Options

Lost Planet 2: Quite Pleasent Conditions

GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
edited June 2010 in Games and Technology
lostplanet21.jpg
Since I haven't seen any recent hype for this, I figured I should start a new thread devoted to Lost Planet 2. For the uninitiated, the original Lost Planet was the second of 2 new Capcom IPs from Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune (the other being Dead Rising, which has also been sequelized); it was a solid, enjoyable run-and-gunner set on a frigid planet that forced you to constantly stay on the move and hunt down the vicious insectoid Akrid that inhabit the planet for their valuable stores of Thermal Energy (T-ENG) to recover your own dwindling supply, unless you want to freeze to death. The single player campaign was pretty good, and the multiplayer was apparently popular enough with players to warrant a re-release called Lost Planet: Colonies Edition which added a slew of new multiplayer maps and modes.

LP2 takes place on the same planet, E.D.N. III, which has undergone a major thaw thanks to the efforts of Snow Pirates Wayne and Luka from the original. While the Akrid are still around and as pesky as ever, the landscape of the battlefield has shifted drastically, with massive snow drifts giving way to lush jungles and other vibrant areas:
lostplanet22.jpg
The focus this time is combat on a much larger scale, with your personally created character being joined by many others during missions, both in single player and multiplayer. Of course, that just means there are going to be even bigger Akrid, which will require a lot of teamwork and concentrated fire to take down. This new shift in gameplay style should make people who were put off by the original's "one-man-against-a-hojillion-bugs" premise much happier. Of course, you'll still have the series' trademark Vital Suits (combat mechs) to help with the squishing, but with the warmer climates, the reliance on T-ENG to power them, as well as to stay alive in general, is still unknown.

Joining the bug hunt this time are special guests including Resident Evil baddie Albert Wesker . . .
I wear sunglasses at night
. . . as well as Marcus Fenix and Dominic Santiago. You might know these guys from a little franchise called Gears of War.
WHERE'S MY WIFE ?!?!?!?
Lost Planet 2 is set for release May 18. Watching Starship Troopers to psych you up is purely optional.

Edit: Capcom's currently letting people sign up on its Lost Planet community site for an early shot at the multiplayer demo on both systems; all you have to do is register and follow the instructions. The public demo goes up on Tax Day, April 15th.

Grimthwacker on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What's this about less killing-a-million-bugs? Because killing-a-million-soldiers was the annoying part for me. That shit's got to go.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    with the warmer climates, the reliance on T-ENG to power them, as well as to stay alive in general, is still unknown.

Having the VSs drain energy makes sense, as they are machines, and need a power source. However, T-Eng no longer drains constantly, but rather when you take damage (I guess you suit uses the energy to heal you), or use some weapon that requires energy instead of ammo.

Cantido wrote:
    What's this about less killing-a-million-bugs? Because killing-a-million-soldiers was the annoying part for me. That shit's got to go.

I think the OP meant they were dropping the one-man-against-a-million-bugs aspect. Now its four-men-against-a-million-bugs. I played the PSN demo, and there were many Akrid to slaughter.

Dirty on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    What the hell's the deal with GoW in Lost Planet?

I mean, If they're going to have GoW in LP, than at least Lancers..or GTFO.

Edit: Ohhh, are they MP skins?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Actually, it's more like an entire brigade or small army versus a million bugs, if the demo is any indication.

Single player had you and about a dozen plus soldiers taking on one giant bug. Multiplayer has you with a very large group of people working to take bugs out, and you can do all sorts of awesome things, like dive down it's throat to attack it's heart, complete with modeled bug interiors, or climb on it's back and shoot it in the face.

Neither of those things has a particularly high survival rate, mind you. Leaping onto the enraged ice-worm's back tends to cause it to flip out and murderlize you. Going inside of it ends with it's digestive tract if you get pulled down too far into it. And it's sphincter appears to be a gnashing hole of sharp teeth that'd put the Sarlacc to shame.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Archonex wrote: »
    Actually, it's more like an entire brigade or small army versus a million bugs, if the demo is any indication.

Single player had you and about a dozen plus soldiers taking on one giant bug. Multiplayer has you with a very large group of people working to take bugs out, and you can do all sorts of awesome things, like dive down it's throat to attack it's heart, complete with modeled bug interiors, or climb on it's back and shoot it in the face.

Neither of those things has a particularly high survival rate, mind you. Leaping onto the enraged ice-worm's back tends to cause it to flip out and murderlize you. Going inside of it ends with it's digestive tract if you get pulled down too far into it. And it's sphincter appears to be a gnashing hole of sharp teeth that'd put the Sarlacc to shame.
    Good to see that the grappling hook mechanic hasn't been neglected in this one. It was sorely underutilized in the original, mostly as a means of transportation rather than a legitimate option in combat situations (there were only so many Akrid or VSes you could hook onto, and even then you wound up just firing a few rounds and jumping back off). Watching groups of people climb onto these massive bugs like some kind of Shadow of the Colossus rip-off should be worth the price of admission.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Oh wtf there is no activity in this thread. Anyway, sign up at lostplanetcommunity.com for 360 and PS3 early (second) demo access, the public demo is 15:th.
    Site seems to be swamped, took several tries for me to get in, also correct sign-up link is http://www.capcom-unity.com/signup1/ , for some reason the sing-up link from pop-up is wrong.
    (Those on my friendlist that are on LP1 leaderboards got a pm, you better sign up *waves cane*).

