also got to love a show that makes the shit demon from Dogma the first villain.

It was so much better than I was expecting.

And thankfully much less creepy than I was expecting.

Less creepy?

What exactly were you expecting praytell, because what I watched had chibis fucking everything that moved and strippers nigh-masturbating on screen.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the second part was a lot of fun, but the first part was puerile to the extreme.
    I mean, I was expecting the wierd sexual stuff.

I wasn't expecting all of the wierd sexual stuff to be utterly jeuvenile self-aware parodies meant to take the piss out of creepy otaku fetishes.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2010
    And Musashi Gun-doh was a genius parody of terrible anime, right?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yo just mad its making fun of your precious moe.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2010
    To change gears, did Symbionic Titan get any better?

Just got around to checking out episode 3.

They weren't working together, so the robot started watching/taking advice from the animal version of Vegetales. Meanwhile, the army accidentally created a giant evil cloud, but since they couldn't work together, they were losing until the robot started playing a vegetales song about teamwork which taught them a valuable lesson.

So...

No.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2010

Sometimes strippers and shit represents strippers and shit.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Sometimes strippers and shit represents strippers and shit.

That's deep.

I'm going to go to my local gentleman's club and study this more.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

They weren't working together, so the robot started watching/taking advice from the animal version of Vegetales. Meanwhile, the army accidentally created a giant evil cloud, but since they couldn't work together, they were losing until the robot started playing a vegetales song about teamwork which taught them a valuable lesson.

So...

No.

Wow.

Are we sure this is really a Tartakovsky show?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So...

No.

Well, I guess I still have Young Justice to look forward to in November.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    And Musashi Gun-doh was a genius parody of terrible anime, right?

It-Wasnt-Lousy-Sex.gif

Couscous on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So...

No.

Wow.

Are we sure this is really a Tartakovsky show?

Yeah, I've got to say I'm a little disappointed so far. Though Samurai Jack was great at building up atmosphere and moodiness, this show seems to spend more time wallowing in unfunny sitcommy stuff and filler.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »

So...

No.

I'm still enjoying Rex! Although I have no idea what to make of the rabbit/prom episode.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    couscous why did you not also post the alt comic?

This is very troubling...

Bedlam on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Sometimes we have to remember that Genndy Tartakovsky is mortal, too.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »

So...

No.

Looking forward to this so much. I'm hoping that at the very least DC decides to reprint the comic in trades to celebrate the show or some such.

(Dangit DC I want to give you my money why don't you let me)

Slicer on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, Symbionic Titan is really bland if visually interesting.

I think I'd watch Panty and Stocking just because it looks pretty, but I hear its pretty funny so I may just listen to it with the sound turned on.

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2010
    I think I'd watch Panty and Stocking just because it looks pretty, but I hear its pretty funny so I may just listen to it with the sound turned on.

It's hard to get a good handle on what it is. Each episode is split into two 11 minute segments. The second was just one long car chase scene that was pretty cool and felt almost identical to a slightly raunchier Tartakovsky action sequence. The first segment was about toilets eating people, ending up with one of the characters covered in shit, the entire city vomitting all over the place, and then they killed the shit monster like this.

Seriously, NSFW
    And that's why we will never have an anime thread ever again.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    NovidNovid Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

It's hard to get a good handle on what it is. Each episode is split into two 11 minute segments. The second was just one long car chase scene that was pretty cool and felt almost identical to a slightly raunchier Tartakovsky action sequence. The first segment was about toilets eating people, ending up with one of the characters covered in shit, the entire city vomitting all over the place, and then they killed the shit monster like this.

Seriously, NSFW
    And that's why we will never have an anime thread ever again.

Actually the show isnt horrible - It is something that can succeed in the states but then again the businesses that are the dubbers are mentally insane and have no sense of business. I would call them all fucking liberal racist bastards ala Rick Sanchez, but I realize that a new series of the Thundercats is coming back and im in regardless what happens in the rest of the industry North American or Japanese...

Novid on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    What a waste of fantastic animation.

Godfather on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks like a fun show to me. But fanservice doesn't bother me. Plus the fanservice here at least has something to do with the overall concept of the show, unlike say Bleach or One Piece suddenly throwing boobs in your face.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I'd already seen that actually. The animation was really nice; I didn't mind the fanservice. I thought it was funny. And why not spend the money on it? Doubtless Gainax is saving a little bit of money due to the stylization they opted to use for the majority of the show, they just used that extra on a small portion of animation.

And hey what is happening with Thundercats?

Muse Among Men on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Yeah, I'd already seen that actually. The animation was really nice; I didn't mind the fanservice. I thought it was funny. And why not spend the money on it? Doubtless Gainax is saving a little bit of money due to the stylization they opted to use for the majority of the show, they just used that extra on a small portion of animation.

And hey what is happening with Thundercats?

New show, Warner Bros. is doing it. The voice of Lion-O is back for it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Looks like a fun show to me. But fanservice doesn't bother me. Plus the fanservice here at least has something to do with the overall concept of the show, unlike say Bleach or One Piece suddenly throwing boobs in your face.

HotD.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I just went into an african restaurant and saw something CG that looked like a cheap animation of a Phatasy star series...sort of a mix of phatasy star and Rescue heroes, some of the good guys looked like ogres.

What is Phatasy Star? Is it like Phantasy Star, only the female characters have phat asses?

It was the tech and the fact that we had elf like females, average sized men (both with various hair colors), and several male character that were 3 times the width of the average males.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    New Iron Man anime is pretty neat looking, although I'm guessing renegade playboy billionaire in Japan means that he doesn't button his jacket.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    aaaannnd they're all taken down. great.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

HotD.

I normally hate the relentless boob shots myself, but considering the genre, I find it more than appropriate for Highschool of the Dead.

Series is awesome.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Panty and Stocking is pretty excellent. Mindblowing animation and style aside, it's not trying to be some masterfully crafted tale of malice and revenge. It's fast-paced explosions and cars and colors and strippers and awesome. Besides, it's only the first episode. It's kinda the episode where they have to introduce everyone and be all "this chaacter's like this, while this character's like this!"

TheBog on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The second half of the episode with the car chase was just beautiful.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    CrownAxeCrownAxe Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Was there a new Regular Show today?

CrownAxe on
    AwesomeSig.jpg
  • Options
    NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    This weeks Scooby Doo was great. Basically, the villian of the episode made a demonic looking robot dog that sort of looked like Scooby to frame him for some crime. It ends with a showdown between the Mystery Inc. gang and said robot dog in a abandoned steel mill. They made a lot of nods to both Terminator and Aliens in the end. Best episode I've seen so far.

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    This weeks Scooby Doo was great. Basically, the villian of the episode made a demonic looking robot dog that sort of looked like Scooby to frame him for some crime. It ends with a showdown between the Mystery Inc. gang and said robot dog in a abandoned steel mill. They made a lot of nods to both Terminator and Aliens in the end. Best episode I've seen so far.

"Play dead."

Enlong on
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    CrownAxe wrote: »
    Was there a new Regular Show today?

OHFUCK! I knew I forgot something!

TheBog on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    No cake, no cake... :(

Glal on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Legend of Kells is up for instant watch on Netflix.

Check it, yo.

Atomika on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Aww, vanilla...

Godfather on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Enlong wrote: »
    Ninjabear wrote: »

"Play dead."

The whole Shaggy/Scooby/Velma "love triangle" is both hilarious and disturbing. Especially when Scooby asks "Are you cheating on me?"

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
This discussion has been closed.