As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Fantasy General

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    With your shield or on it. We'll, ah, get you guys some shields soonish.

Edit: Also damn this thread for making me want to play again, I had other plans for tonight. Ah well.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Game looks really fun, too bad you can't upgrade your magical units. Its pretty funny how it keeps the naming convention from Panzer General, i.e. 1st Elf Chariots, 13th Treemen.

Awesome LP.

EDIT: I like how the first continent was governed by an incompetent orc. The ShadowLord's rule might not be so terrible if he didn't put worthless people into power and actually ordered lugnuts, damn you crippling lugnut shortage and a government of incompetent robot elders.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Game looks really fun, too bad you can't upgrade your magical units. Its pretty funny how it keeps the naming convention from Panzer General, i.e. 1st Elf Chariots, 13th Treemen.

Awesome LP.

I always get grumpy about the fact that the number is just what number of troop in your army a unit is, rather than what number of that particular kind it is. So if you have 16 units they are numbered 1-16th x, rather than having 1-3rd x, 1-2nd y &c. But then I am a bit OCD.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Kayne, I have but one wish and it is this: If I fall in combat, resurrect me as a Zombie. (after further reading, this apparently isn't possible, so just make it so I don't die please :P)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I am in disbelief that anyone remembers this game let alone is playing it.

Loved the MoM LP and this so far is a blast from the past. Keep it up.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    a_m_a_ta_m_a_t Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I don't know how the combat in this game works and I'm second in line.

Truly I will die the way I lived - not knowing what's going on.

(Is there a way to summarize the game mechanics? This looks like a game I would be interested in.)

a_m_a_t on
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Great LP! This game has a special place in my heart, as I was once fired from a temp job for installing and playing this on one of their computers.

Totally worth it.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    a_m_a_t wrote: »
    I don't know how the combat in this game works and I'm second in line.

Truly I will die the way I lived - not knowing what's going on.

(Is there a way to summarize the game mechanics? This looks like a game I would be interested in.)

It's a hex-grid based tabletop wargame, essentially.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    I am in disbelief that anyone remembers this game let alone is playing it.

Loved the MoM LP and this so far is a blast from the past. Keep it up.

I kinda feel that Let's Plays should be used to showcase games people may have missed that were awesome, or really bad, whatever. This isn't a concrete feeling, since at some point if no one else does I'm going to do Mega Man 9, because I am awful at it and it will be hilarious, but that's a whole different matter.

More realistically, I'm doing these games because they have a lot of nostalgia appeal for me and I am reasonably confident I can beat them. I've been playing them for years after all.

Regarding the game mechanics, Lord Marcus is going to try and cover them in the next update. (Which I am attempting to write immediately following this. It could be a bit though, don't hold your breath).

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Episode 5, Onward Brave Arcadians
    The road had been long and hard; you and your fellow volunteers had marched from one end of Keldonia to the other, making camp in the midst of an army of strange magical creatures, and engaging in desperate combat with the vile forces of the former king Dragga. Now it was time to go home, already the brave squires who had joined you during the Battle of the Scarlet Plain had packed their saddlebags and set off for their homes. Even the strange, but oddly friendly lizardfolk who had joined after that battle had taken their leave and set off for the swamp that was their home. And yet, you and your fellows had found reason after reason to put off returning homeward. Perhaps it was the dread of returning Devoutly Apathetic and Xtarath's bodies to their families; you could still remember vividly how they died, speared by what seemed like a multitude of goblin lances. Perhaps you just wanted to see the army on it's way, so that you could be really, truly certain that even without you the war of liberation was continuing. The Archmage had been busy these last few days crafting floating islands of cloud and mist with which to ferry the army to the Isle of Four Winds. Rumor had it the Isle was ruled by another wizard, an evil wizard, with whom the Archmage bore a deep grudge.

Regardless of the reason, on the morn the rest of the army would set out and you and the rest of the Arcadians had yet to leave the army. Finally it was a_m_a_t who broke the silence, asking what everyone was thinking. "What do you think will happen to Keldonia if the Archmage loses?"

There is a long silence as the Arcadians imagine the horrible retribution the Shadowlord would visit upon their homeland. "We should go with them." You state hesitantly, "If only to make sure we did everything we could to prevent that."

A much shorter pause is followed by agreement from the Arcadians, hesitant at first, but ending with shouts and cheers, and with a new enthusiasm the former farmers head to speak with Lord Marcus about receiving some actual military training.

marcus.png Huh. I guess Calis was right, he said you lot were more than just an average group of volunteers. Alright, let's get you some real weapons and armor and I'll give you a quick rundown on how combat really works.

Congratulations! Your PEASANTS evolved into MILITIA!

marcus.png Alright, let's have a look at you then.

barena148.png
    marcus.png Not too shabby, not too shabby at all. Let's take it from the top then. You lot are Militia, tier 1 light infantry, mortal of course, since there isn't any other kind. It costs 16 gold to outfit a group of militia. Like all non-hero, non-spellcaster units, you fight as a group of 15, and as we aren't in combat, you currently have maximum strength.

barena125.png
    marcus.png To use an example of an earlier fight, you can take Deaths, indicated by the skull symbol on the left, and Wounds, indicated by the bloodsplatter on the right during combat. Wounds represent all sorts of stuff, from stragglers to actual minor injuries, but all can be regained by spending a turn resting instead of attacking. You can still move before resting, just can't engage in combat. Deaths on the other hand, are exactly what it says, and can't be replaced unless you recruit from a deployment zone around a friendly castle or town, though they are automatically replaced at the end of a battle. Regardless of whether it is from Deaths or Wounds, a unit which has 0 effective combatants is destroyed.

barena148.png
    marcus.png Returning to your info sheet, you lot currently have 55 experience, for every 100 you get, you will increase in rank, and gain a couple of bonuses. More specifically you get +5 to your starting and max morale, +2 to armor, +2 to your main attack (in your case melee) and +1 to melee if melee isn't your main attack. The Kills value over there keeps track of how many enemy units you are specifically responsible for. Speaking of Morale, your current and maximum morale is listed under Experience. Normally at the beginning of battle your current would be your max, but since we are being led by Krell, who is charismatic as a dead treeman, all units start out at -20. If Calis were in charge the opposite would be the case, as that man can make one hell of a damn good speech.

Below that is the number of attacks your unit can make, units make a number of attacks equal to their maximum strength minus wounds and deaths, so as a unit is damaged, it becomes less effective. Below that is a listing of the attack values of a unit, most units have melee and perhaps either skirmish or missile listed here. Far as I know there is only one guy crazy enough to try and have all three. Following that is armor, then magical resistance (out of 100), search range, which is how far a unit can spot enemies, and movement.

When a unit is attacking, it compares its attack value, whether missile, skirmish, or melee, against the target's armor and rolls a number of attacks equal to it's strength against that modifier. There's some heavy duty math in here, but I usually just play it by ear. Keep in mind that the opponent does the same thing simultaneously for each phase of combat (missile, skirmish, then melee). A low result does no damage, a slightly higher result will cause a suppression, which takes causes morale damage, a medium result causes a wound, and a high result a death. Wounds and Deaths naturally have a morale penalty associated with them as well.

That's probably enough yammering for now, we're about to head out. I'll get back with you lot and talk about movement, combat modifiers and morale in greater depth later. If we're all still alive of course.

barena140.png
    barena141.png
    barena142.png
    barena143.png
    barena144.png
    barena145.png
    barena146.png
    barena147.png
    krell.png Our researchers have been busy, and our mortal unit research has by and large caught up with our magical unit research, for the moment.

calis.png In addition, our supply train has expanded enough to support another 4 units.

krell.png It should, of course, go without saying that we don't have enough cash on hand to upgrade everything and afford new units. Your thoughts?

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I wish to volunteer for duty, sir!

[Edit]

I'd also like to say that despite Krell's background as a mage, Spell Caster units like the ones that just became available aren't terribly useful compared to other types. If we're short on gold, that'd be a good place to make budget cuts to.

Skulkraken on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    So the options are upgrade the existing units or buy more troops? How much of a step up is the upgrade? I vote buy more light cavalry unless the difference between the upgraded units and the current ones is really big.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We can afford to upgrade everything and purchase some units, purchase 4 expensive units and upgrade a few things, or upgrade some stuff and purchase some or 4 medium expense units.

Regarding spellcaster units: I usually like to get up the Healers and then cut funding there. They would be a lot better if they kept all the spells the previous tiers knew.

Absent any input, my plan is to buy 1 cavalry, 1 light cavalry, 1 light infantry, and 1 skirmisher, and upgrade as much as I can.

Edit: Hold on, let me get a bit more info for you guys, this isn't quite fair. I just got burned out on writing halfway through that update and cut it short.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    We can afford to upgrade everything and purchase some units, purchase 4 expensive units and upgrade a few things, or upgrade some stuff and purchase some or 4 medium expense units.

Regarding spellcaster units: I usually like to get up the Healers and then cut funding there. They would be a lot better if they kept all the spells the previous tiers knew.

Absent any input, my plan is to buy 1 cavalry, 1 light cavalry, 1 light infantry, and 1 skirmisher, and upgrade as much as I can.

Sounds like a better plan than me randomly guessing what sounds like it might be effective. I'm assuming Total War style massed cavalry probably won't work if your suggestions are so balanced.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    i wish to volunteer.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Episode 5.5, Number Crunching
    mordra.png I thought I was in charge of Intelligence, not logistics.

krell.png Just run with it. You didn't have any lines in the main update anyways.

mordra.png *Sigh* Fine, whatever. We currently have 133 gold in reserve, and enough supply to support 4 new units. In addition, we have the Amulet of Resistance in the Item Vault.

barena152.png
    barena153.png
    barena154.png
    barena155.png
    barena156.png
    barena157.png
    barena158.png
    barena159.png
    barena160.png
    barena161.png
    mordra.png The above are the troops available to us, in general, we will always want to purchase the best unit available, buying magical units if available. We're not going to buy any siege units, so I'm not sure why we even included that as an image. Krell's plan to purchase another Elf Chariots, a Staff Slinger, a Militia, and an Elf Knights would cost us 80 gold leaving 53 for upgrades.

barena015.png
    barena149.png
    mordra.png We have 1 units of Slingers that we can upgrade to Staff Slingers for 11 gold.

barena027.png
    barena150.png
    mordra.png We have 2 units of Elven Archers that we can upgrade to Longbowmen for 16 gold each, or a total of 32 for both.

barena016.png
    barena151.png
    mordra.png We have 2 units of Light Cavalry that we can upgrade to Elf Knights for 11 gold each, or 22 for both.

mordra.png That adds up to 65 for upgrades needed, not counting the additional 48 gold replacing our Air Warriors with more Treemen would cost. If I had my druthers, I would leave upgrading the Archers for last, since their job is mostly to grant our infantry covering fire, so they shouldn't be in danger much. Hopefully. Your input will, of course be noted, probably ignored, but noted.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    RedThorn wrote: »

Sounds like a better plan than me randomly guessing what sounds like it might be effective. I'm assuming Total War style massed cavalry probably won't work if your suggestions are so balanced.

We-ell, it works, until the third continent, whereupon cavalry heavy armies tend to get rodgered but good. (It is a jungle continent you see).

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Get those slingers upgraded!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    I am REALLY enjoying this LP, despite initially thinking it was a silly looking game.

Kayne, could you put embedded youtube links to (relevant) music in your episodes like you did for episode 2? You've gone through a lot of trouble making a fun story, and the music in episode 2 really helped the atmosphere while reading.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    TekDragon wrote: »
    I am REALLY enjoying this LP, despite initially thinking it was a silly looking game.

Kayne, could you put embedded youtube links to (relevant) music in your episodes like you did for episode 2? You've gone through a lot of trouble making a fun story, and the music in episode 2 really helped the atmosphere while reading.

Planning on it, except that not much of the music is available online and I can't get it to work here, so I am husbanding them for future episodes.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Episode 6, The Battle of the Vale of Sorrow

barena162.png
    barena163.png
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilakQH6ayP4
    mordra.png It's about time you guys got here, I've been getting my butt handed to me here.

krell.png A Sorceress may travel on Seahorse back, but an army must move slower.

mordra.png Whatever. The rebellion on the Isle of the Winds went pretty well at first, we liberated Castle Highwatch and nearly reached the Caerovian Peninsula. At about which point Aelcar got a little bit crazy. It's been undead and mechanical monstrosities ever since.

calis.png Undead? Monstrous!

krell.png Yes, well, Aelcar was always a bit short on morals. I regret I failed in my attempt to instill them.

marcus.png You two have a history?

krell.png Indeed. Aelcar was my apprentice once. Now I suppose I must put aside my memories of those happier times and deal with him once and for all. But enough of that maudlin nonsense, what is the situation Mordra?

barena164.png
    mordra.png Right. As you can see, the Vale of Sorrow makes Cynehelm Valley look like a cakewalk. Our objectives here are to protect Ellerbrook, capture the towns of Leavesly and Watelford, and successfully invest the Tower of Tombs.

marcus.png Not asking much are we?

mordra.png The terrain here constrains us a bit.

calis.png I'll say, this is perfect cavalry country. Which, of course, means that if we want to establish a defensible position we'll need to hold the Tower.

mordra.png Precisely. That's not all though. Aelcar has Mechmaster Ferras locked up the the Caerovian Peninsula, but after we nearly got to him earlier it's unlikely that Ferras will be there for much longer. If we clear the Vale quickly we might have a chance to go liberate him.

krell.png I am, not fond, of mechanical constructs, but I suppose denying Ferris to Aelcar would be worthwhile.

mordra.png And, but this is just rumor mind, but I've heard that the legendary Priest of Handola is fighting against Aelcar's undead around the Temple near the Tower. If we act fast we might be able to get there before he gets overwhelmed.

calis.png The Priest would be a welcome addition to our forces, he is a man of saintly temperament, and no mean fighting skill.

marcus.png What?

calis.png He's a good guy, not bad in a fight either.

marcus.png Thank you, Krell is starting to wear off on you.

krell.png Is that so bad? A small vocabulary is the hallmark of a small mind.

marcus.png Whatever.

barena165.png
    barena166.png
    krell.png 16 turns, riiight, well we will do our best to clear the Vale quickly. To that end I deploy our forces into two battle groups. The cavalry will follow the road to the south-west, while the bulk of our forces will march straight south.

barena169.png
    krell.png Aelcar's forces, being undead, desecrated Wachian's rest, but did not loot it. Our newly upgraded Elf Knights feel Wachian would agree the treasures of his tomb would be well spent fighting the Shadowlord and his minions.

barena170.png
    marcus.png We really need another unit of archers.

krell.png Yes, I think I may have erred slightly in our unit purchases, ah well.

barena171.png
    calis.png At least the cavalry looks good, let's see Aelcar try and force the river. But what are the Arcadians doing over there?

krell.png I'm sure they know what they are doing. Well, let's go ahead and see what Aelcar does.

barena172.png
    barena173.png
    marcus.png Hey, what gives?

krell.png Aelcar knows the same combat spells I do, weakness is an interesting choice though.

mordra.png He chose; poorly.

barena174.png
    barena177.png
    calis.png Those elves deserve some sort of commendation for this.

krell.png I'm not really certain what Aelcar has against them.

marcus.png Well, they did have to retreat finally.

mordra.png Who cares about that? They kicked ass and took names!

barena175.png
    krell.png Well that was, something.

calis.png Given how well those Screamers are performing, I am suddenly a lot more optimistic about the air war.

barena176.png
    mordra.png The 10th Elf Knights don't appear to be made of the same stuff as the 6th.

calis.png Damn all undead anyways. Skeletons are a blight.

barena179.png
    marcus.png Those Goblin Archers are either very brave, or very stupid.

barena178.png
    krell.png I'd give my hat for some archers that could keep up with cavalry, this could have been so much better with missile support.

calis.png Don't be silly, no one could possibly fire a bow from horseback. At least those Undead Cavalry got what was coming to them.

barena186.png
    mordra.png This could take a while; Bronzemen aren't a joke, unlike Screamers.

krell.png I have every confidence in our Staff Slingers. Besides, while Aelcar has the Mechmaster, he doesn't have an engineer.

marcus.png What kind of idiot would field mech units without the ability to repair them?

krell.png Aelcar the Shadow Wizard lady and gentlemen!

barena187.png
    calis.png Cavalry do not belong in the forest.

marcus.png Undead Cavalry, meet Loric.

barena188.png
    krell.png A bloodless victory for the Arcadians.

calis.png Admittedly, the enemy unit had been worn down a lot beforehand.

barena189.png
    mordra.png Well that could have gone better.

krell.png Damn insufferable random number generator.

barena190.png
    krell.png I'm tired of Skeletons already.

barena191.png
    barena192.png
    krell.png At least those archers are pulling their weight, barely.

marcus.png Those skirmishers took a beating.

mordra.png Better them than anything else really.

barena193.png
    krell.png Damn. Didn't quite get them.

mordra.png That's the first time those Conjurers have seen actual combat.

krell.png Yes, mostly because they are terrible at it.

barena194.png
    krell.png Case in point.

calis.png Now that's just not fair. standing up to a cavalry charge is just not in their job description.

mordra.png Well no, but they do suck.

calis.png Fair enough.

barena195.png
    marcus.png So much for that bloodless victory thing.

barena196.png
    marcus.png Hey Krell, light infantry gets major bonuses in rough terrain.

krell.png You could have said that a few seconds ago.

barena197.png
    krell.png Turns out archers even give defensive fire against skirmish attacks, who knew?

marcus.png Uhm...

krell.png Quiet Marcus.

marcus.png Right. I think Loric has those Skeleton Slingers well in hand. Was what I was going to say.

mordra.png Sure you were.

barena198.png
    krell.png I wish he would go back to casting weakness.

barena199.png
    marcus.png A lucky break, we've been stuck on this Bronzeman for far too long.

barena200.png
    krell.png Those cheeky bastards.

calis.png Aelcar moved one of those beat up Skeletons back towards Ellerbrook, so a few units were diverted from the front lines to protect the town.

mordra.png We lose automatically if it is captured, even if by a crappy beat up bunch of skeletons.

barena201.png
    marcus.png And back to doing well, we'll make real soldiers out of you lot yet.

barena202.png
    barena205.png
    krell.png Capturing the poorly named Dead Stones nets us our first basic hero.

marcus.png That fellow looks familiar somehow

barena203.png
    krell.png Loric takes a break from the slingers and goes to deal with some cavalry.

barena204.png
    krell.png The archers keep the slingers occupied though.

mordra.png Do elven archers get a bonus for fighting from the trees?

marcus.png You know, I have no idea.

barena206.png
    calis.png We picked up the Shrine of the Winds and the town of Spearsleah this turn, once we liberate Aelfwalt from those slingers we'll have cleared the top third of the map. More importantly, we've pretty much annihilated Aelcar's mobile forces, should get easier from here.

barena207.png
    krell.png Stop that!

barena208.png
    calis.png Yep, smooth sailing from here, note the poorly defended victory location.

barena209.png
    mordra.png Oh goody, another Bronzeman.

marcus.png Actually, that went pretty well, hopefully this one can be dealt with faster.

barena210.png
    marcus.png They dealt with that counter attack really well, we should take the town this turn.

barena211.png
    krell.png We do, and then Aelcar brings up reinforcements and promptly takes it back.

mordra.png We'll see about that.

barena212.png
    calis.png The Goblin Archers do the sensible thing and surrender.

marcus.png Units without a clear retreat path will surrender if they fail a morale check.

barena213.png
    barena214.png
    krell.png Watelford falls to our forces. Both the Tower of Tombs and the Temple of Handola are just beyond that river.

calis.png Which, conveniently, cavalry can get across at a reasonable pace.

barena215.png
    krell.png Indeed.

marcus.png *Grumble*

mordra.png We might actually do this, it's only turn 7.

barena216.png
    calis.png Skirmish, skirmish, lol.

mordra.png Please don't do that.

calis.png Sorry.

barena217.png
    marcus.png The Temple is cleared of foes, but we have no one around to liberate it, next turn though.

barena218.png
    calis.png Cavalry is not for Tower storming!

krell.png Eh, they'll get it eventually.

barena219.png
    mordra.png We got some volunteers from the Shrine of the Winds, they promptly "volunteered" to take point.

barena220.png
    krell.png Let's do this.

barena221.png
    barena222.png
    barena223.png
    calis.png Excellent, it is good to see the Priest again.

mordra.png Gah! Can you maybe get him to put some clothes on?

calis.png The Priest is an ascetic, he feels excessive clothing weakens the soul.

mordra.png Are we allowed to get any heroes that wear pants? Just one, that's all I'm asking for.

barena225.png
    krell.png See, they figured it out.

calis.png If you say so.

barena226.png
    krell.png Almost had it this turn, we'll get it next turn then.

barena227.png
    mordra.png Elves don't like fire. Who would have thought?

barena228.png
    barena229.png
    krell.png His paltry cantrips won't save him though. We have won the first real battle of the campaign, handily even.

marcus.png Fast enough that Mechmaster Ferras hasn't been moved yet even.

mordra.png Right, there are three possible battlefields opened, but we'll be going there first.

calis.png More Elf Knights, that's good.

mordra.png They are volunteers.

calis.png That's bad.

marcus.png The Sergeant isn't though.

calis.png That's good!

barena230.png
    barena231.png
    barena232.png
    krell.png Also some research we're probably going to never need finished. Hurray.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Do you ever use bombadiers? I was playing this game earlier and they seemed...underwhelming. Maybe I am not doing it right.

Actually watching the LP might be more fun than playing this game. Great Job!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I may have missed it, but is there a section that describes what all of the unit types are supposed to do, as well as what all the special abilities mean?

It's also scary to watch your name slowly move up the list of the Volunteers ... :D

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2010
    Is there any calvary archers? Or was Calis not joking?

TekDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Underwhelming is a pretty good way to describe Bombardiers. They are pretty much flying archers, and for some reason archers never really do a whole lot of damage in direct combat.

Some of the later light cavalry appear to be cavalry archers, but they still act as skirmishers on horses rather than cavalry archers. It's pretty much impossible to get defensive fire bonii for your cavalry.

I don't think I ever explicitly laid out what the unit types do, hopefully it becomes obvious as they are used. If not I'll throw that in the next Marcus boot camp update.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    The beginning of that battle looked a lot rougher than any on the first continent, though it was pretty easy going once you broke through.

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Teriferin wrote: »
    The beginning of that battle looked a lot rougher than any on the first continent, though it was pretty easy going once you broke through.

That is one of the cool things about Fantasy General, each continent is ruled by a different evil minion type, and they all have their own quirks. Aelcar tends to be really aggressive and throw everything at you within the first couple of turns. This can get hairy, but it does allow you to use your archers to sucker him into making rash attacks. Since he doesn't really know the meaning of "strategic reserve" after that battles on the Isle tend to be pretty easy. Dragga of course was just dumb, and lazy. The next guy we'll run into is a bit of a pain, for reasons I will go over when we get there.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    3rd contitnent suckkkkkssss! At least I knew and have some good light and heavy infantry, but still those maps are huge. You need calvary for some of the open spaces to rush and cap cities once the battle is winding down.

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mad MacMad Mac Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    This is a weird feeling. I never played Master of Magic, but I played and liked Age of Wonders which was kinda/sorta based on it. I never played Fantasy General, but I played and liked Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy which was kinda/sorta based on it...

With this game, I find myself wishing Fantasy Wars had the option of playing 4 different armies at the start like this game does. I also like the added details with the researching and such.

Mad Mac on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Wow, I had forgotten how good the music for this game was.

Great update, Kayne! Keep it up <3

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Episode 7, The Battle of the Caerovian Peninsula

barena233.png
    krell.png And by the Council of Five, they mean me, just because they called me up to ask me to scry the place doesn't mean they get to take credit for it. Anyways, what's the sitrep Mordra?

barena234.png
    mordra.png Not much to report here chief, we've caught Aelcar off guard. the peninsula is a pretty small battlefield, jam packed with places of interest. Realistically, I would guess we'll be seeing a lot of mech units here, which isn't that bad, as Aelcar has no way to repair them.

marcus.png Given how aggressive Aelcar is, we can probably just establish a defensive line and wait him out.

mordra.png Right, no time constraints for this battle, play it safe.

barena235.png
    krell.png Cramped deployment area aside, I think this should be pretty simple, we might actually outnumber Aelcar's forces here if that's all he has available.

calis.png I somehow doubt that.

krell.png Well, let's take a look around then.

barena241.png
    calis.png Well. Nevermind then, this should be fun.

krell.png Alright then, let us get this show on the road.

barena242.png
    barena243.png
    krell.png Starfall Altar is cleared easily enough, now we see what Aelcar will do.

calis.png Prepare to receive charge!

barena244.png
    barena245.png
    barena246.png
    mordra.png Ouch.

krell.png Indeed. Our Pegasi get hammered as a result of their reconnaissance. Thankfully, we switched their Wand of Fireball for the Amulet of Resistance, so Aelcar's whirlwind fetish should prove less troublesome now.

marcus.png Much like Dragga, Aelcar uses his siege weapons to fire on our sky hunters, although Mercury Guns are a bit more potent than Disease Throwers.

barena248.png
    calis.png Meanwhile the 12th Elf Chariots also absorb a lot of heat, including a charge by one of Aelcar's Rolling Men. They survive to fight another day though, as do the Pegasi, albeit barely.

barena249.png
    barena250.png
    krell.png Sometimes it is necessary to attack into defensive fire, in this case to open the path so Loric could more permanently deal with those archers.

mordra.png Who is the aggressive commander in this battle again?

krell.png Hush you.

barena251.png
    marcus.png The Steamphont found the Priest's arguments rather unconvincing.

calis.png He found a hail of staff sling bullets a bit more so though.

barena252.png
    marcus.png You know, that guy looks kind of familiar too, what is going on with these Sergeants?

calis.png Ah, Nothing important Marcus. Best not to dwell on it.

barena254.png
    krell.png At the end of the 2nd turn, Aelcar is already running low on combat effective troops.

barena255.png
    krell.png Ah! Someone kill that damn thing!

barena256.png
    calis.png Fortunately our newly upgraded Longbowmen are up to the task, and the Pegasi are finally able to rest and recuperate.

mordra.png There's a lot of that going around this turn.

barena257.png
    barena258.png
    krell.png About the only notable event is a veritable slew of Arcadians liberating the town of Stonegate.

barena259.png
    krell.png It seems Aelcar's forces are catching up on their R&R as well, the only thing of note during his turn was that those Balloon Hangers finally joined the fight.

mordra.png Those are the most ridiculous things I've ever seen.

marcus.png And how does that qualify as a magic unit anyways? It's a guy tied to a balloon with a rifle?

krell.png No idea, part of the reason we don't have any.

calis.png Aelcar also recruited a unit of Flying Monkeys to replace the Screamers he lost.

marcus.png It is actually possible to hire and deploy troops mid-combat, although I think this is the first time we've seen it happen.

krell.png Naturally we shouldn't ever be forced to such drastic measures.

barena261.png
    barena262.png
    krell.png The Pegasi are back in the fight, and we teach Aelcar why bombardiers shouldn't be left unescorted. And give his Monkeys a taste of Aelcar's favorite spell to ensure that the bombardiers stay unescorted.

barena263.png
    calis.png Xtarath continues to kick ass, while Devoutly Apathetic continues to be so profoundly mediocre that he hasn't done anything worth noting yet.

barena264.png
    mordra.pngIron Giants are way overpowering at this point. Which is, of course, why the volunteers were there to take the brunt of that.

barena265.png
    mordra.png So very, very mediocre.

barena266.png
    barena267.png
    marcus.png Can you spot the difference?

barena268.png
    calis.png Xtarath remains awesome.

barena269.png
    barena270.png
    krell.png And the Arcadians claim the cave, netting us some loot, and Aelcar a unit of very badly positioned Skeletons, who proceed to get whomped on.

barena272.png
    mordra.png Oh.

krell.png That'll do DA, that'll do.

barena273.png
    marcus.png That is the worst assault I have ever seen.

barena274.png
    krell.png And DA pummels the Iron Giant into submission

calis.png Soo-per-man...

mordra.png *sniffle*

barena275.png
    barena276.png
    barena277.png
    krell.png Excellent, time to upgrade our infantry finally. We had enough gold to upgrade our Air Warriors before this battle, but since the research on Giants was so close to being finished I decided to hold off.

mordra.png Speaking of research, we can research Mech units now that we have Ferras.

barena278.png
    krell.png Yes, but while we can field them now, we can't repair them until we find a competent field engineer.

marcus.png Ferras is more of a design kinda guy, not good at fixing combat damage.

barena279.png
    barena280.png
    krell.png We now have the option of attacking either the Forest of the Weeping Wind in the north, or Broken Fang Pass in the south. Mordra?

mordra.png Neither one is a good option, lots of rough terrain, perfect for ambushes, also Aelcar has some sort of barrier up that prevents scrying, so we won't know about the exact are Aelcar's forces will attack us until we get there.

calis.png Unfortunately, we have to pass through one of those areas to enter the eastern side of the continent.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    FerrosolFerrosol Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    vote Broken Fang Pass Sounds like a cooler name. Anyway nice update.

Ferrosol on
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can't believe Iron Giants have so much armor. Thats ridiculous.

Also, I vote Broken Fang Pass!!

Smaug6 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Forest of the Weeping Wind sounds like Seattle, so I vote we go for the Pass, instead.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Forest of the Weeping Wind!

Edit: And I wouldn't mind a unit or two being named the Asmodean Asskickers. Maybe some of those new Heavy Infantry dudes?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TeriferinTeriferin Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Broken Fang Pass!

Also, were those elephants wearing Canons? How could your army stand up to such a force?

Teriferin on
    teriferin#1625
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Steam powered cannons nonetheless. Mostly we fireballed it a bunch and then threw rocks at it. Throwing rocks at things seems particularly effective, oddly.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Broken Fang Pass!

Broken Fang means ez-mode ritÉ ?

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Nice LP! Elven Legacy makes soooo much more sense now.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Episode 8, The Battle of Broken Fang Pass

barena281.png
    barena282.png
    mordra.png The terrain around here is what might be best described as: "Awful."

marcus.png Our deployment area is almost entirely mountains or hills, that's not going to work well.

krell.png As you can see, the pass runs mostly north-south, and then it hangs off to the east. Most of the combat here will center in that pass.

calis.png Mostly because the terrain constrains us from going anywhere else.

mordra.png Primary objective here is to eliminate Aelcar's forces, secondary objectives include looting some shrines and liberating the town in the south-east, but we're not going to lose any sleep over those.

barena283.png
    krell.png Wonderful. We deployed to face an attack from the south and it looks like Aelcar will be coming at us from the east, to start with at least. This will get interesting.

barena284.png
    mordra.png First things first, send the expendable scouts forward to get a look at what we're facing.

marcus.png Looks like freeing Ferras has removed Mech units from Aelcar's army.

krell.png Or lessened their number at least. On the other hand, that means he'll focus on summoning new units, like those Treemen there.

barena285.png
    marcus.png The Arcadians strike the first real blow and eliminate some of Aelcar's Apprentices.

barena286.png
    mordra.png And now we're just being mean.

calis.png Right, by blocking all the non-mountain provinces with our light units, Aelcar's forces are basically immobilized.

barena287.png
    barena289.png
    marcus.png Light Infantry fighting in rough terrain, lot's of bonuses to each side. Tends to get pretty bloody.

barena290.png
    barena291.png
    calis.png Goblin Wolf Riders are no match for Elf Knights.

krell.png Unfortunately, being broken by that fight, they didn't fare so well against Aelcar's Treemen.

barena293.png
    barena294.png
    krell.png Those Goblin Archers sallied from the shrine they were guarding, which turns out to have been a really bad decision.

barena295.png
    barena296.png
    krell.png Our forces put the screws on Aelcar's first force, while our scouts in the south have spotted the first line of his second.

barena297.png
    calis.png Excellent, the shrine those archers were in had a magic shield.

marcus.png The Chariots will hold onto the item for now, we can reassign it once we get back to camp.

barena300.png
    krell.png The 3rd Giant doesn't enjoy being skirmished it seems.

barena301.png
    barena302.png
    mordra.png Fortunately, those Wolf Riders aren't going to be around to bother it anymore.

marcus.png Giants are interesting because they, like heroes, are single entity units, meaning they only take wounds, but they only have 10 of them to take, unlike the 15 health squads get.

calis.png Functionally, this means they are a bit more fragile, but can rest up to full strength regardless of how much damage they've taken.

krell.png We scrapped those Air Warriors for Giants, but kept the Treemen. Not for any real reason, it just felt right.

barena304.png
    krell.png It seems Aelcar's second force is moving north as well.

mordra.png Speaking of Air Warriors.

krell.png Yes, perhaps losing Ferras hurt Aelcar more than I thought. He never was as adept a summoner as myself, or even you Mordra.

mordra.png Even me? What's that supposed to mean Krell?

krell.png Ah.. perhaps I misspoke.

barena305.png
    calis.png Holy...

marcus.png That was one hell of a fireball.

barena306.png
    krell.png The southern shrine was a bit less favorable to us.

barena307.png
    krell.png Another archer sallies forth.

calis.png Maybe someone should tell Aelcar what archers are supposed to be used for?

marcus.png Hell no!

barena308.png
    krell.png It should be noted that those are highly experienced Air Warriors at least.

barena309.png
    krell.png Did we go over how bad magic-user units are yet?

mordra.png I think so.

marcus.png Some Conjurers somewhere right?

krell.png Probably. Anyways, Apprentices are the tier 0 spellcaster units. They are so awful.

barena310.png
    calis.png A shrine does not count as clear terrain, so those Undead Cavalry don't get a bonus for charging. Which as it turns out, they could have really used.

barena311.png
    calis.png You know, I would still prefer Malric, but Loric is turning out to be pretty good in his own right.

mordra.png You know, looking at them, I wonder if he's got any giant blood in him?

barena312.png
    marcus.png Those Apprentices don't seem to be getting the message.

barena313.png
    barena314.png
    krell.png This turn went very badly for Aelcar in general.

marcus.png Well, we did seize the mountains.

calis.png We have the high ground, Aelcar cannot win!

mordra.png I wish you would stop doing that.

barena315.png
    krell.png The Treemen politely inform the Apprentices that this is a battlefield, not a classroom.

barena316.png
    krell.png I'm not very fond of siege engines, but that's not because they aren't useful. It's just that they are so slow it's hard to get them in position to be useful. In this case though, they are doing excellent work softening up Aelcar's forces.

barena317.png
    mordra.png Haven't seen that in a while.

krell.png We decline.

barena318.png
    marcus.png Aelcar continues to suffer the results of attacking light units in rough terrain.

barena319.png
    krell.png The last shrine is looted, making us 80 gold richer.

barena320.png
    marcus.png And the Arcadians finish off the last unit, but not without cost.

barena321.png
    mordra.png I think, at this point, we probabyl know some gold is spent on research, they can stop telling us.

calis.png Hurrah, more supplies! We can support another two units.

krell.png We're buying another archer, and I have no idea what else.

barena322.png
    barena323.png
    krell.png And the fruits of that "some gold."

marcus.png The Arcadians will appreciate some new gear I think.

mordra.png Unfortunately, Hydras are a lot less cool than they sound.

krell.png Like Giants, they are single entity units. However, they are 1 hex slower than previous cavalry, and aren't a significant improvement stat wise.

barena324.png
    mordra.png Now that we've broken through the mountains, we have three options. We can attack either Cape Havoc in the north, the Sundered Plains in the center, or Rholmere in the south.

krell.png The choice isn't terribly important, we'll probably be visiting at least two of these before we can safely assault Aelcar's castle.

Kane Red Robe on