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm actually really looking forward to this.

First game was pretty simple fun and the addition of coop and bigger monsters along with customization makes it look kinda like a monster hunter lite but much prettier.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I got the beta code for this in my inbox. Wish I was at home. I liked what I got to play of the first game.

Sheep on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Signed up. Got my Xbox code. Bam.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Signed up to the Capcom community thing, does the code get sent automatically?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Is this a new demo or the same multiplayer one that was released something like a year ago?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Signed up to the Capcom community thing, does the code get sent automatically?

There will be a link to click on the main page that will eMail you your code. You gotta type in your eMail IIRC.

Sheep on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am looking forward to this like crazy.

Helloween and me are even planning a co-op LP.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wake up Capcom Unity, goddamn it.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Is this a new demo or the same multiplayer one that was released something like a year ago?

Granted, the demo/beta was really awesome what with diving down the throat of a giant salamander and killing it's guts before getting pooped out.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    grambogrambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Simultaneous release on PC? Wikipedia doesn't specify different release dates so I assume so. Hopefully good co-op on PC as well.

grambo on
    grambo..png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Hurray got my code.

When does the demo unlock?

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    KappusKappus Registered User new member
    edited March 2010
    Oh man, I just about flipped my s*it when I saw Marcus in the trailer.

Kappus on
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    deleted

capable heart on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So I signed up on that Capcom site but where do I actually get a code?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    So I signed up on that Capcom site but where do I actually get a code?

Go to brands, then Lost Planet on the top bar, then Lost Planet community in the top right.

Once you're on there there should be an option somewhere to sign up then you can get your code sent.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    smeejsmeej Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I cannot get that site to load for the life of me.

smeej on
    IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
  • Options
    RoriProfessorRoriProfessor Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    "Redeem codes are temporarily unavailable. Please check back tomorrow or keep an eye on the Unity Blog / Twitter feed for when they come back online."

:(

RoriProfessor on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Motherfucker! I can never redeem these codes because I'm too busy working while you nerds hoard the demos!

smeej on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    While the Akrid are still around and as pesky as ever, the landscape of the battlefield has shifted drastically, with massive snow drifts giving way to lush jungles and other vibrant areas:
    lostplanet22.jpg

Vibrant = brown, green-brown.

I really wish devs would put color back into shooters.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Downloadin' mah Lost Planet 2 demo.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    This game is not meant for player vs player.

They left in the hit stun "you can't fire if you're being fired upon" bullshit from LP1.

Thankfully co-op seems to be the focus.

Renzo on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I'm getting an error from the xbox saying that the code was already redeemed, when I just powered the thing on to use it and get the demo.

Not cool, Capcom.

EDIT: I take it there is no one I can contact to get this straightened out?

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Renzo on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Sounds exactly the same as in the original.

Never had much of a problem with it myself - just roll away before they get a second burst in. God, the multiplayer in the original was so awesome - probably the most under-rated online game I've ever come across. I'd very much like to play the sequel co-op, but it's about the only deathmatch title out or due out I'm at all excited about.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Cool, I didn't know the demo was up now. I just tried to go through Capcom Unity to register, but it's acting wonky right now. Maybe later. I'll update the OP with the news.

Grimthwacker on
  • Options
    AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Are you killing bugs or each other in this demo?

Ashdrake on
    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Each other. It's either Elimination (deathmatch) or Post Grab (heehee) which is kind of a Capture and Hold variant.

One map only.

Renzo on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I played a bit of the Lost Planet demo that was available before. The one with the giant salamander. I think I like teamwork more than killing each other.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This has got split-screen co-op, right? I really want to be excited about this game.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wet Bandit wrote: »
    This has got split-screen co-op, right? I really want to be excited about this game.

If a game has a well-executed splitscreen co-op mode, the likelihood of me buying it rockets up by some absurd percentage. Splitscreen rocks.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    New Video!

PC release isn't until Fall. D:

Which is a real non-selling point for me.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Anyone playing the demo?

Smeej on XBLA is always ready to kill.

smeej on
  • Options
    Dinosaur Equals GasDinosaur Equals Gas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I didn't see anything else about this and this seemed like a good spot. But has anyone done the Lost Planet Ice Block thing? There are ice blocks scattered though 8 cities that contain the Lost Planet Multiplayer Demo and some contain plushies. I was able to find 3 Ice Blocks with 2 of my friends today so we all got the beta keys. But we had to goto at least 10 locations if not more. Overall it was a lot of fun though. :)

http://www.capcom-unity.com/number6/blog/2010/04/15/lost_planet_2_cryptic_map_unveiled

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=114573261016974276493.0004829395f27c2373297&z=4

Dinosaur Equals Gas on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I heard word on the OTHER secret/special characters added. Obviously Dom/Marcus are 360 exclusives, PS3 players get a couple of Monster Hunters and bother systems, in addition to Wesker, get Frank West.

I'm probably going to need to find a source aren't I?

Gimme a sec.

EDIT: Ahhh... Here it is!
    EDIT2: Another source. This time with pretty pictures.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg